A Football Life: Curtis Martin Sept. 16

JoeC36

12 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I will say this Martin had one thing you don't class.. You could say I respectfully disagree but anyone that disagree's with you is just dumb.. Ok then..:rolleyes: BTW I said he was a role model and a very good durable back show me where I posted he hung on too long??

Class?  You're knocking a HOF player as if you know more than others who elected him.  You're knocking Jets fans for liking one of our only 3 HOF players, you call people who like him Martinetttes and then whine about class?   Disagree with me all you want but you're arguing against a slew of HCs, players and the HOF.  You're wrong.  Need proof?  He's in the hall.  Are you this hell bent on arguing?  You're wrong, he's a top, all time player by virtue of being in the hall.  By his production.  But argue because you've got a pile of nonsensical reasons why he's not as good as everyone thinks. It's dumb and that was being nice.  Why don't you call the hall and tell them to remove his bust from the hall.  

Class, as in claiming that Martin was in it for the stats.  That he forced coaches to play him and feed him the ball? 

Cant wait for Sept 17th when come here and tell us how wrong the show was, how ordinary Marin was

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

2e75d9c0ede2461d8706ce9fcecae468.jpg

Curtis Martin is the Jets Rusty Staub.

Fan favorite, not a leader, lasted forever, compiled stats, never won a damned thing.

SAR I

Pretty sad if you guys can't enjoy any season that doesn't end in a SB. No wonder you're so miserable.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Pretty sad if you guys can't enjoy any season that doesn't end in a SB. No wonder you're so miserable.

There is a difference between enjoying a single successful season and calling yourself a successful franchise.

Since the HOF is about celebrating a franchise achievement over the course of several years, no, I cannot get excited about the career of Curtis Martin.  He was the most important offensive player on some of the most disappointing teams in Jets history, and while he scored 3 playoff TD's in 1998 he scored 0 TD's in his next 5 playoff games in '01, '02, and '04.  He ended his Jets playoff career with 3 TD's and 3 fumbles.  He was not clutch.  He did not play big in big games.  He was the epitome of Jets playoff futility during his career.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

There is a difference between enjoying a single successful season and calling yourself a successful franchise.

Since the HOF is about celebrating a franchise achievement over the course of several years, no, I cannot get excited about the career of Curtis Martin.  He was the most important offensive player on some of the most disappointing teams in Jets history, and while he scored 3 playoff TD's in 1998 he scored 0 TD's in his next 5 playoff games in '01, '02, and '04.  He ended his Jets playoff career with 3 TD's and 3 fumbles.  He was not clutch.  He did not play big in big games.  He was the epitome of Jets playoff futility during his career.

SAR I

I pity your worldview and general demeanor all together

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

So because his teams didn't do it for you, you're taking it out on a HOF player.  Mattingly gives every Yankee fan a chubbie.   But no, some of you like an A-Rod more because he has a ring and Donnies teams all sucked

Quite a list of losers this thread should bring together.  

53 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

No those are facts I have a friend that's a big Martin fan that hated his HOF speech.. His playoff numbers weren't even as good as Shonn Greene who many Jet fans say sucked.. And no that doesn't mean he was a better back..LOL Look I have never been a fan of a one back system.. I liked the Snell-Boozer,Boozer-Riggens,Freeman-Hector combo's .. Jim Brown as great as he was had another back drafted to team up with him in a dream backfield..Sadly Ernie Davis died before that could happen.. Could Martin have done better in the playoffs had he not been given so many carries during the season?? I think so but I was always shouted down by the stats for Cumar crowd..:)

Hey, all I said was to look at Walter Payton's playoff stats. Nothing else. Curtis compares favorably in those. 

Stats aren't everything. Shonn Greene regardless.

Don't always feel like you are being attacked :)

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

I pity your worldview and general demeanor all together

Look, if we were talking about one of Curtis Martins' contemporaries, Wayne Chrebet, we would be having a very different conversation as Wayne played well beyond his capabilities and Curtis well below them.  Despite being on the same run of playoff disappointments, I have mad respect for Chrebet inasmuch as I have disrespect for Martin.  I do not believe I am alone in that sentiment.

SAR I

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

2e75d9c0ede2461d8706ce9fcecae468.jpg

Curtis Martin is the Jets Rusty Staub.

Fan favorite, not a leader, lasted forever, compiled stats, never won a damned thing.

SAR I

While your whole comparison point is rather vapid, I will tell you Rusty Staub was very much a leader. Ask anyone that played with him.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Look, if we were talking about one of Curtis Martins' contemporaries, Wayne Chrebet, we would be having a very different conversation as Wayne played well beyond his capabilities and Curtis well below them.  Despite being on the same run of playoff disappointments, I have mad respect for Chrebet inasmuch as I have disrespect for Martin.  I do not believe I am alone in that sentiment.

SAR I

Yeah what a loser if he only applied himself he could've been a HOF'er.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Exactly what credentials do you have to tell us what the "capabilities" were for both Curtis and Wayne ? 

You can certainly rip Curtis for some of his shortcomings as a player.  But not as a person.  Those ripping his HOF speech are ridiculous.  Not every football player loves playing the game, especially in recent years.  The "game" has shifted to becoming a violent, dangerous profession that can turn your head to mush.  It's always been like that, but only recently is getting recognition for it in the mainstream.

That's not a "game".  That's a lot closer to being a gladiator, with the only difference being that these guys do it by choice so they can make a good living.  Many are choosing not to these days because of the dangers of the sport. 

Martin was honest and truthful and for that he should be commended, not ripped. The game of football is far from innocent, and its certainly not played just to make us fans happy.  These guys put their bodies and brains on the line every day, yet get paid a lot less than NBA and MLB players, and typically do not get guaranteed contracts.  I can see why many players wouldn't enjoy it like us fans would hope they do while sitting on our couches.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You can certainly rip Curtis for some of his shortcomings as a player.  But not as a person.  Those ripping his HOF speech are ridiculous.  Not every football player loves playing the game, especially in recent years.  The "game" has shifted to becoming a violent, dangerous profession that can turn your head to mush. 

That's not a "game".  That's a lot closer to being a gladiator, with the only difference being that these guys do it by choice so they can make a good living.  Many are choosing not to these days because of the dangers of the sport. 

Martin was honest and truthful and for that he should be commended, not ripped. The game of football is far from innocent, and its certainly not played just to make us fans happy.  These guys put their bodies and brains on the line every day, yet get paid a lot less than NBA and MLB players, and typically do not get guaranteed contracts.  I can see why many players wouldn't enjoy it like us fans would hope they do while sitting on our couches.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.” John Wayne

It's more admirable to go to work everyday and do your job for your family if it isn't one big old party. Next people will be saying that coal miners are pussies because they don't love going down into the pit everyday.

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Exactly what credentials do you have to tell us what the "capabilities" were for both Curtis and Wayne ? 

He's a PSL owner and is very rich.  Duh.  Next you'll be questioning why a guy with a nice car is NOT an expert on macroeconomics.  Sheesh Scott, quit being so ignorant.

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Their backgrounds, their physical tools, their college programs.  One was bred to be a football player, the other a short order cook.  One disappointed in big spots, the other exceeded all expectations.

I really don't need to go further, right?  You get that Wayne Chrebet is a 1-in-a-million overachiever and Curtis Martin is your run-of-the-mill starting running back from a Division I program, yes?

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Their backgrounds, their physical tools, their college programs.  One was bred to be a football player, the other a short order cook.  One disappointed in big spots, the other exceeded all expectations.

I really don't need to go further, right?  You get that Wayne Chrebet is a 1-in-a-million overachiever and Curtis Martin is your run-of-the-mill starting running back from a Division I program, yes?

SAR I

Your comments are ignorant, to say the least. 

So, every player that goes to Alabama and has talent should be a star.?

And any player that goes to , say Kutztown, is doomed not to be able to do anything?

I can't believe some of the things you type. i hope you dont either.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

BTW, Martin, and the environment he grew up in, was bred to be a thief and a prisoner. Just so you know

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, every player that goes to Alabama and has talkent should be a star.

Duh.  Name me one monumental bust from Alabama.  Just one.  Other than Trent Richardson.  Or Rolando McClain.  Or Mark Barron.  Other than those guys name me one.  Oh, Dee Milliner.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Many feel it, Cmart had the guts or didn't give any f*cks at that point after he retired to say it. You do anything enough it becomes a grind. I read somewhere that Phil Mickelson hits something like 2,000 golf balls A DAY. You think it's like a weekend golf trip to him every day of his life? Of course not. Being a pro means approaching it LIKE A JOB. That's the definition.

It is hard for folks to get that but if you want the glory there is a real price to pay. 

The problem is we look at these guys and fantasize that it is so easy when it is not. 

CM at the end of his career was running on a knee that was in effect bone to bone.  

Was CM perfect?

No he has said he wasn't perfect.  But he is IMO a perfect example of what happens when you show up and do your best no matter what.  No excuses, shut up and do your best. 

And for that I can't ever be mad at him. 

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

It is hard for folks to get that but if you want the glory there is a real price to pay. 

The problem is we look at these guys and fantasize that it is so easy when it is not. 

CM at the end of his career was running on a knee that was in effect bone to bone.  

Was CM perfect?

No he has said he wasn't perfect.  But he is IMO a perfect example of what happens when you show up and do your best no matter what.  No excuses, shut up and do your best. 

If it was easy Ryan Fitzpatrick wouldn't be making $12 million this year. These guys have rare skillsets and in most cases superhuman ability to inflict punishment on their bodies and there is significant competition among teams for their talents. The league is massively profitable and the salary cap rises seemingly every year. I think we have a lot of Al Bundy's on this board who think except for that twisted ankle back at Polk High they could've been NFL players.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

If it was easy Ryan Fitzpatrick wouldn't be making $12 million this year. These guys have rare skillsets and in most cases superhuman ability to inflict punishment on their bodies and there is significant competition among teams for their talents. The league is massively profitable and the salary cap rises seemingly every year. I think we have a lot of Al Bundy's on this board who think except for that twisted ankle back at Polk High they could've been NFL players.

Some of these guys are just bred to play. Throw their helmet on the field and, ta-da, instant football player.

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Some of these guys are just bred to play. Throw their helmet on the field and, ta-da, instant football player.

The Internet truly is the great equalizer. Even people with laughable opinions get to act as pompous as us geniuses ;)

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

"His speech wasn't great"

"His playoff numbers"

Are those endorsements?

How about reducing a hall of fame career to being a product of being a compiler?  

Thats a compliment? On what planet is that not sullying a career? 

34 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Was CM perfect?

Ive asked these few who go after Martin, if all he did was compile, isn't the same as what others did, why is it only 2 players had more yardage than Martin? 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How about reducing a hall of fame career to being a product of being a compiler?  

Thats a compliment? On what planet is that not sullying a career? 

Or even better reducing a HOF career to one AFC title game. Granted a big stage but man that's harsh. Especially when our defense gave up 167 yards to the other guy

51 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Hard to dislike Martin. Durability does matter. I dont think anyone considers him an all time back, so quit it with the hate.

Was it Parcells that after being asked  a question about the most important trait he valued in a player responded with "availability"?

Archived