Jets Claim Former Patriots OT Antonio Garcia

JetNation

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well maybe not anything. We could go back to Wesley Johnson again and that would make it worse, lol. 

To your point, though, there isn't a returning OL position that couldn't do with an upgrade.

Wait a minute, the Lions got rid of Travis Swanson because he sucked and signed Wesley Johnson instead. We picked up Swanson, so is it even possible that we actually downgraded from Wes Johnson????

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

As an isolated incident that never surfaced before or since? That doesn't really happen all the time in someone with his presentation as a patient. 

I'm not assuming anything. I am suggesting in the absence of a definitive diagnosis (so much as I'm aware) it'd have to be of the top likely differentials. Frankly it'd be ignorant (if not malpractice) to not think that's as likely as any other diagnosis in an otherwise healthy, 23 year-old professional athlete. Far more so than a yet-detected malignancy, MI, obesity, etc.

Garcia's not some fat old retiree watching TV from his recliner all day long. Plus though I'm sure they did blood tests to rule out, he doesn't fit the profile for genetic things like Factor V Leiden (which runs in my own family). If this was secondary to another genetic cause then he doesn't belong in the league, since both the cause and the treatment are potentially mortal dangers to an NFLer. Other than a freak one-time traumatic incident, which he's certainly subject to as a football player, increased testosterone is probably no lower than the #2 differential for Garcia, if he's to continue playing.

"Putting a label on the guy," lol. How's this for size: I HOPE AND PRAY HE WAS TAKING STEROIDS AND THIS IS THE ONLY REASON HE WAS AVAILABLE. If the etiology is otherwise, his future prospects of success (and health) in the NFL are far more pessimistic.

You are assuming one of the top 2 objectively-likely diagnoses are untrue, based on nothing other than a desire to believe in his having a perceived higher moral character. 

Good read Sperm E. I’m not assuming anything. My wife had a DVT and PE and goes on thinners if she needs surgery. And it would be rare to just have them once and not be treated continuously, although again my wife doesn’t take anything regularly. She is a Factor 8. I’m a little sensitive to the fact that people just throw the steroid accusation at football players and other sports athletes. I powerlifted for 25 years (drug free) and was good. Had a National Title and many State Championships under my belt and was many times accused of using steroids, which I didn’t. Was tested more times than most lifters at the meets since I was winning and breaking state records frequently. Not bragging about it, just not a big fan of throwing it out there unconfirmed. He’s never been popped for juice to my knowledge and we don’t know his medical history or current treatment. Hope he’s an asset to the team. 

Just now, Freemanm said:

Wait a minute, the Lions got rid of Travis Swanson because he sucked and signed Wesley Johnson instead. We picked up Swanson, so is it even possible that we actually downgraded from Wes Johnson????

they both suck.  So does Long. But not quite as bad.   McCown is going to get pummeled. Or Bridgewater is going to lose his leg this time. 

53 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Barring injury to other(s), Swanson is a backup this year (if he even makes the team). Johnson was a starter last year.

Honestly, Johnson might even have some value as a backup, and this year he’s also making $2m less than the Jets paid last year under the $27m RFA tender amount. Probably counts even less than that on the cap (just guessing without looking it up he’s getting the veteran minimum so he counts an additional quarter million or so less vs the cap). 

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Good read Sperm E. I’m not assuming anything. My wife had a DVT and PE and goes on thinners if she needs surgery. And it would be rare to just have them once and not be treated continuously, although again my wife doesn’t take anything regularly. She is a Factor 8. I’m a little sensitive to the fact that people just throw the steroid accusation at football players and other sports athletes. I powerlifted for 25 years (drug free) and was good. Had a National Title and many State Championships under my belt and was many times accused of using steroids, which I didn’t. Was tested more times than most lifters at the meets since I was winning and breaking state records frequently. Not bragging about it, just not a big fan of throwing it out there unconfirmed. He’s never been popped for juice to my knowledge and we don’t know his medical history or current treatment. Hope he’s an asset to the team. 

lol you look like it.

I’ll continue to only pick fights with you in cyberspace. Also not that it seems you are, but don’t take it personally. I’m this obnoxious towards everyone. 

I don’t think it’s such a knock on him. He has a narrow timespan to show what he can do before he gets cast aside, and often people - kids in particular - make such a decision. Given the money thrown at starting left tackles, it’s more of a tactical decision than your own. Look at the guy he was drafted to replace (Solder): he was never a truly elite LT in his prime, and he’s getting $16m/year because of supply & demand.

3 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Swanson is more of a fit for zone blocking scheme. 

53 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

if weight gain is now a problem for Garcia maybe the Jets are considering a position change. They now have a 260lb athlete.

It’s reported, per Garcia, he’s back to 290. 

On 5/15/2018 at 9:54 AM, flgreen said:

Garcia probably is a bit more then a long shot diamond in the rough.  He was drafted to replace Soder, then the blood clots started.  He showed up healthy, but at 260.   Pats drafted Wynn in the 1st round this year, and Garcia was no longer needed.  Assume the Pats don't want to spend the time with a guy who might not play this year.

If healthy, Garcia could be the Jets starting LT next year.

Is Wynn a tackle? I thought he was a Guard. 

I think a guy with health concerns at this level who was just dropped by a team who could use OL help, is probably still a long shot.  

Hope I'm wrong. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Is Wynn a tackle? I thought he was a Guard. 

I think a guy with health concerns at this level who was just dropped by a team who could use OL help, is probably still a long shot.  

Hope I'm wrong. 

he can, and has played both.  Pats have announced that he was drafted as a LT

Wynn started 12 games at left guard in 2016 and some viewed him as a guard heading into the draft. But Wynn proved he can move outside by starting 15 games at left tackle in 2017 en route to a first-team All-SEC selection and recognition as a second-team All-American.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000932377/article/patriots-to-take-a-look-at-isaiah-wynn-at-left-tackle

This happens every year. Whatever GM we’re stuck with brings in some dude with a weird situation and 80 people post praise for due diligence. This organization could bring in a ferret to experiment with at fullback and some of you yokels would be all like: “Attaboy, always trying to get an edge. We REALLY have never even bothered to see if ferrets can block and you don’t know until you try!” 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This happens every year. Whatever GM we’re stuck with brings in some dude with a weird situation and 80 people post praise for due diligence. This organization could bring in a ferret to experiment with at fullback and some of you yokels would be all like: “Attaboy, always trying to get an edge. We REALLY have never even bothered to see if ferrets can block and you don’t know until you try!” 

I think a lot of us here like it because we liked this kid coming out of the draft last year and hoped we’d trade him. He was a second round prospect in every mock and evaluation and fell to the third. The patriots were called genius’ for getting him in the 3rd.

This kid has good starting potential, and we got him for nothing at all. This isn’t some usda who people are overhyping. 

Archived