Firing a HC in under 2 years shows lack of professionalism and knowledge

AFJF

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowles at this point has alot to do better in terms of game management, player discipline and instilling fear in them to make sure they show up to camp in shape.   He needs to be much better at holding them accountable.  

He needs to much better at working with his GM to make sure he is playing the players he has correctly, and that he is getting the right players.

Together with his coordinators, he has not put together great game plans.  All three could be replaced.  Even if we keep Bowles, will anyone want to come be a coordinator on the Jets if the HC is in a do or die season?

That to me is the rub-Woody's choice is almost either extend Bowles a year (or promise him he gets 2 more), or fire the whole bunch of them.  There are pros and cons to both approaches.

Mac gets more time, but not unlimited time.

RE: player discipline

Rex ran a loose ship. Maybe it takes more than 1 year and 13 games to change that culture.

If Bowles did not bench Mo and Sheldon, no one would have ever found out. Bowles made it public by benching them.

By making it public, Mo and Sheldon had their reputation take a hit, and had to answer to the media and fans.

Mo and Sheldon are considered some of the best players on the Jets. By what Bowles did, he let the rest of the team know that no one is above the discipline.

4 hours ago, varjet said:

Bowles at this point has alot to do better in terms of game management, player discipline and instilling fear in them to make sure they show up to camp in shape.   He needs to be much better at holding them accountable.  

He needs to much better at working with his GM to make sure he is playing the players he has correctly, and that he is getting the right players.

Together with his coordinators, he has not put together great game plans.  All three could be replaced.  Even if we keep Bowles, will anyone want to come be a coordinator on the Jets if the HC is in a do or die season?

That to me is the rub-Woody's choice is almost either extend Bowles a year (or promise him he gets 2 more), or fire the whole bunch of them.  There are pros and cons to both approaches.

Mac gets more time, but not unlimited time.

You have no idea, none of us do, about player discipline.  Instilling fear is on the player not the HC.  He had an issue with Mo and SR, two of his top players and publicly undressed them.  What else can a HC do.  Nothing.

Have no idea why he has to work with his GM to make sure he is playing the players he has correctly, thats a HCs job, not the GMs.

If the Jets want to fire coaches they'll have no problem replacing them.  I'm sure Bowles has plenty of contacts, can hire and entirely new group of assistants if he wanted to.  Assistants can be hire and retained when a HC is fired or have the inside tract to the HC job. 

There are no magic 2,3,4,5 year time lengths to give a coach.  The issue is that Bowles had some 1st year problems last year, he has looked 100 time worse this year than in his rookie year.  By far the biggest issue is not Todd Bowles as a head coach for me.  It is Todd bowles and his guy Rogers as Defensive 'gurus' that seem to have zero clue at all.

I would have no problem if he got fired but I can understand him getting more years but he better be a lot different next year and he better push for massive personnel changes.

Maybe Chad Pennington thinks it's "disloyal" to fire a coach after two seasons but maybe he should consider this.  How ,'loyal" is a coach who disparages a gritty,competent and ultimately successful performance by a " rookie" starter who was under siege the entire game, showed mobility, ahtletecism and arm strength, and actually improved over the course of the game.  The "infrastructure" that has been established has given us a soft,undisciplined team that's best virtues have been to commit senseless penalties,not understand schemes or  assignments, blow off team meetings and functions, and show a general lack of accountability for this wreck of a season other to say that "This year the ball hasn't been bouncing our way"..Realy?  The "coaching" this year has actually been markedly worse than last year, we have a moribund offense that shows no imagination,consistency,or demonstrates an ability to do anything particularly well on a consistent basis.  We have a running back Bilal  Powell,  who has been wasted the past two seasons while we have had to watch a parade of Buffalo Bill castoffs repeatedly being shoved down our throats by an O.C. who thinks anything that is not a draw play into the teeth of the defense is a "trick" play.  The major reason Bowles was hired was for his reputation as a  defensive genius who would bring a pressing, aggressive, blitzing brand of football to NY.  What we got was a soft,bull-rushing,poor tackling ,fiasco that can't be blamed on the players alone.  We make no adjustments during  the game, and are continually outgameplanned and outcoached.  The "special" teams have been special only for the opposition.The "approach" has been to beat a dead horse,continue the same mistakes with the same actors and then talk about effort and loyalty.  This is the right direction?  If it walks like a duck for two seasons with no reason to believe it"s getting better,  then it time for this "duck" to go!  Anyone who calls Jets fans disloyal after all we"ve been through post "69. needs to think again, "family" or not.

Spoiler

s

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

There are no magic 2,3,4,5 year time lengths to give a coach.  The issue is that Bowles had some 1st year problems last year, he has looked 100 time worse this year than in his rookie year.  By far the biggest issue is not Todd Bowles as a head coach for me.  It is Todd bowles and his guy Rogers as Defensive 'gurus' that seem to have zero clue at all.

I would have no problem if he got fired but I can understand him getting more years but he better be a lot different next year and he better push for massive personnel changes.

agreed... but did you see him grab (cant remember, Pryor I think, maybe Mo) the linebacker by the shoulder pads and forcibly tell him to STFU after he attempted to intervene when Petty was hit late. Refreshing.

THAT emotion is what I see as lacking. I would like to see more "I am in charge" attitude and put these players in their place.

Its more an asylum than a team all too often.

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

agreed... but did you see him grab (cant remember, Pryor I think, maybe Mo) the linebacker by the shoulder pads and forcibly tell him to STFU after he attempted to intervene when Petty was hit late. Refreshing.

THAT emotion is what I see as lacking. I would like to see more "I am in charge" attitude and put these players in their place.

Its more an asylum than a team all too often.

I caught that as well, and if I recall correctly, I believe that was actually Lee that it happened with.  While an isolated incident like that isn't enough to really change your views, I have to admit I was kind of happy to see the reactions from both of them.  Nice to see a defensive player being emotionally invested enough to get pissed at seeing his QB be given a cheap shot, but at the same time, you obviously don't want him doing something stupid, so the coach stepping in to keep it from becoming a problem is good as well.

Again, won't really change my views on anyone, but it was a moment there that told you these guys actually gave a sh*t, which was nice.  Now, you know... if they could all just not suck at their jobs.

Archived