POLL: What do you want? Fire Bowles or nah!

Jetsbb

Bowles status  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Bowles status

• Fire Bowles
    • Keep Bowles

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Here's an important question I don't think we know the answer to - does Macc even have the authority to fire Bowles?  Or is that a Chris/Woody decision?

It is well known that Mac DOES NOT have the power to fire Bowles. They were each hired separately by the owner who is the only one who has the power to fire anyone.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If for nothing else, we need a HC that will be on the same page as the GM.  Teams like Seattle have multiple rookies play huge roles and even start their first year yet we have Bowles has a propensity to prefer old declining players to inexperienced ones.  

We need Chris Johnson to let Macc hire his coach so there is an appropriate hierarchy, not like this crap where everyone reports to the owner.  Now GM can blame the HC, HC can blame the GM, and Ownership doesn’t know jack sh!t about running this type of organization and therefore has no clue on whose right and whose wrong.  

So either fire Bowles and let Macc hire the coach or get rid of both of them and hire a VP of football ops (similar to what Jax did last year) and let him fill the positions.

Just now, Pcola said:

If for nothing else, we need a HC that will be on the same page as the GM.  Teams like Seattle have multiple rookies play huge roles and even start their first year yet we have Bowles has a propensity to prefer old declining players to inexperienced ones.  

We need Chris Johnson to let Macc hire his coach so there is an appropriate hierarchy, not like this crap where everyone reports to the owner.  Now GM can blame the HC, HC can blame the GM, and Ownership doesn’t know jack sh!t about running this type of organization and therefore has no clue on whose right and whose wrong.  

So either fire Bowles and let Macc hire the coach or get rid of both of them and hire a VP of football ops (similar to what Jax did last year) and let him fill the positions.

This is one of the major reasons I'd want Bowles gone. Let Mac pick his guy, so they can be in total sync and let Mac see how it his plan. Right now it's all over the place and who knows what the actual game plan is. 

Bowles defense (his specialty) has under performed his entire time here despite the massive investments made to it.  His #1 picks are almost all either disgruntled, traded away, under performing, or the like.

Bowles offense has been tolerable only because of unusually productive seasons from JAG Journeymen Veterans.  We have made no progress towards developing the two young QB's we have.  

I don't see Bowles as a winner.  He's the poster child for a Coordinator that gets to be "interim" Head on a bad team, but isn't worthy of being the real Head Coach.  He is 10-6, 5-11 and it looks like he'll be 5-11 again.  Not good enough.  

I would fire him, and fix the structural problems of our organization.  GM reports to Owner.  Coach reports to GM.  I would let our GM (Macc or otherwise) hire HIS Head Coach, who answers to him.  Right now we have competing interests between GM and HC and it's hurting our franchise.

With that said, I do not believe Johnson will fire either Macc or Bowles.  I believe both are secure, and will be back next year.

Fresh start is needed here. Mike Maccagnan stays and picks his HC the Johnson don't want to have to do everything you know especially when they are both clueless. 

Mike Maccagnan needs a solid football minded HC here with a personality and an eye for talent, we have way too much cap money and really important draft coming up. 

10 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

This is one of the major reasons I'd want Bowles gone. Let Mac pick his guy, so they can be in total sync and let Mac see how it his plan. Right now it's all over the place and who knows what the actual game plan is. 

Right now the team has competing priorities.  Bowles is more worried about Dec, 2017, in a non playoff year then 2018 and beyond.  

Its too late for 2017.  Period.  Plus Bowles would rather go with McCown and go in as the second WC then to find and develop a QB with a higher ceiling.  

Mira almost like Bowles is striving to be a poor man’s Marvin Lewis.  Where the ultimate goal is getting blown out of round 1 of the playoffs.

Just now, Beerfish said:

I was in full favor of firing him but when Darron Lee, Skrine and forte said he should stay well that changes everything.

:wacko:

That's minimal. I look at on the field. They were 15.5 point underdogs against New Orleans on the road and basically a garbage time TD at the end of the game made it 12 points.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Seriously I have no idea. I was leaning towards firing him, but they played well against New Orleans.

I too like to look at one particular game and make determinations on a head coach.  Especially games where they played "well" giving up 31 points and only scoring 19.  It's a much better way to judge a head coach rather than his entire body of work.

Just now, JiF said:

I too like to look at one particular game and make determinations on a head coach.  Especially games where they played "well" giving up 31 points and only scoring 19.  It's a much better way to judge a head coach rather than his entire body of work.

Different sport but Grady Little was fired after 2003 for leaving Pedro Martinez in the game.

Ben McAdoo was fired (early) for botching the QB transition.

This is what jobs come down to

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Bowles defense (his specialty) has under performed his entire time here despite the massive investments made to it.  His #1 picks are almost all either disgruntled, traded away, under performing, or the like.

Bowles offense has been tolerable only because of unusually productive seasons from JAG Journeymen Veterans.  We have made no progress towards developing the two young QB's we have.  

I don't see Bowles as a winner.  He's the poster child for a Coordinator that gets to be "interim" Head on a bad team, but isn't worthy of being the real Head Coach.  He is 10-6, 5-11 and it looks like he'll be 5-11 again.  Not good enough.  

I would fire him, and fix the structural problems of our organization.  GM reports to Owner.  Coach reports to GM.  I would let our GM (Macc or otherwise) hire HIS Head Coach, who answers to him.  Right now we have competing interests between GM and HC and it's hurting our franchise.

With that said, I do not believe Johnson will fire either Macc or Bowles.  I believe both are secure, and will be back next year.

Save this post, because this is what is going to happen. Come January, we will be calling you Nastradamus.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Different sport but Grady Little was fired after 2003 for leaving Pedro Martinez in the game.

Ben McAdoo was fired (early) for botching the QB transition.

This is what jobs come down to

Yes. Your 2 examples, 1 from a different sport is the end all be all for determining whether or not to keep or fire a coach. 

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That's minimal. I look at on the field. They were 15.5 point underdogs against New Orleans on the road and basically a garbage time TD at the end of the game made it 12 points.

And?  15.5 was an outrageous line and everyone should have been betting on the jets, just like they should have been betting against the jets when the line was in their favor for the Denver game. 

no what is minimal?  Making a judgment on a coach just on the line or on winning 5 games when people had you earmarked for 3 wins.

Actually watch the guy coach.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think you are misusing “garbage time” TD.

A garbage time TD is when you are winning by 20 and give up a late score but still win by a bunch.

Down by less then 1 score at any point in any game is not garbage time.  How about tackle the guy and not give up ANOTHER long TD.  

Therefore, this was a double digit loss.  No more moral victories.  These are not little league players getting their participation trophies.  You win or lose.  And in our case, we’ve lost a lot more than we’ve won while our two biggest rivals have won multiple championships.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And?  15.5 was an outrageous line and everyone should have been betting on the jets, just like they should have been betting against the jets when the line was in their favor for the Denver game. 

no what is minimal?  Making a judgment on a coach just on the line or on winning 5 games when people had you earmarked for 3 wins.

Actually watch the guy coach.

I think that is the big difference between the national media and the fanbase. The National media sees the results and the scores and comes up with a conclusion

The fans see the guy coach every single play and come up with a different conclusion.

Because you're absolutely right. He is a very bad in game coach. Which is why instead of extending him, they should have him coach as a lame duck

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

I think you are misusing “garbage time” TD.

A garbage time TD is when you are winning by 20 and give up a late score but still win by a bunch.

Down by less then 1 score at any point in any game is not garbage time.  How about tackle the guy and not give up ANOTHER long TD.  

Therefore, this was a double digit loss.  No more moral victories.  These are not little league players getting their participation trophies.  You win or lose.  And in our case, we’ve lost a lot more than we’ve won while our two biggest rivals have won multiple championships.

NO it was garbage time. The game was over after the onside kick failure.

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Omg, really? It was like the Jets were a ball of yarn & the Saints were the cat. 3 times the cat got its claw stuck in the ball in the redzone but freed themselves to bat them around at the end with another long TD run. Do some of you people really watch & understand NFL football?

This was what is usually called a trap game for the home team Saints. A sh*tty team playing on the road in a lost season. Do you know why they call these games trap games? Because the Saints are already looking at their matchup with hated division rival, the Atlanta Falcons who they lost to in Atlanta. The Saints played a BAD GAME but never really felt THREATENED by the Jets. They were 16.5 favorites because even though they turned the ball over THREE TIMES IN THE REDZONE, the Jets couldn't do sh*t with their great fortune. Believe me, the Saints weren't slapping each other on the back, they were saying "big game next week". Jets are a sad afterthought in this league.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I'm just saying it happens that way. You might not like it but it does

Yes.  Your 2 examples means that it happens that way universally and all teams from all sports look at the 2017 Giants and Grady Little from 2003 and say, see this is how you handle the coach.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

This was what is usually called a trap game for the home team Saints. A sh*tty team playing on the road in a lost season. Do you know why they call these games trap games? Because the Saints are already looking at their matchup with hated division rival, the Atlanta Falcons who they lost to in Atlanta. The Saints played a BAD GAME but never really felt THREATENED by the Jets. They were 16.5 favorites because even though they turned the ball over THREE TIMES IN THE REDZONE, the Jets couldn't do sh*t with their great fortune. Believe me, the Saints weren't slapping each other on the back, they were saying "big game next week". Jets are a sad afterthought in this league.

No this shouldn't have been a trap game coming after a loss. New Orleans should have come out at home like a house on fire,

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Omg, really? It was like the Jets were a ball of yarn & the Saints were the cat. 3 times the cat got its claw stuck in the ball in the redzone but freed themselves to bat them around at the end with another long TD run. Do some of you people really watch & understand NFL football?

The Saints turned the ball over 3 times and still scored 31 pts and still held the Jets to 19 points but the Jets played "well" and should probably retain Todd Bowles because of this performance. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

In my personal opinion. My personal opinion when it comes to this means sh*t outside these walls

You used to 2 examples one from 2003 in baseball and one this season in the NFL to tell me how teams go about handling their decision making as to why to retain or fire a Head Coach but now this was all just an opinion.

I like you, a lot. 

Archived