Freemanm

Brandon Marshall snaps after terrible Jets practice

By Zach Braziller

August 2, 2016 | 8:32pm

Brandon Marshall

Brandon Marshall

Photo: Bill Kostroun

Allen Iverson would never understand.

In the fifth practice of training camp, Brandon Marshall — the anti-Iverson, who never took much stock in practice in his NBA playing days — blew up, punting a ball over the bleachers after a dropped pass by backup running back Dominique Williams in 11-on-11 team drills competitive period, a rare show of emotion in early August.

It was late in the 2 1/2-hour practice when Marshall erupted, an obvious show of frustration at the end of the lackadaisical workout, particularly by the offense.

“Sometimes you need that, to show people it’s not acceptable to come out and practice like that,” the emotional six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver said Tuesday. “Just frustrated. I think we have high expectations in our offense. Every time we step on the field, especially in the competitive period, we want to win.”

Marshall and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick both expressed disappointment in the overall effort coming after an off-day. Fitzpatrick was off target most of the afternoon, picked off once, his passes inaccurate and lacking zip.

“It’s just important for us to remember we can’t waste any days,” the quarterback said. “We did some good things today, but we had more bad than good today. We have to be able to learn from it. We got to continue to be trending upwards. We have to continue to be getting better each practice. We did not perform the way we should’ve today, and that was for a lot of reasons.

“Today wasn’t a good one all around, for me, for the entire offense, and usually how I go is how the offense is going to go, just in terms of being able to get the ball in guys’ hands and letting them make plays.”

Fitzpatrick hands off to Matt Forte on Aug. 2.

Photo: Bill Kostroun

Afterward, Marshall admitted he “overreacted” and his expectations are “unrealistic,” considering training camp isn’t even a week old. The offense wasn’t dreadful, though it finished poorly. It shouldn’t be much of a surprise, considering Fitzpatrick missed all of the spring, as his agent and the Jets slowly worked on a new contract that was finalized on the eve of the first practice last week. Fitzpatrick gathered the wide receivers together following practice to talk about the sloppy nature of the workout, according to Marshall.

Coach Todd Bowles didn’t take issue with Marshall’s punt, other that to say, in jest, they could use him as a second punter.

“It wasn’t a big deal at all,” Bowles said. “It’s OK in practice, in the game it’s a penalty. Emotion is one thing, as long as you table it the right way.”

The coach felt it was a down practice for both the offense and defense, lacking crispness and execution. Bowles made players run sprints at the end as a result. He just hopes it doesn’t continue.

“I think both units overall were sluggish,” Bowles said. “It’s like that [sometimes] coming back from a day off, but we have to find ways to start faster.”

Marshall joked kicking balls in practice is “almost my staple.” He made headlines in 2009 while with the Broncos for kicking a ball during training camp, and said he does it every five or six weeks during the season, though the media usually isn’t around to see it.

Marshall wasn’t happy with the distance or height of the kick, either. It nearly hit a female fan, in the last row. It also came a few minutes after he tried to throw his helmet, but couldn’t get it off in time.

“That was probably too much,” Marshall said with a smile. “[Tried] to throw your helmet, kicked the ball, all in one day.”

1 minute ago, jgb said:

So lemme get this straight JN attacks Cmart for not having enough passion and BMarsh for having too much. Freaking Goldilocks fans around here.

If you actually wanna get it straight... may want to wait on this post until someone actually attacks Marshall...

Anyone who has played football will understand this is exactly what you need from your leaders on your team. Brandon Marshall is the leader of the offense in as many ways as Fitz and Mangold are. Setting the tone for what is acceptable in practice and what is a failure sets the standard for what will win games in the season and what will lead to pathetic performances ( i.e oakland and houston). 

I hope all the leaders on the offense and defense express this level of emotion, this team needs to be running like a fine tuned machine come week one if we want to be successful this season.

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If you actually wanna get it straight... may want to wait on this post until someone actually attacks Marshall...

I guess calling him insane and "off his meds" for showing enthusiasm about Fitzpatrick is a compliment in your world?

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I guess calling him insane and "off his meds" for showing enthusiasm about Fitzpatrick is a compliment in your world?

Just did a Ctrl-F for meds, insane, crazy, borderline, nuts... Results limited to this post.

Your issue seems to be with the article, not JN.

EDIT: Ah, on reread, bringing in nonsense from another thread... Got it.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Just did a Ctrl-F for meds, insane, crazy, borderline, nuts... Results limited to this post.

Your issue seems to be with the article, not JN.

Psst... there are other threads here. Check it out. Explaining things to gEYno:

wAgVqL6G90QvAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

2 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

Anyone who has played football will understand this is exactly what you need from your leaders on your team. Brandon Marshall is the leader of the offense in as many ways as Fitz and Mangold is. Setting the tone for what is acceptable in practice and what is a failure sets the standard for what will win games in the season and what will lead to pathetic performances ( i.e oakland and houston). 

I hope all the leaders on the offense and defense express this level of emotion, this team needs to be running like a fine tuned machine come week one if we want to be successful this season.

Brady has been known to lose his sh*t in practice when teammates screw up assignments. Practicing correctly IS IMPORTANT in pro football. Brandon & Fitz know this offense has to be on point with those 1st six games, you don't think they know their opening schedule? Sure you take them one at a time but this Jet team doesn't want to wait till the last game of the season to determine their playoff hopes.

14 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

The Post needs to stop reaching....

He kicked a football after a bad practice.....big whoop!

/agree

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

/wtf are you talking about?

Just now, gEYno said:

See edit.  Forgot about your enjoyment of bringing baggage from one thread into the next.

Congratulations, this is a close as most ever come on the internet to admit being wrong. Well done.

Just now, jgb said:

Congratulations, this is a close as most ever come on the internet to admit being wrong. Well done.

I'll do you one better.

I was 100% wrong to think you were actually responding to the thread in question, rather than carrying on because you didn't get a satisfactory response in another thread.  That's completely on me.  

Just now, gEYno said:

I'll do you one better.

I was 100% wrong to think you were actually responding to the thread in question, rather than carrying on because you didn't get a satisfactory response in another thread.  That's completely on me.  

I was wrong to think you could talk about two things at once.

/thought break/

Accept my apologies.

/thought break/

Go Jets.

/end transmission/

Just now, jgb said:

/thought break/

Accept my apologies.

/thought break/

Go Jets.

/end transmission/

jgb, you are the king of the "Now go get your f*ckin shinebox" apologies.

Please be nicer.  You're one of my favorites and I don't want you getting banned.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Psst... there are other threads here. Check it out. Explaining things to gEYno:

wAgVqL6G90QvAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

So chastise the people actually attacking him in the other threads. Does someone need to explain context to you? 

1 minute ago, jgb said:

/thought break/

Accept my apologies.

/thought break/

Go Jets.

/end transmission/

If you want, I'll post a picture of a trophy, so you can feel like you won this interaction?  Let me know.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

So chastise the people actually attacking him in the other threads. Does someone need to explain context to you? 

Thanks for going on record that you will never call out someone for a position that is contradicted in another thread. Since each thread is apparently it's own universe.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

jgb, you are the king of the "Now go get your f*ckin shinebox" apologies.

Please be nicer.  You're one of my favorites and I don't want you getting banned.

Apologies? Plural? Only one apology in this thread. Please don't reference other threads. They don't exist.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Thanks for going on record that you will never call out someone for a position that is contradicted in another thread. Since each thread is apparently it's own universe.

You're in your 40's aren't you?

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

You're in your 40's aren't you?

80s

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

I'm literally only responding to this post to see how far you'll take the need to have the last word...

That's what being done to you. You literally never disappoint.

Just now, The Crusher said:

Good heavens.  Knock it off and stay on topic.  You are both weiners in my eyes .  Hey!!  Where the hell is Dbatesman?  NOW that's a man that can get this thread on topic.  

Agree. So back to Marshall being a team leader.

Archived