Offseason Plan for our 8-8 Team

BrickTamland

New thoughts following that Buffalo game.

We will be picking mid-round but there’s more talent to the team than we thought and the coaching might not be as bad as we thought. 

Im going to post the depth chart I want which is still quite obtainable. I don’t get into every single detail.

FA are underlined. Draft picks are bolded. I went through Round 4 only. For the record I did not watch much video on these specific draft pick players, but picked some guys by prioritizing the positions in the way I though they should be this offseason. 

Retain Bowles/Macc.

QB=McCown.Baker Mayfield (RD 1).Petty

RB=McKinnon.Powell.McGuire

WR=Anderson.Kearse.Stewart.Hansen. Deontay Burnett (RD 4).

TE=ASJ.Tomlinson.Leggett

OL=Beachum.Carpenter.Bodine.Winters.Shell

DE=Wilkerson.Williams.Ealy

NT=McLendon.Simon.Pennel

ILB=Davis.Lee.Malik Jefferson (RD 3)

OLB=Jenkins.James Hearns (RD 2)

CB=Claiborne.Carlton Davis (RD 2).Morris.Roberts.Burris

S=Adams.Maye.Brooks

5 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Nicely done.  I would count Quincy Enunwa in WRs and not sure Mo Wilk will return, even with his recent resurgence, unless there is restructuring.   It is a good evening draft, I hope they draft one.

I agree with you. He has a lot to offer if healthy. And he will be inexpensive. Hopefully he has good relationships in the building.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It will be pretty awesome watching Bowles explain why Josh McCown is light years ahead of Baker Mayfield for the next two years 

Nonononono. With a first round pick invested, Bowles sure as F not getting the chance to make that call. Understanding has got to be that McCown is there to hand it off to Baker.

3 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Nonononono. With a first round pick invested, Bowles sure as F not getting the chance to make that call. Understanding has got to be that McCown is there to hand it off to Baker.

And who is going to estabish and enforce this understanding?

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Also, what evidence is there that Macc is going to be willing take a QB in the first round? There is none. We’re likelier to see the same three QBs back next season. 

McCown is a lock, and they’ll dick around trying to wedge Hackenberg in there one more time if they can’t overpay the living sh*t out of Cousins

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Also, what evidence is there that Macc is going to be willing take a QB in the first round? There is none. We’re likelier to see the same three QBs back next season. 

This is interesting. Why are you asking me about the world of negative possibilities and asking me to determine our current GM’s tendencies? I have no interest in predictions. This is me saying what’s best.

i am telling you what I would do if I had control...if you want you can put Sean E as the new GM rather than retain Mac. That’s not the point.

16 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

We will be picking mid-round but there’s more talent to the team than we thought and the coaching might not be as bad as we thought. 

Im going to post the depth chart I want which is still quite obtainable.

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And who is going to estabish and enforce this understanding?

The point of the exercise is to put forward what I think would be a very strong roster next year. Meanwhile you’re asking me about inter-office dynamics.

In the hypothetical, Mr. McCown’s task is to play if and only if, Mayfield is not yet ready or gets hurt.

Just now, BrickTamland said:

You may need help with reading comprehension. But my explanation is clear.

No. It’s not. You say retain Macc and Bowles and then construct a roster neither one would do. It’s a logical fallacy. That’s like saying you’re going to go to Papa John’s and then eat good pizza. It doesn’t jive my man. 

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No. It’s not. You say retain Macc and Bowles and then construct a roster neither one would do. It’s a logical fallacy. That’s like saying you’re going to go to Papa John’s and then eat good pizza. It doesn’t jive my man. 

I don’t really agree with you there.

Bowles likes his veteran insurance. Mac needs pick up a legit FA or draft real prospect. Therefore I think I am doing what Mac and Bowles both might be ok with.

Regardless, none of that is particularly interesting to me. I’m interested in the players on the team. 

11 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I don’t really agree with you there.

Bowles likes his veteran insurance. Mac needs pick up a legit FA or draft real prospect. Therefore I think I am doing what Mac and Bowles both might be ok with.

Regardless, none of that is particularly interesting to me. I’m interested in the players on the team. 

Well considering Macc has whiffed on “legit FA” and “real deal” prospects at the QB position the last three offseasons, you’re really stretching now.  

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Well considering Macc has whiffed on “legit FA” and “real deal” prospects at the QB position the last three offseasons, you’re really stretching now.  

You are successful in derailing the thread. I don’t care to debate the FO history or politics.

If the discussion ever turns back towards the players on the field I’m happy to join back in.

This is 2015 all over again just substitute McCown for Fitzpatrick and make it 7 wins instead of 10. I fully expect Maccagnan to wildly overspend in free agency and draft more defense in round one.

Next season the clock will strike midnight and McCown will regress to the pumpkin he has always been and the Jets will win 4 or less games leading to the next rebuild. One thing that is certain is that Bowles will not start a young QB.

55 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

This is interesting. Why are you asking me about the world of negative possibilities and asking me to determine our current GM’s tendencies? I have no interest in predictions. This is me saying what’s best.

i am telling you what I would do if I had control...if you want you can put Sean E as the new GM rather than retain Mac. That’s not the point.

The point of the exercise is to put forward what I think would be a very strong roster next year. Meanwhile you’re asking me about inter-office dynamics.

In the hypothetical, Mr. McCown’s task is to play if and only if, Mayfield is not yet ready or gets hurt.

Yeah, I mean that you can’t really apply normal reason or logic when predicting what this coach and GM will do. They don’t really have a plan. You’re as likely to come away from next year’s draft with an CB at pick 9 and a guard in round two. They suck, but are already being feted locally as savants because they got to 4-5 with Josh McCown and Matt Forte. 

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I mean that you can’t really apply normal reason or logic when predicting what this coach and GM will do. They don’t really have a plan. You’re as likely to come away from next year’s draft with an CB at pick 9 and a guard in round two. They suck, but are already being feted locally as savants because they got to 4-5 with Josh McCown and Matt Forte. 

Got it. I am not a fan of either right now.

I’m hoping that Bowles grows as a coach over this next season and a half. If not I want him gone after 2018 with Morton taking over (hopefully having done a great job with Mayfield and the O.)

53 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

You are successful in derailing the thread. I don’t care to debate the FO history or politics.

If the discussion ever turns back towards the players on the field I’m happy to join back in.

GM acquires the players so you can’t have one discussion without the other. But this conversation is far premature. 

16 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Got it. I am not a fan of either right now.

I’m hoping that Bowles grows as a coach over this next season and a half. If not I want him gone after 2018 with Morton taking over (hopefully having done a great job with Mayfield and the O.)

Tough to evaluate Bowles right now, honestly. The young players are trying hard and the team seems to be focused, for sure, but some of that is attributable to it being young and hungry with zero expectations. He looked hopeless when it was a group of vets with some expectation of contending. A lot of dudes can get a bunch of kids to play hard; but to win a title, you’ve got to learn how to manage the egos that come with stars. I hated how he handled Forte’s whining, )and I still think that’ll come back to bite him), and his insistence on running McCown out there for 16 games is absurd.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tough to evaluate Bowles right now, honestly. The young players are trying hard and the team seems to be focused, for sure, but some of that is attributable to it being young and hungry with zero expectations. He looked hopeless when it was a group of vets with some expectation of contending. A lot of dudes can get a bunch of kids to play hard; but to win a title, you’ve got to learn how to manage the egos that come with stars. I hated how he handled Forte’s whining, )and I still think that’ll come back to bite him), and his insistence on running McCown out there for 16 games is absurd.

Bowles is terrible at managing games and his relationships with veterans range from romantic to abusive, but the young guys seem to respond to him. I don't really see what more he gives us as a head coach than he would as a DC, which is what you can say for practically every Jets coach since Parcells. It's almost impossible to tell what kind of coach he is with any degree of certainty given how poorly the roster has been handled (though that of course opens up a whole separate can of worms in re: how much say he's had in constructing it). Occam's razor is that both he and Maccagnan are hopelessly overpromoted. Keeping them on for another season is basically praying for them to magically get smarter somehow, which is such a stupid idea that it's inevitable.

45 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Bowles is terrible at managing games and his relationships with veterans range from romantic to abusive, but the young guys seem to respond to him. I don't really see what more he gives us as a head coach than he would as a DC, which is what you can say for practically every Jets coach since Parcells. It's almost impossible to tell what kind of coach he is with any degree of certainty given how poorly the roster has been handled (though that of course opens up a whole separate can of worms in re: how much say he's had in constructing it). Occam's razor is that both he and Maccagnan are hopelessly overpromoted. Keeping them on for another season is basically praying for them to magically get smarter somehow, which is such a stupid idea that it's inevitable.

Yes, my belief is that Bowles sucks and he’ll be exposed as soon as he’s expected to win more than three games on the season. It seems like a done deal they’ll both be back. This is the Jet Way

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

McCown is a lock, and they’ll dick around trying to wedge Hackenberg in there one more time if they can’t overpay the living sh*t out of Cousins

I am a Cousins fan....I wanted to draft him the year the Redskins drafted 2 QB's....HOWEVER, he is not worth $27-30 million a year....He just isn't .

Archived