Todd Bowles = Mike Singletary

Jetster

I finally figured out who Bowles is similar to & the reason we can not go into 2017 and waste another year with this guy & the staff he brought in with him. 

MIKE SINGLETARY!

The similarities are scary! Old school NFL ex-players, both have won Super Bowls as players, both disciplinarians who lost control of their teams. Both defensive players whose respective defenses are horrific. I agree with many fans here that changing coaches every 2 years is a recipe for disaster but I'm trying hard to make a list of Todd Bowles redeeming qualities & I got nothing! Zip! Nada! I don't like his demeaner on the sideline, I don't like that he barely talks to anyone during the game, I don't like that he starts underperforming or players who have clearly quit on him, I don't like his in game decisions, I hate how he goes into a shell at the end of the half, I hate that he named Fitz the starter while not even under contract, I hate that he let Mo & Sheldon skip MANY meetings before disciplining them. I honestly can't find 2 qualities as a head coach that I admire? I don't think I have ever seen the Jets get blown out so many times in the 1st half. We've have 4 wins & 2 are against teams that have won 2 games, by a total of 9 points, 6 of those coming in an overtime win. This is worse then the Kotite 1 win year because we didn't have 8 guys paid as highly as our veterans.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

I finally figured out who Bowles is similar to & the reason we can not go into 2017 and waste another year with this guy & the staff he brought in with him. 

MIKE SINGLETARY!

The similarities are scary! Old school NFL ex-players, both have won Super Bowls as players, both disciplinarians who lost control of their teams. Both defensive players whose respective defenses are horrific. I agree with many fans here that changing coaches every 2 years is a recipe for disaster but I'm trying hard to make a list of Todd Bowles redeeming qualities & I got nothing! Zip! Nada! I don't like his demeaner on the sideline, I don't like that he barely talks to anyone during the game, I don't like that he starts underperforming or players who have clearly quit on him, I don't like his in game decisions, I hate how he goes into a shell at the end of the half, I hate that he named Fitz the starter while not even under contract, I hate that he let Mo & Sheldon skip MANY meetings before disciplining them. I honestly can't find 2 qualities as a head coach that I admire? I don't think I have ever seen the Jets get blown out so many times in the 1st half. We've have 4 wins & 2 are against teams that have won 2 games, by a total of 9 points, 6 of those coming in an overtime win. This is worse then the Kotite 1 win year because we didn't have 8 guys paid as highly as our veterans.

My memories of Singletary were of a passionate man on the sideline.  That is not Bowles.  Vernon Davis in fact counts the Singletary benching as the single best thing that ever happened to him.

I dont see any players looking at Bowles as a true mentor.

Bowles simply is awful...

28 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

My memories of Singletary were of a passionate man on the sideline.  That is not Bowles.  Vernon Davis in fact counts the Singletary benching as the single best thing that ever happened to him.

I dont see any players looking at Bowles as a true mentor.

Bowles simply is awful...

I wasn't talking about his sideline demeanor, I'm talking about coaching ability & getting players motivated. He embarrassed Vernon Davis into being a better player, that was Vernon Davis rising after being publically shamed in front of the whole stadium being told to go to the locker room. That won't work after you gave Mo 86 million or Revis all his money (Revis knows he's being cut after this season & he's already protecting his assets (himself) for another contract. I don't blame Bowles for not benching him, force him to go out their & embarrass himself to the nation. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Other than the fact that they're both former players, this comparison makes no sense.

You really are an idiot! How about the similarities are they can't coach & players have quit on them, they were both defensive players, they were unproven coordinators, oh & their both African Americans. I already gave you their playing day similarities. Do you just always try to be condescending in your stupid retorts?

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

You really are an idiot! How about the similarities are they can't coach & players have quit on them, they were both defensive players, they were unproven coordinators, oh & their both African Americans. I already gave you their playing day similarities. Do you just always try to be condescending in your stupid retorts?

Not always, but most of the time, yeah.

Again, I don't understand the fans talking about firing a coach every 2 years. When was the last time a Jets HC was fired after 2 years? Kotite? If anything, the Jets keep bad coaches too long. If you have a glaringly incompetent coach you get rid of him immediately

14 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

At least Singletary showed emotion.  Bowles looks like he's about to fall asleep most of the time

Showing emotion literally has no impact at all on competency as a coach. None.

It also doesn't necessarily suggest that emo coach cares more than non-emo coach. It just illustrates that there are personality archetypes that internalize emotions, and others that do not. I don't care how emotions are expressed. I care about competency. His job is to build a winning program, not flail about on the sidelines to placate simple-minded fans into accepting failure because at least the coach threw a fit.

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Other than the fact that they're both former players, this comparison makes no sense.

Oh, there's one other similarity.

Let's face it. The people who always try to make these comparisons never seem to have a black player/coach remind them of anyone other than other black player/coach. It's especially gratuitous when black QBs are being discussed.

56 minutes ago, Jetster said:

MIKE SINGLETARY!

Singletary was a fiery guy and Bowles is anything but. I think the problem with Bowles - and the coach I think he most resembles, Rich Kotite - is that he trusts the players to be men and to 'play hard' and he doesn't recognize when they give false effort. We see it from the stands or on TV but apparently he doesn't see when a player like Marcus Williams makes an attempted "tackle" that he really wasn't trying to make the tackle. He is to much of a 'players coach' and I don't see him changing. Bowles may actually be a good coach, but he is in the wrong situation because Jets players will ALWAYS lay down when given the opportunity. The Jets HAVE ALWAYS needed a tough guy to motivate them. No players coach has EVER succeeded with Gang Green.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It also doesn't necessarily suggest that emo coach cares more than non-emo coach. It just illustrates that there are personality archetypes that internalize emotions, and others that do not. I don't care how emotions are expressed. I care about competency. His job is to build a winning program, not flail about on the sidelines to placate simple-minded fans into accepting failure because at least the coach threw a fit.

Well Bowels is grossly incompetent too so you can check that box

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It isn't simply the lack of emotion it is the lack of recognition. Bowles does not see when players give false effort. That is why he trots the same underachievers out there game after game. If it was me, Revis, Richardson and Pryor would have their own little knitting circle ON THE BENCH. None of them would see the field except from behind the white line. Believe it or not players are shamed by their peers when benched and it IS a motivator. Bowles however shows a reluctance to benching guys except for the token benching of Mo and Richardson. He should have done more, and I don't think he can change his stripes. Another year of Bowles is just another wasted season.

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

It isn't simply the lack of emotion it is the lack of recognition. Bowles does not see when players give false effort. That is why he trots the same underachievers out there game after game. If it was me, Revis, Richardson and Pryor would have their own little knitting circle ON THE BENCH. None of them would see the field except from behind the white line. Believe it or not players are shamed by their peers when benched and it IS a motivator. Bowles however shows a reluctance to benching guys except for the token benching of Mo and Richardson. He should have done more, and I don't think he can change his stripes. Another year of Bowles is just another wasted season.

Bowles literally looks like he's drooling on himself half the time.  I think he might be retarded or suffer a TBI

12 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

This is a fair hypothesis, but has nothing to do with "showing emotion" and really shouldn't be folded into the discussion of emotion. I think what you point out here is far bigger an issue than the "show emotion" narrative.

Archived