Stephen Hill breakout season in Carolina?

joewilly12

6 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

If you agree getting cut may have helped him focus on playing at a higher level and that Lal was unable to develop a WR then I don't know how you can think we should have kept him. Staying here would have meant no change in attitude and continued coaching under Lal. Now if you want to suggest we should have kept Hill for another year but ditched Lal then that is an idea I could get behind.

Well that's a more complicated question itself because I never truly felt Rex and Co. were sticking around unless they made a deep playoff run. So with that said, I probably would have felt better keeping Hill and dumping Lal.

funny I heard that interview on the radio earlier this week... hard worker, feels for him because he was labelled a bust, coming back strong from injuries, etc. just rolled my eyes and changed the channel. 

the ol' looks like Tarzan plays like Jane (if he is ever even on the field that is) 

good riddance 

2 hours ago, jett said:

To follow up, may I please ask why when a player is on our team we destroy them, but when they leave and they is anything close to positive news about a guy it's like why the hell did we get rid of him. Seriously almost everybody does it. If we cut milliner everybody would say oh thank God he sucks, then he will make 1 tackle and those same people come out and say well see I knew we shouldn't have. It's happened a billion times, and sometimes sure a player does pan out for another team but usually if a player gets released its typically for good reason.  I remember when Jalen Saunders had that td return and everybody was so quick to say what a mistake. What happened after that. Nothing. 

Is it hard to believe that even if we kept these players they would never reach their potential like a Woodhead? Sometimes a player will flourish elsewhere because of better coaching, they take it more serious, maybe they stay healthy, or just a change of scenery Is all it takes. There's a ton of variables. If you hold onto a player for 6 years and they stink, then they go on to be great, It probably would have never happened for our team, they just needed another coach to fix their problems. But most of the time, they continue to stink. 

I don't get it man, 

It's actually human psychology to over-emphasize the issue that plague themselves, rather than the broad view.  It's the reason why terms like "first world problems" exist because a quickly changing traffic light seems more urgent in the immediate than some poor kid starving in a third world country.  The same principles carry over to fandom, where people over exaggerate the issues they confront on a daily basis over the broad issue ones.  Once a player leaves a team, a fan then is more concerned about the broader side of a player evaluation than the personal one, hence they are more forgiving.  

I'm sure you can go to the Pats board during some games and actually find criticism of Tom Brady, or a Colts board with jabs at Andrew Luck as well, even though as a team with no real franchise QB, we realize the gifts they have.   

It is true that coaches can make a big difference, but I also think systems and surrounding talent play a big role in player development.  I would have much better faith in Hill developing, if he was the No. 3 option on offense, than the No. 1 option he was for us really.  By the time Hill arrived, Holmes was in severe decline and/or injured, Kerley is a complimentary player, and the rest were guys we picked up off the street.   Hill wasn't good enough to beat coverage that were concerned with taking him away.  In Carolina, not only does he have an excellent QB, he'll be the third/fourth option behind Benjamin, Olsen, Funchess/Ginn, allowing him one on one matchups that he can win.   I do think he would've been a good fit here now, because he's tall, can block, and has speed to fit into the Gailey system.  

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:52 PM, rex-n-effect said:

Maybe getting cut helped him get some perspective and work harder. Maybe not having Sanjay Lal as a WR coach helped. 

Maybe this is all bullsh*t. 

If CAR can make something out of Hill then great. However, it was still the right move to cut him here. He wasn't performing and we weren't equipped to do anything to improve his performance.

there was never a question on work ethic ... he could be one of those guys that just takes some time to develop Jimmy Smith Comes to mind

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

It's actually human psychology to over-emphasize the issue that plague themselves, rather than the broad view.  It's the reason why terms like "first world problems" exist because a quickly changing traffic light seems more urgent in the immediate than some poor kid starving in a third world country.  The same principles carry over to fandom, where people over exaggerate the issues they confront on a daily basis over the broad issue ones.  Once a player leaves a team, a fan then is more concerned about the broader side of a player evaluation than the personal one, hence they are more forgiving.  

I'm sure you can go to the Pats board during some games and actually find criticism of Tom Brady, or a Colts board with jabs at Andrew Luck as well, even though as a team with no real franchise QB, we realize the gifts they have.   

It is true that coaches can make a big difference, but I also think systems and surrounding talent play a big role in player development.  I would have much better faith in Hill developing, if he was the No. 3 option on offense, than the No. 1 option he was for us really.  By the time Hill arrived, Holmes was in severe decline and/or injured, Kerley is a complimentary player, and the rest were guys we picked up off the street.   Hill wasn't good enough to beat coverage that were concerned with taking him away.  In Carolina, not only does he have an excellent QB, he'll be the third/fourth option behind Benjamin, Olsen, Funchess/Ginn, allowing him one on one matchups that he can win.   I do think he would've been a good fit here now, because he's tall, can block, and has speed to fit into the Gailey system.  

excellent post

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

there was never a question on work ethic ... he could be one of those guys that just takes some time to develop Jimmy Smith Comes to mind

Go back and look at the threads when he was here. There was a lot of criticism about his work ethic.

On June 9, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Smashmouth said:

I think Stephen Hill would have benifited from playing with guys like Decker and Marshall. He always seemed to be 3-4 years out in development but his talent is undeniable remains to be seen in Carolina. 

What talent is this?  He can run fast in a straight line.  He can't catch, he has no ball skills, he has no body control, he's clumsy, and can't run routes.  The guy stinks and will always stink.

On June 10, 2016 at 10:09 AM, drdetroit said:

Lal sucked but it didn't matter.  Hill can't run routes, has way too many drops and doesn't know to adjust to throw.  It's a shame because he has prototype size and speed yet Jerricho Cotchery on the same team with zero speed outperforms him because he knows how to play

Did he?  Not one WR he coached went on to play better somewhere else.  In fact, most of them weren't even NFL caliber players (Holmes, Nelson, Clyde Gates aren't in the league).  Hill will probably be out of the league soon, too.  Coaches can't turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad.  Kerley maxed out under Lal, Sammy Watkins looks tremendous when he's on the field.  There's a reason the Jets completely overhauled the WR position.  The guys they had were pathetic and couldn't be "coached up" by any coach.

14 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Did he?  Not one WR he coached went on to play better somewhere else.  In fact, most of them weren't even NFL caliber players (Holmes, Nelson, Clyde Gates aren't in the league).  Hill will probably be out of the league soon, too.  Coaches can't turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad.  Kerley maxed out under Lal, Sammy Watkins looks tremendous when he's on the field.  There's a reason the Jets completely overhauled the WR position.  The guys they had were pathetic and couldn't be "coached up" by any coach.

It was a perfect storm.  Lal sucked and we had no talent.

Archived