Make Pepper Johnson the interim head coach

Clueless Owner

I haven't watched the last two games because I am sick of Todd Bowles,  Keeping him as head coach for this season would only prolong and worsen the problems.  He would lose the veterans.  The even worse problem is that the younger players would develop under his tutelage, which, right now, is not a good thing.

One in-house solution might be Pepper Johnson.  I really do not know much about the guy, other than he was a linebacker under Parcells and Belicheck, and also the d-line coach for Belicheck in New England for many years.  He also played for the Jets late in the 90's I believe.  From things I have read though, he seems like a demanding coach, for the d-linemen at least.  He seems like a good communicator - the coach that people hear the loudest at practice is him, at least that is something I have read.  He comes across as an intense coach (something that is severely lacking in Bowles, in my opinion).  What these players need right now is a coach that will constantly kick them in their rear end and get on their case relentlessly, a coach that will not accept good enough as good enough.  Maybe Pepper Johnson is that kind of coach.  It wouldn't hurt to try, because they are going absolutely nowhere with Todd Bolwes, in my opinion.

Even though he was a head coach,I wouldn't want to go with Chan Gailey because he comes across as blase.  Rodgers seems like Bolwes personality-wise.  If they went out of the organization for an interim coach, the only other person I can think of right now might be Chad Pennington, because he seems to have been hanging around the team a lot.  But bringing him in would be a stretch.

Bowles is not getting fired and nor should he.

Looking at the talent on this team many of us were looking at 1-5 to start the season...we've been underdogs for each loss.  

Yes, they've looked very bad losing, haven't been competitive in 3 weeks and Bowles has made some head scratching moves but you don't fire a head coach for a bad quarter season.

He'll get this season and one more before you should start looking to move on.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Looking at the talent on this team many of us were looking at 1-5 to start the season...we've been underdogs for each loss.  

Yes, they've looked very bad losing, haven't been competitive in 3 weeks and Bowles has made some head scratching moves but you don't fire a head coach for a bad quarter season.

Bowles isn't a Macc guy remember that stranger things have happened involving the NY Jets someone is going to get fired for whats going on. Book it. 

We can always blame Geno Smith right? 

As long as we've way out there in right field and going out on a limb, I'll share an random thought I recently had too.

Peyton Manning.

They guy is a winner and that counts for one hell of a lot IMHO.  He's got tons of NFL experience and I'm sure he's know which coaches to try to hire on both sides of the ball; coaches that would have his back.  I know he's know how to manage things in game and motivate his teammates.  He also knows a thing or two about offense.  I'm sure he's got views on defences and schemes he loved and hated facing.  

Flame away about how he has no coaching experience.  I'm sure I will here plenty of that.  Time for a hail Mary IMHO.    

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Personally, I was wary of Bowles from the get-go, when his name was being bandied about with Dan Quinn as potential head coach for the Jets.  I remember hearing and reading how "smart" Todd Bowles was as a defensive coordinator for the Cardinals, and for some reason, people were were saying he was a head coaching candidate.  Once he was hired, I was willing and hoping that he would be a smart coach, say in the mode of a Mike Tomlin.  It was just after watching and listening to a few interviews.. that I knew the Jets were in trouble.  When Todd speaks, it's almost like he has a spaciness around him, like he isn't really aware of where he is.  It's that lack of awareness of the present situation.. you can see that in games, when he trying to manage them.  I remember someone was interviewing Bill Parcells, would had Bowles as a position coach in Dallas, what he thought of as Todd Bowles chances as a head coach in New York with the Jets, and his answer was "well.....", and there was silence. 

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

As long as we've way out there in right field and going out on a limb, I'll share an random thought I recently had too.

Peyton Manning.

They guy is a winner and that counts for one hell of a lot IMHO.  He's got tons of NFL experience and I'm sure he's know which coaches to try to hire on both sides of the ball; coaches that would have his back.  I know he's know how to manage things in game and motivate his teammates.  He also knows a thing or two about offense.  I'm sure he's got views on defences and schemes he loved and hated facing.  

Flame away about how he has no coaching experience.  I'm sure I will here plenty of that.  Time for a hail Mary IMHO.    

New York Jets are in last place.

(Nationwide jingle)

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Belichick let Pepper go because he most likely sucks at his job.

I read an interview where Pepper said he left NE because he wanted to get out from always being under Belichick's shaddow.  Maybe Bellichick wanted to move on from Pepper also, I don't know.  I am not saying that Pepper Johnson is an ideal candidate to act as interim head coach if Bowles is fired.  But the thing is, going forward, what do you want to happen?  If Bowles is making these glaring and obvious errors managing the game, then how is he in his other aspects like practice, handling the players, his input on draft day, etc?  Add to that, his serious lack of intensity. How will that affect development of younger players on the team, say, like a Leonard Williams? 

52 minutes ago, Clueless Owner said:

Personally, I was wary of Bowles from the get-go, when his name was being bandied about with Dan Quinn as potential head coach for the Jets.  I remember hearing and reading how "smart" Todd Bowles was as a defensive coordinator for the Cardinals, and for some reason, people were were saying he was a head coaching candidate.  Once he was hired, I was willing and hoping that he would be a smart coach, say in the mode of a Mike Tomlin.  It was just after watching and listening to a few interviews.. that I knew the Jets were in trouble.  When Todd speaks, it's almost like he has a spaciness around him, like he isn't really aware of where he is.  It's that lack of awareness of the present situation.. you can see that in games, when he trying to manage them.  I remember someone was interviewing Bill Parcells, would had Bowles as a position coach in Dallas, what he thought of as Todd Bowles chances as a head coach in New York with the Jets, and his answer was "well.....", and there was silence. 

You are Fuc*ing trolling,  Parcells gave him a good endorsement, WTF are you talking about.

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Peyton Manning.

If Peyton Manning wants to be a Head Coach, I'd fire Todd Bowles tomorrow and make it public that he's got free reign if he joins the Jets. 

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

If Peyton Manning wants to be a Head Coach, I'd fire Todd Bowles tomorrow and make it public that he's got free reign if he joins the Jets. 

Star players in the modern era who made the $$ Manning did do not become head coaches.  Being a head coach is an absolutely brutal grind of a lifestyle.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah but then Archie would tell him to wait to coach another team. 

lol - probably.  It would be par for the course. 

Just now, jetscrazey said:

Star players in the modern era who made the $$ Manning did do not become head coaches.  Being a head coach is an absolutely brutal grind of a lifestyle.

I know...but if he did...I'm doing it.  It's 100% worth a shot.  

Archived