The Uninformed Fan: Warfish Mock Draft 2017

Warfish

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I'd go Trubisky or Watson this year. If they don't show anything, move on.  If the Jets don't have the #1 pick next year, and Darnold solidifies himself as the next great QB, then I offer whoever has that top pick Leonard Williams and our first round pick for the next 5 years to move up. F*ck it. 

The problem is that it will be pretty close to impossible to "to show something" with the current roster.  This won't be like us breaking in Sanchez with #1 defense and running game.  So you are wasting the ##6 pick in the draft if you take Watson or Trubisky and you turn around and take a QB again next year.  

It is too late to do anything to change the team's outcome very much right now.  Take a corner stone player, like we did with L. Williams two years ago.  At this point, it looks like a defender based on the prospect rankings right now.

And what people don't realize yet is that there are 3 QBs that are potentially better that anyone in this draft or the last.  Obviously with Darnold, skies the limit but Rosen of UCLA and Allen of Wyoming are considered 1st rounders next year.  I believe there is a link from Allen to Carson Wendy's offensive coaches from ND.

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Taking a QB in the first round this year will all but guarantee that we don't draft a QB in the first next year.  I'm not saying don't draft one if they truly love one (I personally wouldn't with this class, but if they do...so be it), but everyone should be ready to ride or die with that guy for at least 3 years, barring a Manziel-esque tenure (life problems & on the field problems).

At this point, if I am Woody, I forbid them from drafting a QB.  They obviously can't identify a quality QB prospect based on Macc's tenure here and in Houston.  

At least next year, There should be more of a consensus on which QB to draft.  If he's still here to make the pick in 2018.  I would like to think he is safe but there will be plenty of opportunity for his draft classes to perform this year.  If all we get is L. Williams, then why keep him around.

Throw another not ready QB onto the pile with the other two guys we already have that we still know nothing about?  I would prefer we don't use a draft pick on a QB this year, spend the year learning what we have in the two guys on our roster and reevaluate next year when the QB crop is stronger.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

1) couldn't beat out a JAG for two years 2) only started 13 games.

There's a cheat having a HOF Career for a 5 time world Champion team who couldn't beat out 2 jags and didn't start as many games in college as Trubisky  .  Trubisky played in a shot-gun offense, but it wasn't a 1 read offense and the QB had to make adjustments and read the entire field . The Kid is not Day 1 ready, but he's closer than Watson and players like Goff or  just about any player from this draft .

If, and there's a chance that he won't be, but if he's there, and the Jets really don't have a good feel for Hackenberg, he should be the pick .  I would lovo trade down and add a few more picks, but passing on this guy for a few picks might not be a smart idea .

40 minutes ago, Pcola said:

At this point, if I am Woody, I forbid them from drafting a QB.  They obviously can't identify a quality QB prospect based on Macc's tenure here and in Houston.  

At least next year, There should be more of a consensus on which QB to draft.  If he's still here to make the pick in 2018.  I would like to think he is safe but there will be plenty of opportunity for his draft classes to perform this year.  If all we get is L. Williams, then why keep him around.

If your Woody, and you believe they can't identify a quality QB prospect, you fire them immediately, you don't tell them not to draft a QB that they like.

18 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

There's a cheat having a HOF Career for a 5 time world Champion team who couldn't beat out 2 jags and didn't start as many games in college as Trubisky  .  Trubisky played in a shot-gun offense, but it wasn't a 1 read offense and the QB had to make adjustments and read the entire field . The Kid is not Day 1 ready, but he's closer than Watson and players like Goff or  just about any player from this draft .

If, and there's a chance that he won't be, but if he's there, and the Jets really don't have a good feel for Hackenberg, he should be the pick .  I would lovo trade down and add a few more picks, but passing on this guy for a few picks might not be a smart idea .

Drew Henson played in the NFL. I don't think the guy Trubisky sat behind even got drafted. I don't have strong feelings about him one way or the other, I was just responding to the question as why people may not like him as a prospect.

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

Drew Henson played in the NFL. I don't think the guy Trubisky sat behind even got drafted. I don't have strong feelings about him one way or the other, I was just responding to the question as why people may not like him as a prospect.

Do you called what Henson did playing in the NFL ?  I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, just stating facts and allowing those facts to speak for themselves . This is the same conversation folks are having about Hackenberg and the kid who led Penn State to the season they just had .  I always wonder why an NFL team drafts a kid that excels in a certain type of offense in college and then force him to run a completely different offense with very little experience in it. Certain people excel in certain schemes . Why was Tee Martin able to win a national Championship with the team Peyton Manning couldn't ?

NFL teams practice less than College programs and their practice sessions mandated by the rules of the P.A. are not nearly as intense .

If you take personal preference out of it, and examine the evidence, you can make a calculated decision . Watson Passed every test that was placed in front of him and did it leading with style . Trubisky did what he had to do and what he needed to do when he got his opportunity .  Place in undesirable situations and needing to score a TD with the game on the line, both these players stepped up and did the Job  .

That speaks volumes in my eyes .

1 hour ago, Stonehands said:

Throw another not ready QB onto the pile with the other two guys we already have that we still know nothing about?  I would prefer we don't use a draft pick on a QB this year, spend the year learning what we have in the two guys on our roster and reevaluate next year when the QB crop is stronger.

If you draft a not-ready QB, you get the best of both worlds.

2017:  Petty and Hack fight it out, winner starts, loser will eventually get a set of steak knives and their release prior to 2018.

2018:  Winner of Hack v. Petty retained, competed with Not-Ready-QB (say Trubisky) for the #1 job.  Winner starts.  Loser is #2.  #3 is (if possible) 1st round QB Darnold in 2018 Draft.

When you have the record we do at QB in a QB dominated league, you simply have to prioritize finding a franchise NFL QB.  I don't care how bad our CB or LB may be, there is simply no circumstance where those players can impact games like a QB can.  No QB = No Champion.

So there comes a time where dice must be rolled.  I'd say now is as good a time as any.  Petty, Hack, Trubisky (or whomever), Darnold (or whomever).

4 chances to find "the guy" over the next two-three years.  No recycled vets holding up valued roster spots or saving losing coaches asses at the cost of QB development.

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

First of all, nobody can consistently identify QB's.  You name any coach or GM, and I guarantee you they wasted time with a clear failure.

The QB position is the one that nobody has figured out.  The way to get one is to keep swinging for the fences and eventually get that guy. But you can't half-ass it either. It's the position you have to hit with an elephant gun.  You identify someone you think will make it work, and then you do everything to get that player.

Trubisky and Watson are worth taking shots on this year.  I'm still working my way through to see if any other guys are as well although there probably isn't.  I don't like Webb, I hate Kelly from Ole Miss, and I don't like Kiel.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Do you called what Henson did playing in the NFL ?  I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, just stating facts and allowing those facts to speak for themselves . This is the same conversation folks are having about Hackenberg and the kid who led Penn State to the season they just had .  I always wonder why an NFL team drafts a kid that excels in a certain type of offense in college and then force him to run a completely different offense with very little experience in it. Certain people excel in certain schemes . Why was Tee Martin able to win a national Championship with the team Peyton Manning couldn't ?

NFL teams practice less than College programs and their practice sessions mandated by the rules of the P.A. are not nearly as intense .

If you take personal preference out of it, and examine the evidence, you can make a calculated decision . Watson Passed every test that was placed in front of him and did it leading with style . Trubisky did what he had to do and what he needed to do when he got his opportunity .  Place in undesirable situations and needing to score a TD with the game on the line, both these players stepped up and did the Job  .

That speaks volumes in my eyes .

Not arguing any of this. All good points. Was just suggesting why people might be against taking the guy. In the part I highlighted, substitute "why a college coach changes" for "why an NFL team drafts" and you have a good part of Hack's story.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

2017:  Petty and Hack fight it out, winner starts, loser will eventually get a set of steak knives and their release prior to 2018.

2018:  Winner of Hack v. Petty retained, competed with Not-Ready-QB (say Trubisky) for the #1 job.  Winner starts.  Loser is #2.  #3 is (if possible) 1st round QB Darnold in 2018 Draft.

When you have the record we do at QB in a QB dominated league, you simply have to prioritize finding a franchise NFL QB.  I don't care how bad our CB or LB may be, there is simply no circumstance where those players can impact games like a QB can.  No QB = No Champion.

So there comes a time where dice must be rolled.  I'd say now is as good a time as any.  Petty, Hack, Trubisky (or whomever), Darnold (or whomever).

4 chances to find "the guy" over the next two-three years.  No recycled vets holding up valued roster spots or saving losing coaches asses at the cost of QB development.

There are two problems with that theory.  The first is, there is probably a limit to the practice reps and time a coaching staff can put into developing young QB's so you either short change someone or end up dumping them before truly finding out if they were going to make it.  But, the bigger issue is that every time you draft a QB, you can't draft something else and our team sucks at a lot of spots besides QB, so while I agree with the feeling that a QB is the most important thing, it isn't the only thing.

Post of the year. 100000000% true. Jets won't do I though

This is absolutely the right way to build a champion.

You also could have added the opportunity to trade some of these guys, depending on how they turn out.

The problem I see is that the QB this year that is takeable at 6 is Trubisky, and I don't think he is there.   The Jets will likely not have the guts to take Webb or Mahomes at 6, but they can end up the better players.

Trubisky is going to tick too many boxes and someone will take him or trade for him.  Watson's velocity is going to dk him from the NE teams.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Completely agree.

Use your first round pick on a QB every single year until you find one. The NFL's brand of football is no longer a true team sport. It is all about the QB. So don't waste your top resources on anything else but that position until you know you have one.

Archived