POLL: What do you want? Fire Bowles or nah!

Jetsbb

Bowles status  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Bowles status

• Fire Bowles
    • Keep Bowles

15 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

IMO, before firing Bowles find a legit starting QB! It worked wonders for Kyle Shanahan.

Shanahan is an offensive minded coach who knows what to do with a QB, Bowles wants a game manager so that he can win with TOP and defense. In today's NFL you need a young offensive mind like a Mcvay coupled with a good DC. Bowles like his Jet predecessors wants to play leather helmet football. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

I felt the same way for the past two years. but this year he's lost me. I see through the smoke screen of guys competing hard and keeping games close. He's coaching in self preservation mode and that flat out sucks. 

Many ridiculed Herm for his “You play to win the Game” but I firmly believe that. Bowles lost me when he threw in the towel several weeks ago. At that point he took his walking papers and lost me as a fan.

On December 21, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Dcat said:

In short:  Woody defers to the HC, not the GM, for 1st round picks.

Explanation: Look at the last 10 years and it's as plain as day. It's not that Mac yields to Bowles. It's because neither of them has priority, certainly not the GM. I have no doubt that the HC has dictated 1st Rd picks for the last decade. And not because the GM wants it thst way, but because they both report to Woody. Who ultimately yields to the HC. Certainly did when Rex was there and it sure as sh!t appeared that way this year with Woody, hovering like a classic helicopter mother, around them before the pick.  Freaking Woody shouldn' even be in the room. I never said, nor has anyone else here to my knowledge, that "Bowles ran the drafts" as you claim above. Now your just fabricating to further whatever point you are trying to defend. Nor did I say that "Bowles vetoed Mac's picks". Another outright fabrication. They draft  in the 1st and probably other early rounds "by committee". And that's right out of Woody' mouth. Trsnlstion:  if Bowles and Mac don't agree, it goes to Woody for final adjudication. And Woody always gives the HC whatever 1st rounder he wants. At least that's how it seems to go down every freaking year.  

Actually, the GM makes the final decision.  The head coach can give his two cents, and the GM may listen, but the GM ultimately makes the call.  Tannenbaum gave a lot of weight to Rex's opinions.  Idzik did whatever he wanted. 

I have no idea how much Mac listens to Bowles, though.

Who could Jets hire to replace Todd Bowles? | Josh McDaniels, Bill O'Brien and other options

Posted December 28, 2017 at 06:30 AM | Updated December 28, 2017 at 06:31 AM

4shares

Could Jets hire Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels to replace Todd Bowles? What about the Texans' Bill O'Brien? Here are replacement options if Todd Bowles leaves. 

New England Patriots v Denver Broncos 
Dustin Bradford | USA TODAY Sports
Next man up?

Todd Bowles won't comment on his future. "I won't talk about next season until next season," he often says. The third-year coach is focused on the Jets present, and nothing else. 

But it's time to start wondering if he'll return. 

The Jets are eliminated from the playoffs, and have been for several weeks. It's the seventh straight season they won't compete in the postseason, including all three Bowles has been in charge. Since an impressive 10-6 2015, Bowles, with a loss to the Patriots, will be 10-22 since.

Coaches have been fired for less.

Jets acting owner Christopher Johnson said earlier this year Bowles won't be judged on wins and losses, but no comment has been made since on if he's done enough to return. So ... what if he doesn't?

The Jets will need a replacement. Who could be that guy? Here are a few options. 

Josh McDaniels, Patriots offensive coordinator 

Josh McDaniels learned from his failures in Denver, and has since reinvented himself as one of the NFL's better offensive minds. The Jets will likely draft a quarterback this offseason. Getting a quarterback guru in place to help develop him wouldn't be the worst idea. 

Bill O'Brien, Texans head coach

Bill O'Brien managed to take the Texans to the playoffs with the likes of Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler. Had it not been for Deshaun Watson's season-ending knee injury, he'd likely be on the list, too. There are rumblings O'Brien will leave Houston after the year. The Jets could pounce on him. 

He'd be reunited with Christian Hackenberg, whom he coached a year at Penn State. He'd also get a chance to pick and develop a quarterback early in this year's draft. 

Nick Saban, Alabama

Saban is well on his way to establishing himself as the greatest college coach in history. But maybe all that winning has him bored? If he wants to try his hand in the NFL again — he failed with the Dolphins not long ago — the Jets would be an interesting fit. Just one issue: Saban isn't an offensive-minded guy. Is he the best to help find this franchise a franchise quarterback?

David Shaw, Stanford

Shaw replaced Jim Harbaugh at Stanford, and has compiled a 73-20 record (4-2 in bowl games) in the seven years since. He has experience coaching NFL players (an assistant with the Eagles, Raiders, Ravens), and, at 45 years old, still has a long career ahead of him.

The question: Would he want to make the jump to the NFL again, or stay with the job security at Stanford?

Mike Smith, Bucs defensive coordinator

Smith had some success as the Falcons head coach from 2008-2014. Atlanta never reached a Super Bowl, though, so they made the change to Dan Quinn in 2015. Smith's a defensive-minded guy, which could turn the Jets off. He's well respected around the NFL, though. 

Jim Harbaugh, Michigan head coach

The ultimate wild card. If Harbaugh ever decides he wants to return to the NFL, he'll have his pick of where to coach. Some say he's difficult to work with, but there's no denying his ability to build a team and develop players. The 49ers were a powerhouse when he was there — and they're still trying to replace him.  

Jon Gruden, ESPN analyst 

Gruden's name always comes up in speculative coaching searches, likely because he fans the flames. It's unclear if he's truly interested in returning, though, or if he loves the life of a broadcaster.

He's an offensive-minded guy with experience in getting the most out of questionable quarterbacks. He won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson, got Rich Gannon to play the best football of his career, and made the playoffs with an aging Jeff Garcia. 

Todd Haley, Steelers offensive coordinator

Todd Haley has experience as a head coach, and put together some decent while there in Kansas City. He's currently running the Steelers offense which is ... quite successful. Granted having Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown helps. 

Mike Vrabel, Texans defensive coordinator

Vrabel is an up-and-coming coach, well respected by players, and seems to find success wherever he goes. Think of him as the defensive version of current Redskins coach Sean McVay. It's unclear if he's ready for a head coaching job, though. He may still be a year or two away. 

John DeFilippo, Eagles quarterbacks coach

DeFilippo is a quarterbacks coach, not a coordinator, but has done wonders with Eagles phenom Carson Wentz. Maybe he could make it 2-for-2 with whoever the Jets draft? The Eagles don't want to let him go, and blocked multiple attempts by teams to sign him away last year. Maybe a head coaching opportunity gets it done?

Archived