Looking ahead with some optimism!

hokiejetfan92

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:50 AM, Beerfish said:

If you want to see real optimism go to the fan forums of all those teams that were mentioned and see how they feel about having the Jets on their sched, now that is reason for optimism.

100% truth here. This reminds me of trade proposals whereby we send a 7th round pick to Indy for Andrew Luck type of thing, sending our garbage to another team expecting their best player in a fleece of a trade. You do not think Ravens / Browns / Fish fans have our game(s) circled on their schedule as a win for them? I do.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, bitonti said:

fans are acting like Bowles on 4th down is why they lost. it was at Pittsburgh, with no Revis who is from there, they were never going to win that game.

learn your Jets history. They can barely hit a field goal on that grass.  Sometimes it's bigger than Fitz and Bowles. @KC was similarly unwinnable. 

Its like, why do they even travel, play the game, waste everyone's time and risk injury?  They should just cancel the game and make sure everyone is ok for the cupcake games they KNOW they can win.

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

The NFL's blackout rules, while currently suspended, were in effect from 2009 to 2014 and might be re-instituted next season.

Translation:  If 16,000 loyal Jets fans didn't write checks to the Jets for their 48,000 PSL seats, the Jets would black out the games in the region meaning that indeed we PSL owners are paying for you to watch the game in your basement with your smelly dog and your stale pretzels.

SAR I

Thank you.  

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

fans are acting like Bowles on 4th down is why they lost. it was at Pittsburgh, with no Revis who is from there, they were never going to win that game.

learn your Jets history. They can barely hit a field goal on that grass.  Sometimes it's bigger than Fitz and Bowles. @KC was similarly unwinnable. 

Matt I have been reading your posts for years and have a lot of respect for your football acumen, but cannot for the life of me figure out your defense of this dummy who is our current HC. Bowltite is clueless and lost. The team is getting worse week by week instead of better. Do you not see the same boring, predictable, ultra vanilla game plan (or whatever one would call what the Jets do each week) with no chance of even being competitive? I am sorry but going to KC and putting up 3 points and getting absolutely obliterated by a mediocre team at best in inexcusable. You lost 27-24 ok fine, you lost 35-31 ok fine, at least you are competitive The Pittsburgh game, shut out in the second half being totally outcoached. The Seattle game getting pushed around your home field and on and on. This team has no leadership, no identity, no heart and no personality just like their HC.

I want to be positive but the tell tale signs are there that this entire CS is in over their heads and will have to be replaced after yet another losing season.

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yep.  They do it with boxers.  Why not?

I guess they technically cant cancel these completely unwinnable games because of TV contracts and stuff like that.  So maybe the Jets should consider what Popovich does in the NBA and rest all his starters on long road trips.  Granted, he does it vs. bad teams but since Bit is right and there is no fathomable way to win those games we really should consider Pop's strategy just in reverse. 

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

Pittsburgh is a better team but they are not great and this was a winnable game

Bowles is lost

No they are not again where do you come up with this sh*t.
You do not pay for jack sh*t other than the seat you are sitting in and stadium related employees. 
TV money comes from advertisers and the network the game is on.
Dont own a dog,basement doesn't smell and dont eat stale pretzels.  
Sit down shut up in your game day argyle,khaki's,underoo's,hush puppies and your man bag packed with hand warmers,throat drops and purell wipes and enjoy the game. 

SAR owns a man bag?

23 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Unfortunately the jets had plenty of opportunities to draft a franchise guy or trade fo a respectable starter, all while paying less than 12 million. 

I've not had a problem with big Macc until the Fitz signing. The Wilk signing wasn't met with negativity given that he's a fan favorite, even to those who felt before the signing that the price was way too high. Now we have three great DT's which means nothing because we don't have any edge rushers to push the qb back into the pocket. 

Those were two bad signings. Maybe Revis needs to move to safety

We do? We give up 28 points a game and these guys are great? They are legends in their own minds I guess. I think they all stink and are only in this for the $$

19 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

We do? We give up 28 points a game and these guys are great? They are legends in their own minds I guess. I think they all stink and are only in this for the $$

Yes, they're great. The problem is that #1. We don't have edge rushers to push the QB's back into the pocket into the DT's. 2nd, these DT's are playing out of position. Wilk is playing outside DE, Richardson is playing a mix between outside DE and OLB. 

These guys are defensive tackles, not rushing defensive ends and not outside linebackers. Even when they're playing their position they're controlling the LOS and the rushing game, but they're not a rushing DE/OLB that can rush the edge and collapse the pocket during passing downs.

They are great DT's, no matter what the points are. That doesn't mean that I agreed with resigning Wilk to that ridiculous contract after just drafting Williams and already having Richardson. 

All the jets did was rack up on a strength while still not creating impact because our problem is the pass rush, not the run stop. 

20 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yes, they're great. The problem is that #1. We don't have edge rushers to push the QB's back into the pocket into the DT's. 2nd, these DT's are playing out of position. Wilk is playing outside DE, Richardson is playing a mix between outside DE and OLB. 

These guys are defensive tackles, not rushing defensive ends and not outside linebackers. Even when they're playing their position they're controlling the LOS and the rushing game, but they're not a rushing DE/OLB that can rush the edge and collapse the pocket during passing downs.

They are great DT's, no matter what the points are. That doesn't mean that I agreed with resigning Wilk to that ridiculous contract after just drafting Williams and already having Richardson. 

All the jets did was rack up on a strength while still not creating impact because our problem is the pass rush, not the run stop. 

I think it is a mix of both, I agree that they are great players and the points you list as to why they are not producing are valid.  The jets organization can't decide how they want to proceed and it;s hurting the dline.

Having said that they are also personally underachieving and seem to be checking out of games as soon as things go awry.

Just now, Beerfish said:

I think it is a mix of both, I agree that they are great players and the points you list as to why they are not producing are valid.  The jets organization can't decide how they want to proceed and it;s hurting the dline.

Having said that they are also personally underachieving and seem to be checking out of games as soon as things go awry.

I agree. I would conclude that the underachieving can in someway me pointed to the construction on the team. Why is Wilk playing a pass rushing DE and why is Sheldon playing any type of linebacker position?

These guys can't feed off of another position and can't really feed off themselves because if you don't play two of the 3 out of position then you can't get them all on the field at the same time. 

We should have traded Wilk

We should have made a clear decision on what kind of defense we were going to play, D coaches and ours is one of them think they as coaches can outsmart other teams but they outsmart themselves.  Not only that they make it very hard on the GM's to build a team because they want to 'play a hybrid system'.

I had called for the Jets to go to a 4-3 Defense a few years back because their dline personal was becoming more suited to that and we never had any OLB's which are a key to a successful 3-4.

Our Gm promptly drafts two 3-4 olbs in Mauldin and Jenkins and a3-4 ilb in Lee and the coach decides we are now going to play mostly 4-3 because of Richardson.

The Jets need to make up their mind what their system is instead of wasting talent on the sidelines because the D coaches think they are smarter than everyone else.

On 10/12/2016 at 1:43 AM, hokiejetfan92 said:

While I will admit I was being a little facetious in the first post, I think the season may not be entirely over yet. The major storyline from our 4 losses to former playoff teams is we can't hang with the big boys, but if we are truly a middle of the pack team then we should have a decent chance to win at least 4 of the next 5. I am not saying they will, but the schedule gives the Jets a little bit of hope.

They really need to beat the Cards this week so they have the ability to drop one of the four games after ARZ and still be alive. And they should be favorites/pick em for the four games after Zona.

It does suck rooting for a potential wild card team, but this is what we signed up for when we signed a FA 33 year old journeyman QB to a 1 year deal on what was supposed to be a solid roster otherwise. I am frustrated and angry about how poor this team has looked, but I don't think it is time to completely give up on the season.

The season IS over.  You don't think a quality QB like Flacco will beat us.  Bruce Arians at home?  NE whenever they want?  Season is over.

On 10/12/2016 at 10:23 AM, Big Blocker said:

The problem with being too cynical at this point of the season about the Jets' chances is we simply do not know how well this roster could/would do down the stretch and, if they made it, in the playoffs.  I would be equally skeptical as some here if I thought the talent level was, and will remain, as low as the results so far might be indicating.  But I am not convinced the problems are essentially irreparable. 

After all teams can and do turn it around over the course of the season, or conversely turn to crap after a good start.  For the former look at the Chiefs last year.  It happens.

It's just too early to completely throw in the towel.

I would ordinarily agree but i have aparticularly bad feeling about this group

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

agreed. I said it first thing on the gameday post too.  they never win there.

53 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I would ordinarily agree but i have aparticularly bad feeling about this group

I don't feel great, either.  But there's noting wrong with taking a we'll see approach here.

Before the season I thought the Cards in Phoenix looked like the toughest game on the schedule, even more than the Pitt game.  But not so much now.  We'll see.  Works for me.  Until it doesn't.  heh.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yes they are playing somewhat out of position. Here is what I do not understand:  in the last 4 games, not one of these stud players has made a play that shows us why they are All Pro.  I would expect at least a few of these plays in a game.  They have been faceless blobs, for the most part.

4 hours ago, jack48 said:

Yes they are playing somewhat out of position. Here is what I do not understand:  in the last 4 games, not one of these stud players has made a play that shows us why they are All Pro.  I would expect at least a few of these plays in a game.  They have been faceless blobs, for the most part.

Not sure about you but I think big cat is playing at a probowl level right now. 

13 hours ago, jack48 said:

The season IS over.  You don't think a quality QB like Flacco will beat us.  Bruce Arians at home?  NE whenever they want?  Season is over.

I mean it isn't really. I find that on the message boards the fans reactions to the jets results is always way over the top. Sar kinda hit it earlier, when we went 10-6 last year the fan base should have been more cautious and not blinded by 10 wins when you looked at the team. Leonard Williams & Enunwa were the only young up and coming starters that actually had room to improve from last year.

Marshall and Decker got older. Marshall hit age 32, an age where WR production almost always drops dramatically. Fitzy wasn't gonna improve in Gailey's offense at this point, we lost depth on our D-line and Revis got old with no #2 CB in the team.

This combined with our 2nd place schedule (Chiefs and Colts), AFC North and NFC west, we were gonna have to play great football to get 10 wins. All four of our losses came against teams that should win at least 8 games. We didn't get beat up or embarrassed by any scrub team.

Given what the jets have done this year you cannot expect them to win any particular game right now, but the Ravens offense has looked terrible this year. Flacco is more clutch than good, we are home for that game. I think Arizona isn't the same and Palmer hasn't fully rebounded from his awful postseason last year/ does the team believe in him? All I can say about NE is hopefully the jets are playing better when we play them. We somehow beat zona and Baltimore, then we have three cupcake games. I'm just saying give it one more week!

2 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

I mean it isn't really. I find that on the message boards the fans reactions to the jets results is always way over the top. Sar kinda hit it earlier, when we went 10-6 last year the fan base should have been more cautious and not blinded by 10 wins when you looked at the team. Leonard Williams & Enunwa were the only young up and coming starters that actually had room to improve from last year.

Marshall and Decker got older. Marshall hit age 32, an age where WR production almost always drops dramatically. Fitzy wasn't gonna improve in Gailey's offense at this point, we lost depth on our D-line and Revis got old with no #2 CB in the team.

This combined with our 2nd place schedule (Chiefs and Colts), AFC North and NFC west, we were gonna have to play great football to get 10 wins. All four of our losses came against teams that should win at least 8 games. We didn't get beat up or embarrassed by any scrub team.

Given what the jets have done this year you cannot expect them to win any particular game right now, but the Ravens offense has looked terrible this year. Flacco is more clutch than good, we are home for that game. I think Arizona isn't the same and Palmer hasn't fully rebounded from his awful postseason last year/ does the team believe in him? All I can say about NE is hopefully the jets are playing better when we play them. We somehow beat zona and Baltimore, then we have three cupcake games. I'm just saying give it one more week!

I am usually an optimist.  I was against re signing Fitz and I think the chickens are coming home to roost.  A QB can smooth over a lot of unevenness.

Archived