Plenty of intriguing plot twists in the Jets' quarterback soap opera

Gas2No99

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I will just go on record that either Petty or Geno are better starting choices for this season. But Bowles loves Fitz, who will single handedly destroy this season.

Johnny I think I understand your point of needing to address OB stability long term. Fitz in my opinion will not destroy the season. Fitz brings a confidence to the others on offense something Geno and Petty need to learn. No 2 QBs do it the same way but the importance is doing it is. If they both can learn this and find their nitch they both will be better players in the long run. Maybe just maybe they can do it for the Jets.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

He started slow but ended strong. What I was mostly impressed with was when the plays went south (bad snap by the Center/free rusher on a screen). Geno didnt exacerbate the situation. He played for the next down and made sure that his drives produced points in which 10 of the Jets 17 points came on two Geno drives. I think Geno had 3 drives before being pulled. 

Geno didnt "light it up", but he wasnt poor. He moved the offense and produced points. One thing thats a fact, he got better as the game progressed. That counts for something in my eyes. Now if he were to regress in game 2 then that would be cause for alarm for me. However, if he capitalizes on that game then do we then say that Gailey helped him? 

It's game 1 my friend. 

Please note; Geno threw the game winning TD to Peake in the late stages of the 1st half

32 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Please note; Geno threw the game winning TD to Peake in the late stages of the 1st half

Because that's what matters most in the first preseason game?

Geno looked like Geno.

Lets all hope he looks better, the supposed "improved Geno" you all talked about all offseason.

Because we may need him, if Fitz falters, or Fitz gets hurt.

1st Preseason Game of course, so all the usual disclaimers of such, but for a guy who got every #1 rep all offseason, he looked......exactly the same.

1 good play for every 4 bad ones, two or more "Advanced stats" INT's, a few scoring drives, and a few ugly three and outs or similar.

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Geno looked like Geno.

Lets all hope he looks better, the supposed "improved Geno" you all talked about all offseason.

1st Preseason Game of course, so all the usual disclaimers of such, but for a guy who got every #1 rep all offseason, he looked......exactly the same.

1 good play for every 4 bad ones, two or more "Advanced stats" INT's, a few scoring drives, and a few ugly three and outs or similar.

I never said he was an improved Geno. I said that he had better WR's than before. More play makers. That pass to Peake was a dart that more than likely would not have been caught by the likes of Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates or David Nelson. I am not big on stats. He threw the game winning score when the Jets were behind.

I hope that Petty gets better. The Jets need a QB for the future. I really don't care which one turns out best, just that one of them do. I am a Jets fan. Of course I like individual players but when they're not Jets.....

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Geno looked like Geno.

Putting points on the board during your drives? I sure as hell hope so. lol. 

5 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Johnny I think I understand your point of needing to address OB stability long term. Fitz in my opinion will not destroy the season. Fitz brings a confidence to the others on offense something Geno and Petty need to learn. No 2 QBs do it the same way but the importance is doing it is. If they both can learn this and find their nitch they both will be better players in the long run. Maybe just maybe they can do it for the Jets.

I actually think Petty already brings confidence, and leadership to the offense, its his skills that are not up to par just yet, if Petty was playbook, and NFL defense recognition equal to Fitz I think he would command all the respect, and confidence that Fitz seems to command from his teamates, I don't think it is something he has to learn I think it is something he already has, and is the number one reason why he is making Geno look over his shoulder.

Gino got all the reps off season! More reps then petty training camp. Already obvious petty is better! & he's showing leadership qualities gino doesn't have! I don't get the gino love! He sucks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

What I was mostly impressed with was when the plays went south (bad snap by the Center/free rusher on a screen). Geno didnt exacerbate the situation.

I hope I am misreading this and you are not grading Geno on the curve of equating not making a bad situation worse as "impress[ive]" performance.

20 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

What I have drawn from this thread is that after over three years with this team people still can't figure out it's Geno and not Gino.

Well ... If he hasn't learned anything over that timespan why should we?

25 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I hope I am misreading this and you are not grading Geno on the curve of equating not making a bad situation worse as "impress[ive]" performance.

Lol ... Business as usual for "Geno's Myhero's " crowd

4 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

When you see a problem with a player in his past you want to see those things are eliminated. That's part of any evaluation of a player. When Geno made mistakes in the raiders game he made in the past that is the first thing you hear. To see him not do that could be a sign of development. 

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

When you see a problem with a player in his past you want to see those things are eliminated. That's part of any evaluation of a player. When Geno made mistakes in the raiders game he made in the past that is the first thing you hear. To see him not do that could be a sign of development. 

I won't disagree with that.

Are you really "impressed" by a player who doesn't make a play worse by being a part of it? I mean, isn't that the baseline for a player doing his job?

14 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Putting points on the board during your drives? I sure as hell hope so. lol. 

Points are irrelevant, it's preseason.  They don't count.

Quality of overall play and preperation for the regular season are what matters (along with not getting hurt).

But I'm curious Villian, as a previous proponent of advanced stats, why have you continued to ignore the 2+ "advanced stat" INT's Geno threw in game one?

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The preseason doesnt count, so why even play? 

Had you actually read the post you quoted, you'd already know the answer:

"Quality of overall play and preparation for the regular season are what matters (along with not getting hurt)."

You cant be taken seriously. Im going back to the thread where I was. 

I'd say someone who posted as much hurf-a-blurf about "advanced stats" as you did, then resolutely refuses to even acknowledge the concept when the QB he supports throws 2+ "advanced stat" INT's.....that's the guy who shouldn't be taken seriously.

The bias is obvious Villian.  You can try and ignore it, but you'll be called out on it regardless.  If Advanced Stats matter, and you claimed they did, then why your abject refusal to make not of them now, for Geno, other than bias?

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The first line was enough to indicate "waste of time". 

Im going back to the other thread. Im not going to entertain this. Good luck with Petty blowing the doors off by the way! :-) 

Do as you like mate, this is just the usual "I have no response" answer you give when you're argument is exposed as weak or inconsistent or fraudulent.  

Guess I won't be hearing how much you "owned me" today, eh?  ;)

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Do as you like mate, this is just the usual "I have no response" answer you give when you're argument is exposed as weak or inconsistent or fraudulent.  

Guess I won't be hearing how much you "owned me" today, eh?  ;)

"Geno's Myhero's " are unable to respond to logic or reason driven posts

On 8/14/2016 at 7:21 AM, AFJF said:

Again...none of that changes any of my original point, which was that there are some things a QB must do correctly in order to complete a pass.  If he does not do it right, the pass won't be completed.  I heard a million times this off-season that completing a pass from Fitz required two things 1) Take snap 2) Chuck ball up in the air.

I thought he just had to roll his helmet onto the field.

7 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

If we attempt to PS Petty and lose him, we only have Hack as our sole QB under contract next year. That would be a serious issue.  Could we risk that?

Yes.

Sign one (veteran), draft one (rookie).

And we're fine.

Not my preference, but certainly doable.

Now, a counter-question:  Who wants to have Petty on the roster for all of 2016 and to cut their own #3 QB to do it?  Who are the risk-factors, specifically?  Because I'm not seeing many.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes.

Sign one (veteran), draft one (rookie).

And we're fine.

Not my preference, but certainly doable.

Now, a counter-question:  Who wants to have Petty on the roster for all of 2016 and to cut their own #3 QB to do it?  Who are the risk-factors, specifically?  Because I'm not seeing many.

I'll let you know after a couple more preseason games ;) 

How much the preseason matters according to VTF when Geno makes a bad play, on a scale of 1-10: 0

On 8/13/2016 at 4:57 PM, Villain The Foe said:

It was ä Bad preseason pass, no denying that. 

On 8/14/2016 at 3:36 AM, Villain The Foe said:

I said it was a bad preseason pass. It wasn't in the reg season or post season. They've been in training camp for 2 weeks, I can get past 1 play when it's game 1 of the preseason.  

How much the preseason matters according to VTF when trying to prove that Geno is learning from his past and eliminating mistakes, on a scale of 1-10: Infinity

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Points are irrelevant, it's preseason.  They don't count.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

The preseason doesnt count, so why even play? 

You cant be taken seriously. 

I think Geno looked ok on Thursday night. Started terribly, didn't do much to impress me against the second or third stringers on an already below average Jax D, but settled in and held his own after the terrible start. Basically: consistently inconsistent with below average QBing ability, and above average throwing ability. 

It's exactly what we've gotten from him in the past, and it's what we'll likely get from him in the future if he sticks around. Backup quality quarterbacking. Not much more we can ask for from a second round pick with capped upside. 

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's a fact.

Glad you agree. Look what happens when you put both facts together:

One thing thats a fact, he got better as the game progressed. Another thing that's a fact, as the game progressed, the Jags D subbed out second stringers for third stringers. 

We're talking about a second round pick who's started 30 NFL games, and is going in to his fourth year in the league and second year with this coach and playbook. And you're impressed that while he was bad against second stringers, and wasn't lighting it up when he got to go against the third stringers, at least he wasn't poor. 

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Glad you agree. Look what happens when you put both facts together:

One thing thats a fact, he got better as the game progressed. Another thing that's a fact, as the game progressed, the Jags D subbed out second stringers for third stringers. 

We're talking about a second round pick who's started 30 NFL games, and is going in to his fourth year in the league and second year with this coach and playbook. And you're impressed that while he was bad against second stringers, and wasn't lighting it up when he got to go against the third stringers, at least he wasn't poor. 

The Truth

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Another thing that's a fact, as the game progressed, the Jags D subbed out second stringers for third stringers. 

So by the time Petty came in who exactly was he throwing against ?  

When will all this end ?

Archived