How the Jets turned their draft into Chris Berman at the HR derby

Gas2No99

Just now, Integrity28 said:

oh, hahaha... gotcha, i thought you were referencing a list  you may have posted elsewhere on the site, maybe another thread, in one of your longer diatribes... you know, since you think everyone reads everything you write with baited breath... :P

Why not just admit you overreacted, and then blamed your overreaction on the person to whom you overreacted? 

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The last pick in round 3, as a comp pick, is no different than an early 4th. You have to stop looking at it as a "____ rounder" and actually count off where the pick is in terms of how many players deep.

Pick 107 (the 3rd round comp) for pick 125 (the pick we got from Tampa originally) isn't a big deal. It's 18 spots. Both over 100 players into the draft. Your argument about giving up premium draft spots for bad ones is fair, but what we did this past weekend shouldn't be classified as an example of it. 

You're wrong, or at the very least, exaggerating like a woman.

Nah, I'm not wrong.  It's been presented many ways, this article does a great job of it.  Mac lost the value game with his trade backs.

In a draft class where the difference between late 1st and mid 3rd's were minimal, he opted to trade back, miss a couple of great prospects (Jordan Willis comes to mind) and then not pick another player for another 62 selections...for what?  A bunch of late round hail mary's, doubling and tripling up on positions?  That's not a good deal IMO.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I gave this analogy the other day and it's the best I have.  If Mac was playing roulette, he was going big betting on the numbers and not going safe by betting on black or red/evens or odds.  I understand the draft is largely a crap shoot but if you just look at the percentages, Mac is playing the long odds when he had a chance to play the better odds. 1-3 is where you have good odds to find players, 4-7 is where you get lucky. 

Not even close.  That analogy is way too extreme and a long way from reality.

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

if Jamal Adams was a gift from the gods and only one QB went in the top 5- why did he drop to 6?

Mitch Trubisky and Corey Davis are why.  I dont think anyone in their right mind saw that coming. 

Could you not ask this question about a ton of players?  Leo Williams for example?

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why not just admit you overreacted, and then blamed your overreaction on the person to whom you overreacted? 

Because if I'm going to make sh*t up, it'll be far more entertaining and original than that.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mitch Trubisky and Corey Davis are why.  I dont think anyone in their right mind saw that coming. 

Could you not ask this question about a ton of players?  Leo Williams for example?

Maybe the answer is strong safeties that high arent a great allocation of resources? The Titans took a WR who couldnt even work out over the "gift from the gods"

Just now, Matt39 said:

Maybe the answer is strong safeties that high arent a great allocation of resources? The Titans took a WR who couldnt even work out over the "gift from the gods"

Well sure, that too but are the Titans the model franchise to be following? 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nah, I'm not wrong.  It's been presented many ways, this article does a great job of it.  Mac lost the value game with his trade backs.

In a draft class where the difference between late 1st and mid 3rd's were minimal, he opted to trade back, miss a couple of great prospects (Jordan Willis comes to mind) and then not pick another player for another 62 selections...for what?  A bunch of late round hail mary's, doubling and tripling up on positions?  That's not a good deal IMO.

I'm aware that a couple of sources have made that argument, based on a dated tool (the draft value chart). I'm also aware of the reality that a trade requires two willing teams, and both teams don't always have the perfect amount of assets to come in on the dot re: value chart. I'm not worried about the trade backs, since they happened outside the top100.

My point, in debating you here, is that you're grossly over-stating the severity of these decisions. Did he lose a little value? Maybe. But not if he found some players with those picks. Not at all.

There's a lot to gripe about with this franchise. I try to be judicious in what level griping certain things merit. Trading back to get more picks outside the top 100 and 'losing' negligible value based on the old chart, is meh to me. No biggie. Finding players is all that matters. I don't care how he does it, as long as he does. If he fails to do that, then the pitchforks come out - but if this is the method by which he chooses to find them, then I am at least patient enough to see how he does with said method.

Otherwise, you're just complaining about unknowns. Which is usually reserved here at JN for the ******* morons.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm aware that a couple of sources have made that argument, based on a dated tool (the draft value chart). I'm also aware of the reality that a trade requires two willing teams, and both teams don't always have the perfect amount of assets to come in on the dot re: value chart. I'm not worried about the trade backs, since they happened outside the top100.

My point, in debating you here, is that you're grossly over-stating the severity of these decisions. Did he lose a little value? Maybe. But not if he found some players with those picks. Not at all.

There's a lot to gripe about with this franchise. I try to be judicious in what level griping certain things merit. Trading back to get more picks outside the top 100 and 'losing' negligible value based on the old chart, is meh to me. No biggie. Finding players is all that matters. I don't care how he does it, as long as he does. If he fails to do that, then the pitchforks come out - but if this is the method by which he chooses to find them, then I am at least patient enough to see how he does with said method.

Otherwise, you're just complaining about unknowns. Which is usually reserved here at JN for the ******* morons.

This is exactly what we're doing but I know more about the unknowns than everyone else in the world. 

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

You're not too way off from how I originally felt after the draft.

I agree that there were some players I was REALLY distressed over having passed on, BUT if you buy the argument that the current Jets roster is completely devoid of talent at EVERY POSTION, then that implies there are NO meaningless picks and you can NOT criticize a draft where 7 picks resulted in 9 players w/possibly 3-4 (Adams, Maye, Stewart, Leggett) as starters. Simple math.

I agree the QUALITY may not be as good, but IF the Jets are swiss-cheese, then QUANTITY was a higher priority than QUALITY at that late stage of the draft. NOTICE we did not trade our first 2 picks and started moonwalking in the 3rd where the REAL VALUE of the draft was and where Mac KNEW he could acquire more picks in that portion of the draft.

WE have also seen enough of Mac to know that he SEEMS to group players in bunches and he has NO qualms about moving back 20+spots if he thinks they are all congruent enough and he can acquire more picks for what in the end is . . . . A CRAPSHOOT!

There is NO SUCH THING as "valuable picks for meaningless picks" because one team's situation is different than another's. If this team is AS BAD AS ALL proclaim it to be in '17, then EVERY pick is valuable.

Valuable Top 10 picks: Rolando McClain, JJ Stokes, Dee Miliner, Ryan Leaf, Chris Caliborne, Tyson Alualu, Brandon Graham, Ereck Flowers

Meaningless late round picks: Steven Smith WR, Terrell Davis, Mnsr. Brady, Richard Sherman, Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd.etc. 

You get the picture . . . .

Based on history and percentages....  if we get 3 starters out of this draft, I dont care where they come from.  BUT..lets face it, the NY Jets drafting is half the problem the other is developing and coaching.

If Zak Prescott, Joe Flacco,  or Tom Brady were Jets picks....  they would have been no where.

Archived