How Christian Hackenberg is spending invisible season with Jets

Gas2No99

How Christian Hackenberg is spending invisible season with Jets

jetshack.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&

Christian Hackenberg (5) with Nick Mangold and Ryan Fitzpatrick at a Jets practice

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Christian Hackenberg is getting to know the sideline.

For the first time in his life, the Jets rookie quarterback is a backup. Hackenberg said he’s always been a starter in any sport he’s played, including three years of football at Penn State. But the Jets’ plan this year is clear – let him sit and watch. He’s the fourth quarterback in a room of four quarterbacks.

“It’s hard,” Hackenberg said this week. “Obviously, the competitor in you wants to go out and play. Because it is the situation, you’ve got two ways you can handle it: You can sit, pout and mope, or take the positive opportunities out of it and focus on those. I think that’s what I’m really trying to do.”

Hackenberg is trying to embrace this learning opportunity. He gets practice reps with the scout team, mimicking that week’s opponent and then studies what starter Ryan Fitzpatrick is doing.

“This is the first time in any sport I’ve been able to do this,” Hackenberg said. “I think it’s good to be able to sit back and learn and understand that when I do have my opportunity I’m going to be as prepared as possible. It’s not going to be one of those things where I’m thrown into the fire – sink or swim – and as you go, you learn. I can sit back and learn as much as I can. I’m not going to say that when I get out there it’s going to be perfect. There are things you need to be able to go out and do it. But I’m just learning the process of going through an NFL season, practicing, being in the locker room, being in the film room. I think it’s pretty cool to be able to take that in.”

The Jets drafted Hackenberg in the second round – the 51st pick overall – in April. He was a polarizing pick among draft gurus. Some saw the talent that made him the No. 1 high school quarterback in America as a senior and the skill he showed as a freshman at Penn State under Bill O’Brien. Others concentrated on the flaws that showed up in his sophomore and junior years under James Franklin when he played behind a weak offensive line and looked miscast in the offense.

While rookie quarterbacks are all the rage in the NFL right now, the Jets have no plans to play theirs. In fact, if Hackenberg ends up playing this year, something went really, really wrong with the Jets. Even if the Jets decide to bench Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith is next in line. Then Bryce Petty is the quarterback they would turn to if they feel 2016 is a lost season and they need to look to the future.

Petty returned to practice this week after suffering a shoulder injury at the end of the preseason. Petty’s absence led to more chances for Hackenberg in practice.

“I think the more throws he can get, the better,” coach Todd Bowles said.

Now, he will be splitting those reps with Petty and Smith. Hackenberg said it has been valuable to learn opponents’ offenses, apply it to the Jets’ system, and to face the Jets’ starting defense.

“To go out and get the reps against a live defense is awesome,” Hackenberg said. “Even though you’re reading [opponents’ plays] off a card, you can try to relate that to some concepts you have. I think those are the two positives you can take form it.”

Hackenberg also has gained something by watching the veteran Fitzpatrick work.

“He’s been awesome,” Hackenberg said. “He’s helped me out in so many ways. It’s not just football. Going through a practice week, how you prepare, how you talk to a Brandon Marshall, how you talk to those guys, how you get points across. I think just sitting back and being able to observe those situations and conversations is really cool for me.”

I like the kid's absorbent attitude and mentality. He admits, himself, that it's the first time he's NOT the starter and he can really take the time to learn the "mental" facet of the position in a Redshirt year; as well as letting his body HEAL from all those hits his Sophomore & Junior years at PSU.  I don't think he even intended that veiled shot at Geno in regards about "pouting and moping" if you're not getting reps. Furthermore, you see the value of a seasoned veteran QB in that it serves Hack an example to emulate in the dealing with various competitive personalities a QB may have to balance, and not always appease, to maintain offensive and team cohesion.  Hackenberg just may have a shot to succeed in this league if we groom him along accordingly. :)

Now Pay attention young fellow . If you look outside and the safety is not shading towards Marshall's side, give him the signal and throw the ball to his back shoulder .  

Petty : Even if he's 2 yards ahead of the CB ?

Fitzy : Now see Hack, that right there is why he's still third string .

50 minutes ago, CaliforniaJet said:

He is learning from Fitz? 

38 minutes ago, hawk said:

Just because Fitz isn't physically able to play QB in the NFL doesn't mean he doesn't know how to play or more importantly teach.

There is DO & DO NOT. Those who DO NOT, TEACH.:)

I think that old proverb was said by this guy:

training-to-failure.jpg

43 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

It's not his attitude that people don't like, because his approach is fantastic, it's his ability to play the quarterback position from a tangible perspective that leaves one cause for concern. 

It's a fantastic approach if you're looking to ingratiate yourself to Jets fans. Don't play because you suck. Brag about not pouting about it. Sell jocks on ebay. Profit.

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

It's not his attitude that people don't like, because his approach is fantastic, it's his ability to play the quarterback position from a tangible perspective that leaves one cause for concern. 

Bingo. 

The OP says "absorbent attitude."  Fancy word, but what does that even mean?!?!  There have been many try hard, study lotsa film guys that fail at QB in the NFL.  They "soaked up" plenty of information too I am sure.  You know what they all have in common? Poor decision making.  Inconsistent accuracy.  Hack fits right in with that group.

Forget Hack.  The only thing that matters in 2016 is if Petty can play or not. 

1 hour ago, hawk said:

Just because Fitz isn't physically able to play QB in the NFL doesn't mean he doesn't know how to play or more importantly teach.

This "learning from a mentor" stuff is so overstated.  The really good ones probably don't learn a whole lot from other players.  Can they learn a trick or two?  Sure....  But 98% is that the individual must be a good football player to begin with.  

Landry Jones sure looks like he learned an awful lot from Ben Roethlisberger.   (eye roll) :roll:

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This "learning from a mentor" stuff is so overstated.  The really good ones probably don't learn a whole lot from other players.  Can they learn a trick or two?  Sure....  But 98% is that the individual must be a good football player to begin with.   

The way I took it was more about a day in the life of QB, and more so, about the process of preparation and dealing with different personalities.  

4 minutes ago, hawk said:

The way I took it was more about a day in the life of QB, and more so, about the process of preparation and dealing with different personalities.  

A different interpretation, and certainly reasonable.   But my retort is still the same.  Preparation is only relevant at the QB position if someone is good to begin with.  That means making good decisions, and accurately delivering the ball on time.  Something Hack clearly failed to do at the college level.  The windows are much smaller in the NFL.  I don't think any amount of preparation matters if you can't do those two things when under pressure.  Hack failed miserably often even with a clean pocket.

Archived