Mac and Bowles are on big learning curves.

Powpow

Mac has made some nice moves but others are severely questionable and downright dumb.  Signing Revis and Harris we're panic moves and they severely impacted the cap. The money spent on the others in the secondary has been a waste. They are just too inconsistent and not worth the money invested in them.   Geno's is still on this roster. Inexplicable.  Many of Macs draft picks have not panned out. Devin Smith - bust. Harrison - bust.  And others. On the positive side, he's had sone good finds. Bringing Fitz to mentor and be the backup turned into gold for Mac.  Marsh was a steal. Clady was a good risk. Drafting Petty was smart. He could be the real deal. Drafting Hack was head scratching. Leo was an absolute steal. Lots of other good and bad by Mac. Overall he's done a decent job but still underwhelming.  Lot of hit and miss. Bowles seems like he just can't adjust during a  game and is so conservative it's downright infuriating.  Yet he demands excellence and is a no nonsense type persona which this organization desperately needed after the Rexasaurus era. He is raw as they come during game day adjustments.  And as mentioned, he needs to coach this secondary up. It's embarrassingly bad. I like that he has stayed with Fitz and relegated Geno to the bench. I don't like that he's kept Geno but thats more Mac probably. Regardless, this organization is moving foward but had a lot of good talent to work around.  Mac needs to spend the money wiser and Bowles needs to take more of an aggressive approach. Getting closer yet so far. 

Signing Revis was probably more a Woody move than a Macc move. We had no corners and Woody clearly said he wanted Revis back. Harris has been a solid player for us. We weren't exactly strapped for cap space this year we were able to sign Wilkerson which no one thought we could. Many of Macs draft picks have not panned out? WOW that must be your way of saying Mac didn't pick the guys that all of the mock drafts said he was going to Devin Smith essentially hasn't seen the field yet (2-3 games he did and he got a touchdown). Harrison was drafted in the fifth round to be a project offensive lineman...fifth round picks don't get to be busts as anything in the draft after round three is a crap shoot really. I do agree that Bowles has some kinks that he needs to work out but he has only been here for one full season now and his only experience as a head coach is with us. This team is moving in the right direction, this probably won't be our year but our roster is filling up with young talent hiding underneath some pretty good veteran players who they can learn from. I think everyone needs to stop digging so deep into things and stop stretching out so far to find problems where there are none. 

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Signing Revis was probably more a Woody move than a Macc move. We had no corners and Woody clearly said he wanted Revis back. Harris has been a solid player for us. We weren't exactly strapped for cap space this year we were able to sign Wilkerson which no one thought we could. Many of Macs draft picks have not panned out? WOW that must be your way of saying Mac didn't pick the guys that all of the mock drafts said he was going to Devin Smith essentially hasn't seen the field yet (2-3 games he did and he got a touchdown). Harrison was drafted in the fifth round to be a project offensive lineman...fifth round picks don't get to be busts as anything in the draft after round three is a crap shoot really. I do agree that Bowles has some kinks that he needs to work out but he has only been here for one full season now and his only experience as a head coach is with us. This team is moving in the right direction, this probably won't be our year but our roster is filling up with young talent hiding underneath some pretty good veteran players who they can learn from. I think everyone needs to stop digging so deep into things and stop stretching out so far to find problems where there are none. 

Signing Revis, who is not what he once was to such a huge contract was DUMB. Harris was another mindless move since he can't cover your grandmother. Great guy - just no longer a starting LB. Take off the sunglasses and maybe you'll see this team is severely flawed. 

9 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Another one of those threads that more than likely doesn't get written if the Jets win yesterday. The beauty of the NFL.......week to week for fans and armchair GM's/HC's.

Actually I wrote a similar thread last year and still feel this way.  Thanks for your profound insight. 

38 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Signing Revis, who is not what he once was to such a huge contract was DUMB. Harris was another mindless move since he can't cover your grandmother. Great guy - just no longer a starting LB. Take off the sunglasses and maybe you'll see this team is severely flawed. 

I don't think everyone loves the signings right now most didn't love the Harris signing when it was signed but to say the team is severely flawed is a joke. Three years ago when Rex and Idzik were here the team was severely flawed, right now we are still rebuilding and forget taking off sunglasses you must be blind if you don't see our roster taking shape in the form of young talent at depth waiting for their chance to prove themselves in the NFL. The season is also still fresh so there is time for Macc to swing a trade to bring in a decent CB which would make us more than competitive this year.

I also agree with the Revis signing. Because it's more than just signing a player. The dude can be a mentor for the young players coming in. It's an image signing more than a football signing. 

Harris has played very well the last couple of years so I have no problem with that. 

The team is rebuilding and the old guys are here only because Jets fans wouldn't be able to stand a full rebuild. This is going to be a transition year as we go to a younger QB next year

2 hours ago, The Troll said:

Signing Revis was not dumb. He's the greatest Jet in the last forty years. He never should have left in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One over the greatest Jets. True. Also one that left the organization because he felt unappreciated. And we all know what that was about.  Also went to the Pats for the money. The Pats. Unreal. If he so longed to return to NY, there was no need to break the bank for him.  No one else would have paid him that much and db's have a tendency to lose their skills as they get older. Bad bad contract for a player that is past his prime. 

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't think everyone loves the signings right now most didn't love the Harris signing when it was signed but to say the team is severely flawed is a joke. Three years ago when Rex and Idzik were here the team was severely flawed, right now we are still rebuilding and forget taking off sunglasses you must be blind if you don't see our roster taking shape in the form of young talent at depth waiting for their chance to prove themselves in the NFL. The season is also still fresh so there is time for Macc to swing a trade to bring in a decent CB which would make us more than competitive this year.

With the money Mac had to play with in acquiring FA's, this team is severely flawed. His 2 drafts have been below average.  Yet he's made up for it with a few good trades and FA signings. The Harris and Revis signings total 20 mil per year alone.  Absurd for 2 aging players past their prime. Take all that money to Gilchrist, Revis, Skrine,  Harris and apply it elsewhere. Like I said, Mac's on a learning curve, a big one. 

Signing Revis was not dumb. He's the greatest Jet in the last forty years. He never should have left in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sign for future performance not past glory.  He has not come close to living up to his contract last year and in this 1st game.  I don't blame them for signing him but the value is not good right now.

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

With the money Mac had to play with in acquiring FA's, this team is severely flawed. His 2 drafts have been below average.  Yet he's made up for it with a few good trades and FA signings. The Harris and Revis signings total 20 mil per year alone.  Absurd for 2 aging players past their prime. Take all that money to Gilchrist, Revis, Skrine,  Harris and apply it elsewhere. Like I said, Mac's on a learning curve, a big one. 

Throw Fitz's $12mm in there and you know why the Jets have serious holes.

He also was playing very well last season until Hopkins destroyed him.  Hell, even with the awful games against the Texans and Bills last year, Revis still had the lowest completion % allowed of any CB in the NFL in 2015.

Sometimes guys just get old quicker than others.  Moreover, it's never been more difficult to play corner in this league.  Can't knock the signing. 

3 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Below average? Williams, Mauldin, play now. Simon is a good potential player and Petty as well. That's 4 out of 6.

Glichrist has been solid. So has Harris. Skrine is being misused.

We lost a game.  To a team that was favored over us.

time to panic and blame everyone.   We can't just lose to  better team.  We need to blame someone. Or two.  

One loss, shlt.  What was the learning curve that was used to go from 4 wins to 10 a year ago?  Lost it with a loss. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

time to panic and blame everyone.   We can't just lose to  better team.  We need to blame someone. Or two.  

One loss, shlt.  What was the learning curve that was used to go from 4 wins to 10 a year ago?  Lost it with a loss. 

And also especially that most experts and fans think they aren't going to be as good this year. The Jets were EXPECTED to struggle

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We're likely going to be underdogs for at least 4 of the next 5..likely all 5.  Are we supposed to be happy being 0-6, just because we were underdogs?

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We lost a very winnable game against a good team. We left four points on the field, which cost us in the end, and big mistakes. We had no answer to AJ Green (Revis certainly wasn't it). The bottom line is that the Jets let a big game slip through their fingers. With the tougher schedule this season, the Jets absolutely cannot afford to lose games like this. 

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We're likely going to be underdogs for at least 4 of the next 5..likely all 5.  Are we supposed to be happy being 0-6, just because we were underdogs?

No, why should we be happy?  But blaming everyone for losing to a better team helps you feel better?  Somehow blaming Marshall, Fitz, Folk, coaches, the Giants, whoever makes it better than we're a good team that even with all the mistakes we made we still almost came away with a victory.  That FG doesn't get blocked and we win the CS, players, game plan etc don't get the same grade as they do today.  

2 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

We lost a very winnable game against a good team. We left four points on the field, which cost us in the end, and big mistakes. We had no answer to AJ Green (Revis certainly wasn't it). The bottom line is that the Jets let a big game slip through their fingers. With the tougher schedule this season, the Jets absolutely cannot afford to lose games like this. 

And while true doesn't change things.  

And it's football, teams can't give away games, has nothing to do with schedules.  

23 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Below average? Williams, Mauldin, play now. Simon is a good potential player and Petty as well. That's 4 out of 6.

Glichrist has been solid. So has Harris. Skrine is being misused.

Max's draft all falls on Petty. Drafting Hack in round 2 was dumb. No one would have touched him until round 4. He had lower upside than Petty.  Drafting Leo was good but it's really hard to whiff on a #1. Even Idziot hit a slam dunk on Pryor and Rich. Gilchrist is invisible. When do u ever hear his name. Skrine is a penalty machine wherever he plays. Overall the team IS better than the Rex/Idziot era but how could it not be. IMO Mac spent way to much on inferior talent. Learning curve. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

No, why should we be happy?  But blaming everyone for losing to a better team helps you feel better?  Somehow blaming Marshall, Fitz, Folk, coaches, the Giants, whoever makes it better than we're a good team that even with all the mistakes we made we still almost came away with a victory.  That FG doesn't get blocked and we win the CS, players, game plan etc don't get the same grade as they do today.  

Isn't this a Jet message board?  We come to discuss the team in its success's and failures.  Yesterday was a failure and we're have a discussion as to why.  Seems very reasonable to me.

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm not blaming anyone so to speak. Just pointing out that this team has many flaws  and wasn't constructed as well as it could have. Mac is a young GM. Bowles is a raw head coach. They will hopefully learn from their mistakes. Rex surely hasn't. 

I know it's something of a digression, but whether or not it was a good move, I believe the move to bring Revis back had to be on Woody.  No way the Jets make that move unless Woody was all in on it.  Now that doesn't mean Macc was against it, but it was going to happen because Woody wanted it to.

Those who don't like the move, and ftr I am not in that group, may wonder why Macc did not, when he shold have in their view, did something to talk Woody out of it.  But that's speculation.  It was a Woody move.

16 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Max's draft all falls on Petty. Drafting Hack in round 2 was dumb. No one would have touched him until round 4. He had lower upside than Petty.  Drafting Leo was good but it's really hard to whiff on a #1. Even Idziot hit a slam dunk on Pryor and Rich. Gilchrist is invisible. When do u ever hear his name. Skrine is a penalty machine wherever he plays. Overall the team IS better than the Rex/Idziot era but how could it not be. IMO Mac spent way to much on inferior talent. Learning curve. 

It is unfair to center a persons drafting success on one player. It is the collective of talent that you pick up. 

David Harris has played great for the last two years. You play Darron Lee when you have passing plays and he makes the tackles as he did yesterday. 

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He also was playing very well last season until Hopkins destroyed him.  Hell, even with the awful games against the Texans and Bills last year, Revis still had the lowest completion % allowed of any CB in the NFL in 2015.

Sometimes guys just get old quicker than others.  Moreover, it's never been more difficult to play corner in this league.  Can't knock the signing. 

He did and was EXPOSED. You don't pay that kind of bank unless you're a shut down corner in his prime. Love Revis. In fact, I think he was the best corner EVER. But he's past his prime and costs way to much. We bid against ourselves. 

How quickly you forget the guys that Mac and Bowles replaced and the moves THEY made. How about Tanny for instance, picking DE Vernon Gholston over QB Joe Flacco when all the Jets had was a dead winged Chad Pennington. How about the doozy of second rounders Vlad Ducasse and Stephen Hill? Not to mention passing on QB Russell Wilson. How about Idzik's great moves of Dee Milliner and Geno Smith? Mac is miles ahead of these dummies and Bowles is an adult in the HC chair. I agree he needs to vastly improve his in game adjustments but it is just his second year.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Isn't this a Jet message board?  We come to discuss the team in its success's and failures.  Yesterday was a failure and we're have a discussion as to why.  Seems very reasonable to me.

There is a difference between coming to a message board and discussing failures and just bitching

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

I'm not blaming anyone so to speak. Just pointing out that this team has many flaws  and wasn't constructed as well as it could have. Mac is a young GM. Bowles is a raw head coach. They will hopefully learn from their mistakes. Rex surely hasn't. 

The team has flaw, agreed.  But to blame them on Macc being young?  He took over a 4 win team that was missing talent everywhere.  There's a cap and a draft, you can't replace everyone all at once.  

Anyone who expected a GM to come in completely overhaul the roster in 2 offseasons, given where we started was overly optimistic. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Placing the blame in the wrong area, like just blaming everyone, isn't a discussion. 

Fair enough...If there are people just listing virtually the entire team and saying they suck...then you're right.  

I personally put the blame squarely on one person's shoulders - obviously not single handedly...but Ryan Fitzpatrick is the major reason the Jets lost and will continue to be the major issue all season.  It's not like he's doing something wrong, it's just he doesn't have the skill-set to be a competent NFL starting caliber QB... 

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The team has flaw, agreed.  But to blame them on Macc being young?  He took over a 4 win team that was missing talent everywhere.  There's a cap and a draft, you can't replace everyone all at once.  

Anyone who expected a GM to come in completely overhaul the roster in 2 offseasons, given where we started was overly optimistic. 

I just didn't care for how he spent all that money Idziot created. Mac's signings have been highly suspect. Yes we're better but there was slot of talent on this team when he got here and he struck gold with Fitz last year. Which is why he HAD to resign him this year. Big props to Mac for bringing him back. I stand firm on the secondary signings - they have all been for the most part a waste of good money that could have been spent elsewhere or on better talent. 

Archived