What do you think the Jets record could be if....

Villain The Foe

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

I find KC's schedule from last year a very good case in point of all of the above :

Insanely difficult especially in the beginning part of of the season

First 6 weeks - Texans, Broncos, Packers, Bengals, Bears, Vikings ... there's FIVE eventual playoff teams right there, 4 of them division winners. Result : 1-5 start. Most people wrote them off at this point. Much like if the Jets start 1-5 this year they'll be buried and forgotten about

Last 10 weeks - Steelers, Lions, Broncos, Chargers, Bills, Raiders, Chargers, Ravens, Browns, Raiders ... a total of TWO playoff teams, BOTH of whom were missing their franchise QB when KC played them (or in Denver's case Manning left the game part way through). Denver were also missing Ware and Talib, and Sanders was playing injured. Other than that the toughest match ups were Buffalo and Raiders * 2, with only one of those being on the road. Ravens were an injury riddled mess, SD likewise, and the Browns and the Lions were ... the Browns and the Lions. Result : 10-0 finish and a WC spot

We have a pretty good team, and our defense got better and will give us a chance to compete in every game

In many of the games it was the D that kept them in it  - direct quote from the Denver game report on NFL.com ...

In 7 of those 10 games overall the opponents failed to score more than 14 points. The Chargers managed a single FG in each of their matchups.

Teams you'd expect to be good that flat out stunk

SD going 4-12? Balt 5-11?No-one would have predicted that at the start of the year

Injuries. Can't predict them.

Big Ben. Manning. Flacco. Suggs. Talib, Ware, Sanders as mentioned above. And I'm sure there were more. Chiefs main injury was Jamaal Charles - great player, but an easier position to fill in, West did a great job and in fact they may have played better after that injury.

Now I'm not predicting the same for the Jets - a 10-0 finish would be a miracle especially playing NE twice in that span. But NE twice w. Brady is very different from NE twice w. Garropolo, just like Steelers w. Ben is very different from Steelers w. Landry

Aside from that there are no games I would see as truly scary after Week 6. So yes, a tough start, but it's a 16 game season, and the later it gets in the year the more the injuries mount up. Maybe you're on the positive side of that, maybe the negative side.

First 6 weeks - 5 playoff teams from last year (sound familiar?)

Last 10 weeks - 2 playoff teams from last year (both NE) (sound familiar)?

11-5 and a WC spot here we come! :D 

This is exceptionally well done. It's really hard to say what to expect so far away, so we will have to wait. 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/19/2016 at 9:19 AM, JiF said:

So what you're saying is, him winning 8 games as a rookie doesnt count? 

Which of those twelve touchdowns he threw that year were the most impressive to you? Any of the 21 interceptions not really his fault? His record in games in which he threw for more than 190 yards (his average), is that what got ya? The behind the back sack fumble? The forty three sacks he took?

Geno, like Mark Sanchez before him, won nothing. He was a better QB in his second season and he "won" the Jets four games.

4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

I'll tell you what, the board has been pretty damn interesting over the last month with all the Fitz/Geno/Petty/Hackenburg opinions.

Your contribution has been invaluable. Kind of like an ex-wife all the time telling you how bad you are. 

geno has a lot of ability, and I think plenty of football smarts, but his main challenge continues to be leadership and basically being a "football player"

the impression I have gotten from geno over the years is he is a kid who is really good at something he doesn't like, but it can make you a millionaire, so he is riding is as long as he can

he strikes me as an introvert who would rather be reading than acting like a macho jock

the problem is he has to lead 53 macho jocks, so yeah

the optimistic outlook is he learned something after last seasons historically humbling experience and has matured some and his talents combined with marshall decker and forte leads to a good offense

the negative outlook is you are what you are and he gives us the same ol BS

13 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

I'll tell you what, the board has been pretty damn interesting over the last month with all the Fitz/Geno/Petty/Hackenburg opinions.

its always more interesting to see pats* fans rationalize cheating.  excuse bingo is a fun game

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Which of those twelve touchdowns he threw that year were the most impressive to you? Any of the 21 interceptions not really his fault? His record in games in which he threw for more than 190 yards (his average), is that what got ya? The behind the back sack fumble? The forty three sacks he took?

Geno, like Mark Sanchez before him, won nothing. He was a better QB in his second season and he "won" the Jets four games.

Pretty sure Geno was the starting QB for an 8 win team.  When I look up stuff on him it says so, so I think he did. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Pretty sure Geno was the starting QB for an 8 win team.  When I look up stuff on him it says so, so I think he did. 

Oh, I apologize, then. I thought you said Geno won eight games when you said Geno won eight games.

You were better off not responding at all.

13 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Oh, I apologize, then. I thought you said Geno won eight games when you said Geno won eight games.

You were better off not responding at all.

Did you know:

During their historic 8-8 season, Jets rookie Geno Smith had a four-game stretch in which he completed fewer than 10 passes per game, threw zero touchdowns and six interceptions while failing to score an offensive touchddown of any kind in two of those four games.

I don't care how bad your weapons are on offense...in today's NFL, fewer than 10 completions four weeks in a row?  You'd think he would have to be trying to be that inept.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Did you know:

During their historic 8-8 season, Jets rookie Geno Smith had a four-game stretch in which he completed fewer than 10 passes per game, while throwing zero touchdowns and six interceptions while failing to score an offensive touchdown in two of those games.

I don't care how bad your weapons are on offense...in today's NFL, fewer than 10 completions four weeks in a row?  You'd think he would have to be trying to be that inept.

Oh, are you talking about the game in which Geno won while completing eight passes against the Saints? Geno's record was 1-0 in that game, in case you're not a math wiz or anything.

8 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Oh, are you talking about the game in which Geno won while completing eight passes against the Saints? Geno's record was 1-0 in that game, in case you're not a math wiz or anything.

That's the game that put him on the map!!  Showed what it is for a QB to carry a team.

On May 20, 2016 at 9:03 AM, jamesr said:

I find KC's schedule from last year a very good case in point of all of the above :

Insanely difficult especially in the beginning part of of the season

First 6 weeks - Texans, Broncos, Packers, Bengals, Bears, Vikings ... there's FIVE eventual playoff teams right there, 4 of them division winners. Result : 1-5 start. Most people wrote them off at this point. Much like if the Jets start 1-5 this year they'll be buried and forgotten about

Last 10 weeks - Steelers, Lions, Broncos, Chargers, Bills, Raiders, Chargers, Ravens, Browns, Raiders ... a total of TWO playoff teams, BOTH of whom were missing their franchise QB when KC played them (or in Denver's case Manning left the game part way through). Denver were also missing Ware and Talib, and Sanders was playing injured. Other than that the toughest match ups were Buffalo and Raiders * 2, with only one of those being on the road. Ravens were an injury riddled mess, SD likewise, and the Browns and the Lions were ... the Browns and the Lions. Result : 10-0 finish and a WC spot

We have a pretty good team, and our defense got better and will give us a chance to compete in every game

In many of the games it was the D that kept them in it  - direct quote from the Denver game report on NFL.com ...

In 7 of those 10 games overall the opponents failed to score more than 14 points. The Chargers managed a single FG in each of their matchups.

Teams you'd expect to be good that flat out stunk

SD going 4-12? Balt 5-11?No-one would have predicted that at the start of the year

Injuries. Can't predict them.

Big Ben. Manning. Flacco. Suggs. Talib, Ware, Sanders as mentioned above. And I'm sure there were more. Chiefs main injury was Jamaal Charles - great player, but an easier position to fill in, West did a great job and in fact they may have played better after that injury.

Now I'm not predicting the same for the Jets - a 10-0 finish would be a miracle especially playing NE twice in that span. But NE twice w. Brady is very different from NE twice w. Garropolo, just like Steelers w. Ben is very different from Steelers w. Landry

Aside from that there are no games I would see as truly scary after Week 6. So yes, a tough start, but it's a 16 game season, and the later it gets in the year the more the injuries mount up. Maybe you're on the positive side of that, maybe the negative side.

First 6 weeks - 5 playoff teams from last year (sound familiar?)

Last 10 weeks - 2 playoff teams from last year (both NE) (sound familiar)?

11-5 and a WC spot here we come! :D 

The Chiefs are a very good team ( have to be the favorites to win the Afc West this year).   The Chiefs starting out bad for one reason Sean Smith was suspended the first four games, and Eric Berry was coming back from cancer.( took time to get his legs under him)

Once Smith came back that was a totally different defense they put out there.( even with Justin Houston hobbled with injuries for most of the year) 

Yes the Chiefs did have some breaks later.   They played the Raiders at the perfect time both times.   That Raiders offense wasn't anywhere close to the same the Jet defense saw.( Amari Cooper was clearly playing hurt  -  was basically a decoy at that point, and the offenseline due to injuries wasn't that good at that point- especially the right side. Defense won both  of those games .

It's a mistake to think  the Chiefs  aren't that good , as they have some big time players on both sides of the ball.( the Chiefs offense line might be the only  reason they don't win the West this year)

Also when have the Jets ever done well against the Ravens.   ( this team will bounce back big time this year- Mike Wallace with Flacco could be comeback player o f the year). That team had a lot of key injuries last year.    Those first seven games are going to be really tough.   Could be looking at 1-6 .   

If the Jets start out at 1-6 it most likely will be Hackenberg time.(how much you winning with a raw rookie) 

So sick of the QB situation I honestly don't care who plays. I hate Geno for being a F-ck Up but detest Fitz even more for making using his team mates as "press agents" and pricing himself so high. With this new schedule I see us going 7-9 and hopefully Hackenberg learns something.

Archived