Browns Browns acquired LB Jamie Collins from the Patriots for a compensatory third-round pick. Related: Patriots Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Oct 31 - 12:32 PM

Gas2No99

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

I hope the Jets pursue Collins as a FA 

ESPN reporting via lombardi he was just doing whatever he wanted on defense vs bills and was traded as punishment/message to team

wish bowles and macc had balls like that this years team is mailing it in

22 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah, pass on the whole rebuild thing. Find a QB, draft depth, and take studs whenever they come around.

Got it.  Add you to my list of STB guys that will complain when the Jets don't  sign every overpriced name next Spring.

BTW, how can fans not have noticed by now that it almost never works?  That Giants defense still stinks.  The Dolphins?  How bout them Jaguars?

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good at making tackles 10 yards don the field, he made zero difference in the thing he was supposed to , that being cover all the RBs and TES killing us in the short passing game.  Hey he has speed and has played all right for a rookie but drafting and ILB at 20 unless he is luke kuechlyesque is iffy.

Isn't that what they used to say about Vilma?

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Wow. I've heard buzz that Pats didn't want to pay him. He's their best LBer, but is having a down year.

Trade Sheldon + 5th rounder to Browns for Haden + Collins. Cut Revis.

I want nothing to do with any player that comes from the Patriots roster. Every time they trade one of their "good" players they always end up sucking for every other team they play for.

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Patriots will regret these moves when they get to the Super Bowl.

The Pats Super Bowls were set up because they had a good-great defense.  Now they are taking key pieces off of their defense. New England has not had a good pass rush all year

Yet their points against are one of the best in the NFL.

31 minutes ago, varjet said:

Isn't that what they used to say about Vilma?

Yup, another in a long list of players with some ability drafted by the Gm to playing one system with the coach deciding he is smarter than everyone else and playing is masterful hybrid system.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Really he managed to go 3-1 with backup QB's not saying Tom Brady isn't responsible for most of his success but like him or hate him he's the best head coach in the NFL 

Plus the 11-5 with Cassell.

It is a head scratching move.  You can accept getting ahead of FA when you trade Jones or Collins, but both?

I know they have alot of FA after this year and this was likely due to that (getting a 3rd next year), but if the 4th round pick is accomplished..then it is bad move.

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I still disagree with that comp system. They should have a system like MLB has. Where each FA is assigned a grade and only like to likes get canceled out

The comp pick system isn't just based on number of players signed / lost.

From overthecap.com ...

As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1994, I’ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with an adjustment for playing time and a smaller adjustment for postseason honors.

So quality of player does factor in to the equation. To say we'd lose a pick for Harrison because we signed Jenkins is incorrect; it may reduce the value of such a pick, depending on contract terms, playing time etc, but it won't cancel it out.

16 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This is odd. Pats trying to win this yr? Never heard of 1st place team trading one of their best D players for a future pick.  Or worst team in the league trading for a guy in walk yr, giving away value pick.. That entire org is pathetic.. 

They have had on the field problems this year with Collins.  He would go rogue and do his own thing.  The whole Belichick "Do your job" thing means do what your assigned to do not what you want to do.

49 minutes ago, devland said:

They have had on the field problems this year with Collins.  He would go rogue and do his own thing.  The whole Belichick "Do your job" thing means do what your assigned to do not what you want to do.

So bb ego is the problem ? Funny Gronk disobeys B.B.'s orders to calm down the partying but he doesn't give two ****ks what he says ha.. Gronk knows he can do whatever he wants, pats would be nothing without him 

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So bb ego is the problem ? Funny Gronk disobeys B.B.'s orders to calm down the partying but he doesn't give two ****ks what he says ha.. Gronk knows he can do whatever he wants, pats would be nothing without him 

So Gronk throws himself the ball?

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

It is different when it is on the field.  One guy doing deciding on his own he is going to blitz when his assignment is to cover the tight end is a recipe for disaster.  Gronk does what's asked of him on the field.

3 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Plus the 11-5 with Cassell.

It is a head scratching move.  You can accept getting ahead of FA when you trade Jones or Collins, but both?

I know they have alot of FA after this year and this was likely due to that (getting a 3rd next year), but if the 4th round pick is accomplished..then it is bad move.

I'm so tired of seeing Pats fans bring up 2008 with Cassell. 1st that was still a very good defense, 2nd, they played the weakest schedule in the league, very 2015 Jets like. Our Jets went up there with Favre & beat them on SNF.

I think they played 2 teams with a record over 500 that year. Stop. Please.

8 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Are  any of the La La Land residents  going to apologize for calling me nuts for saying there is no way Sheldumn would fetch a 1st?!?!  And that a 2nd would be really good, or a 3rd acceptable?

Jamie Collins just drew a conditional 3rd...

Lol Sheldon has a few years left on his deal and Collins has 8 games.

So you tell me you don't see the difference in the value?

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Having a hall of fame Qb can let you do just about anything you want and it will look like genius.  Any other teams giving up the quality of players the pats have let go on the cheap the last few years would be killed.  If you have a hof Qb you can be as ballsy as you want.

That doesn't only apply to roster moves, but in-game decisions.  You can be ballsier and go for it on 4th down when Brady is your QB than when Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith is your QB.

8 hours ago, ljr said:

You yayyyy or nayyy on the move?

Nay.  I've seen a bunch of articles over the last 12 hours suggesting that Collins really isn't that good and won't be a big loss.  Those read to me like hit pieces commissioned by Jonathan Kraft to help sell the deal to his team's fan base. 

One of those articles compared Collins to a "guess" hitter who hits home runs but also strikes out a lot.  Even if there is some truth to that comparison, his "home run" games often come in big games and, when they do, he looks like the best player on the field.  One of his next "home run" games could very well have come in this year's playoffs.  I don't think the team should have sacrificed that just to get ahead of a contract dispute and to try to steer Collins to an innocuous team.  

18 hours ago, ljr said:

He's in the 4th year of his rookie deal as a 2nd round pick ... What wiggle room does the player have around the Franchise Tag if he doesn't want to play in Cleveland next year?

http://overthecap.com/player/jamie-collins/2280/

despite him being a good player I would think a winless team should value their picks  over at most 1 & 1/2 seasons of the player

They have amassed a ton of picks and can afford -even need - to use one, on a sure thing that will bring something on the field and the locker room 

7 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

That doesn't only apply to roster moves, but in-game decisions.  You can be ballsier and go for it on 4th down when Brady is your QB than when Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith is your QB.

This past Sunday the Bengals tried a QB sneak on 4th and 1 and Dalton fumbled the ball and the other team recovered. LOL 

On 10/31/2016 at 2:22 PM, choon328 said:

It's a compensatory 3rd. The "compensatory" part is that if Collins doesn't re-sign with the Browns after the season the Patriots have to give the Browns a 3rd round pick in 2018. Which means they'll get that 3rd plus whatever comp pick they'd get for losing him. 

hqdefault.jpg

15 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

BEcause the Pats go up ahead so much that teams have to play comeback and get one diemensional

Not entirely true.  The Cheats have a poor pass rush.  But some of that is because they rarely seem  to blitz.  Most of the time they are in a softer defense, but forces a team to throw underneath, and put together long drives.   The Cheats basically wait out the opponents offense to either get impatient, make a mistake on a playcall or execution, or tighten it up in the red zone to force a FG. It is a boring defense to watch, but is doing what BB wants.

50 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Not entirely true.  The Cheats have a poor pass rush.  But some of that is because they rarely seem  to blitz.  Most of the time they are in a softer defense, but forces a team to throw underneath, and put together long drives.   The Cheats basically wait out the opponents offense to either get impatient, make a mistake on a playcall or execution, or tighten it up in the red zone to force a FG. It is a boring defense to watch, but is doing what BB wants.

Exactly. They pair that up with an offense that scores at will and pressures the opponents offense to have to try and keep up. Once again, BB is playing chess while everyone else is playing go fish. Let's see if it works vs the Denver Defense.....

21 hours ago, varjet said:

That third round pick is almost a second round pick-very top of 3rd round, given its the Browns.  A comp pick is at the end of the round, or almost a 4th round pick.

The Jets, on the other hand, paid valuable cap space for Jarvis Jenkins who not only does not play, but likely cost them their Damon Harrison comp pick.

+1

Price of being a terrible negotiator and believing his player had value that no one else believed he had. No one, that is, except the fans and journalists who would have crucified him for taking the going rate for a free agent DE/DT seeking something on the order of a $17M/yr contract. 

17 hours ago, Jetster said:

I'm so tired of seeing Pats fans bring up 2008 with Cassell. 1st that was still a very good defense, 2nd, they played the weakest schedule in the league, very 2015 Jets like. Our Jets went up there with Favre & beat them on SNF.

I think they played 2 teams with a record over 500 that year. Stop. Please.

That was not a 'very good' defense.  They were gashed on a few occasions.  That very good defense gave up more points and yardage playing that weak schedule. A very good defense probably could have carried the team to the playoffs.

As far as Cassel, he was a QB with like 70 passes (over 7 years) from his freshman year in college to his "oh $hit" I am the QB in year 4.  He had not started a game since high school.  High f'ing school. 

Archived