Offensive Line stuff

nj meadowlands

The O-Line was a pleasant surprise last night.  I felt like Fitz caught some heat off the edges a few times, but generally was kept pretty clean.  As much as I like to make fun of Rex, and Buffalo, they have a pretty respectable front 7.  Was especially impressed with the job Wesley Johnson did filling in for Carpenter (hopefully his injury isn't bad though - we really need him).

For the OL junkies out there, what is going on at RT? Seemed to my amateur eye that Ijalana (obvious bias in my signature notwithstanding) played a better game than Qvale.  How long is a RT rotation sustainable?

Mac and Bowles deserve a lot of credit for getting guys in or coaching up the depth thats already been here. This is what keeps teams alive, depth! What a novel idea.

Sad that we not only didn't have quality depth, we didn't have anyone for depth at any position especially the oLine in the last decade.

25 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

For the OL junkies out there, what is going on at RT? Seemed to my amateur eye that Ijalana (obvious bias in my signature notwithstanding) played a better game than Qvale.  How long is a RT rotation sustainable?

After this game the position seems to be closing in on Ijalana. I don't know that I'd completely count out Qvale but definitely felt Ijalana played substantially better.

I expected the line to be a consistent problem.  So far, it's been much better than I could have hoped.  Those guys, and the coaches, deserve a LOT of credit for this and keeping it up is probably the key to the season now.  This team, with good OLine play, should be capable of hanging 30 points any given week against all but the very best defensive efforts.

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

The O-Line was a pleasant surprise last night.  I felt like Fitz caught some heat off the edges a few times, but generally was kept pretty clean.  As much as I like to make fun of Rex, and Buffalo, they have a pretty respectable front 7.  Was especially impressed with the job Wesley Johnson did filling in for Carpenter (hopefully his injury isn't bad though - we really need him).

Yeah I think Ijjy should have won that job last night. Qvale didn't play bad but Ijalana was very good. Qvale looks like he's still trying to get used to his new technique. Building muscle memory for his new wider stance.

The whole line seemed to jell as a unit which is very encouraging to me. Johnson played pretty well once he got comfortable. Maybe he and Qvale battle it out in practice for the job until Carp returns. 

I could see Ijjy as our starting LT maybe next year with Qvale at RT. 

The Oline could have been the seasons Achilles heel. As it turns out, it's been pretty solid, though I think we're giving the a bit more credit than they deserve simply because we expected less. Winters is the biggest surprise to me. He can pull and block downfield far better than Colon was able.  He's developed nicely.  Fortes exceptional vision and burst is a big reason the line looks as good as it does right now. As for right tackle, we need one. The two rotating right now are shaky at best. 

27 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Winters is the biggest surprise to me. He can pull and block downfield far better than Colon was able.  

And he can do it without holding every time. 

I liked Willie but in the mathematics of oversized Colons, Bart > Willie.  That is all.

Archived