The Conversation Has Changed ...

KRL

15 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Joe Montana leading the Jets wasn't going to beat the Raiders that day.  The whole team sucked...

Some would say that the team didnt suck until Geno stepped on the field. I guess its Geno's fault the Raiders offense put up 34 points on the Jets defense. 

The air getting sucked out of the defense is somehow Geno's fault, just like the lack of tackling and getting torched on go-routes. 

Lets remember that its totally Geno's fault. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

The air got sucked out of that team when their chartered plane landed.  That game was on the coaches, not on Geno...

I don't disagree that the game was on the coaches, but let's not pretend like the injury and the back up QB didn't have something to do with it.

12 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

The air got sucked out of that team when their chartered plane landed.  That game was on the coaches, not on Geno...

The original excuse was that Geno had a horrible game. Then when you post a link showing every single play that Geno had which confirmed that he didnt have a bad game then its Geno's fault because the air was sucked out of the rest of the professionals. Suddenly the "status quo" of playing with the guys that are out there no longer counts. Watching guys like Michael Crabtree break 3 slapdick tackle attempts is Geno's fault because the defense felt defeated that he was on the field. Watching Andre Holmes torch Cromartie down the sideline for a 50 yard TD is Geno's fault because Cromartie couldnt breathe because Geno was on the field. 

Tap me when its okay to call bullsh*t on these lame ass excuses lol. The jets didnt play great on offense, and poorly on defense. Geno had some nice plays but also had some bad plays. However, if you isolate Geno's performance on a play-by-play basis the guy had a good game based on the circumstance. Showing each individual play proves that. What we cant prove is that Geno stepping on the field took the teams "breath away". Thats just talk for haters who can no longer use the "Geno had a bad game against the Raiders" nonsense.

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

And the FO is banking on Geno to show improvement and still keep the Fitz signing talks on a leash. Geno will beat out Fitz any day in a true competition, like he did last off season. Anyone that can't see the steady improvement (from year 1 to first half of year 2 to 2nd half of year 3) in Geno, is a blind Fitznut. 

Firz is garbage. The same garbage that couldn't beat an already deflated and depleted Bills average secondary with the leagues best WR duo n a top 5 D.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/06/15/geno-smith-ryan-fitzpatrick-jets/

Bowles reiterated Wednesday that Fitzpatrick would be the starter if he returns, but added that “there probably is a point” the Jets would have to move on from that thought if Smith proves himself in training camp.

Jets Moving Forward With Geno Smith As Starting QB As Fitzpatrick Contract Saga Drags On

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — The New York Jets areGeno Smith’s team again.

At least, for now. But maybe for a lot longer.

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif?d=1
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

in-art-soundanimation-icon-41x48.gif

With the Ryan Fitzpatrick contract saga still dragging on with no end in sight, the reality is that the Jets are moving forward with Smith under center as the starting quarterback.

It’s an opportunity Smith has seized, for the most part, during workouts and, now, minicamp by showing improvement from a year ago.

“He’s playing faster, he’s thinking faster,” quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo said Wednesday.

“It’s going smoother for him. That’s been the big difference, I think, and where people are seeing the difference in him. It’s just happening faster.”

That’s an encouraging sign for a player who had his share of critics during his first three NFL seasons.

“There’s a sense of poise, comfort and it was pretty good to watch him kind of manage the situation. That’s the process for all players: You’ve got to give guys time and every guy’s different, and he seems to be growing. And that’s a good thing for all of us,” Brandon Marshall said earlier this month.

Coach Todd Bowles took it a step further Tuesday when he was asked to assess Smith, who’s heading into his second year in Chan Gailey’s offense.

“Well, being in the system a year, he’s light years ahead of where he was last year,” Bowles said. “As far as being confident and operating the system, and understanding the checks and running the offense, he’s night and day from where he was.”

A year ago at this time, Smith was the likely starter while getting almost all of the first-team snaps and establishing chemistry with wide receivers Marshall and Eric Decker.

That all changed in the middle of training camp when Ikemefuna Enemkpali broke Smith’s jaw with a punch and set in motion a series of events that have had an effect even on the current situation.

Fitzpatrick stepped in, led the Jets to a 10-6 record and within a win of a playoff berth while setting a franchise mark with 31 touchdown passes.

Fitzpatrick did such a good job on and off the field that Bowles declared he would be the starter this season if he returned. Well, he became a free agent and has failed to come to an agreement on a deal.

That has put Smith in the spotlight again — and he could be right out again, if and when Fitzpatrick finally does come back.

“I don’t come into the building thinking about that,” Smith said. “I don’t leave the building thinking about that. My only goal when I walk in this building is how can I get better today? How can this team improve? How can this offense improve? What did we do last week? What did we do in the last practice that we need to improve on?”

There have been plenty of things critics have pointed out for Smith, from reading defenses to being quicker on his feet with decisions. His overall body of work so far is also underwhelming, despite some flashes of being a solid starter.

Smith has 27 touchdown passes and 35 interceptions in three seasons, although he played in just one game last season.

Questions about his ability to be a leader in the locker room and on the field have also surfaced, amplified by the incident with Enemkpali.

“I don’t think I need to necessarily re-establish myself rather than to prove it every single day in practice, prove it to my coaches, teammates, whoever’s watching,” Smith said. “My goal is to compete every single day with everyone out there and try to contribute to the best of my ability.”

Smith spent part of the offseason working out in Florida with a host of Pro Bowl receivers, including Pittsburgh’s Antonio Brown, the Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. and Miami’s Jarvis Landry.

Bowles reiterated Wednesday that Fitzpatrick would be the starter if he returns, but added that “there probably is a point” the Jets would have to move on from that thought if Smith proves himself in training camp.

“It’s no different than an injury,” Bowles said. “If a guy gets hurt and somebody steps in and it’s like, `Hey, this guy’s doing pretty good,’ and he wins a couple of games and plays well, and if it’s not broke, you don’t fix it.

“But we’re not at that point yet.”

The Jets are still willing to wait for Fitzpatrick, and many players have publicly acknowledged that they’d like the veteran to return.

“We’ve said all along that Ryan’s the starter,” Bowles said. “Obviously, if Geno plays well and Ryan plays well, Ryan’s going to be the starter. But if Ryan gets hurt, Ryan doesn’t show, and Geno gets in, like Ryan did last year, and he goes 4-1? Things happen.”

Bowles said the Jets “would entertain” the idea of adding a veteran quarterback if Fitzpatrick doesn’t return since Bryce Petty, in his second season, and rookie Christian Hackenberg are the only other players at the position on the roster and both are deemed mostly as “projects” who wouldn’t be ready to start if needed.

For now, though, it’s all about Smith.

“He’s done well,” Patullo said. “He’s a lot better. Year 2, you hope he’s better, and he’s done a good job.”

(TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Could Geno Smith Be a Better Jets Starting QB Option Than Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Could Geno Smith Be a Better Jets Starting QB Option Than Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Julio Cortez/Associated Press 

We've spent so much time this offseason discussing Ryan Fitzpatrick's contract (or lack thereof) that it's become easy to forget the fact that Geno Smith, not Fitzpatrick, was supposed to be the New York Jets' starting quarterback last fall. 

That was before a teammate broke Smith's jaw over a $600 debt, essentially spoiling the 25-year-old's third NFL season. 

Fitzpatrick took full advantage of the opportunity by putting together arguably the best season of his long career, nearly leading the 10-win Jets to the playoffs. But the journeyman still threw 15 interceptions, ranked 24th in the league with a passer rating of 88.0 and finished the year with a disastrous, three-pick performance in a do-or-die loss to the Buffalo Bills. 

Geno Smith vs. Ryan Fitzpatrick: Rate-based career totals
Category Geno Ryan
Comp.% 57.9 60.1
TD-INT ratio 0.77 1.33
YPA 6.8 6.7
Rating 72.3 80.8

Pro Football Reference

So maybe the Jets wouldn't be crazy to hand the reins back to Smith, especially since the 2013 second-round pick has apparently been making plenty of progress entering his fourth pro season. 

“Being in the system a year, he’s light years ahead of where he was last year,” said Jets head coach Todd Bowles of Smith, according to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. “As far as being confident, operating the system, understanding the checks, running the offense, he’s night and day [from] where he was.”

Regardless of whether Bowles is adhering to a party line, it's a good sign that a coach not known for hyperbole is willing to praise a quarterback for his progress—especially considering Smith already appeared to be making progress at the conclusion of his last full season. 

A glance at Smith's career numbers—57.9 completion percentage, 27 touchdowns to 35 interceptions and a passer rating of 72.3—won't inspire confidence, but he did finish strong in 2014. During the final four games that season, the then-second-year pivot completed 65.1 percent of his passes for 1,001 yards to go along with six touchdowns, two interceptions, a 9.2 yards-per-attempt average and a passer rating of 105.3. 

Geno Smith's first two NFL seasons
Category First 26 games Last 4 games
Completion % 56.3 65.1
TD-INT 19-32 6-2
Yards/attempt 6.5 9.2
Passer rating 66.2 105.3
40-yard passes/game 0.3 1.3
20-yard passes/game 2.3 4.0

Pro Football Reference

For comparison's sake, the 33-year-old Fitzpatrick has posted a higher passer rating over a four-game stretch on only two occasions in his 11-year, 113-game NFL career. 

And there's no evidence Smith was being babied at that point in time. In fact, during that four-game stretch, Smith was tied for the league lead with five completions of 40 yards or more, and only three quarterbacks completed more 20-yard passes. The average ranking of the pass defenses he faced in those four games was 11th. 

Final four weeks of the 2014 season
  Most 20-yard passes Most 40-yard passes
1 Russell Wilson (19) Geno Smith (5)
2 Teddy Bridgewater (17) Teddy Bridgewater (5)
3 Peyton Manning (17) Eli Manning (5)
4 Geno Smith (16) Robert Griffin III (5)
5 Matt Ryan (15) Ben Roethlisberger (4)

Pro Football Reference

With those numbers and an eight-year age gap in mind, it's clear that Smith's career trajectory is headed in a more promising direction than Fitzpatrick's. That might explain why Smith has the endorsement of Hall of Fame Jets quarterback Joe Namath, regardless of whether Fitzpatrick returns. 

"I think Geno’s going to be the starting quarterback no matter if Fitzpatrick comes back or not," Namath said this week, per Newsday's Brian Heyman, adding that he too has seen growth from Smith: "He’s filling out stronger, and [he’s] more mature."

Considering all of that, as well as the fact that the Jets already have two other talented young quarterbacks on board to offer support to Smith, it's a little easier to see why the team doesn't appear willing to overpay for the aging Fitzpatrick. 

Brad Gagnon has covered the NFL for Bleacher Report since 2012.

Jets’ Geno Smith ‘thinking faster’ on field these days

New York Jets running back Bilal Powell, second from right, works out with teammates during NFL football practice, Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015, in Florham Park, N.J. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)
New York Jets running back Bilal Powell, second from right, works out with teammates during NFL football practice, Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015, in Florham Park, N.J. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez) more >
- Associated Press - Wednesday, June 15, 2016

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) - The New York Jets are Geno Smith’s team again.

At least, for now. But maybe for a lot longer.

With the Ryan Fitzpatrick contract saga still dragging on with no end in sight, the reality is that the Jets are moving forward with Smith under center as the starting quarterback.

It’s an opportunity Smith has seized, for the most part, during workouts and, now, minicamp by showing improvement from a year ago.

“He’s playing faster, he’s thinking faster,” quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo said Wednesday.

“It’s going smoother for him. That’s been the big difference, I think, and where people are seeing the difference in him. It’s just happening faster.”

That’s an encouraging sign for a player who had his share of critics during his first three NFL seasons.

Coach Todd Bowles took it a step further Tuesday when he was asked to assess Smith, who’s heading into his second year in Chan Gailey’s offense.

“Well, being in the system a year, he’s light years ahead of where he was last year,” Bowles said. “As far as being confident and operating the system, and understanding the checks and running the offense, he’s night and day from where he was.”

A year ago at this time, Smith was the likely starter while getting almost all of the first-team snaps and establishing chemistry with wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

That all changed in the middle of training camp when Ikemefuna Enemkpali broke Smith’s jaw with a punch and set in motion a series of events that have had an effect even on the current situation.

Fitzpatrick stepped in, led the Jets to a 10-6 record and within a win of a playoff berth while setting a franchise mark with 31 touchdown passes.

Fitzpatrick did such a good job on and off the field that Bowles declared he would be the starter this season if he returned. Well, he became a free agent and has failed to come to an agreement on a deal.

That has put Smith in the spotlight again - and he could be right out again, if and when Fitzpatrick finally does come back.

“I don’t come into the building thinking about that,” Smith said. “I don’t leave the building thinking about that. My only goal when I walk in this building is how can I get better today? How can this team improve? How can this offense improve? What did we do last week? What did we do in the last practice that we need to improve on?”

There have been plenty of things critics have pointed out for Smith, from reading defenses to being quicker on his feet with decisions. His overall body of work so far is also underwhelming, despite some flashes of being a solid starter.

Smith has 27 touchdown passes and 35 interceptions in three seasons, although he played in just one game last season.

Questions about his ability to be a leader in the locker room and on the field have also surfaced, amplified by the incident with Enemkpali.

“I don’t think I need to necessarily re-establish myself rather than to prove it every single day in practice, prove it to my coaches, teammates, whoever’s watching,” Smith said. “My goal is to compete every single day with everyone out there and try to contribute to the best of my ability.”

Smith spent part of the offseason working out in Florida with a host of Pro Bowl receivers, including Pittsburgh’s Antonio Brown, the Giants’ Odell Beckham Jr. and Miami’s Jarvis Landry.

“It’s no different than an injury,” Bowles said. “If a guy gets hurt and somebody steps in and it’s like, ‘Hey, this guy’s doing pretty good,’ and he wins a couple of games and plays well, and if it’s not broke, you don’t fix it.

“But we’re not at that point yet.”

The Jets are still willing to wait for Fitzpatrick, and many players have publicly acknowledged that they’d like the veteran to return.

“We’ve said all along that Ryan’s the starter,” Bowles said. “Obviously, if Geno plays well and Ryan plays well, Ryan’s going to be the starter. But if Ryan gets hurt, Ryan doesn’t show, and Geno gets in, like Ryan did last year, and he goes 4-1? Things happen.”

Bowles said the Jets “would entertain” the idea of adding a veteran quarterback if Fitzpatrick doesn’t return since Bryce Petty, in his second season, and rookie Christian Hackenberg are the only other players at the position on the roster and both are deemed mostly as “projects” who wouldn’t be ready to start if needed.

For now, though, it’s all about Smith.

“He’s done well,” Patullo said. “He’s a lot better. Year 2, you hope he’s better, and he’s done a good job.”

I guess we can say that Bryce Petty possibly starting was a pipe dream. Its not even looking like they trust him taking over the #2 job. 

Jets might add veteran quarterback if Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't return

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- There's a new layer to the Ryan Fitzpatrick contract saga, because why not? There's no such thing as a cut-and-dried quarterback controversy when it comes to the New York Jets.

Not only are they trying to re-sign Fitzpatrick, but the Jets also are monitoring the quarterback market. It sounds as though they will add a veteran if Fitzpatrick doesn't return.

"Yeah, we'll entertain that," coach Todd Bowles said Wednesday. "We've talked about that."

It would be a common-sense move.

Right now, the backups are Bryce Petty (no regular-season experience) and rookie Christian Hackenberg. The Jets are a win-now team, so it would be smart to buy insurance at the most important position, considering the lack of experience and Geno Smith's past struggles in the starting role.

Who's available? Let's just say it's slim pickings in the free-agent market: Michael Vick, Charlie Whitehurst, T.J. Yates ... you get the picture. Two players under contract could shake free at some point -- Nick Foles (Los Angeles Rams) and Josh McCown (Cleveland Browns), the latter of whom has piqued the Jets' interest in the past.

Hackenberg isn't close to being ready to play. Petty "has grown a lot," quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo said, but he remains a work in progress. As usual, there are a few moving parts at the quarterback position. Same old, same old.

A few takeaways from Wednesday's practice:

• Cornerback Darrelle Revis, three months removed from wrist surgery, practiced for the first time in positional drills, a baby step in the rehab process. Revis still has a ways to go, but he expects to be ready for training camp. Bowles said, "We talked about it. We're going to be careful with it. If he's feeling good, he'll let me know. I trust him. If he's not feeling good, he'll let me know. I trust that, too."

• Right tackle Breno Giacomini and wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins were excused from drills, Bowles said. Thompkins was attending a family graduation. Cornerback Juston Burris, a fourth-round pick, is out with a hamstring injury.

• Smith had another solid practice -- he was especially sharp in a two-minute drill -- but it wasn't flawless. With a front-side blitz bearing down on him, Smith rushed a pass and was intercepted by nose tackle Steve McLendon, who dropped into coverage. That said, Smith looks more decisive than a year ago. The ball comes out quicker, and it helps to have Eric Decker andBrandon Marshall, arguably the top two players on the field in minicamp. Marshall dominated the first two days, especially in the red zone.

• It was a good news-bad news day for tight end Jace Amaro, and it all happened in about a minute. During a two-minute drill, he made a diving catch across the middle, much to the delight of his offensive teammates. But one play later, he dropped a pass in the back of the end zone. Amaro, who had some drop issues as a rookie in 2014, is a key player this season. The Jets need a threat at tight end, and Amaro is the best they've got.

• Rookie Jordan Jenkins continued to see extensive action with the starters, but he's not atop the depth chart at his outside-linebacker position. Technically, he's behind Trevor Reilly, but it's a fluid situation. Lorenzo Mauldin is the favorite to win the other outside slot.

9 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Like I have said, say something bad about Geno Smith and his disciples will post you to death.

Please dear god hurry up and sign Fitz and cut Geno so we don't have every topic bombarded and ruined.

You'll barely see me posting in this thread. Thats the difference between me and you. Visit the thread below, and knock yourself out with the Fitz talk. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I dunno... this seems like the exact same conversation that has plagued every other thread on this board for 3 months.

Geno/Fitz approaching Coke/Pepsi, Trump/Hillary, paper/plastic, Ginger/MaryAnn levels...

Fitz is not a long term solution, has never even been to a playoff game, had one decent year out of 11 that ranked him middle of the pack of NFL QB's, and is looking for a lucrative deal after hitting the wide open market free to sign with any team and got zero Interest. Really, what's the conversation about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, ljr said:

Not bad ... Except there is no merit to starting Geno ... If Fitz doesn't get resolved by early TC then a vet scrub will be brought in to start instead of Geno

You have been making a stream of ridiculously dumb comments, this one especially..if Fitz is not signed Geno starts. Period.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

You have been making a stream of ridiculously dumb comments, this one especially..if Fitz is not signed Geno starts. Period.

Truly hope not ... Luckily I can't imagine it gets to that low of a point 

On 6/16/2016 at 9:05 AM, JiF said:

This ******* team.

Watch us wait till a few weeks before the start of the season to finally come to terms.  Bowles hands Fitz a completely unearned starting job and its a disaster.

Because you know and I know this is going to happen.  Why?  The Jets. 

I fully expect exactly this TBH. Always how it works with this franchise. They get no benefit of doubt from me anymore. 

Archived