Mike Maccagnan believes Jets' Todd Bowles is 'going to be a very good coach in this league'

JetBlue

"I think Todd is going to be a very good coach in this league," general manager Mike Maccagnan said at his midseason press conference. "He's doing a good job right now."

Those are hand-washing buttery things you say before firing someone to sound supportive and prop him up emotionally before kicking him to the curb. 

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He didn't say that he was going to be a very good coach with the Jets............

Agreed. "In this league" = elsewhere

butter-spreader.jpg

8 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Macc is not going to say what he really thought in this presser. Besides he's not even Bowles Boss, thats Woody (dumb organisational move). He realises the season is gone, and wants Bowles to play the kids, but can't make him.

I understand the Fitz move, based on last years numbers , but they did not get the 2015 Fitz. They got the Fitz of old. The Revis move was all Woody after the Idzik debacle to get the fans onside. Mo had 13 sacks last year and looked fantasic, this year he's aweful. 

And Chandler Jones had the same amount of sacks Mo did playing one less year and the Pats traded him for a 2nd rd pick and a player they cut already and he has 7 sacks so far with the Cards this season.. Pats keep rotating players for picks instead of signing big contracts for players that sit on their butts and collect their money.. Mo makes more then Brady this year..:angry:

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

And Chandler Jones had the same amount of sacks Mo did playing one less year and the Pats traded him for a 2nd rd pick and a player they cut already and he has 7 sacks so far with the Cards this season.. Pats keep rotating players for picks instead of signing big contracts for players that sit on their butts and collect their money.. Mo makes more then Brady this year..:angry:

Maybe we can try Mo at QB :rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

very good point.  they did the same thing with mankins, seymour, and wilfork.  and they didn't excercise their option on revis because they felt they could use that money to get two or three other players that could help them.  but then again they don't draft players because they are great players.  they draft players who they feel want to play, are good enough, and make sure every player is prepared to go in at any time.

obviously the jury is still out on how maccagnan is going to run this team.  he made the first year splash because it's always good to get out of the gate fast.  his question is how he can keep progressing without too many stinko seasons.

This part of the article is telling about what they thought they had when they both took over.

"We're dealing with stuff this season," Maccagnan said. "We knew this going in. We knew when we started, with where we wanted to get to, we'd face adversity along the way."

Reminds me of what Mac said before the season, "playoffs are not our benchmark of success this season," something along those lines. I don't think anyone in Jets front office thought The competitive rebuild would produce a championship. It was just to keep them from being a joke while the true rebuild was taking place. 

Worked last year, obviously this year is atrocious. They probably asduned we were an 8-8 team with this years schedule and we easily could be 5-5/6-4 right now. Either way, 8-8 or 4-12 whatever we end up as is the same result, out of playoffs. 

The biggest problem with this team i truly believe is that we have too many vets who were going to keep us decent during this rebuild, who have no desire to play or are just too banged up and over the hill. We need young, hungry players.

I suspect, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Giacomini, Clady, Sheldon (only trade worthy one), Gilchrist, of course Fitz, Kellen Davis. Decker I wasn't worried about the shoulder injury as much as the hip concerned me. But it didn't seem to be major so I guess Deck and Marshall come back for another year and compete in camp. Pryor I'm 50/50 on if I want him back. He has talent but plays stupid and at some point you just can't teach stupid.

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This part of the article is telling about what they thought they had when they both took over.

"We're dealing with stuff this season," Maccagnan said. "We knew this going in. We knew when we started, with where we wanted to get to, we'd face adversity along the way."

Reminds me of what Mac said before the season, "playoffs are not our benchmark of success this season," something along those lines. I don't think anyone in Jets front office thought The competitive rebuild would produce a championship. It was just to keep them from being a joke while the true rebuild was taking place. 

Worked last year, obviously this year is atrocious. They probably asduned we were an 8-8 team with this years schedule and we easily could be 5-5/6-4 right now. Either way, 8-8 or 4-12 whatever we end up as is the same result, out of playoffs. 

The biggest problem with this team i truly believe is that we have too many vets who were going to keep us decent during this rebuild, who have no desire to play or are just too banged up and over the hill. We need young, hungry players.

I suspect, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Giacomini, Clady, Sheldon (only trade worthy one), Gilchrist, of course Fitz, Kellen Davis. Decker I wasn't worried about the shoulder injury as much as the hip concerned me. But it didn't seem to be major so I guess Deck and Marshall come back for another year and compete in camp. Pryor I'm 50/50 on if I want him back. He has talent but plays stupid and at some point you just can't teach stupid.

The highlighted part of that post is the reason Ryan Fitzpatrick should never have been resigned and probably why he was . Imagine what would be written about this coaching staff and front office if the Jets had the same record or worst and did not resigned Fitzpatrick coming off the season he put together last year ?  Todd Bowles may not survive this season, but he would certainly be fired if he produced this season without Fitzpatrick having been a part of it .

It's my believe that this conundrum was the reason it took forever to make Fitzpatrick a part of this 2016 team . 

24 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The highlighted part of that post is the reason Ryan Fitzpatrick should never have been resigned and probably why he was . Imagine what would be written about this coaching staff and front office if the Jets had the same record or worst and did not resigned Fitzpatrick coming off the season he put together last year ?  Todd Bowles may not survive this season, but he would certainly be fired if he produced this season without Fitzpatrick having been a part of it .

It's my believe that this conundrum was the reason it took forever to make Fitzpatrick a part of this 2016 team . 

Also, coaches believe that they can coach up players and teams. I think Mac knew this team overachieved last year, but conceded to the idea of "well lets bring Fitz back and take one last shot at this." 

Bowles you could see behind the scenes probably begged for Fitz back, he went as far to name Fitz the starter before he was even re-signed.

Reality has hit Bowles hard.

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Also, coaches believe that they can coach up players and teams. I think Mac knew this team overachieved last year, but conceded to the idea of "well lets bring Fitz back and take one last shot at this." 

Bowles you could see behind the scenes probably begged for Fitz back, he went as far to name Fitz the starter before he was even re-signed.

Reality has hit Bowles hard.

Todd Bowles does not have the HCing clout to do what needed to be done . He had no choice but to close ranks behind Fitzpatrick . It's the only thing that might allow him to keep his job after a season like this .It's that kind of forward thinking that will make him the type of HC Mac thinks he will grow into.

The Jets and their Fans need to be patient and careful here . This could be another Pete Carroll situation here where we fire a HC before he becomes a finish product . The potential is there, it just needs to be allowed to grow. I could go so far as to say that Todd Bowles and Christian Hackenberg are in the same boat . The potential is there for all to see, and so is the hate because of where both men sit presently in the eyes of some fans .

This is truly a fast food world .  

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Todd Bowles does not have the HCing clout to do what needed to be done . He had no choice but to close ranks behind Fitzpatrick . It's the only thing that might allow him to keep his job after a season like this .It's that kind of forward thinking that will make him the type of HC Mac thinks he will grow into.

The Jets and their Fans need to be patient and careful here . This could be another Pete Carroll situation here where we fire a HC before he becomes a finish product . The potential is there, it just needs to be allowed to grow. I could go so far as to say that Todd Bowles and Christian Hackenberg are in the same boat . The potential is there for all to see, and so is the hate because of where both men sit presently in the eyes of some fans .

This is truly a fast food world .  

If Woody truly believes in Bowles and Mac's plan when he hires them, they both stay 4 or 5 years. That's how bad our roster was when they were hired. This wasn't a playoff roster with players in their primes.

I didn't expect much from this team wityin the first 3 years when they were hired. By that, I felt the competitve rebuild team might make the playoffs once, but a true contending team I didn't expect for awhile. This roster was bare bones.

John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, Bruce Arians, Mike Zimmer, Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy. This board would have switched Todd Bowles with any of them starting from Week 4.

They all have and have had franchise quarterbacks, and much better and younger rosters. Yet look at them, not just this year, but they all have had down years. 

If Bowles went 4-12 last year and 4-12again this year (which is where we are headed) I could understand the "fire him" movement more. But if 3-7 so far falls on Bowles then so does 10-6 last year with Fitz as the quarterback. He deserves another year if not two more .UNLESS...

...Any proven coach with experience wants this job. For some strange reason. From that list I'll take any over Bowles except Mike Zimmer.

Archived