POLL: What do you want? Fire Bowles or nah!

Jetsbb

Bowles status  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Bowles status

• Fire Bowles
    • Keep Bowles

Just now, JiF said:

You used to 2 examples one from 2003 in baseball and one this season in the NFL to tell me how teams go about handling their decision making as to why to retain or fire a Head Coach but now this was all just an opinion.

1. Some times, not universally. You said universally.

2. Most of the stuff here is opinions. We use facts to back up the opinions

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

y1. Some times, not universally. You said universally.

2. Most of the stuff here is opinions. We use facts to back up the opinions

When you were a child, did you ask your parents why is the sky blue and then continue asking why after every answer that was given?

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Saints turned the ball over 3 times and still scored 31 pts and still held the Jets to 19 points but the Jets played "well" and should probably retain Todd Bowles because of this performance. 

I can't even fathom that the requisite with Jet fans regarding giving a coach an extension is "they're playing hard". OMG! I keep asking but their is no one on this site that can cite, 3 things that Bowles has done well in almost 3 full years. Scheme on defense? If you love watching CBs give 7 foot cushions on 3rd & 6, well yea, the scheme is tremendous. If you like your team to be top 5 in penalties, than yeah, WE'RE #5!, anyone who thinks Todd Bowles wasn't approached by the GM & owner about giving Mo (Haynesworth) Wilkerson a boat load of money & letting Snacks walk, for his OPINION since he is the defacto D C is smoking crack. You don't roll with a young QB with Todd Bowles unless you want him to end up like looking as clueless & with no self confidence as Bryce Petty. 

No, bringing along a young QB takes patience and possibly records as bad as 5-11. Like, if Bill Obrien came in here & we drafted a guy he wants, and he plays him out of the gate we could possibly be staring at 2 consecutive seasons of 5-11. Why would I want to give up being in the playoff hunt with Todd Bowles in the 1st half of the season with guys like Fitz & McCown when I'd have to suffer through a young strong QB learning under a coach from the Belichick tree who has had many positions as a coach and been an OC too? 

I have no issue with them looking to replace Bowles, however if it is to replace only Bowles, then I would be against it.  Simply because this idea that he's to blame for all the Jets' woes is outright laughable.  This has got to be a two-for-one deal, either Bowles and Macc go together, or they get one more shot next year.  Any idea of Macc having sticking around while a new head coach comes in would be the worst of all ideas.  He certainly doesn't deserve to be involved in the hiring of a new coach at this point, and if he was likely to be gone before they give up on the next coaching hire, the last thing they need to do is have this be Idzik/Rex Part Deux.

Bottom line, it should be all or nothing.  They are either on their last chances together, or everyone can go, with the only possible exception of the new hires being given an opportunity to evaluate the assistant coaches before they're canned.  The only way I can see Macc justifiably outlasting Bowles is if they get one more year, Macc nails it on a QB draft pick, but the team still struggles.

33 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

NO it was garbage time. The game was over after the onside kick failure.

I guess we just disagree.  They were not taking a knee.  They were trying to get a first down in order to run out the clock.  Our defense took a knee and let them score.  That’s on the defense whether you call it garbage or not.  They were basically running the ball to kill the clock.  We just suck.  We lost by 12.  Yippee is was closer than Vegas predicted so does that mean the team over achieved?  

Heck Kotote’s 1995 team shouldn’t have won a single game with that OL/WR/RB/DBs.  They won 3 games.  They had some moral victories because the team “was playing hard.”  Guess what, team and coach still sucked.  

Then, with the #1 pick and a ton of cap space in 1996, we brought in a vet QB, rebuilt the OL and WRs.  And despite the higher expectations we all had, we fell flat on our face.  

Hopefully next year will be different.  

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He coached a team to 10 wins - which in most years is a playoff team.  Of course he can coach a team to the playoffs.  

He needs a QB -

...and they sh*t their panties when it really counted. That 10 wins as a mirage. Name one thing this coach does well and I will shut up forever. The answer is nothing!

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I have no issue with them looking to replace Bowles, however if it is to replace only Bowles, then I would be against it.  Simply because this idea that he's to blame for all the Jets' woes is outright laughable.  This has got to be a two-for-one deal, either Bowles and Macc go together, or they get one more shot next year.  Any idea of Macc having sticking around while a new head coach comes in would be the worst of all ideas.  He certainly doesn't deserve to be involved in the hiring of a new coach at this point, and if he was likely to be gone before they give up on the next coaching hire, the last thing they need to do is have this be Idzik/Rex Part Deux.

Bottom line, it should be all or nothing.  They are either on their last chances together, or everyone can go, with the only possible exception of the new hires being given an opportunity to evaluate the assistant coaches before they're canned.  The only way I can see Macc justifiably outlasting Bowles is if they get one more year, Macc nails it on a QB draft pick, but the team still struggles.

They should both go now. The team has a relatively high pick in next year's draft, and additional second rounder, and a ton of cap space. I'd prefer those assets be handed to someone new. Mac's drafts have been ballless, and the last time he had a ton of money to spend he did it wrong. The highest paid player on the team didn't make the trip to New Orleans because he's a slug. 

If they're retained, they'll both be on the hot seat list in 2018. Barring significant improvement, they'll be let go next year, and the new regime will be stuck with Mac's poor free agency choices this year and no extra picks. With their jobs essentially on the line, I could see Mac trading a 2019 pick or two away rather than collecting extra picks. This is the year to move on. Next year will be a year too late. Problem is that the team has no leadership. Chris Johnson is not leadership. I don't see anything changing. 

Fresh start is needed here. Mike Maccagnan stays and picks his HC the Johnson don't want to have to do everything you know especially when they are both clueless. 
Mike Maccagnan needs a solid football minded HC here with a personality and an eye for talent, we have way too much cap money and really important draft coming up. 

No way Maccagnan stays and Bowles doesn’t... so you can forget that! If you wanna see an outcry not only with fans but with executives and league circles, let that happen. If that happens we would definitely be continuing the trend of first year coaches because no one respectable with a choice would go some where with the history we have! The roster is as bare as can be. Give me a break

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Where is there one shred of evidence Mac does not want Bowles as the head coach? And if fans are somehow guessing right about that, wouldn't Mac be telling the owners and wouldn't the owners take that into consideration when it comes to Bowles' future?

where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Games yesterday:

Tennessee scores a TD 37 seconds before half

Pittsburgh scores a TD 30 seconds before half

Rams scores a TD 37 seconds before half

Washington scores a FG 4 seconds before half

Giants scores a FG 31 seconds before half

Jax scores a TD 29 seconds before half

Cleve scores a FG 4 seconds before half

Green Bay scores a TD 39 seconds before half.  (The panthers drive it to the GB 32 and clock runs out)

Buffalo scores a TD 40 seconds before half

Chicago scores a FG 7 seconds before half

The Jets score a FG 13 seconds before half.

A week earlier the Jets with 3 timeouts and over a minute left down only by 13 and playing for their playoff lives run out the clock before half.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I voted to keep Bowles.  I am not a fan, but I think the Jets are already behind the 8 ball.  There are at least 2 teams that are already lining up to hire a new coach.   We would be competing with the Giants.   And no one quality in their right mind would want to join this poop show.

I think Mac, Bowles and the Johnsons should try and work together to make the team better and improve at what they do, and the Johnsons should add a Real Football President to oversee the personnel moves.  Could be a Shanahan or Holmgren on a 1-2 year consultancy but expensive basis.  Mac should not have free reign over the draft, and Bowles obviously has too much influence over the roster.  Someone needs to look after the long-term and be a reality check.

They should work through the last year of their contracts.  They can negotiate contract extensions that would be put in the file until the 2018 Bye Week.  At that point, the contracts can be signed or burned.  If they are burned, the Jets are first in line for the next good coach available.  They walk away from all of their coaching contracts at minimal cost.  

1 hour ago, slats said:

They should both go now. The team has a relatively high pick in next year's draft, and additional second rounder, and a ton of cap space. I'd prefer those assets be handed to someone new. Mac's drafts have been ballless, and the last time he had a ton of money to spend he did it wrong. The highest paid player on the team didn't make the trip to New Orleans because he's a slug. 

If they're retained, they'll both be on the hot seat list in 2018. Barring significant improvement, they'll be let go next year, and the new regime will be stuck with Mac's poor free agency choices this year and no extra picks. With their jobs essentially on the line, I could see Mac trading a 2019 pick or two away rather than collecting extra picks. This is the year to move on. Next year will be a year too late. Problem is that the team has no leadership. Chris Johnson is not leadership. I don't see anything changing. 

See above.  Hire a Coughlin to oversee all GM decisions.  Mac has lost his license to roam.

If you want to point to legit reasons to fire Bowles you can look at last season esp the defense and the secondary which is his specialty. It was terrible.  You could also look at poor game management and also poor adjustments at half times. In games other coaches came into the second half with better game plans than us. And this season you can point to 4th quarter collapses. Also lack of discipline on and off the field. So there are legit reasons but most of this fan backlash is due to one thing. Disagreements about the Qb position and him starting veterans over young Qbs. Some of these guys refer to Bowles as stubborn (because he doesn't agree with them). The other reason to fire him that is legit is lack of wins for two seasons in a row. And not getting the team up for key games like week 17 in 2015 and the Denver game a week ago. But in my opinion you're not going to get anyone who right now can do a better job with this group of players. A new coach would have to go through a learning process in how to coach each and every one of them. Bowles knows these guys and they seem to respect and trust him. And in most cases this year the team has been very competitive. I give him one more year but expect improvement and Ws in close games. To me he's improved and why fire a guy who is doing better as a head coach in his first HC job. There's a learning curve on any new job and the guy has gotten better. 

26 minutes ago, varjet said:

Hire a Coughlin to oversee all GM decisions.  Mac has lost his license to roam.

This.  Woody and Chris don’t have any background for making the decisions they have been making for the past 17 years.

30 minutes ago, varjet said:

I voted to keep Bowles.  I am not a fan, but I think the Jets are already behind the 8 ball.  There are at least 2 teams that are already lining up to hire a new coach.   We would be competing with the Giants.   And no one quality in their right mind would want to join this poop show.

I think Mac, Bowles and the Johnsons should try and work together to make the team better and improve at what they do, and the Johnsons should add a Real Football President to oversee the personnel moves.  Could be a Shanahan or Holmgren on a 1-2 year consultancy but expensive basis.  Mac should not have free reign over the draft, and Bowles obviously has too much influence over the roster.  Someone needs to look after the long-term and be a reality check.

They should work through the last year of their contracts.  They can negotiate contract extensions that would be put in the file until the 2018 Bye Week.  At that point, the contracts can be signed or burned.  If they are burned, the Jets are first in line for the next good coach available.  They walk away from all of their coaching contracts at minimal cost.  

See above.  Hire a Coughlin to oversee all GM decisions.  Mac has lost his license to roam.

Why would Tom Coughlin leave his cushy job reporting to one of the best owners in all of sports and leave behind his ocean front mansion in a beautiful city that treats him like a god where his team is a legitimate Super Bowl contender to work for one of the worst owners in all of sports, excuse me, his little brother and take over a terrible team that he has zero affiliation with zero infrastructure to build on in New Jersey?

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

78% of the voters say FIRE BOWLES :D

Not surprising, they actually watch this train wreck. We got 2 penalties for 12 men on the field. I get it Todd, you don't like Petty or Hack, but putting all your money on 2-22 Josh McCown like he wasn't going to get hurt...like he does EVERY YEAR was just stupid. Our backups NEVER look like they can play. Coaching is important, Parcells got 8-8 with freaking Ray Lucas. If we keep Todd Bowles you guys will never see a young QB play. If Macc takes a QB in the 1st or moves up...Todd Bowles is a DEAD MAN WALKING.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Why would Tom Coughlin leave his cushy job reporting to one of the best owners in all of sports and leave behind his ocean front mansion in a beautiful city that treats him like a god where his team is a legitimate Super Bowl contender to work for one of the worst owners in all of sports, excuse me, his little brother and take over a terrible team that he has zero affiliation with zero infrastructure to build on in New Jersey?

Exactly. It’s like why would Kirk Cousins want to come to jets when he will have many other options ha

I voted no for now. Jumping from HC to HC is a fools errand. If it becomes obvious through rumour and the media that the Jets are lining up someone who is clearly better and has the achievements then not bothered if we change. But if all we have for now is the look of a deer in the headlights about who would replace him I'd prefer to stick with continuity, IMO.

I agree that Bowles has made many many errors but he has been better this year no question.  

You give Belichick, Fitzpatrick and McCown to work with and you would see how many championships he would win or even playoff appearances.  

Is Bowles in the upper tier of HCs not yet but you can’t fully judge him with the clowns under Center and that is despite what he says. 

5 hours ago, JiF said:

so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance-memegenerator-net-23624435.png

36 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I agree that Bowles has made many many errors but he has been better this year no question.  

You give Belichick, Fitzpatrick and McCown to work with and you would see how many championships he would win or even playoff appearances.  

Is Bowles in the upper tier of HCs not yet but you can’t fully judge him with the clowns under Center and that is despite what he says. 

Belicheck drafted Garapolo when he already had Tom Brady. Bowles won't draft Watson when he has McCown..... Its not an accident that Belicheck is who he is, and Bowles is who he is.

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Belicheck drafted Garapolo when he already had Tom Brady. Bowles won't draft Watson when he has McCown..... Its not an accident that Belicheck is who he is, and Bowles is who he is.

Why are you saying that Bowles is responsible for drafting anyone, when there is no proof whatsoever that he is responsible for drafts?

That is Macagnans role and if he is listening to Bowles and not drafting say a Watson then he should be fired immediately.    

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Why are you saying that Bowles is responsible for drafting anyone, when there is no proof whatsoever that he is responsible for drafts?

That is Macagnans role and if he is listening to Bowles and not drafting say a Watson then he should be fired immediately.    

I don’t feel like having this argument again, but if you think Maccagnan is drafting safeties and ILBs on his own, I can see if I can get you a good deal on MetLife stadium?

Archived