Petty's Injury Made The 53 Easier ...

KRL

A few reasons why stashing Petty on any IR is not smart. You can only use short term IR on a player that is on your final 53 man roster. So that kind of defeats the purpose. Putting him on IR for the season means he can't practice with the team at all for the entire season. Talk about stunting his growth. You could put him on PUP and he'd be out for the first 6 weeks but again he's not allowed to practice with the team and week 7 you would still have the same roster dilemma. Any of those scenarios would just be hurting his development. Do we really need the 9 lineman to make the team that's going to never be active or do we keep a developing QB prospect? The choice is clear to me.

7 hours ago, Larz said:

Very well put. I think hack to ps is possible

Nobody would expose a 2nd round pick to the practice squad. You do realize they would have to release Hack and he'd have to clear waivers in order for him to be put on the practice squad right? He would get scooped up in a heart beat. 

4 hours ago, choon328 said:

Nobody would expose a 2nd round pick to the practice squad. You do realize they would have to release Hack and he'd have to clear waivers in order for him to be put on the practice squad right? He would get scooped up in a heart beat. 

The 1.6m signing bonus will probably save Hack from the cut list or PS but he is not a 2nd round pick anymore, Hack was a graded as a ~5th round pick and has demonstrated his value in that area, he would clear waivers with no problem since no team would assume his salary, I would agree it possible he gets poached from the PS later in the season so a 6-7 week practice squad tour would be an interesting strategy to try and keep a quality player

I would have been happier if Hack did not play a down in preseason 

11 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

The 1.6m signing bonus will probably save Hack from the cut list or PS but he is not a 2nd round pick anymore, Hack was a graded as a ~5th round pick and has demonstrated his value in that area, he would clear waivers with no problem since no team would assume his salary, I would agree it possible he gets poached from the PS later in the season so a 6-7 week practice squad tour would be an interesting strategy to try and keep a quality player

NFL.com had him as a 2nd/3rd round pick. Walter Football had him between  rounds 1-3. And by your rationalization if Jared Goff was released today nobody would pick him up either bc he has been awful.  To the point that Sean Mannion, a 2015 3rd round pick, beat him out for the backup job. The reality is these guys are young and both need to be developed over at least a couple of seasons before either should see game action. But you're crazy if you think a team wouldn't claim him on waivers. 

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

NFL.com had him as a 2nd/3rd round pick. Walter Football had him between  rounds 1-3. And by your rationalization if Jared Goff was released today nobody would pick him up either bc he has been awful.  To the point that Sean Mannion, a 2015 3rd round pick, beat him out for the backup job. The reality is these guys are young and both need to be developed over at least a couple of seasons before either should see game action. But you're crazy if you think a team wouldn't claim him on waivers. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but any player picked up  on waivers has to be put on the 53 man roster 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but any player picked up  on waivers has to be put on the 53 man roster 

So?  Maybe some team set with 2 stable QB's decides to stash a developmental QB as the #53.  You know, like the Patriots.

A lot of teams carry 3 QB's on the 53...like we did with Petty last year.

Just now, greenwave81 said:

So?  Maybe some team set with 2 stable QB's decides to stash a developmental QB as the #53.  You know, like the Patriots.

A lot of teams carry 3 QB's on the 53...like we did with Petty last year.

i was asking a question about the rules I wasn't implying anything 

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Time to put the crack pipe down.  No one cuts a player for one bad game his first camp.  

10 hours ago, choon328 said:

We can agree that they both need to be developed for a couple of seasons (also agree Goff was a bad pick at the top of the draft with his signature 5 interceptions in 1 game) we can disagree on Hack clearing waivers (he will not get cut so we will never know for sure) and while it is possible that I am crazy, I would not be alone considering  PFF graded Hack as a UDFA 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg/ 

He is a Jet now and we both want to see him succeed  

17 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

We can agree that they both need to be developed for a couple of seasons (also agree Goff was a bad pick at the top of the draft with his signature 5 interceptions in 1 game) we can disagree on Hack clearing waivers (he will not get cut so we will never know for sure) and while it is possible that I am crazy, I would not be alone considering  PFF graded Hack as a UDFA 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg/ 

He is a Jet now and we both want to see him succeed  

Pretty much disagree with everything here.  For one who cares what a PFF blogger wrote, has nothing to do with reality.  They were wrong that Hack was undraftable and are the only ones who had him a USFA.  So really what's the point.   Someone would grab him if released, crazy to think another team, even if they thought he was worth a 4th wouldn't take a free shot.  Just as no one will agree with you that Goff was a bad pick at the top of the draft.  His,draft status didn't change because he looks like a rookie.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/02/jets-refuse-to-take-the-easy-way-out-with-bryce-petty-problem/

Jets refuse to take the easy way out with Bryce Petty problem

So much for the IR solution to the Jets’ quarterback dilemma.

Jets coach Todd Bowles said Friday the team will not place Bryce Petty on injured reserve this weekend as they cut their roster down to 53. An MRI exam revealed no structural damage in Petty’s right shoulder, and he was diagnosed with a bruised shoulder.

Petty suffered the injury in the first quarter of Thursday night’s preseason finale with the Eagles. The injury seemingly opened up an avenue for the Jets to keep all four of their quarterbacks by putting Petty on injured reserve so he would not occupy a spot on the active 53-man roster. But the Jets are not going that route.

Though Bowles ruled out placing Petty on IR before the cuts are completed, he did not rule it out altogether. Teams must cut their rosters down to 53 players by 4 p.m. Saturday.

“It’s too early to tell,” Bowles said. “We’re still waiting to see the recovery time. We’re just going to assess him this week and see how it goes with treatment.”

That certainly makes it sound as if Petty has made the team, but Bowles said that had not been determined yet when he spoke to reporters at 3 p.m. Friday. He said the Jets front office and coaches would meet Friday evening to figure out the cuts and players would be informed Saturday.

Archived