What can we expect of our "Older" Players this Year?

JetBlue

I seen posts speculating about the performance or expectations of younger players so I thought would be fun to think about the "greybeards" on the team.  BTW, I am talking about players who are ACTUALLY UNDER CONTRACT (hint, hint). 

To begin with I will start with the player who seems to becoming our next whipping boy of sorts.  I am talking about none other than Derelle Revis.    To me, it is actually kind of funny to read the negative comments about a guy who certainly a first team hall of famer and who had by another players standards, a very good season.  Did he struggle in certain games?  Yes he did and in doing so I guess he looked very un-Revis like.  I personally will cut him some slack because he is still imho, a top 3-5 corner in this league proven otherwise.    I think he will have a bounce back year because he is fiercely competitive and I know he has probably heard all the comments about him "slipping".   I expect him to use that as motivation to play at even a higher level. With that said, he is now in his 30's and will inevitably decline; I just don't think it will be as drastic as some seem to think.   

David Harris is next and the truth is I hope he gets outplayed by one of our other young linebackers by season end and his playing time reduced.   It doesn't mean I don't think he will play well this season, I just hope one of the new jacks take their game to a higher level. If nothing else, the competition will keep him on his toes. 

Mangold is like fine wine and I really don't see much slippage at all with him. My main concern is health since he is starting to get up there a bit. 

Breno G.  Man I really hope Shell or Harrison, really push this guy and perhaps replace him at some point.  To me, he is the true weak link on the OL.  

Brandon Marshall; similar to Mangold, the key for him will be health.  If he stays healthy. there is no reason to believe he won't continue to dominate.  His numbers may decrease but that will because we now have more legit weapons.  

Matt Forte is dual purpose threat who should thrive under Gailey but again as with many of these older players, his minutes should be properly managed so he is not worn out early in the season.   Having Powell and Robinson (assuming he is healthy,) should make that possible. 

I will include Ryan Clady even though his is only 29, I believe he will be 30 next season,  He seems to be ahead of schedule recovery wise, and seems to be a matter of working out the rust. At least I hope that is the case; sorry to sound like a broken record but his Clady's case, it really is all about his health.

Both Jenkins and McLendon are very solid and skilled role players with good experience.  They should be nice additions along side, Mo, Sheldon and Leo. 

Well I am sure there may be a few more over 30 players (perhaps Decker) but I think I will stop here and await feedback and read what you guys think about these players and any I didn't mention. 

Jmo Ryan Clady isn't just about staying healthy.  He has to prove that he can still play after getting that lisfranc injury in 2013.    He played 16 games for the Broncos in 2014 , and clearly wasn't the player he was before that injury.( he was named to the probowl  more off of reputation , than ability that year). 

That lisfranc injury has had effect on his game, and  Let's see if he's doing better with that injury these days.( that's the only injury lisfranc injury that anyone should be concerned with).

Simply put, I am looking for consistency and leadership from ALL the vets. Injuries can happen to anyone at anytime. 

That means guys like Marshall, Harris, Mangold, Revis, Forte, and I will throw in Wilkerson (even though he is only 26) have to continue to play at a high level. These are/will be the cogs in our WR corps, LB corps, O-line, Secondary, RB corps and D-line. They have to be leaders (either vocal or by example or both) and they have to continue to play at a high level. Vets like Henderson, Breno, Decker, etc. I view more as role players and key contributors. There's not as much pressure on them.   

Also, I want to point out that all of the above CAN and SHOULD continue t pay at a high level. They have plenty left in the tank, and there is no reason to think their play should decline this season due to age. Marshall keeps his body in impeccable shape. Revis is a wily vet and uses his awareness and great technique to his advantage better any any other CB in the league. Mangold is a rock and plays through injuries. Forte and Harris are both as consistent as it gets. And Wilk, well, Wilk is Wilk and remains one of the best D-linemen in the league. No reason to think any one of these guys can't come out and have a pro bowl season.   

Barring injury, there's little to no chance that Harris sees any decrease in playing time this year.  Beyond even performance, Harris has for many years been, and continues to be, the leader of this defense, and with how young the rest of the LB corps is, it's highly doubtful that anyone else could fill that role.  For that alone, Harris will in all likelihood have another year where he leads the team in defensive snaps.  The soonest that could possibly change would be next year, if Lee shows he is capable of taking over that role, which I cannot imagine they would even consider as an option this year.

9 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo Ryan Clady isn't just about staying healthy.  He has to prove that he can still play after getting that lisfranc injury in 2013.    He played 16 games for the Broncos in 2014 , and clearly wasn't the player he was before that injury.( he was named to the probowl  more off of reputation , than ability that year). 

That lisfranc injury has had effect on his game, and  Let's see if he's doing better with that injury these days.( that's the only injury lisfranc injury that anyone should be concerned with).

I'm sorry but why are you here? 

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I'm sorry but why are you here? 

Instead of worrying about that, tell me what I said that was wrong . Ryan Clady played in all sixteen games for the Bronco's in 2014, clearly wasn't the same player before lisfranc injury.( fact- go ask any Bronco fan)

Why I correctly stated it isn't about him staying healthy , but he has to prove that he moving much better now since that lisfranc injury.

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Instead of worrying about that, tell me what I said that was wrong . Ryan Clady played in all sixteen games for the Bronco's in 2014, clearly wasn't the same player before lisfranc injury.( fact- go ask any Bronco fan)

Why I correctly stated it isn't about him staying healthy , but he has to prove that he moving much better now since that lisfranc injury.

Worrying no just wondering why you post a so much on the Jets board on matters that don't concern you. I also didn't ask for your medical expertise but thanks anyway, 

Archived