Jets Free Agent Targets????

slowmoe57

This team is so far from winning they don't need to get in any big-name bidding wars.  I agree that the value of free agency is dwindling.  This league is all about finding that one QB who can lead the team and then drafting talent around him.  Only when you have those 2 things in place is spending in free agency worth it.  If Woody is going to force it and try to be relevant next season then we are doomed.

9 hours ago, varjet said:

I agree with this, but who knows who Cleveland wants to buy.  I do think though that if the Browns are picking 1 and 12 and playing moneyball, I don't know if they are bidding for Glennon.  I could be wrong.

There are really 4 drafts-

1-New players

2-Your current players when their contracts expire

3-FA players off of the first contracts

4-Fill in the gap players if you are competing.

5-the negative draft-who you cut when not worth it.

On 4, the Jets are rebuilding.  Hopefully they don't sign any.  These are the Forte and Revis signings that backfired, among others.

On 1, I leave it to Mac, but I prefer BAP, within reason, understanding that the Jets have some serious needs at LT, CB (2+), S (2+).

On 2, we signed Winters.  Then fill in.

On 5, I am a proponent of cutting veterans who are basically declining when in doubt, particularly if they free up cap room.  So if the Jets do free up cap room....

Which brings us to 3-here I would try and sign an LT, CB, S (Jefferson) and maybe Glennon at QB.  Yes, that will cost alot of money, but hopefully they can free alot of money.  I think they are better off freeing money and signing players like this, and then draft and sign filler, than stick with what they have.

In this draft, they are likely not drafting an LT that can start, even if they draft a CB they could use another good one, same thing with S (Gilcrist and Pryor could both go), and even if they draft a QB, they have a starter and backup.

So for a team that is rebuilding, I support trying to find Carpenter-like players in the second draft than sifting for second tier players.

Yes, this makes the most sense.  They have to learn from history.  I will always refer back to when the Jets elected to keep players Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis while on their decline over players like James Farrior.  Yes there is sentimental value to the older players but the reality is they should say thank you for what you have done for us but it is time to move on (Revis, Mangold, Harris)-This was very hard to say but reality.

Being able to find those FA contributors like Carpenter on 2nd contracts is key.  They have already learned how to act and practice in the NFL and provide young needed experience to a roster adding in the draft picks should build this team.

I feel we won't get adequate play from our pass rushers currently on the roster nor should we wait to develop one. I'm not into big spending, however we should be aggressive in solving this problem as it creates a terrible ripple effect. Having Coples past years and Richardson last year was a complete fail and although we're rebuilding I feel the need to get a player who can perform right away. Not so much to win now but to help out those we're developing around them with at least above average production as it's been way below bar.

I wouldn't even touch Jones and his price tag. JPP coming of surgery would also be too high. A guy like Melvin Ingram would be on the top of my list.

There's a bunch of low level CBs after Logan Ryan, Trumaine Johnson, A.J. Bouye and Stephon Gilmore, such as Prince Amukamara, Morris Claiborne, Dre Kirkpatrick, Ross Cockrell and Captain Munnerlyn. The first 3 low level guys have been one hit wonders after being selected in the 1st round but I would take a chance on one of the three. With my preference being Prince who played great under a 1 year prove contract under the Jags.

On offense I would take a flier on Colts, TE, Jack Doyle who did well with 59 catches for 584 yards and five touchdowns as the number two TE. Gavin Escobar is another interesting name who hasn't done much receiving as the number two TE in Dallas behing the iron man Witten. I wouldn't mind bringing hm in to compete along with Doyle and ASJ.

Therefore I would be satisfied coming out of FA with Jack Doyle (TE), Melvin Ingram (OLB) and Prince Amukamara (CB). That's 3 major needs addressed before the draft. I have little clue regarding how the FO feel about theses QBs. What ever extra money created by cutting our own should go toward extending some young pieces. We should gamble on Wesley Johnson and Marcus Williams and see if they'll sign long-term contracts above their RFA tender. Enunwa is another candidate I would look to extend with cap room.

23 hours ago, slowmoe57 said:

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

-- consider if they have money to spend and if the price is right :

~ ~ CB Stephon Gilmore (Bills) - If the Jets don't use all of their cap room on a QB, they might use it at this position to begin to shore up a secondary that was a mess last season and to replace Darrelle Revis, who will likely either be released or moved to safety next season. The 26-year-old Gilmore is the best corner on the market, coming off his first Pro Bowl and a five-interception season. The market for top corners is expensive -- just ask the Giants, who signed Janoris Jenkins to a five-year, $62.5 million deal (with $28.8 million guaranteed) last March. It sounds like the Bills want him back, but Gilmore has sent signals that he intends to look around, explore his options and see what his value is around the league.

..that's it !

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

I would take the first two on the list, but I don't want the Jets to go stupid with free agency, even if they have the money. Better to build through the draft and bring in a few key FA's. Look at the dysfunction the last two free agent spending sprees brought. 

I'll throw a name out there that may not cost a lot, salary cap-wise, but could be helpful to this offense in a position that usually flies under the radar.

Kyle Juszczyk.  He is only 26 years old and coming off a pro bowl season, so it might get expensive for a fullback... maybe $2.3M a year at the most and that's overpaying.  Highest paid fullback today is Anthony Sherman at $2.1M.  If Morton runs his west coast offense, he is going to need a fullback which they do not currently have on the roster.  The importance of the fullback has gone away over the years but it used to be a very vital position in the west coast offense.  The fullback is a key position in Harbaugh's offense, New Orleans just-resigned 3-time pro bowler John Kuhn and the fullback was often used during Morton's tenure at USC.  He also contributes on special teams.

Not a single 1 of these free agents interest me in the least .  When you're rebuilding a team, it's counter productive to drop big contracts only to go out and take on even bigger contracts unless the players you are adding are of the all-pro caliber .

Gilmore is a pretty good player at a pretty big position of need. It is also wise to at least patch holes before the draft.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

This team has holes all over the place. Practically everywhere but the DL. We are NOWHERE near contention (as in Title contention, not Playoff contention). I don't understand why people are wanting us to spend $30-40+ million on free agency on a team that has zero chance at a title for at least the next 2 seasons (we have no QB, won't win a SB with a rookie QB either). 

They need to do a complete rebuild. Tear it down, gut it, and build it back up the right way. All of the vets that are starting to decline or have no use to us for a rebuild should be gone. Cut them, trade them, I don't care...get rid of them. The guys who can't be ditched because of their contracts, keep them as is- don't try to restructure anyone, that will only hurt us in the future. Hurting us now doesn't matter, we don't need money as we shouldn't be spending any anyways. 

Mangold, Gilchrist, Giacomini, Clady, Harris, Revis, Folk, and I'm sure a couple others can all be cut with minimal consequences. Richardson, Marshall, Decker, and maybe Skrine and Wilkerson (depending on what can be done to their contracts to help facilitate a trade) should be on the trade block. 

Free agency wise, I'd love to spend absolutely nothing, but we'll have roster spots to fill and a depth chart to build, so that's not realistic. What I'd argue for is grabbing cheap, mediocre players that can fill a hole but not tie up future commitments. Brian Hoyer and Josh McCown at QB for example, one of them should be cheap as crap and will perform better than what we got this past season more than likely. Not that I'm looking for them to be good, I'm just wanting someone there to fill up the depth chart, and we had horrendously bad QB play last year, so it won't be hard to beat...even if Petty/Hack is starting. 

Don't tie up future roster spots and future funds on temporary solutions. Understand that we are going to suck for the next 2-3 years (minimum). Build up the roster via the draft as much as possible. Get more draft picks, spend them wisely. Draft Best Player Available. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. The stronger the overall roster, the more likely we are to succeed with a rookie/young QB. 

This isn't rocket science, people just aren't patient enough to actually stick to it. They feel rushed, they feel obligated to win-now, they see a player on the market they love and sign him when they shouldn't, and they falsely believe they're a couple pieces away and decide to go all in... STICK TO YOUR GUNS, cut the dead-weight, and load up on draft picks. 

We've seen enough losing and enough mediocrity as Jets fans, it's time to do something different. The next few years will be hard to watch, and we'll be the butt of even more jokes than we were with Rex here, but it will be worth it in 4-5 years when we have a solid team up and down the roster, and potentially a franchise QB for once. Just don't wuss out. 

Archived