First line of this article is mind blowing...

whodeawhodat

40 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I just don't see Macc bringing in a guy like Glennon to block Hack. He put a lot of eggs into that basket, I think he's going to want to see that string played out.

You might be right, but if Macc goes stubborn on a 2nd round pick, who IMO shouldn't have been selected until at least the 4th, and Hack gets significant playing time in 2017, IMO the Jets will be selecting a QB from either USC or UCLA with the 1st pick in the 2018 draft.

It won't be Macc making the selection.   

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, flgreen said:

I'll go with door #3.  Bring Glennon in as the "bridge" QB.  Now you have 3 young QB's  that have some potential.  Give Macc two more years as GM.   If they keep Bowles make it clear to him that Macc is the boss.

If none of the QB's work out in 2 season's , rinse and repeat.

Sad but it's where the Jets are as a team right now.

Door 2 does not work because at the time when you have to pull that trigger, the Jets will not have an OL to support a Romo or Cutler.   Woody is also a radical Republican, and neither him nor the fans will tolerate Kaepernick. In NY CK would be a disaster.

Door 3 works so long as it is a fair competition.  Petty or even Hack could also be switched out with a draft pick.   I still am not offended by keeping 4 QBs.

The correct rebuild move would be the draft the best value QB in 2017 in the first 3 rounds (be aggressive, but not stupid), and let the three 3 years and below QBs slug it out and learn with their OL and WRs.  You can keep drafting new ones and drop the worst.  Maybe even draft 2 and put one on the PS.  

With 2nd and 4th round picks on the roster now from top college programs, it does seen unfathomable that the CS cannot find a way to get one of them on the field.  Either they were horrible picks, horribly coached, or both.  That is where the wheels fall off this cart.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

IMO one of the biggest mistakes Macc has made to present was drafting Hack in the 2nd round.  Again IMO Hack won't be ready for anything next season.  Truly hope I'm wrong, he is a nice kid, with some talent.  Watched a lot of Penn State.  He was awful.  He was again awful in camp.  

Petty I don't know about.  He had great #'s in college, Has shown some improvement from the horrible Senior Bowl week, where he couldn't play under center at all, and caused him to fall to the 4th round, to pre-season last year, and again had shown some improvement in this year's camp.  IMO he played well enough to be the #2.  Think he needs the rest of the season to see if he can play in the NFL, or be gone next year.

Have to say Villain has convinced me that Glennon is worth a look at.  Played fairly well for the Bucs, for one reason or another they weren't sold on him.  Lucked into who I think is going to be an excellent QB in Winston, but thought enough of Glennon to keep him on the roster.  Think there is at least a possibility Glennon could be a good QB.

Jets have to star sorting this mess out now.  I'm good if Petty gets to play the season out, if he shows anything, let him and Glennon compete for starter next year.  If Petty is bad,  Lets see if Glennon can be an NFL starter, or if Hack can make a quantum leap.   

I disagree with you about Hack and the type of QB he can become. Regardless, this article is pretty spot on.  And it all depends on what the Jets CS believes they have in Hack and Petty. The Jets will find themselves in a situation where they have 2 QBs under contract. Both young, both cheap and both beyond unproven. This is why it was so upsetting for me that Bowles continues to play Fitz. We NEED to see what Petty and Hack can do in actual NFL games.

Now, its not the wort QB situation you can imagine. They have young talent at the position and numerous options (including, i'm assuming, a high draft pick and $$$ they can allocate to the position).

So let's look at some of the options ASSUMING the CS does not believe Petty or Hack can get a hold of the starting QB position next season.

1. Veteran 'star' via trade: Romo, Brees, Rivers, Flacco. Brees, Rivers and Flacco will not be traded without a legitimate replacement in place so lets look at Romo. Romo is expendable only due to the rise or Prescott. But the cowboys will still want compensation. Romo's contract is also problematic. He has 3 yrs left on his massive deal, a lot of which is guaranteed. Add to that the fact that he is so injury prone and this makes a Romo comes to NYJ scenario very unlikely. The only thing that makes this a possibility is that Romo has nowhere else to go. The Broncos is the only OTHER team I can think of that makes sense for Romo. In either case, he will probably need to re-structure his deal. But with all the guaranteed $$$, why would he? To be fair, barring injury, Romo would be a massive upgrade over anyone the Jets have had at QB in a long time. There's other guys that can be put on the list like Kaep, Cutler, Bradford, RGIII etc., but I really have no interest on any of them- they are not very good, IMO, so whats the point in trading for them?  

2. Young FA QB: Another unlikely scenario. Glennon and Cousins are the only viable options for 'young' QBs worth signing in FA and bringing in as presumptive starters. I fully expect Cousins to re-sign with Washington. Glennon is an intriguing possibility. But one that involves taking a big chance financially. There is no doubt in my mind that if the Jets want to get Glennon, they will have to fork over the type of contract that Brock Osweiller got. That's a hefty investment. There is nothing wrong with taking a chance, financially, on a potential franchise QB. BUT, with Hack and Petty on the roster, two young potential starters, one drafted to be the future Franchise QB (Hack)- how do you take a chance on someone like Glennon without figuring out what you have in Hack and Petty first??? It doesn't make sense to me. I don't think the Jets- and Macc of all people, who is wary of signing guys long term, and who drafted both Hack and Petty, will want to go all in on Glennon. Especially with the limited action Glennon has gotten on the field.

3. Rookie QB- youth movement: Another unlikely scenario is that the Jets draft a QB early and go with a youth movement at the position with Petty, Hack, and a rookie. I know this is what Jet fans want. They want to keep drafting QBs until we hit on a star. I would love this also. I would love to see Petty, Hack and a talented rookie battle it out in camp and pre-season. But realistically speaking, this is a very unlikely scenario. Unless Petty or Hack start showing that they can be legit NFL starters (see my frustration at Bowles for starting Fitz- above), it seems unfathomable to go into the season with one QB that has barely played (Petty), a 2nd year QB who has yet to take a NFL snap (Hack), and a rookie QB who is in the same boat and may need to hold the clipboard for at least a full season before starting. And with Hack being drafted in the 2nd round and taking a red-shirt year, I just don;t see the Jets spending a high draft pick on another QB, at least not this year.              

4. Veteran bridge QB: This is the most likely scenario. I know Jets fans don't want to see this happen after what they saw go on with Fitz, the hold-out, the poor play this season, etc. But odds are the Jets will bring in a vet FA QB on a short term deal (Hoyer?) to be a 'bridge' QB that can start in case Petty and Hack are not ready OR be a vet backup in case Petty or Hack ARE ready.

So again, the Jets will have a ton of options and they will all depend on whether they believe Petty or Hack can be the starting QB in 2017. Translation- BENCH FITZ and let the kids play!!! At this point, this move needs to come from above, whether fans like it or not that Woody 'meddles' with team management. Bowles is simply not willing to move on from Fitz as he views it as 'giving up on the season'. And you can't do that yet, not if you are a coach or player. 

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Door 2 does not work because at the time when you have to pull that trigger, the Jets will not have an OL to support a Romo or Cutler.   Woody is also a radical Republican, and neither him nor the fans will tolerate Kaepernick. In NY CK would be a disaster.

Door 3 works so long as it is a fair competition.  Petty or even Hack could also be switched out with a draft pick.   I still am not offended by keeping 4 QBs.

The correct rebuild move would be the draft the best value QB in 2017 in the first 3 rounds (be aggressive, but not stupid), and let the three 3 years and below QBs slug it out and learn with their OL and WRs.  You can keep drafting new ones and drop the worst.  Maybe even draft 2 and put one on the PS.  

With 2nd and 4th round picks on the roster now from top college programs, it does seen unfathomable that the CS cannot find a way to get one of them on the field.  Either they were horrible picks, horribly coached, or both.  That is where the wheels fall off this cart.

IMO 2017 IS NOT the year to select an early 1st round QB who is going to be the hope for the next 5 years.  If the Jets are going to go that route, 2018 might be a good year to roll the dice on a top 5 QB from California.  

It's a year and a half away, and you never know what's going to happen, but both USC and UCLA have IMO very promising QB's

39 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Then you probably don't like the fact that 40 years later he is still the face of this franchise.  LOL

I think he always will be but when you look at the best QBs of all time he's not even in the discussion and it is a little embarrassing how he is propped up as the best in franchise history when on most teams he'd be lucky to be top 5.

3 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

http://nypost.com/2016/11/29/romo-petty-breaking-down-divergent-qb-paths-awaiting-jets/

Romo? Petty? Breaking down divergent QB paths awaiting Jets

Here is a depressing statistic for all of you Jets fans that underscores how miserable this team’s quarterback history has been: Ryan Fitzpatrick moved past Geno Smith into eighth place in team history with 6,157 passing yards as a Jet.

Let that soak in for a minute: Fitzpatrick and Smith are two of the 10 best quarterbacks statistically this franchise has had.

Which brings us to this offseason. The Jets are faced with another huge decision to make at quarterback, which has been a pretty steady storyline for this team since Joe Namath left town after 1976.

This 2017 quarterback decision for general manager Mike Maccagnan sets up like one of those old “Choose Your Own Adventure” kids books. Remember those? Where you were a character and after a few pages, you were given a few options and jumped to page 43 with one option or page 52 with another.

Maccagnan’s decision about what to do at quarterback next year can be summarized by a series of questions and what his answers are to them.

Is the quarterback on the current roster?

This is where your adventure begins. There is about a 1 percent chance Fitzpatrick is back next year, so cross him off the list. Geno Smith is likely gone, too, but I could see a scenario where the Jets decide Smith is worth keeping around if they do not like the other options out there. I’m not sure Smith would want to stay here, but his options will be limited after knee surgery.

Even with Smith a small possibility, this is really about the kids. Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg are unknowns at this point. That is why the fanbase is clamoring to see at least one of them. Coach Todd Bowles has been reluctant to pull the plug on 2016 and turn to Petty, but that is coming. Figure Petty gets at least four total games this season (including one he already played). That will give the Jets a good idea of what they have in him. Hackenberg is unlikely to be viewed as a starter in 2017. The 2016 second-round pick is a project and the Jets know it.

So, if Maccagnan answers “no” to this question, he should proceed to …

Do you bring in a “star” quarterback to win now?

This really is about Tony Romo. The Cowboys have found their future with Dak Prescott (taken 84 picks after Hackenberg, but that is a story for another day). Now, will they trade Romo in the offseason? The price figures to be a mid-round pick to get Romo, which the Jets should give up if they think he is the answer.

If you decide to go with Romo, that means you are going for it in 2017. That also means adding other free agents and trying to patch up the holes on this roster rather than going young and delaying the inevitable rebuild this team needs to undergo.

Outside of Romo, Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick would fit this mold and should be available. I don’t think Cutler would do well in New York. Kaepernick carries a ton of off-the-field baggage with him now that he is an active protester. He also has struggled over the last few years, although he has played better in recent weeks.

If Maccagnan answers “no” to this question, he should proceed to …

Modal Trigger

Do you sign a “bridge” quarterback?

If the decision is the Jets are going to rebuild with younger guys, but Petty and Hackenberg are not quite ready, this is the way to go.

Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer and Mike Glennon all should be available this offseason. Adding one of them could give you a professional starter while you bring Petty and/or Hackenberg along.

If Maccagnan answers “no” to this question, he should proceed to …

Do you draft another quarterback?

The Jets have drafted more quarterbacks than any other team since 2006. Do they go down that road again? This quarterback draft class is considered a weak one, but if you subscribe to the theory that you keep taking them until you find one, then the answer is yes.

You have reached the end of your adventure, Mike Maccagnan. If you chose wisely, this won’t be a conversation again in 2018. But, chances are, we’ll be doing this again next year.

consider the source. cannizaro is justing bs like manish or serby.  he has no clue about what the jets are going to do or what the real options are.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I think he always will be but when you look at the best QBs of all time he's not even in the discussion and it is a little embarrassing how he is propped up as the best in franchise history when on most teams he'd be lucky to be top 5.

Im more embarrassed that 47 years later we haven't even reached the superbowl again let alone win it. Im appreciative to that entire team that gave us the only championship we will ever had. Yep, I said ever.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Thats OK....  I personally wouldn't wear a Curtis martin jersey or a Revis jersey, the heroe's of this generation. 2 guys who when push came to shove were unable to or did not deliver.  Joe delivered.  Stats are for losers, Joe brought us a ring.

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I disagree with you about Hack and the type of QB he can become. Regardless, this article is pretty spot on.  And it all depends on what the Jets CS believes they have in Hack and Petty. The Jets will find themselves in a situation where they have 2 QBs under contract. Both young, both cheap and both beyond unproven. This is why it was so upsetting for me that Bowles continues to play Fitz. We NEED to see what Petty and Hack can do in actual NFL games.

Now, its not the wort QB situation you can imagine. They have young talent at the position and numerous options (including, i'm assuming, a high draft pick and $$$ they can allocate to the position).

So let's look at some of the options ASSUMING the CS does not believe Petty or Hack can get a hold of the starting QB position next season.

1. Veteran 'star' via trade: Romo, Brees, Rivers, Flacco. Brees, Rivers and Flacco will not be traded without a legitimate replacement in place so lets look at Romo. Romo is expendable only due to the rise or Prescott. But the cowboys will still want compensation. Romo's contract is also problematic. He has 3 yrs left on his massive deal, a lot of which is guaranteed. Add to that the fact that he is so injury prone and this makes a Romo comes to NYJ scenario very unlikely. The only thing that makes this a possibility is that Romo has nowhere else to go. The Broncos is the only OTHER team I can think of that makes sense for Romo. In either case, he will probably need to re-structure his deal. But with all the guaranteed $$$, why would he? To be fair, barring injury, Romo would be a massive upgrade over anyone the Jets have had at QB in a long time. There's other guys that can be put on the list like Kaep, Cutler, Bradford, RGIII etc., but I really have no interest on any of them- they are not very good, IMO, so whats the point in trading for them?  

2. Young FA QB: Another unlikely scenario. Glennon and Cousins are the only viable options for 'young' QBs worth signing in FA and bringing in as presumptive starters. I fully expect Cousins to re-sign with Washington. Glennon is an intriguing possibility. But one that involves taking a big chance financially. There is no doubt in my mind that if the Jets want to get Glennon, they will have to fork over the type of contract that Brock Osweiller got. That's a hefty investment. There is nothing wrong with taking a chance, financially, on a potential franchise QB. BUT, with Hack and Petty on the roster, two young potential starters, one drafted to be the future Franchise QB (Hack)- how do you take a chance on someone like Glennon without figuring out what you have in Hack and Petty first??? It doesn't make sense to me. I don't think the Jets- and Macc of all people, who is wary of signing guys long term, and who drafted both Hack and Petty, will want to go all in on Glennon. Especially with the limited action Glennon has gotten on the field.

3. Rookie QB- youth movement: Another unlikely scenario is that the Jets draft a QB early and go with a youth movement at the position with Petty, Hack, and a rookie. I know this is what Jet fans want. They want to keep drafting QBs until we hit on a star. I would love this also. I would love to see Petty, Hack and a talented rookie battle it out in camp and pre-season. But realistically speaking, this is a very unlikely scenario. Unless Petty or Hack start showing that they can be legit NFL starters (see my frustration at Bowles for starting Fitz- above), it seems unfathomable to go into the season with one QB that has barely played (Petty), a 2nd year QB who has yet to take a NFL snap (Hack), and a rookie QB who is in the same boat and may need to hold the clipboard for at least a full season before starting. And with Hack being drafted in the 2nd round and taking a red-shirt year, I just don;t see the Jets spending a high draft pick on another QB, at least not this year.              

4. Veteran bridge QB: This is the most likely scenario. I know Jets fans don't want to see this happen after what they saw go on with Fitz, the hold-out, the poor play this season, etc. But odds are the Jets will bring in a vet FA QB on a short term deal (Hoyer?) to be a 'bridge' QB that can start in case Petty and Hack are not ready OR be a vet backup in case Petty or Hack ARE ready.

So again, the Jets will have a ton of options and they will all depend on whether they believe Petty or Hack can be the starting QB in 2017. Translation- BENCH FITZ and let the kids play!!! At this point, this move needs to come from above, whether fans like it or not that Woody 'meddles' with team management. Bowles is simply not willing to move on from Fitz as he views it as 'giving up on the season'. And you can't do that yet, not if you are a coach or player. 

as i see it, option 1, 2, and 4 are close to being the same.  i would opt for cutler if petty or hack show more than promise.  if you bring cousins or glennon in he's going to want to stick around for a while so that pretty much undermines petty/hack.  forget about romo, too old and fragile.  forget about bradford, too fragile.  forget about kaepernick, too much of a moron.  and of they try to draft a top qb, good luck.  look at how many top qb's the browns or texans or whoever have drafted expecting them to start on day one. it doesn't happen.

now if they were really bold, they could go after  guys like matt ryan or stafford.  it'll take a ton of money but they would get a bona fide starter good for another 5 years.

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Im more embarrassed that 47 years later we haven't even reached the superbowl again let alone win it. Im appreciative to that entire team that gave us the only championship we will ever had. Yep, I said ever.

seeing the red Sox, White Sox, Cavs and Cubs win gives me hope.  thankfully that team came along in 1968 though b/c in this era they wouldn't have that easy path to a SB like we had in 1968.

Such a hack article, first not letting his audience know that the NFL has changed the last 10, or so years to such a heavy passing league guys in bad years throw for 4000 yards as an average QB when proclaiming Smith, and Fitz are 8, and 9 on the Jets all time pass list.

But the most glaring hack part of this is lumping a 26 year old unproven potential franchise signal caller in Mike Glennon with a 31, and 37 year old proven journeyman in Hoyer, and McCown.

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

Signing Glennon is tricky. You can't just bring in Glennon and have a 'fair competition' with the possibility of Glennon being a backup behind Hack or Petty. If you sign Glennon, it will be to a big, long term deal (much like Osweiller) and he will be the presumptive starter. He WILL block Hack and even Petty from starting. The team will feel like they made a large investment and have to wait at least 2 years for Glennon to prove he was worthy of the contract. It's actually a much less likely scenario for the Jets to sign Glennon than it seems to fans.

Yes, I agree, the correct 'rebuild' move would be to draft a QB. But going into the 2017 season with 3 QBs that have zero NFL experience is highly unlikely. Which means the Jets would need to drop Petty, or keep 4 QBs and sign a vet as insurance. Now, what makes drafting a QB both a feasible AND unlikely scenario (making this whole thing that much more confusing) is if Petty or Hack were to separate themselves as legit starters for 2017. If this were to happen- #1 why would they draft a QB?? BUT- if one WERE to step up, it makes going with Petty, Hack and a rookie (rather than adding a vet) that much more feasible.  

Once again, it all comes down to whether Petty or Hack can be legit NFL starters. And we won't know until they play. And they won't play until Fitz gets benched. So first things first, bench Fitz.   

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the thing is namath does not rank top 5 in statistics but if he were playing today with the benefit of soft dback coverage and medical advances he'd be 1 or 2.  totally different eras.  and if you want to look at eras consider how many titles otto graham won.

The fact that many fans of this QB starved team are putting hope and faith in Mike Glennon concerns me if he was so good the Bucs wouldnt have drafted Winston and yes I know you dont pass on a franchise QB but ultimately isn't that what we are looking for so how would Glennon fill that need. 

No more retreads no more somebody else's crap. Lets draft a QB who we are willing to take our lumps with unlike now starting a journeyman noodle armed bum who has no future here. 

Sometimes I wonder if the this team actually understands the concept of signing free agents, drafting and building a decent competitive team.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the thing is namath does not rank top 5 in statistics but if he were playing today with the benefit of soft dback coverage and medical advances he'd be 1 or 2.  totally different eras.  and if you want to look at eras consider how many titles otto graham won.

Otto Graham is one of the all time greats.  Namath couldn't survive much smaller players in his era, what do you think he'd do in today's era?

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Colts were easy? Re-write history much?

Colts weren't but getting to the SB was.  Only needed to win one game at home while our opponent played an extra game.  Oak had a better record than us, beat us yet tied w/ KC so they had to play a playoff game game then had to come to NY despite better record and beating us head to head.  it's impossible to have a road that easy today.

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Where we disagree is #1 on Hack.   As I've said I will be very happy if I'm wrong on him.  He seems like an excellent person, and has some talent.  So far, it just hurts my eyes to watch him play.  If he pans out, problem over.

Option #1  Romo.  

I'm sick of these over the hill, over-rated QB's I don't want Romo.

Option #2.  The point you bring up about Glennon drawing a lot of money on a "maybe" gamble is valid.  I only want Glennon if the Jets can sign him at an affordable price.  I wouldn't mind overpaying him next season , if the Jets can escape from the contract in 2018 with out screwing the cap over.  Guess we'll have to see what perceived value he has.

Option #3  You never know how a QB class is going to go, but I don't like this one at all.  2018 looks a lot better.............So far.

Option #4...To make this work the Jets MUST give Petty a good bit of time this season to see if he has anything.  That we agree on.

IMO the Jets are in very dark waters right now.  Some early mistakes were made by this regime.   The competitive rebuild was a mistake.  Bowles should have cleaned house year one.  Now they are in year 3.  A winner is expected.  They are also looking at a total rebuild in year 3.  Ouch.

Will Woody and the fans be patient and let them start from scratch?  Don't think so.  To keep their jobs Macc MUST find a competent QB NOW, to give Woody and the fans some hope.  If he can be signed to a managable contract, IMO Glennon gives them the best hope.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Otto Graham is one of the all time greats.  Namath couldn't survive much smaller players in his era, what do you think he'd do in today's era?

Colts weren't but getting to the SB was.  Only needed to win one game at home while our opponent played an extra game.  Oak had a better record than us, beat us yet tied w/ KC so they had to play a playoff game game then had to come to NY despite better record and beating us head to head.  it's impossible to have a road that easy today.

True. Yet a lot easier to play QB today.

Just now, nyjunc said:

I disagree with that.  game is so much faster, players are so much bigger, stronger and faster, schemes are much more complex, pressure to perform is greater than ever.  

You disagree that it is now a passing league? Every single rule change has been made to make QB and WR as impressive as possible. DB's are not allowed to touch a reciever after 5 yards and QB's are treated like they are made out of glass.  Would love to see what a young Joe Willy could do in this pansy ass league.

3 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Top Ten QB??? Are you kidding... What a Hack Job Article.... look at all the teams across the league... You think they have shining stars in 8th and 9th place at QB... No Way... in fact most of them have junk outside the top 2 or 3 ... that's why they are top 2 or 3 because they lasted so many years. After that its irrelevant for this .... If you have QBs that last many many years the top 10 would look like sh*t.

Exactly this. To put this into perspective, Tommy Maddox is the Steelers 9th leading passer in franchise history.

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

You disagree that it is now a passing league? Every single rule change has been made to make QB and WR as impressive as possible. DB's are not allowed to touch a reciever after 5 yards and QB's are treated like they are made out of glass.  Would love to see what a young Joe Willy could do in this pansy ass league.

No I disagree that it is a lot easier to play QB, it's easier to put up #s but it's harder to play the position.

Joe couldn't survive when lineman were the size of QBs today, what do you think he'd do against much bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic players today?

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

No I disagree that it is a lot easier to play QB, it's easier to put up #s but it's harder to play the position.

Joe couldn't survive when lineman were the size of QBs today, what do you think he'd do against much bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic players today?

Kick their bitch asses!!!! 

34 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Signing Glennon is tricky. You can't just bring in Glennon and have a 'fair competition' with the possibility of Glennon being a backup behind Hack or Petty. If you sign Glennon, it will be to a big, long term deal (much like Osweiller) and he will be the presumptive starter. He WILL block Hack and even Petty from starting. The team will feel like they made a large investment and have to wait at least 2 years for Glennon to prove he was worthy of the contract. It's actually a much less likely scenario for the Jets to sign Glennon than it seems to fans.

Yes, I agree, the correct 'rebuild' move would be to draft a QB. But going into the 2017 season with 3 QBs that have zero NFL experience is highly unlikely. Which means the Jets would need to drop Petty, or keep 4 QBs and sign a vet as insurance. Now, what makes drafting a QB both a feasible AND unlikely scenario (making this whole thing that much more confusing) is if Petty or Hack were to separate themselves as legit starters for 2017. If this were to happen- #1 why would they draft a QB?? BUT- if one WERE to step up, it makes going with Petty, Hack and a rookie (rather than adding a vet) that much more feasible.  

Once again, it all comes down to whether Petty or Hack can be legit NFL starters. And we won't know until they play. And they won't play until Fitz gets benched. So first things first, bench Fitz.   

I think when looking for a QB you have to take a lot of shots and hope something hits.  I think the Jets may be a 4 QB team until it finds "the guy."

Sign a Hoyer and draft a best value (whatever round).  If Petty or Hack look clueless next August, cut them.  Go with 3 or 4, but make sure they get enough reps and practice.

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

I'll go with door #3.  Bring Glennon in as the "bridge" QB.  Now you have 3 young QB's  that have some potential.  Give Macc two more years as GM.   If they keep Bowles make it clear to him that Macc is the boss.

If none of the QB's work out in 2 season's , rinse and repeat.

Sad but it's where the Jets are as a team right now.

Can Macc pick QB's? He has passed on Dak

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd round scares me to think he's the guy who is gonna make the decision. 

A lot of his decisions are awkward. 4 TE's, 4 DT's as starters. Futz's contract....Macc needs to tighten things up quite a bit. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Has any QB that has been drafted in the last 10 years as good as Brady. 

no QB ever has been as good him.  it shows how flawed scouting is that each team passed on him 3-4-5 times before he was picked so I don't think we can bash macc for not taking Dak.  we also don't have an Elliott and OL like Dallas has.  he went to the perfect team.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

no QB ever has been as good him.  it shows how flawed scouting is that each team passed on him 3-4-5 times before he was picked so I don't think we can bash macc for not taking Dak.  we also don't have an Elliott and OL like Dallas has.  he went to the perfect team.

Image result for scouts told parcells to draft brady

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

now if they were really bold, they could go after  guys like matt ryan or stafford.  it'll take a ton of money but they would get a bona fide starter good for another 5 years.

Well, yes, that would be possible via trade. But then again, you are talking about 2 teams that still have playoff hopes and you're talking about having these teams trade their Franchise QBs that they drafted and groomed themselves. Things may change in the offseason, but it will cost A TON (draft picks, etc.) to pry them away, if the team is even at all interested. It would be hard enough to pry Rivers away from a losing Chargers team, let alone Ryan or Stafford from their respective 'contending' teams. Then you look at their contracts. Ryan has 2 yrs left, so the Jets will have to be ready to re-sign him for big money. Then you have Stafford, who has one year left on his deal. So him too, the Jets will have to be ready to re-sign for big money. Begs the question- are either worth giving up multiple 1st round picks or whatever the asking price is, when these guys will be FAs in the next couple of years??? And will the team around them be good enough to compete for a SB while they are still in their prime?      

Archived