Petty Is The # 2 QB Today

JetsFanatic

IMG_5438.jpg

The Jets are set to take on the Oakland Raiders. The team has announced their inactive players for this game and the biggest change is at backup QB. Christian Hackenberg is inactive, and Bryce Petty will be the backup QB. It looks like the coaching staff feels that Bryce Petty is ready to go after getting injured late in the preseason.

The Jets are banged up at the tight end postion; Leggett and Tomlinson are both inactive. Starting tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins is serving his suspension for abusing the league’s substance abuse policy. He will be eligible to return next week.

Here is the full inactive list for the Jets.
JetsInactives2.png

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
fXdAFrIkjxA

Click here to read the full story...

6 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The hysteria over Petty is really just evidence to how awful the Jets' situation truly is.  I'd love nothing more for the light to suddenly go on for him, but there's no evidence to suggest there's any realistic reason to believe that would happen.  Ultimately, he's just preferred over a nearly 40-year-old career backup and a guy who looks about as capable of being an NFL QB as those of us around here would be.

It makes sense for him to get the #2 spot, and it's not particularly surprising despite the outrage of some last week.  Sooner or later, all of the QBs will get their chance, if for no other reason than health, but there's little reason to be overly optimistic about it.  Mostly it will just be a holding pattern and checking out the rest of the players, while they wait to go get their next guy in the offseason.

Been saying this for a while. All 3 QBs will play. Most likely all 3 QBs won't be the answer. If today goes back, I would like to see them make a change for the Dolphins game. Let Petty start. If he plays a few games and his numbers look like they did last year, bench him and put Hack in. This year isn't about this year anyway.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Wasting a roster spot on Hack at this point is some seriously preposterous sh*t. If a second year player that was drafted in the second round can't so much as earn the right to wear some pads on the sidelines as a backup, what the hell are we even debating anymore? 

Petty starts soon (hopefully). If Petty can keep the job, they can waive Hack at the end of the year. If Petty can't keep the starting job, play Hack. It is a long shot that Hack will prove to be the long term QB.

I think the real question about these two is, which one is going to be the long term backup QB? That is probably what they are playing for.

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Petty starts soon (hopefully). If Petty can keep the job, they can waive Hack at the end of the year. If Petty can't keep the starting job, play Hack. It is a long shot that Hack will prove to be the long term QB.

I think the real question about these two is, which one is going to be the long term backup QB? That is probably what they are playing for.

Well that's a stupid thing to hope for.

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Agreed, Petty will start as soon as T'Clown gets injured. Hack will be active as the back up...Petty will get hurt at some point behind this swiss cheese line and Hack will get a chance to get some reps. We will land a top 4 pick, draft the 3rd best qb who will supplant one of these kids after they get named the starter next year. I say about game 4 or 5 is when the fans finally lose their nut over a 1st rd QB who isnt playing yet.....then the rook will get in, light it up and nobody will remember Hack or Petty even collect checks here. 

38 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Well that's a stupid thing to hope for.

Why is it stupid to hope for Petty to play soon?

McCown is a nothing burger. The rest is my opinion, I don't think either of the young QBs will be the long term answer. I hope one of them is though, just doubtful.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Why is it stupid to hope for Petty to play soon?

McCown is a nothing burger. The rest is my opinion, I don't think either of the young QBs will be the long term answer. I hope one of them is though, just doubtful.

It's dumb to strategize this much and waste this many resources for a backup quarterback. The Jets don't need a backup, they need a starter. If none of the young QBs on the roster can be that then we shouldn't be wasting roster spots on them. 

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

It's dumb to strategize this much and waste this many resources for a backup quarterback. The Jets don't need a backup, they need a starter. If none of the young QBs on the roster can be that then we shouldn't be wasting roster spots on them. 

Well in fairness they are going to give them the shot to be a starting QB. Both will get their opportunity.

Hopefully one of them steps up. Also, hopefully I win the lottery.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Larz, at 8am: "Petty is 26 and is untradeable because he sucks."

Larz, at 3:30p, upon finding out that 26 year-old suckbag Petty has rendered former 2nd round pick Hackenberg inactive: "Clearly you guys don't understand four dimensional chess."

O Captain

You contradicted yourself on consecutive posts. 

You get cranky when you get owned

Archived