Time for Maccagnan to Shift Philosophy, Extend Enunwa

Maxman

i love Q and I would lock him up but hes from a previous regime and Macc has drafted and signed a bunch of wrs under his watch. if stewart, hansen, anderson ,marshall and peake show they got talent i wouldnt be surprised if he lets Enunwa walk at the end of his contract.  Again I would extend him. 

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Put your Jet GM pants on.   How much you offering Q Enunwa per year in the extension contract.  Let's see the numbers you would be willing to pay him right now.( floor is all yours) 

4-5 yrs at $6 million a year with $12 mil guaranteed and plenty of incentives.  

1 hour ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i love Q and I would lock him up but hes from a previous regime and Macc has drafted and signed a bunch of wrs under his watch. if stewart, hansen, anderson ,marshall and peake show they got talent i wouldnt be surprised if he lets Enunwa walk at the end of his contract.  Again I would extend him. 

I wonder if he views him as a trade chip if he's playing well near the deadline.

Just now, Raideraholic said:

Do you see Q Enunwa or his agent willing to sign now for those numbers.  Jmo I see him looking for at least 8 million per year.

No idea.  I wouldn't blame him if they held out for more, but we've seen players in the past sign before hitting FA to get at least one big pay day.  Jets could make him a qualifying offer of just over $2 mil and he'd have to bet on staying healthy for 32 games before getting a real pay day.

Or, he could sign a deal like that with $12 mil guarenteed and a chance to make around $30 mil total.

31 minutes ago, AFJF said:

No idea.  I wouldn't blame him if they held out for more, but we've seen players in the past sign before hitting FA to get at least one big pay day.  Jets could make him a qualifying offer of just over $2 mil and he'd have to bet on staying healthy for 32 games before getting a real pay day.

Or, he could sign a deal like that with $12 mil guarenteed and a chance to make around $30 mil total.

i could be wrong but didnt decker sign with the jets for 7.5 a year? if so Q doesnt have the body of work 

27 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i could be wrong but didnt decker sign with the jets for 7.5 a year? if so Q doesnt have the body of work 

You have to account for inflation. Q right now would be given at least that Decker contract on the the open market. At the end of the season he could be worth more. That's why Macc has to re-sign him now.

3 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

He was looking to come to New York to advance his wife career.( why he took less) .  Don't think it's the similar situation as Enunwa who wants to be shown the money.

18 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

He was looking to come to New York to advance his wife career.( why he took less) .  Don't think it's the similar situation as Enunwa who wants to be shown the money.

The profile boost from being in NY would have been a factor certainly, but even more than that I'm not even certain he was going to make much more anywhere else but here. The knock on him coming into FA was that he was a "product of Peyton" and the whole "He's not a number 1 WR" thing. I don't think anybody was going to pay top dollar for him because of all that.

Meanwhile we were all like "here's an above average deal with 15 million guaranteed and a prominent role on our offense." My point being I think Decker cashed in about as much as he was going to when he signed with us and I'm not sure he gave us any discount.

Enunwa certainly doesn't have incentive to do so, but he may not play well enough to worry about all that. So far he's been good, but how good will he be in the future?

8 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

3 years 24 mil 12 mil signing bonus. Do it before the season. Before price tag goes up...

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I would be incensed if they do this.  No big deal, I am incensed all the time, but... when are you planning this deal to start?  If it is 2017, that deal would blow.  He is due $615K for this season and is an RFA next year.  I think this year's first round tender is $3.91M   That means that if your deal starts in 2017, you are paying him almost $18.5M for 2019.  Tht would be insanity.  That is why I have been saying $20M for 4 starting now as a starting point.  I would go up, but I am not sure how much.  We control him for 2 years.  We are in the driver's seat.  That is why this is being thrown around.  You have to move when you have the power, not wait like they have been doing.

I'm sure Enunwa is thinking he's better off waiting (and I'll bet that's the advice his agent is giving him). He should risk injury and risk his numbers going down for the next 2 seasons. He's sure to cash in for so much more after being on the receiving end of Hackenberg this year, a TBD rookie next year, with no Marshall or Decker to take pressure off him either season.

With so much falling his way, of course the smart move for him is to stick it out for 2 more seasons in hopes of getting 1 major career payday instead of the 2 he'd have time for by inking something now. 

But woe is us, because only the other 31 teams get players willing to accept wads of up front cash while they're so far away from reaching UFA status. 

I would be incensed if they do this.  No big deal, I am incensed all the time, but... when are you planning this deal to start?  If it is 2017, that deal would blow.  He is due $615K for this season and is an RFA next year.  I think this year's first round tender is $3.91M   That means that if your deal starts in 2017, you are paying him almost $18.5M for 2019.  Tht would be insanity.  That is why I have been saying $20M for 4 starting now as a starting point.  I would go up, but I am not sure how much.  We control him for 2 years.  We are in the driver's seat.  That is why this is being thrown around.  You have to move when you have the power, not wait like they have been doing.

Thanks for explaining. Didn't quite know the numbers. Your way makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 7/2/2017 at 4:24 AM, #27TheDominator said:

He will have a long wait.  Pretty sure he will be an RFA next year.    

See above.  He will have a long wait.  If the Jets tender him, he will be signing his prove it deal at 27 and trying to cash in at 28.  I would make him an offer now which included giving him real money this year.   I am on record at 4 for $20M with $10M guaranteed.  That would increase his salary over the next two years by approximately $5M total and we would have him for two more at relatively reasonable cost. 

I'm onboard with this.

This is sound logic.

I don't see the rush in extending Enunwa, the Jets have 80 million in cap space, and here are the names of URFA's at WR after this season (Enunwa is RFA so he either comes back on a tender, or get a draft pick for him).

Alshon Jeffrey, age 27

Jordan Matthews, age 24

DeAndre Hopkins, age 25

Allen Robinson, age 23

Sammy Watkins, age 23

Terrelle Pryor, age 28

Larry Fitzgerald, age 34

4 guys 25, or younger, let Q prove he is worth signing long term another year before giving him an extension when these guys could be available to give that big money to instead (Specifically Hopkins, and Robinson).

Eifert, and Jimmy Graham also Free Agents next season.

I could see a scenario where the Jets draft a young QB early, keep the coaching staff intact, sign Brees, and Graham along with one of those big WR's, and the Jets continue the rebuild on the fly while going for it every other year.

I don't care if Sammy Watkins was 14, you have to have concerns about his ability to last in the league.  His foot is a concern no matter what. The odds of Nuk changing teams are pretty high.  The idea of extending Enunwa is to lock him up at a reasonable price so that you can obtain another guy for high dollars instead of choosing between the two.  Jeffery's contract is for 1-year @ $14M. You can't sign a guy like that if you have to give $10M to Enunwa.

Signing Brees, Graham and one of those WRs?  Besides how unlikely that would be to pull off, you think $80M goes that far?  Brees is $20M+, Graham is $10M+ and the WR will be $15M+.   The team will have no starting center, is still looking at Mauldin and Jenkins at OLB and Shell, Ijalana and Beachem at T, Lee is the only legit (borderline) ILB and Claborne is a FA, so you need a CB1.  Unless you want to roll with Skrine, Roberts and Burris - who people around here talk about like he has proved he deserves to start.  I think money can be better allocated then sitting on our ass with this sh*t team and then dumping all our resources into skill positions.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

No chance in the whole world would i extend enunwa right now.  We have to see how he looks being the #1 receiver being game planned for and having the best d players on the other team covering him,.

.. to pay him as a #1 WR.  That doesn't mean you don't make an offer.  If he wants #1 money I don't pay him either. That is the point of doing this now.  Nobody should know more about him than us.  

After this year it won't matter.  He will be tendered and getting actual money, though I guess they could 2nd round tender him and hope to get the pick while saving some scratch. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

.. to pay him as a #1 WR.  That doesn't mean you don't make an offer.  If he wants #1 money I don't pay him either. That is the point of doing this now.  Nobody should know more about him than us.  

After this year it won't matter.  He will be tendered and getting actual money, though I guess they could 2nd round tender him and hope to get the pick while saving some scratch. 

Yeah I didn't see anyone suggesting they lock him up at "#1" WR money (which is now running in the low to mid teens). The purpose of extending him early is precisely to avoid spending that in the event he does prove he's worth that. It could save upwards of $7m/year (perhaps more). He can be worth keeping long term without being on AJ Green's level.

Also as you indicate, the Jets are the ones who should not be taken by surprise if he can handle these duties. They know what his skills are and what they aren't, as their only exposure to him doesn't come during games.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't care if Sammy Watkins was 14, you have to have concerns about his ability to last in the league.  His foot is a concern no matter what. The odds of Nuk changing teams are pretty high.  The idea of extending Enunwa is to lock him up at a reasonable price so that you can obtain another guy for high dollars instead of choosing between the two.  Jeffery's contract is for 1-year @ $14M. You can't sign a guy like that if you have to give $10M to Enunwa.

Signing Brees, Graham and one of those WRs?  Besides how unlikely that would be to pull off, you think $80M goes that far?  Brees is $20M+, Graham is $10M+ and the WR will be $15M+.   The team will have no starting center, is still looking at Mauldin and Jenkins at OLB and Shell, Ijalana and Beachem at T, Lee is the only legit (borderline) ILB and Claborne is a FA, so you need a CB1.  Unless you want to roll with Skrine, Roberts and Burris - who people around here talk about like he has proved he deserves to start.  I think money can be better allocated then sitting on our ass with this sh*t team and then dumping all our resources into skill positions.

Seriously the way contracts are done the Jets would still have roughly 45 Million in cap space after signing Brees (2 years guaranteed at 20 million, 20 million cap hit), Graham (3 years 20 million guaranteed, 7 million 2018 cap hit), DeAndre Hopkins (5 years 45 mill guaranteed 15 per, 20 mill sign bonus, 4 mill 2018 base pay for a 8 mill 2018 cap hit).

Then I'd go after Ansah for edge, Trumaine Johnson, or Xavier Rhodes for CB 1, and if your hell bent on a Vet MLB see if Thomas Davis wants to come over, maybe Burfict, but wouldn't break the bank for either.

Sad the Jets have drafted 11 of their last 12 1st rounders on defensive players, have a Defensive minded HC, and yet we are projected to have at least 2 major holes at the 2 most important positions CB 1, and Edge rusher, and some also think MLB, meanwhile most defensive minded coaches get away with much, much less talent, and field good enough defenses to win in the NFL.

Brees, Hopkins, Q, Graham, and insert at least 1 of the Jets young WR's, and any half decent cheap rag tag RB preferably a really good Rd 2, or 3 rookie, and the O-line as constructed a starting C should emerge, Beachum, Iljana, Shell and OT is not that big of deal (OG is much more important to run an offense for Brees then OT, well so I've read, and NO allocations of resources show this to be true also in the past 10 years, and the Jets will be just fine at OG in 2018 IMO) with Brees current offense concepts already installed via Morton the Jets would have more then enough on both sides of the ball to be a good team, I'd say SB contender IF Brees is still near the player he was last season.

And with all this going on Young drafted QB sits for 1-2 years, and hopefully for once the Jets got it right, and come Year 2/3 he is ready to step in, and be a franchise QB, and hopefully come 2019, and 2020 drafts the Jets are drafting to get that young QB all the help he needs at OL, and offensive skill positions, that's how it's down right something us Jets fans know little about because we've never actually seen it done before.

We're going to draft a QB with a top 3 overall pick a month after guaranteeing Drew Brees $40m? 

IMO you sit a young QB that needs to sit; you don't sit a young QB just for the sake of sitting him (let alone for 2 years after using a top 3-ish overall pick on him).

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We're going to draft a QB with a top 3 overall pick a month after guaranteeing Drew Brees $40m? 

IMO you sit a young QB that needs to sit; you don't sit a young QB just for the sake of sitting him (let alone for 2 years after using a top 3-ish overall pick on him).

With Brees being 39 at the time absolutely, and I know after reading it again it sounds like I said 2 years guaranteed, but I meant 20 million guaranteed not 2 years 40 million guaranteed.  If you look at how I stated the other 2 contract structures I listed years, and guaranteed money not years guaranteed.

Archived