How much of Belichick's success is because of Brady ? ? ?

kelly

Just now, PFSIKH said:

He took over a 3-13 team. They won 6 games the next year.  That is doubling the win total and hardly a downward spiral.  They won 7 games the next two years before winning 11 in year four.  Who knows how things would have gone if Model did not announce the move until after the season.  They were 4-4 when he did.

Again, as I said in the post you quoted, kind of the comprehension thing, I said he made mistakes in Cleveland.  His experience in Cleveland helped form how he handles things in New England.  

If you add the 3-13 before that, you have a better perspective of what he did. 

his first year he won 6, last year he won 5.  what a job!

they peaked in 1994 w/ 11 wins

1994 11 wins

1995 5 wins

1996(Bal) 4 wins

1997 6 wins

1998 6 wins

it was a downward spiral.

his experience in Cleveland didn't really help until Tom Brady became the QB.

and one year before 3-13 they were in the AFC Championship Game.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/29/2016 at 7:46 AM, PatsFanTX said:

Unethical?

4 Super Bowl titles in 15 years is the only thing that matters.

If you want ethical, go watch some Pop Warner games on Sunday.

10616019_10203747390959262_2337117426873

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

4 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

He took over a 3-13 team. They won 6 games the next year.  That is doubling the win total and hardly a downward spiral.  They won 7 games the next two years before winning 11 in year four.  Who knows how things would have gone if Model did not announce the move until after the season.  They were 4-4 when he did.

Again, as I said in the post you quoted, kind of the comprehension thing, I said he made mistakes in Cleveland.  His experience in Cleveland helped form how he handles things in New England.  

If you add the 3-13 before that, you have a better perspective of what he did. 

He sent an entire franchise into a death spiral and was destroyed in the press by the owner, the GM, he media and fans.  All for one winning season.

you want to call that success, go for it

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he's the key factor, the main factor, whatever you want to call it.  w/o him BB would be a DC somewhere today.  w/o him they don't win any of those Super Bowls.

So let me get this straight. What you're saying is that because BB had a losing record in Cleveland and didn't win until he went to New England and Brady came aboard this is proof the Brady not Beli made the Patriots. So ok, what you're doing then is taking one variable (although an important one) among many and making a conclusion. Kind of like wearing horse blinders and a little dose of tunnel vision but I see your point.?

He sent an entire franchise into a death spiral and was destroyed in the press by the owner, the GM, he media and fans.  All for one winning season.

you want to call that success, go for it

Do you have a clue?

BB took over a 3-13 team and turned the entire roster over by 78% and got them in the playoffs.

And then a dumbass owner announces mid-season that he is moving the team.

Vince Lombardi would have failed under those circumstances.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

So let me get this straight. What you're saying is that because BB had a losing record in Cleveland and didn't win until he went to New England and Brady came aboard this is proof the Brady not Beli made the Patriots. So ok, what you're doing then is taking one variable (although an important one) among many and making a conclusion. Kind of like wearing horse blinders and a little dose of tunnel vision but I see your point.?

I guess it's just a coincidence that he was a total failure in Cleveland and NE w/o him then became an all time great HC with him.

34 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I guess it's just a coincidence that he was a total failure in Cleveland and NE w/o him then became an all time great HC with him.

Like I said there might have been 50 different reasons for that and you choose one out of 50 to prove your point. Ok, it's a legit opinion because out of those 50 or so Brady was at the top of the list. But maybe Kraft and a ton of other circumstances played into that. Again Brady gets drafted by the Lions: good career and 0 rings. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Like I said there might have been 50 different reasons for that and you choose one out of 50 to prove your point. Ok, it's a legit opinion because out of those 50 or so Brady was at the top of the list. But maybe Kraft and a ton to of other circumstances played in that. Again Brady gets drafted by the Lions: good career and 0 rings. 

the Pats were the Lions, they were actually worse than the Lions at the time.  how do we now detroit doesn't turn into a dynasty?  the bottom line is BB has enough of a track record w/o Brady and it's not good.  Brady is the best QB I have ever seen, BB is a brilliant football mind and has developed into one of the best HCs of all time but w/.o Brady stepping in he never has that chance to develop.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the Pats were the Lions, they were actually worse than the Lions at the time.  how do we now detroit doesn't turn into a dynasty?  the bottom line is BB has enough of a track record w/o Brady and it's not good.  Brady is the best QB I have ever seen, BB is a brilliant football mind and has developed into one of the best HCs of all time but w/.o Brady stepping in he never has that chance to develop.

Because they didn't have Belichick they had Matt Millen!

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

maybe, better chance than if he didn't go and BB was the HC.

I am not a fan of his but he did what he felt he had to do and it's worked out pretty well for him.

The way he did it exemplifies the low class, no morals, cheating POS sc*mbag he is though

10 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Both situations were a result of BB's total arrogance.

They love to play head games with the league and with other teams. And try to get one up over on everyone. And it works! Everyone is totally paranoid of him and his org. Teams visiting Foxboro look for hidden mics that might not even exist. They look for people with cameras. I guess he wants to get every potential advantage possible. The thing is if you're really smart you don't get caught. 

They love to play head games with the league and with other teams. And try to get one up over on everyone. And it works! Everyone is totally paranoid of him and his org. Teams visiting Foxboro look for hidden mics that might not even exist. They look for people with cameras. I guess he wants to get every potential advantage possible. The thing is if you're really smart you don't get caught. 

Great post.

If BB ever realized how far he could push the envelope, none of this never would have happened.

Seriously, ignoring a league-wide memo about taping from the sidelines??????

BB thought he was bigger than the league.

14 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Great post.

If BB ever realized how far he could push the envelope, none of this never would have happened.

Seriously, ignoring a league-wide memo about taping from the sidelines??????

BB thought he was bigger than the league.

Look, the reason Kraft bailed out on Brady as you know was for his own self interest. And that's why the league punished them. Because these actions brought the league millions of dollars of bad pub. And in the long run this can potentially hurt the NFL brand which means diminished revenue. And that's all these owners care about. I mean sports is an entertainment field and ratings and such are cyclical and depend on trends. People eventually get sick and tired of this crap. Not just the cheating but all of the problems on and off the field. Like concussions, player strikes, injuries, law suits, etc. 

Look, the reason Kraft bailed out on Brady as you know was for his own self interest. And that's why the league punished them. Because these actions brought the league millions of dollars of bad pub. And in the long run this can potentially hurt the NFL brand which means diminished revenue. And that's all these owners care about. I mean sports is an entertainment field and ratings and such are cyclical and depend on trends. People eventually get sick and tired of this crap. Not just the cheating but all of the problems on and off the field. Like concussions, player strikes, injuries, law suits, etc. 

Look, the NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Spygate, deflategate, concussions, drugs, player strikes and anything else will not bring the league down.

Just watch the amount of the next television contract. It will be mind boggling.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Look, the NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Spygate, deflategate, concussions, drugs, player strikes and anything else will not bring the league down.

Just watch the amount of the next television contract. It will be mind boggling.

Look at this time you're right. The NFL is a cash cow. And as rich as they are they're looking for more and more and more revenue. But and this is strictly my opinion. It will go down eventually. And in the long run for reasons I mentioned it won't be a good investment. Just with concussions alone they already had to settle with former players for about a billion dollars. And there's more where that came from. I don't even think they're really selling out games either which is an indicator of decline. So I would bet in the future the value of franchises will decrease. 

Look at this time you're right. The NFL is a cash cow. And as rich as they are they're looking for more and more and more revenue. But and this is strictly my opinion. It will go down eventually. And in the long run for reasons I mentioned it won't be a good investment. Just with concussions alone they already had to settle with former players for about a billion dollars. And there's more where that came from. I don't even think they're really selling out games either which is an indicator of decline. So I would bet in the future the value of franchises will decrease. 

Two points:

1) I am always right.

2) The future value of franchises will never go down.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Two points:

1) I am always right.

Every cycle has it's downswing. And trends change as do new generations and what interests them. For us, we're hooked. But I was once a big boxing fan and watched pay-per-view and would go see live boxing. And listened to big fights on the radio. But after seeing old boxers after they retired like Frazier and Ali and what they looked and sounded like I eventually stopped watching it. I'm no longer a boxing fan. 

Every cycle has it's downswing. And trends change as do new generations and what interests them. For us, we're hooked. But I was once a big boxing fan and watched pay-per-view and would go see live boxing. And listened to big fights on the radio. But after seeing old boxers after they retired like Frazier and Ali and what they looked and sounded like I eventually stopped watching it. I'm no longer a boxing fan. 

Absolutely agree with you. Boxing was at the pinnacle in the '70's and early '80's. I can't remember the last time I watched a boxing match.

What happened to boxing will never happen to the NFL.

Look, I can see little Billy Belichick as a mischievous kid in school. Always trying to pull a fast one on somebody, you know like hand buzzers and whoopie cushions and the minute the teacher turns their back making funny faces, etc. I don't think he's changed a heck of a lot. Except now the authoritarian figure is Roger and his main targets are other orgs. You would think his favorite foils are people he considers stuffed shirts like Woody Johnson and easy marks like Rex Ryan. Maybe he just never grew up. 

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you have a clue?

BB took over a 3-13 team and turned the entire roster over by 78% and got them in the playoffs.

And then a dumbass owner announces mid-season that he is moving the team.

Vince Lombardi would have failed under those circumstances.

What about the rest of his years?

You can't dispute a single thing I said so you made an excuse for one of his losing seasons and brushed over the hatred from fans, media, coaches and owner.

But you ask if I have a clue?  Stick to the topic and troll someone else.  

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Two points:

1) I am always right.

You may be right, but it's certainly not set in stone.

Football replaced baseball as the top sport in the US in a matter of decades. It's bound to change again at some point.

With all of the player health concerns in football coming to the forefront in recent years, there could be a meaningful decline in talent in the coming decades as kids and parents choose safer sports from a young age.

You may be right, but it's certainly not set in stone.

Football replaced baseball as the top sport in the US in a matter of decades. It's bound to change again at some point.

With all of the player health concerns in football coming to the forefront in recent years, there could be a meaningful decline in talent in the coming decades as kids and parents choose safer sports from a young age.

It's all about money.

Where else can companies plop down millions of dollars in advertising and reach their target audience (males age 25-40) from 1:00pm to 11:00 pm on a Sunday?

Can baseball, soccer, basketball, hockey or golf do that?

Nope.

9 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Belichek made Brady, not the other way around.  Belichek made Parcells too.

I don't think that Beli made Parcells. But he sure helped him out a lot and Bill was smart enough to see that. 

Archived