Contract Expired - The End Of Ryan Fitzpatrick

SAR I

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And what part of this nonsense makes the Fitz deal good or even acceptable.  Not seeing that part of the statement.  No one is picking on poor little RF.  You play QB, you hold out for 12 mil, you put on your big boy pants and take the criticism when you suck as much as he did, when you are the biggest reason a 10 win team goes down like a ball of fire.  You dont blame a rehabbing Mo or a aging HOF player.

Northing about the Fitz signing had anything to do with how good Geno was or wasnt.  He was outplaying Fitz, from all accounts by a large margin when IK ended his season.  

Looking back at what we know now, of course the resigning of Fitzpatrick looks questionable.  But at the time it was the best decision we could make.  His 10-win level of play, Geno's meltdown, and Petty's lack of emergence made it the only option for a team with a rejuvenated fanbase that looked like it was only one win away from the playoffs.  If we overpaid, too bad, win some negotiations, lose some negotiations.  Fitz cost $3M in 2015 and had the best season of any Jets QB since Testaverde and Namath.  Where's the praise for that?  Fitzpatrick still only averaged $7.6M per season, an NFL bargain.

And clearly everything about resigning Fitzpatrick had to do with Geno.  We overpaid the guy, why?  Because Geno was so good?  We only signed the guy for one season, why?  Because Geno had such a bright future?  Fitz came back for one year to try to get some magic back and fight for a playoff berth while letting the redshirt kids get their learning curve out of the way to prepare for 2017.  The risk wasn't that Fitzpatrick would fail in 2016, it's what he would succeed, we'd then have to give him another overpriced one-year contract.  The team took a shot in 2016, it didn't work, and now we are free of both Fitzpatrick and Geno and have two young redshirt kids ready to compete this summer.  I'm excited to see Petty and Hackenberg next year.  Should be fun.

This isn't rocket science.  There was a strategy here. 

SAR I

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

The Jets have a few trades to make for draft picks. The picks can be for 2017 or 2018. Petty should be one of them. He is nearly as old as Smith with much less experience. 2017 needs the Jets to get a FA QB or two at reasonable prices. 

I dont trust Macc to rebuild this team. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

1.  No one is saying that 2015 was some amazing moment in Jets history but it was a hell of a lot more fun going 10-6 than watching Geno Smith go 4-12 again.

2.  Long term, the 2015 season proved just how bad a quarterback Geno Smith is which empowered Mike Maccagnan to draft Christinan Hackenberg who may turn out to be very good.

In layman's terms, the best thing about the Fitzpatrick era is that it ended the Geno error.

SAR I

But yet you talk about 2015 as if it's the greatest 10-6 season of all time. We won nothing of note with Fitzpatrick having his best season. No division title, no playoffs, no championship. That "amazing" 5 game stretch led to nothing both in the short and long term. 

I'd rather go 4-12 while trying to develop a potential long term quarterback and developing young players at other positions, over veteran bandaids who are good for 1 season only to go 5-11 with no answer at the quarterback position bad contracts from veterans. 

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

as amazing as it sounds, all of the losing for the raiders and browns has them positioned better than the jets now.  the raiders suffered the losing without panicking, and there was never a whisper about Hue Jacksons job security

no one tries to lose, but you can resist giving a big name player a dumb deal so young kids can be developed by playing

Bingo. 

No one wants to suck, but if you know you're going to you might as well suck the right way and build for the future.  Nothing matters until 2020 when Brady and Belichick retire anyway, we have the luxury of time.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, August said:

But yet you talk about 2015 as if it's the greatest 10-6 season of all time. We won nothing of note with Fitzpatrick having his best season. No division title, no playoffs, no championship. That "amazing" 5 game stretch led to nothing both in the short and long term.

I'd rather go 4-12 while trying to develop a potential long term quarterback and developing young players at other positions, over veteran bandaids who are good for 1 season only to go 5-11 with no answer at the quarterback position bad contracts from veterans. 

In the 6 years that have transpired since losing the AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh, the only glimmer of hope and excitement we fans have seen has been Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2015 season.  We surprised the league.  It was fun.  It didn't get us hats and t-shirts but it was better than watching Geno Smith go 6-10.

We agree on the no-bandaids strategy.  2017 needs to be Petty and Hackenberg fighting for playing time a-la Todd and Robinson in 1978.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Looking back at what we know now, of course the resigning of Fitzpatrick looks questionable.  But at the time it was the best decision we could make.  His 10-win level of play, Geno's meltdown, and Petty's lack of emergence made it the only option for a team with a rejuvenated fanbase that looked like it was only one win away from the playoffs.  If we overpaid, too bad, win some negotiations, lose some negotiations.  Fitz cost $3M in 2015 and had the best season of any Jets QB since Testaverde and Namath.  Where's the praise for that?  Fitzpatrick still only averaged $7.6M per season, an NFL bargain.

And clearly everything about resigning Fitzpatrick had to do with Geno.  We overpaid the guy, why?  Because Geno was so good?  We only signed the guy for one season, why?  Because Geno had such a bright future?  Fitz came back for one year to try to get some magic back and fight for a playoff berth while letting the redshirt kids get their learning curve out of the way to prepare for 2017.  The risk wasn't that Fitzpatrick would fail in 2016, it's what he would succeed, we'd then have to give him another overpriced one-year contract.  The team took a shot in 2016, it didn't work, and now we are free of both Fitzpatrick and Geno and have two young redshirt kids ready to compete this summer.  I'm excited to see Petty and Hackenberg next year.  Should be fun.

SAR I

There was no Geno meltdown.  Pettys development was known until after Fitz was signed.  

Fitz was paid 3 mil because that's what he was making on the Houston deal, nothing to praise.  7.6 mil for what he gave us, on average, whatever that's supposed to do for us, was too much for a QB who missed the playoffs two times, his entire career actually.  You can spin this exercise any way you want, he wasn't a   12mil player last season.  I could care less how much his average is off of his more justified Houston deal.  

Imagree, they took a shot.  Problem is that given his 10'year history it was doomed from day 1.  A failed strategy 

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

After May, the signing made no sense at all. An NFL franchise who signs their starting QB, a QB who never made the playoffs a day before PS is bound for the lower depths of the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

There was no Geno meltdown.  Pettys development was known until after Fitz was signed.  

Fitz was paid 3 mil because that's what he was making on the Houston deal, nothing to praise.  7.6 mil for what he gave us, on average, whatever that's supposed to do for us, was too much for a QB who missed the playoffs two times, his entire career actually.  You can spin this exercise any way you want, he wasn't a   12mil player last season.  I could care less how much his average is off of his more justified Houston deal.  

Imagree, they took a shot.  Problem is that given his 10'year history it was doomed from day 1.  A failed strategy 

...and a failed season

4 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

...and a failed season

I love the thought process that Fitz got us 10 wins on his own but Geno would have maybe led us to only 6 wins.

As if anyone should have predicted Fitz would win 4 games more than he ever has in a 10 year career.  While Geno couldn't win 2 more games than he did as a rookie thrown into the fire only 2 seasons earlier. 

4 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

...and a failed season

The season was over before it started, most had us at 8-8, I had us at 6-10.  Didn't matter who the quarterback was, we didn't have a guy capable of winning with that team and that schedule.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In the 6 years that have transpired since losing the AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh, the only glimmer of hope and excitement we fans have seen has been Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2015 season.  We surprised the league.  It was fun.  It didn't get us hats and t-shirts but it was better than watching Geno Smith go 6-10.

We agree on the no-bandaids strategy.  2017 needs to be Petty and Hackenberg fighting for playing time a-la Todd and Robinson in 1978.

SAR I

I would've enjoyed 2015 more if it were a young team and even if it fell short that year, you could rationalize it by saying they're young they'll be around for a time and be competitive. The 2015 Jets had a shaky foundation and was mainly built like a house of cards. In other words there was no long term stability with that team. And it crashed as expected the very next year. We wasted 2 years all because of impatient fans and media who couldn't handle a rebuild, so they brought in a new regime who immediately made quick fix moves for the short term. Now we're in the same position as 2014 but at least Geno>>Petty and Hackenberg and at least we had a clear direction. Right now there are far more questions than answers with this team. 2015 was "fun" for the short term but you're missing the big picture, that season long term did us no favors when you're right back to that same position a year later, but in some ways much worse. 

11 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

After May, the signing made no sense at all. An NFL franchise who signs their starting QB, a QB who never made the playoffs a day before PS is bound for the lower depths of the NFL. 

Also let me add that one of the understated reasons for the Jets problems this past year was the quarterback position and how it was handled. Fitzpatrick was undoubtedly the guy on that team, but Fitzpatrick's absence allowed Geno to reclaim that team he actually had supporters in that locker room who felt he should be the starter. Then Fitzpatrick waltz back in at the last minute and that created a division. The right decision would've been a competition and if say Fitzpatrick beats him out then guys would've been fine with that. But just handing Fitzpatrick back the job while the guy they've been training with all offseason was there putting in work sent an horrendous message early on. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I love the thought process that Fitz got us 10 wins on his own but Geno would have maybe led us to only 6 wins.

As if anyone should have predicted Fitz would win 4 games more than he ever has in a 10 year career.  While Geno couldn't win 2 more games than he did as a rookie thrown into the fire only 2 seasons earlier. 

Fitzpatrick got the respect of the players, especially veterans like Decker and Marshall who had nothing but disdain for Geno Smith and his dick pics. 

No way Geno could perform like Fitzpatrick did, you Geno freaks tend to forget just how well Fitzpatrick played in 2015.  Geno didn't have that in him.  He's gutless.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, August said:

Now we're in the same position as 2014 but at least Geno>>Petty and Hackenberg and at least we had a clear direction. Right now there are far more questions than answers with this team. 2015 was "fun" for the short term but you're missing the big picture, that season long term did us no favors when you're right back to that same position a year later, but in some ways much worse. 

On this we agree, the Jets always have terrible timing when it comes to a fluke decent season clouding judgement.  O'Brien, Coslet, Testaverde, Edwards, Pennington, Ryan, these guys all stuck around a season or two longer than they should have simply because we thought we were turning some corner.  Funny thing is, since Woody's owned the team and with all of Tannenbaum's free agent acquisitions it almost always worked, we almost always made the playoffs on the upswing as soon as a change at HC or QB took place.

It's why so many on JN think that happy days are right around the corner.  They're not this time.  Our redshirt twins need validation.  2017 is the time for it.

SAR I

so sad I posted before the season fitz was hot garbage and should never be allowed to return or start for the jets-anybody that goes to games saw first hand he cant throw the ball

I am just a dumb life long fan and when I created the thread I was blasted saying how I think I know more than the gm blah blah blah

this past year was the worst I have experienced as fan and I have been going for 40 years since I was a kid-I would LOVE to be able to get my money back from my PSL and just move on at this point

the team as constructed with a terrible gm and a terrible coach with bad/lazy players will never go any place-the only hope is at some point it gets blown up an real football people get put in charge. Winners win as seen with Theo and the Cubs-losers lose as seen with the JETS

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do you bother to entertain the dribble of that person ? Resist the devil and he will flee from you . The only way I get to see anything this person post is when folks respond to his dribble .

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lol, that is a big part of the damage control to their rep on the board...

37 minutes ago, August said:

Also let me add that one of the understated reasons for the Jets problems this past year was the quarterback position and how it was handled. Fitzpatrick was undoubtedly the guy on that team, but Fitzpatrick's absence allowed Geno to reclaim that team he actually had supporters in that locker room who felt he should be the starter. Then Fitzpatrick waltz back in at the last minute and that created a division. The right decision would've been a competition and if say Fitzpatrick beats him out then guys would've been fine with that. But just handing Fitzpatrick back the job while the guy they've been training with all offseason was there putting in work sent an horrendous message early on. 

Spot on bro

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

On this we agree, the Jets always have terrible timing when it comes to a fluke decent season clouding judgement.  O'Brien, Coslet, Testaverde, Edwards, Pennington, Ryan, these guys all stuck around a season or two longer than they should have simply because we thought we were turning some corner.  Funny thing is, since Woody's owned the team and with all of Tannenbaum's free agent acquisitions it almost always worked, we almost always made the playoffs on the upswing as soon as a change at HC or QB took place.

It's why so many on JN think that happy days are right around the corner.  They're not this time.  Our redshirt twins need validation.  2017 is the time for it.

SAR I

This organization has been wasting time since the end of the 2011 season. They tried to squeeze one more year in 2012 and flopped as expected. Then they finally decide to rebuild in 2013, but they keep Rex when they should've either fired Tannenbaum and Rex or kept them both and gave them another year or two to turn things around. Instead they keep Rex, but then they overachieve with an 8-8 record, fans expectations jump, but are disappointed because Idzik didn't spend a ton of money instead keeping up with the rebuild as he was not blinded or fooled by a 8-8 season. They predictably had a bad season but at least we were losing with a purpose, we were developing a young quarterback and developing young talent and we had cap space and a nice amount of draft picks. Had we continued the rebuild that began in 2013 I believe we would be in better shape today than we're in now. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

SMh. What exactly is the sense in keeping Petty a 4th rounder who will never be the starter here? He is nearly as old as Smith without the experience. The Jets need to trade Petty and upgrade by adding Smith and Kaepernick at reasonable prices. Upgrade being the key word here.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How was paying a QB who sucked as bad as much as Fitz sucked for 12 mil a good deal?  Explain that one to us.  What makes it a good deal, that its not 20mil?  25? He ultimately was overpaid, they could have sucked for a lot less money with any number of QBs, starting with a couple that were already on the roster.  He was overpaid not only because of what he did in 2016 but because his history said that the Jets should have ignored 2015, he was going to fail in year two as he did everywhere he signed before.  They could have a much more productive player on their roster for a 2nd year now.  This isnt hard to understand, that you have an unnatural love of Fitz and insist that he should he paid like a franchise QB when he as far from one as there is.   

My last time to rationalize with you. You have to understand market prices in the NFL. The Qb is the top paying position and if you have a starting job you're not a bum.. Fitz did not suck in 2015 and that's why the Jets gave him a low starters salary for 2016. He was actually rated in the top half of Qbs in the NFL. He did suck in 2016 and he was cut. 12 mil on a one year contract was a good deal for the Jets. They were not tied to him after 2016 except there is a cap hit due to the way the contract was structured. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

My last time to rationalize with you. You have to understand market prices in the NFL. The Qb is the top paying position and if you have a starting job you're not a bum.. Fitz did not suck in 2015 and that's why the Jets gave him a low starters salary for 2016. He was actually rated in the top half of Qbs in the NFL. He did suck in 2016 and he was cut. 12 mil on a one year contract was a good deal for the Jets. They were not tied to him after 2016 except there is a cap hit due to the way the contract was structured. 

He did not suck against bottom feeder teams in the NFL in 2015 lets not forget that. He sucked against teams with winning records in 2015 and a sucked against a much tougher schedule in 2016. Fitzpatrick was a failure here and accomplished nothing thats a fact. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He did not suck against bottom feeder teams in the NFL in 2015 lets not forget that. He sucked against teams with winning records in 2015 and a sucked against a much tougher schedule in 2016. Fitzpatrick was a failure here and accomplished nothing thats a fact. 

Too many here look at the gaudy numbers instead of SB wins

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The season was over before it started, most had us at 8-8, I had us at 6-10.  Didn't matter who the quarterback was, we didn't have a guy capable of winning with that team and that schedule.

SAR I

Pure nonsense.  Every single so called expert on NFLN had us in the playoffs. 

You have had the season lost before it started but few thought it was lost, even if they thought we weren't s SB team.   As usually seems to be the case, that tough schedule wasn't all that tough with Seattle, Ravens and the Cards beatable teams.

52 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Lol, that is a big part of the damage control to their rep on the board...

More of this nonsense.

Please show me these mythical Ryan Fitzpatrick fans.  You seem to claim that there are a ton of them out there doing damage control.  Name names.  Who are these people?  Who stood up and claimed Ryan Fitzpatrick was the answer to our prayers and going to lead us to a 12-4 season besides joewilly12?  Or is that who you are referring to?

SAR I

29 minutes ago, August said:

This organization has been wasting time since the end of the 2011 season. They tried to squeeze one more year in 2012 and flopped as expected. Then they finally decide to rebuild in 2013, but they keep Rex when they should've either fired Tannenbaum and Rex or kept them both and gave them another year or two to turn things around. Instead they keep Rex, but then they overachieve with an 8-8 record, fans expectations jump, but are disappointed because Idzik didn't spend a ton of money instead keeping up with the rebuild as he was not blinded or fooled by a 8-8 season. They predictably had a bad season but at least we were losing with a purpose, we were developing a young quarterback and developing young talent and we had cap space and a nice amount of draft picks. Had we continued the rebuild that began in 2013 I believe we would be in better shape today than we're in now. 

Agreed.

I thought Maccagnan had successfully taken the first steps on the rare 'rebuild on the fly' concept in 2015 but as seen by these same players performances in 2016 it was all a mirage from an easy schedule.  I knew we couldn't do better than 8-8 last year, but I never imagined how the head coach would be exposed and how the so-called leaders on defense would quit like that.  The reason for the hopelessness for the 2017 season isn't the 10-6 record or the subsequent 5-11 record; it's about lack of effort and players out and out quitting, it's unfathomable.  Question is, is it recoverable, at least with this head coach.

SAR I

30 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

SMh. What exactly is the sense in keeping Petty a 4th rounder who will never be the starter here? He is nearly as old as Smith without the experience. The Jets need to trade Petty and upgrade by adding Smith and Kaepernick at reasonable prices. Upgrade being the key word here.

Do you think we've seen enough from Petty to call him a dog?  Not saying he's not, but I'm not sure, he inherited a team in chaos, the injuries and the quit level were epic.  I'd like to see he and Hackenberg get a full mini camp, training camp, and preseason schedule with the new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, with the full confidence of the organization and see what we've got in 2017.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Fitzpatrick got the respect of the players, especially veterans like Decker and Marshall who had nothing but disdain for Geno Smith and his dick pics. 

No way Geno could perform like Fitzpatrick did, you Geno freaks tend to forget just how well Fitzpatrick played in 2015.  Geno didn't have that in him.  He's gutless.

SAR I

Give me a quote of players who had disdain for Smith.  You say this all the time, making up as you go along.  When Marshall gushed over Smith it was because he talks up any QB.  Until it's your guy, then it's something different.  It's dick pics, which Marshall wasn't here for.  And never was a problem when Sanchez was caught with his pants down.  Then again, another of your guys.  

Geno performed better than Fitz in his one game before getting injured.  He put up better than Fitz numbers vs the Raiders the year before.  There is absolutely nothing that says he couldn't play like a middle to bottom the league QB like Fitz.  But you'll continue to alternate taking him from a given that's not good into a franchise QB whicher suits your endless string of posts.  I didn't forget how he played in 15, I remember how the only teams he beat either had a losing record or sat a huge chunk of their team.  I didn't forget how with the payoffs there for the taking he shlt the bed in Bufallo.  I remember how at the 14, a FG giving them the lead the idiot tosses a blind pass for and INT costing us the game, a playoff spot. 

I tried to be positive and upbeat going into the season after the beating I took in 2015 for not supporting the Ryan Fitzpatrick rah rah fan club when I saw through the smoke and mirrors I predicted a positive season like any diehard hardcore Jets fan would do I never want to see my team lose ever. We are a bottom feeder NFL team without a legitimate QB,and our GM and head coach are under the microscope going into the 2017 season. Ryan Fitzpatrick is far from gone he's costing us $5 million against the cap in 2017 thanks Macc. i never sell out on my team. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I didn't think he would have a good second season either, but with this franchise, media and fans control the owner, and they would have whined forever if Fitz was not resigned.

Truth be told many are still whining and are saddened he's no longer a NY Jet. 

Archived