Cardinals inquired about move up to #3

jetstream23

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Look, if we end up with a worthwhile FQB none of it matters. It wouldn't matter if we forked over all 3 of these picks plus our #1 next year for a decade-long answer at QB. 

That said, it's not a freebie. None of them are freebies. That pick was what we were left with after years of holding onto far more valuable assets that were devaluing by the year:

If he was going to move Richardson and keep Mo, he could and should have been moved him years earlier, when SR's value was much higher (when he had 2 more years left at a low salary plus a 5th year team option at an anticipated $7-8m). I'm talking about before that 2017 offseason: during the '16 season before the trade deadline to get a pick a year earlier; before even that during the spring '16 offseason (this time 2 years ago); or before even that during or right after the draft in 2015 after taking Leo. OR he should have moved Mo for a high 2-plus (if he couldn't get a 1st rounder + more like he was demanding) instead of keeping both of them for 2+ years after drafting Leo, at a cumulative cost of nearly $50m plus passing up on trade value that decreases by a round with each passing year.

So the $50m we didn't get to spend on worthwhile players is just the money. Even if the best offer he could've gotten for the better of these two back then was merely a high 2nd, that's a high 2nd from a full two seasons earlier. What do you suppose it'd cost for any team to willingly drop from a current high 2nd rounder for a mid-late 2nd rounder 3 full drafts later? Now you're into lost value of greater than a 1st round pick. "Freebie" my left one. 

So it's intellectually dishonest to ignore all Macc stupidly squandered, and jump in a season after the time Seattle rescued Macc from his prior 2+ years of horrible decisions by offering up the trade value of a late 3rd round pick, and call it a freebie

Maybe...just maybe...he's learning how to do his job better and learning from mistakes. I'm sure you were great at your job out of the gate ?.

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

Maybe...just maybe...he's learning how to do his job better and learning from mistakes. I'm sure you were great at your job out of the gate ?.

Learning like signing Josh McCown for $10m? This offseason is going very close to what I predicted, so there’s little (if anything) unexpected for me.

There’s a Grand Canyon between what Maccagnan has been and merely “not great” you know. Not great doesn’t automatically equal horrible and grossly incompetent.

7 hours ago, dcJet said:

Nice Chuckkie.  

@Sperm Edwards @CTM @jgb   Come on guys..  Give it up for Macc.

Give what up for having done what? Spending money? Once again, applause - and now demands for applause from others - for no actual results yet. For all you know, we’re getting locked into a bad QB and more bad FA signings.

Maybe wait for good outcomes before fawning over him. No less gushing was done after he screwed the team for 3 years with his 2015 moves. 

I’ve seen less protective boyfriends. 

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Learning like signing Josh McCown for $10m? This offseason is going very close to what I predicted, so there’s little (if anything) unexpected for me.

There’s a Grand Canyon between what Maccagnan has been and merely “not great” you know. Not great doesn’t automatically equal horrible and grossly incompetent.

McCown is a player coach. We have the money, there isn't any player that will change our season for 3 million. Why don't you wait until after the draft to spout your doom & gloom. Jet fans are always like "why don't we have a QB coach?", "Why don't we have competent OCs?". 

The Jets offense with old man McCown was better than it had been in years last year. Bates is back, they added Dennison to coach the zone blocking scheme they want to use. Let's see if we can finally land a QB to put into the SYSTEM and go from there. We've all known for years that constant change does nothing, we've seen it here. If your not going into this as the 2nd year of a complete rebuild then you'll obviously be disappointed in whatever they do. A few fans stated this fan base doesn't have the patience it takes for a full rebuild after the 2016 season. They were right. We have a chance now to land a franchise QB. It's all we've ever asked for,for years. 

Macc only signed younger free agents, we have a group of young unknowns like Leggett, Clark, Jones, ect. If he blows this draft have at him.

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

what is the issue w/ McCown for 1 year? he didn't sign some cap busting contract.  he's beloved in that locker room, will be good for any young QB to be around and can play until either Teddy or the rookie are ready. this doesn't hurt our cap in any way, this doesn't hurt our 2018 season or the future in any way.  I don't understand the bashing of McCown, if we signed him long term w/ a lot of guaranteed money I'd understand but this is a 1 year deal.  he'll be off the cap next year unless they want to bring him back as a backup at a lower price.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:28 AM, jetstream23 said:

Local sports radio here in Phoenix, John Gambadoro, who is known to have reliable sources w/ the Cardinals, said they inquired about moving up to the Colts pick.  The cost "was extremely prohibitive" and would have required the Cardinals 2018 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks and 2019 1st and 2nd round picks, and possibly more.  The Cardinals currently sit at #15.  Just food for thought.

If that's the case, Macc negotiated well. I've been listening to a couple Colts podcasts and Colts fans really think that the colts committed highway robbery with that trade. I think the trade was pretty fair...atleast in my opinion. 

I guess that also accounts for Jets history of picking players in the 2nd round. I thought that getting the 3rd spot in the draft was better than drafting 3 bust in the 2nd round over the next two drafts. 

The only way this trade bites the Jets a little bit is if no QBs are drafted at 4 and 5.  That means we likely could have had our same choice at 6 (although IND could have traded out with someone else).  It's a lot of guessing and maybes so I won't regret it but it would be ironic, and sting more than a little, if Rosen or Mayfield drop all the way down to 11 or 12 and end up with MIA or BUF.  

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The only way this trade bites the Jets a little bit is if no QBs are drafted at 4 and 5.  That means we likely could have had our same choice at 6 (although IND could have traded out with someone else).  It's a lot of guessing and maybes so I won't regret it but it would be ironic, and sting more than a little, if Rosen or Mayfield drop all the way down to 11 or 12 and end up with MIA or BUF.  

if we didn't make the move it was almost certain Buffalo was going to make it.  Imagine sitting at 6 while Buffalo moves past us and takes a QB that we wanted and then watching that QB turn out to be something special? we made the right move, now we need to draft the right QB.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

if we didn't make the move it was almost certain Buffalo was going to make it.  Imagine sitting at 6 while Buffalo moves past us and takes a QB that we wanted and then watching that QB turn out to be something special? we made the right move, now we need to draft the right QB.

Oh, I agree and yes, the taste in our mouths if BUF had made this move ahead of us would have been worse than waking up naked in a Tijuana motel room hungover and sharing a bed with half of a mariachi band (based on what I've heard from others of course). 

I'm just noodling on how it could look after the fact.  I think the scenario of Rosen and Darnold going 1-2, us taking either of Allen/Mayfield, and the other dropping down to MIA or BUF would be annoying.  But if we get either Darnold or Rosen, then I couldn't care less what happens afterwards since that, IMO, is the golden ticket.  Of course, there's also the possibility we pass on one of those two, draft Allen or Mayfield, and then BUF or MIA gets Rosen.  It's all so murky and there's way too much time until the draft.  They need to move it back to mid-April.

The good news is that no matter what, I can rest assured we are taking an offensive player in the 1st round.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Oh, I agree and yes, the taste in our mouths if BUF had made this move ahead of us would have been worse than waking up naked in a Tijuana motel room hungover and sharing a bed with half of a mariachi band (based on what I've heard from others of course). 

I'm just noodling on how it could look after the fact.  I think the scenario of Rosen and Darnold going 1-2, us taking either of Allen/Mayfield, and the other dropping down to MIA or BUF would be annoying.  But if we get either Darnold or Rosen, then I couldn't care less what happens afterwards since that, IMO, is the golden ticket.  Of course, there's also the possibility we pass on one of those two, draft Allen or Mayfield, and then BUF or MIA gets Rosen.  It's all so murky and there's way too much time until the draft.  They need to move it back to mid-April.

The good news is that no matter what, I can rest assured we are taking an offensive player in the 1st round.

we're going QB and ultimately this move will be judged on how that QB does. we'll see.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we're going QB and ultimately this move will be judged on how that QB does. we'll see.

Over the next 3 years, absolutely.  However, the move will be judged much more by how the next 10 picks play out in the hours and days after the first day of the draft.  It isn't right, but it's how things will go.  Let's hope for a more perfect 1-5 scenario of Darnold - Allen - Rosen - Barkley - Mayfield.  Jets get their guy.  MIA and BUF get shut out.  Macc looks like a genius.  

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

It's not that simple.  There will be no way to tell if our pick at three would be available at six.  SOme team could have traded to three to take our guy, or if our guy was on the board, picks 4 and 5 may have grabbed him.

It's really a perfect cover for Macc, as he can't be criticized for jumping up for a player that would have been available later 

20 hours ago, nycdan said:

Over the next 3 years, absolutely.  However, the move will be judged much more by how the next 10 picks play out in the hours and days after the first day of the draft.  It isn't right, but it's how things will go.  Let's hope for a more perfect 1-5 scenario of Darnold - Allen - Rosen - Barkley - Mayfield.  Jets get their guy.  MIA and BUF get shut out.  Macc looks like a genius.  

we don't know who their guy is but we do know they will get one of the top QB prospects.  will it be their top prospect? will it be their #2 prospect?  I am sure they will tell us whoever they get is the one they wanted but we may never know the truth.  it will all come down to solving our long term QB issue.  whether we get lucky w/ Teddy being healthy again or the rookie becomes a franchise QB.  as long as it gets solved no one will ever complain about what we gave up.

Archived