Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

SMC

58 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Meh. Everyone's a tough guy until they get bitch smacked by Charles Oakley.

Who did Oak punch, or bitch slap lol, for not paying up on a loan? Don't remember.

Pretty sure Oak and Barkley had plenty of words too, lol

The good ol' days in the NBA, word

I liked Oakley too. Used to see him at one of his car wash's up in the Bx.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Here's a good one: Who would you be least likely to **** with in their primes? Tyson or Oakley? I've always said Oakley. 80s/early 90s Tyson is knocking me out with one punch, and then I'll wake up a few days later and live on. I feel like Oakley in the 90s legit killed a person or two with his bare hands at some point.

42 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Here's a good one: Who would you be least likely to **** with in their primes? Tyson or Oakley? I've always said Oakley. 80s/early 90s Tyson is knocking me out with one punch, and then I'll wake up a few days later and live on. I feel like Oakley in the 90s legit killed a person or two with his bare hands at some point.

Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason with Patrick Ewing right behind them were some intimidating dudes back in tha daypatrick-ewing-charles-oakley-greg-anthon.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, thadude said:

I know people who met Barkley in real life they all say he's a rude asswipe.

On the contrary, everyone I know who has met Lebron and Melo says they are good dudes.

I have a buddy that works for the Pacers and he has met every single relevant guy that has existed for the past 10 years. Verdict on those two is Lebron is as professional a guy you'll ever encounter and Melo is as laid back in the same way. Both are always willing to stop and chat with people.

He swears that the nicest guy he's met and dealt with is Artest, ironically enough.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I have a buddy that works for the Pacers and he has met every single relevant guy that has existed for the past 10 years. Verdict on those two is Lebron is as professional a guy you'll ever encounter and Melo is as laid back in the same way. Both are always willing to stop and chat with people.

He swears that the nicest guy he's met and dealt with is Artest, ironically enough.

Artest is a nice guy.  Just don't start a fight with him and/or throw beer on him and you'll be good. 

The ironic thing is the 80's/90's is perceived as the golden age of the NBA and it probably was but everything I've seen and heard from friends who have relatives who work in the NBA or women I knew who dated those players did not have anything nice to say about the players from that era:

Jordan - total @$$hole

Magic - not a nice guy in real life, won't sign autographs, were happy he got AIDS

Ewing - see Jordan, has mellowed out after retiring however

Bird - has the personality of a cement wall

Pippen - bartenders and waiters nicknamed him no Tippin' Pippen

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, thadude said:

Artest is a nice guy.  Just don't start a fight with him and/or throw beer on him and you'll be good. 

The ironic thing is the 80's/90's is perceived as the golden age of the NBA and it probably was but everything I've seen and heard from friends who have relatives who work in the NBA or women I knew who dated those players did not have anything nice to say about the players from that era:

Jordan - total @$$hole

Magic - not a nice guy in real life, won't sign autographs, were happy he got AIDS

Ewing - see Jordan, has mellowed out after retiring however

Bird - has the personality of a cement wall

Pippen - bartenders and waiters nicknamed him no Tippin' Pippen

The Pippen thing is 100% true. He frequents Boca where once upon a time I was a server and the stories from valets and servers that dealt with that guy were horrific. Condescending a$$hole that frequently stiffed people.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Oakley is straight up a black Jason Voorhees. He was 6'9" 250lbs. Tyson was 5'11 217lbs.

Tyson would knock you out but Oakley would rip your limbs off and cook your remains.

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Melo is a real nice guy.  Problem is that going out having drinks and being nice to fans and the staff doesn't help win games.  

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Windhorst has been pretty adamant the past few days about a Cavs/Melo deal not being dead just yet.

Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks.

It's a shame the Knicks couldn't do anything with Melo. When we got him, I was over the moon with optimism... at this point, it's better for him to be traded and for fans to hope we don't embarrass ourselves in the exchange. 

Sigh.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Windhorst has been pretty adamant the past few days about a Cavs/Melo deal not being dead just yet.

Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks.

Of course it isn't because LeBron is pushing for the trade.  What's interesting is that this is now Phil vs. LeBron behind the scenes.  According to Tommy Dee, Lebron is the one leaking about the Cavs not wanting to give up Love.  Dee also says that it is the Cavs calling the Knicks and the Knicks insisting on a bigger package for Melo.  That's why we hear talk about a 3rd team.

Poison Peter Vescey are saying that Ainge wants Love and is behind the Knicks insisting to the Cavs that Love has to be in any deal for Melo.

The problem is that, besides the Willy trade, Phil has lost every trade he's made as the head of the Knicks.  Hard to think he'll do right in this one.

Stay tuned.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

It's a shame the Knicks couldn't do anything with Melo. When we got him, I was over the moon with optimism... at this point, it's better for him to be traded and for fans to hope we don't embarrass ourselves in the exchange. 

Sigh.

Completely agree.  I was all for the trade and still don't think the Knicks gave up a lot.  He was going to Nets if Knicks didn't make the trade because he wanted the extension with the lockout coming (people forget that there was talks at the time that any new CBA would not allow any sign-and-trades and any extensions would be 30% less than under the then-current CBA).

The problem really was, although he was a good signing, Amnestying Billups in order to sign Chandler.  Knicks should've held on to Billups for extra year and then let him walk and amnesty Amare in order to sign Chris Paul.

21 minutes ago, SMC said:

Lastly, while the Knicks are 2 loses back of the 8th playoff seed, they are 2 loses back from being 5th in the lottery.

Also, Celtics are 3 loses back from the Cavs for the top playoff seed in the East.

Is it a good year to have a lottery pick? I don't follow NBA/NCAA hoops close like I do football.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Sigh.

Completely agree. And when we got him they were looking good with the Felton/Amare combo too. Then that all fell apart and the Knicks never really grasped the type of player that he was, a guy that was fully capable of being one of the best second bananas for a franchise. Whenever they paired him with a vet that could play the alpha like Denver did with Billups and the Knicks did with Kidd his teams thrived and won playoff series. Building the team around him and embedding in his head that he was the franchise was just a terrible idea, because he has always been the type of guy that would call his own number if teammates didn't shut that down quick.

The real screw-up was not trading him in that last season before the extension was given. The Knicks could have easily worked something out that year and for some bizarre reason decided to keep on pressing with this notion that they could build a team around him with free agents and no draft picks. Now he's too old and the PR damage has been done. Just another mess in what has been almost 20 straight years of messes.

The sad part is this team is clearly ready to move on and build around the younger bigs that they have, who are quite good. If they can hit on a couple more draft picks they have some solid pieces to be competitive once Lebron falls victim to father time, rendering the East wide open. Going forward, every win with Melo only hurts that. He needs to go, really badly. If they can swing anything of value in exchange that's great, but at this point it's addition by subtraction.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Lastly, while the Knicks are 2 loses back of the 8th playoff seed, they are 2 loses back from being 5th in the lottery.

Also, Celtics are 3 loses back from the Cavs for the top playoff seed in the East.

The Celtics make so much god damn sense for him and them. They are one scorer away from being on par with Cleveland. Not to mention that they're going to have to pay both Thomas and Bradley in a few years.

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Celtics make so much god damn sense for him and them. They are one scorer away from being on par with Cleveland. Not to mention that they're going to have to pay both Thomas and Bradley in a few years.

Yea, I'd agree. I don't mind the Celtics, and I'm a Brad Stevens fan, so I don't turn off the radio when they about them up here. The way he runs that team, and the way Ainge has constructed it, I see Melo as a complementary part - not the centerpiece. Which I think aligns with your comments above.

I don't hate Melo as a player, so it'll be good to see him traded - have it help the Knicks and the Celtics both. Since we root for both in my household.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The closer the Celtics and Cavs get, the more pressure there is on Ainge to make a deal to "put them over the top."  There is no one available of Melo's scoring caliber.

That's why I think the Celtics or Cavs are going to blink and give the Knicks premium assets.  Celtics get Melo and get to the Finals, who cares what the Nets' pick is.  Again, I harken back to the Cubs.  Theo gave up a lot for Chapman, but he did it to chase the ring.

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Never liked him. Was disappointed when he came here. Don't blame him tho for the continued mess. The sooner he's a  goner the better

It's hard to build a team around a high volume, long two point shooter that doesnt shoot it like Michael Jordan did. Especially when he isnt really good at anything else. Like 6 coaches and a million lineups later the Knicks still suck.

9 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

Anthony would be a good 6th man with the Cavs.  All he knows how to do is shoot.  Would provide spark off the bench.  Only question is, will his ego permit it?

But I am not a big Love fan either.  I would like to see a player here with a more grit.  Don't think Love has it.

Yep. A scoring lift off the bench and relief for James..... And get a break himself. He's certainly better than JR Smith. But now that he attempts to play D, sometimes, he can't. His footwork just isn't there for that

James could contain Smith somewhat. Anthony is a risky proposition and could change the chemistry for the worse. Who knows what James wants?

13 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yep. A scoring lift off the bench and relief for James..... And get a break himself. He's certainly better than JR Smith. But now that he attempts to play D, sometimes, he can't. His footwork just isn't there for that

James could contain Smith somewhat. Anthony is a risky proposition and could change the chemistry for the worse. Who knows what James wants?

To your point, I don't think Anthony has improved the chemistry anywhere.

I really want to make the playoffs this year.  We are 2 games out of the 8th seed in the loss column today.

The season is not over.  I think if we get rid of Anthony and improve the chemistry we have a shot.

The ball movement when he is not on the court is so much better.