Browns Browns acquired LB Jamie Collins from the Patriots for a compensatory third-round pick. Related: Patriots Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Oct 31 - 12:32 PM

Gas2No99

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 4:26 PM, ljr said:

Charlie Joiner was the other great WR ... Believe Chuck Muncie of the taped glasses was tearing it up for them At RB back then too!

Do not forget about Wes Chandler who was also a wide out during the air Coryell days...I believe he replaced John Jefferson....

18 hours ago, dcJet said:

Bellicheat at his next practice...

"Any one else want to go to Cleveland?"

This. 

The compensation was very little relative to the player.  This was a message to the team, and obviously the message was worth the difference in compensation for the player.  I'd love to laugh and point at the Pats for getting so little back, but fact is they do stuff like this all the time and never seem to skip a beat. 

5 hours ago, Snell41 said:

This. 

The compensation was very little relative to the player.  This was a message to the team, and obviously the message was worth the difference in compensation for the player.  I'd love to laugh and point at the Pats for getting so little back, but fact is they do stuff like this all the time and never seem to skip a beat. 

Yeah, but........

He is at worst an 8 game rental for the Browns.  For a team that is picking in the top 2-3 of each round, is an 8 game rental worth the 33-36th pick or 65th-68th?  No.  Maybe, for a Superbowl contender, but not the Browns.  Now, the Browns have 8 games to try and sell the Browns on Collins otherwise it costs them only a 97+ pick.

Plus, while I think the trade of Collins is sending the team a message, it is also (IMHO) trying to boost Brady's remaining time.  Jones and Collins were unlikely to return and their compensation would not be useful until 2018 draft.  Now, they have a 2nd and 3rd/4th next year.  Plus, 49 million in available cap space (hopefully) to extend Hightower and Butler. 

I think this team was built with the intent to ride Brady to the point he was declining while still having some value, roughly 2016, but he is not human....or is using real good avocado ice cream.

For the Browns playing Money Ball and not expecting to be competitive to 2019 at earliest, I hope they expect Collins to resign (for large money) and stay effective.

For the Patriots, its the ultimate in brilliance or hubris.  Collins is a good player who increases your odds of winning a SB, and who was motivated this year.  He leaves as a FA and you get a compensatory pick in 2018.  If they do not win the SB and it can be pointed to the defense, if I am a NEP I am p*****ed off.

22 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but........

He is at worst an 8 game rental for the Browns.  For a team that is picking in the top 2-3 of each round, is an 8 game rental worth the 33-36th pick or 65th-68th?  No.  Maybe, for a Superbowl contender, but not the Browns.  Now, the Browns have 8 games to try and sell the Browns on Collins otherwise it costs them only a 97+ pick.

Plus, while I think the trade of Collins is sending the team a message, it is also (IMHO) trying to boost Brady's remaining time.  Jones and Collins were unlikely to return and their compensation would not be useful until 2018 draft.  Now, they have a 2nd and 3rd/4th next year.  Plus, 49 million in available cap space (hopefully) to extend Hightower and Butler. 

I think this team was built with the intent to ride Brady to the point he was declining while still having some value, roughly 2016, but he is not human....or is using real good avocado ice cream.

Wait, so trading away Jones and Collins for future non-1st-round picks....is aligning with Brady's immediate to short term interests of competing for another championship?

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Wait, so trading away Jones and Collins for future non-1st-round picks....is aligning with Brady's immediate to short term interests of competing for another championship?

Forest....trees.

Collins is a freakish athlete and made plays, but he is not Lawrence Taylor. 

The Patriots are 7-1 without Jones and with Collins missing a game.  They are 5th in points allowed.  That is not all due to Collins.  He played a role (or not).  He has games like Houston where he is a beast and others were you do not remember him.

The pick they received for Jones was flipped for two other picks.  One of which is there starting LG (Thuney).  Sheard, Cannon, Vollmer, Long, Branch, Hightower, Blount, Develin, Ryan and Harmon are free agents after this year.  Butler is a RFA.  That is ten significant players they need to replace and one that needs to get paid.  Jones' trade  has already provided the Patriots benefits.  Next year, the compensation for Collins will help plug one of the hole one of those players will leave.

Plus, short of a Brady injury, how are they not competing for a championship?  Who is the scary team?  Denver has a legit D, but is that offense scary?  No.  The same with Seattle who is having Marshawn withdrawals.  Minnesota?  Oakland?  Dallas?  KC?    The Patriots are not a lock for a championship they could lose to any of those teams, but there is no alltime teams they need to beat.  As long as the offense is healthy, the road to the Superbowl goes through Foxboro and they will have a say in who wins.

14 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Forest....trees.

Collins is a freakish athlete and made plays, but he is not Lawrence Taylor. 

The Patriots are 7-1 without Jones and with Collins missing a game.  They are 5th in points allowed.  That is not all due to Collins.  He played a role (or not).  He has games like Houston where he is a beast and others were you do not remember him.

The pick they received for Jones was flipped for two other picks.  One of which is there starting LG (Thuney).  Sheard, Cannon, Vollmer, Long, Branch, Hightower, Blount, Develin, Ryan and Harmon are free agents after this year.  Butler is a RFA.  That is ten significant players they need to replace and one that needs to get paid.  Jones' trade  has already provided the Patriots benefits.  Next year, the compensation for Collins will help plug one of the hole one of those players will leave.

Plus, short of a Brady injury, how are they not competing for a championship?  Who is the scary team?  Denver has a legit D, but is that offense scary?  No.  The same with Seattle who is having Marshawn withdrawals.  Minnesota?  Oakland?  Dallas?  KC?    The Patriots are not a lock for a championship they could lose to any of those teams, but there is no alltime teams they need to beat.  As long as the offense is healthy, the road to the Superbowl goes through Foxboro and they will have a say in who wins.

Justify it any way you want....bottom line, trading away current assets for future potential assets =/= current income. I'm not arguing whether it was a good or bad trade; just arguing what you said here:

"Plus, while I think the trade of Collins is sending the team a message, it is also (IMHO) trying to boost Brady's remaining time."

And starting a post with "forrest...trees." and then rambling on about whatever you rambled on about is not how one internets. 

18 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but........

The Browns have a boatload of cap room. Collins move was made because he's apart of there future. If they can't re-sign him, they'll just franchise tag him.

Archived