What would it take?

Cap'nObvious

Hey everyone, first post here. Been reading all day and last night, I see a lot of people screaming for Geno. I get the desire for change, and I want it too. That said, I want to ask what everyone thinks it would take from Geno starting the rest of the way to justify keeping Geno? The way I see it, if Geno actually does very good, the only way to keep him would be to tag him. So in 10 games, what does it take? 20TD's < 10 int's, 6-4 record or better? Does that justify the tag? 

Just now, RSJ said:

I am torn on if he should even get the start or if you cut him and go right to Petty.

This is kind of what I am wondering here, I am asking what it would take to have Geno be on the roster next year. This season is completely over, so what is the gain by starting him? Unless you think there is even a reasonable chance he is with the team next year, what do you gain? So you have to ask, can Geno put up those type of numbers? I think the team is severely flawed, and the offensive talent is way overrated. If you don't think there is at least a 25% chance of Geno being on the roster this year, why play him and complicate things even more? When Petty is ready, do it, if he is ready this week, do it, if not, wait until he is, JMO

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Big Geno supporter here I say 1 game audition this Sunday vs the Ravens do or die thats it this organization needs to move forward with or without him. 

Just out of curiosity, if you are a big Geno supporter, why just a one game audition? I would think if you were a big supporter, you would want to see him get several games as an audition, no?

1 minute ago, Cap'nObvious said:

Just out of curiosity, if you are a big Geno supporter, why just a one game audition? I would think if you were a big supporter, you would want to see him get several games as an audition, no?

Nope put up or shut up this team needs to move forward with the rookies Petty and Hack if Geno cant get the job done. 

1 minute ago, Cap'nObvious said:

This is kind of what I am wondering here, I am asking what it would take to have Geno be on the roster next year. This season is completely over, so what is the gain by starting him? Unless you think there is even a reasonable chance he is with the team next year, what do you gain? So you have to ask, can Geno put up those type of numbers? I think the team is severely flawed, and the offensive talent is way overrated. If you don't think there is at least a 25% chance of Geno being on the roster this year, why play him and complicate things even more? When Petty is ready, do it, if he is ready this week, do it, if not, wait until he is, JMO

Yeah it's an excellent question. If Geno comes in and does reasonably well against a weak schedule, the idiot owner and some fans will be like "see should have started from day one" and they will be asking for the head coach to be fired. There is really nothing to be gained by starting Geno.

Just now, RSJ said:

Yeah it's an excellent question. If Geno comes in and does reasonably well against a weak schedule, the idiot owner and some fans will be like "see should have started from day one" and they will be asking for the head coach to be fired. There is really nothing to be gained by starting Geno.

Set him free like many other draft picks we lead the league in 1st round busts I'm sure and probably 2nd round busts also its the main reason we are 1-5 today. 

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yeah, the reality is there is a wide range of possible outcomes for Geno getting the next 10 games, from totally sucking to looking very good, and everything in between. If you look at the different possibilities, and try to figure out the most likely, you really need to think about what each of those scenarios do for you. Hopefully the F.O. and coaching staff sees it that way.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No the rookies finish out the season split games whatever we need to find a QB 

I think everything we do right now should be about what is best for next year and beyond. Giving Geno one game IMO does not help at all. He has had good games before, and he has had bad games before. Only reason to put Geno in at all is if you really want to evaluate him to try to keep him next year. In that case, you need to be willing to give him at least 4 games IMO. If your only willing to give him one game, why bother?

Just now, Cap'nObvious said:

Yeah, the reality is there is a wide range of possible outcomes for Geno getting the next 10 games, from totally sucking to looking very good, and everything in between. If you look at the different possibilities, and try to figure out the most likely, you really need to think about what each of those scenarios do for you. Hopefully the F.O. and coaching staff sees it that way.

This is why Bowles said Fitz is still the starter - but opened up the possibility he isn't last night. Because it's a tough call. What if he goes to Geno who sucks, then goes to Petty who sucks? Its better to just wait until the right time and release Geno to go right for Petty. This way if Petty does suck you can just say you are preparing for the future and even go to Hack. Its a big time tough decision. 

Just now, RSJ said:

This is why Bowles said Fitz is still the starter - but opened up the possibility he isn't last night. Because it's a tough call. What if he goes to Geno who sucks, then goes to Petty who sucks? Its better to just wait until the right time and release Geno to go right for Petty. This way if Petty does suck you can just say you are preparing for the future and even go to Hack. Its a big time tough decision. 

Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles arent smart enough to solve the Jets QB problems lets finish out the season and fire them both and get some real football people in here to fix this mess once and for all. 

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He was a 2nd rounder so there was no 5th year option. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think 2nd round picks get that 5th year option. It was denied on Milliner but picked up on Richardson.

Ya know, that's what I thought, then I heard they declined it. Which apparently I heard wrong, because I can't find it anywhere. May have been bunched up with Milliner's fifth year option and I read it wrong. Apologies Gents

Just now, RSJ said:

I agree, fans are emotional, and I get that, but these guys are making difficult decisions and need to take the motion out of it. They need to do what is best for this team for the future, not to try to make some fans happy by getting back at Fitzpatrick and benching him. If benching him makes the most sense for the future, do it, by all means, I don't want to watch one more down of his, but lets do the right thing for the right reasons, not to appease the emo fans.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles arent smart enough to solve the Jets QB problems lets finish out the season and fire them both and get some real football people in here to fix this mess once and for all. 

Yeah idk about that. Bowles and Mac deserve 4 years, or at the least 3. This wasn't an easy rebuild and I think overall they are doing a good job.

Just now, Cap'nObvious said:

I agree, fans are emotional, and I get that, but these guys are making difficult decisions and need to take the motion out of it. They need to do what is best for this team for the future, not to try to make some fans happy by getting back at Fitzpatrick and benching him. If benching him makes the most sense for the future, do it, by all means, I don't want to watch one more down of his, but lets do the right thing for the right reasons, not to appease the emo fans.

Or the players I'm sick and tired of hearing Fitzpatrick say the guys in the locker room still support me hes reaching for straws hes done here 

1 minute ago, BroadwayJets said:

Ya know, that's what I thought, then I heard they declined it. Which apparently I heard wrong, because I can't find it anywhere. May have been bunched up with Milliner's fifth year option and I read it wrong. Apologies Gents

I think if there was an option they would have declined it, based on the pattern of how this front office has handled this particular player.

Geno wouldn't sign an extension here if he plays well. He'll go capitalize on the market. Best thing we can do is start him vs a sh*tty defense, let him stat, and then trade him for a 5th rounder if we're lucky. No way he resigns here, and no way it'll be cheap, if he shows something. 

Let him be someone else's Brock Osweiller. 

During last nights game Gruden said that Bowles told McDonough and Gruden that there's a very good reason Jets carry 4 QBs but he can't say yet. I think it's because once they make a change, it will be to Petty, not Geno. Geno is here incase they made a playoff run and needed to spell Fitz during a short window. Petty and Hack are here to develop for the future. Geno has no part of the Jets future. That's my guess.

4 minutes ago, RSJ said:

During last nights game Gruden said that Bowles told McDonough and Gruden that there's a very good reason Jets carry 4 QBs but he can't say yet. I think it's because once they make a change, it will be to Petty, not Geno. Geno is here incase they made a playoff run and needed to spell Fitz during a short window. Petty and Hack are here to develop for the future. Geno has no part of the Jets future. That's my guess.

That is what I thought as well. They will probably go to Petty and just let Geno rot on the bench until they cut him.

Thank you.

Someone who gets it

Sent from mTalk

1 minute ago, ASH1962 said:

me-2, he looked like the same Geno last night that we had seen for 2 years prior

Agreed. Fumble in the pocket and an Int on a hitch route he shouldnt have thrown summarizes Geno's time in the NFL perfectly and he did both on his only drive. It will be Fitz this week and if they dont win, it will be Petty or Hack after.

23 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

I am 110% in favor of tagging Geno. The only question is whether to go with a left hook or an uppercut with the right hand.

I was going to counter with 'toe' but thought that might be a bit too unclassy and in bad taste.....wait....wut?

Archived