Expectations...

DMan77

Let's talk a little about expectations as it regards to sports...

While I think we all love getting excited and hopeful about a team, it's really sort of dangerous for your emotional and mental health to over-evaluate a player or a team. You set yourself up for a hard fall when you walk into something expecting the world; or even part of the world... You have to curb your expectations to meet the realistic chances of what you're looking at.

Think of it this way: You buy a $1 lottery ticket. Now, is there a chance that you can win? Sure. Is there a chance you can win 5 million? According to the ticket, sure... But what are your expectations? To lose? Maybe to win that $1 back? Maybe get really lucky and win $10? Even if you don't outright notice it you're scratching that lottery ticket with a baseline expectation. If you don't win 5 million, are you on the phone with the lottery the next day screaming? If you don't win $10? Are you posting in gambling forums how unfair and terrible it is? No, because you had the right expectations. Last nights game, based on everything we know, was a 50/50 toss up. But some are acting like this was the biggest loss of the century. Some expected way too much...

There's a bad hangover today from lasts night game, and I get that. I was upset too. They played terribly and the lack of an offensive line was so obvious it hurt.

But, it feels like a lot of people came in with way too high of expectations for the Jets this season... It's okay to be excited and hopeful! It's okay to be passionate and want the best! It's okay to get bummed and frustrated with the team... But do that with an idea of what the team actually is. Do so with a realistic idea of what the talent on the team (and coaching, and front office) can do. Please trust me, this makes the fall backwards must less hard. You need to have a realistic floor and ceiling for this team; both in terms of wins and loses but also in terms of what you're looking for from the players based on their talent, experience, and competition. 

It doesn't take away the sting of losing. I'm not suggesting you whistle a happy tune after each loss. We're all going to be upset... But it's a lot less far to fall after each game if you're not setting very high expectations on this team... They were picked to lose last night; and they did. 

Just try and get an idea of what to realistically expect, and these bad losses won't feel quite as bad, because you didn't expect the world to start with.

Sorry, but we were up 14, the roof caved in, it was a bad loss. The second in a row. Preaching patience is a tough sell to Jet fans. I, for one, have been watching them for over 50 years. I don't even remember the last time I had "expectations". I've been shocked, and surprised a few times. Both good and bad. But never have I been over confident.

My expectations start with a coach knowing what the hell he is doing and a GM having a foggy clue about how to build a team.  People are not going off the rails over one game.

We are going off the rails because this one game looks like a host of other games under todd bowles the last few years and we are going off the rails because parts of this team that joe dumbass fan knew were weak are indeed showing up as weak, seemingly surprising our gm brainiac.

6 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Let's talk a little about expectations as it regards to sports...

While I think we all love getting excited and hopeful about a team, it's really sort of dangerous for your emotional and mental health to over-evaluate a player or a team. You set yourself up for a hard fall when you walk into something expecting the world; or even part of the world... You have to curb your expectations to meet the realistic chances of what you're looking at.

Think of it this way: You buy a $1 lottery ticket. Now, is there a chance that you can win? Sure. Is there a chance you can win 5 million? According to the ticket, sure... But what are your expectations? To lose? Maybe to win that $1 back? Maybe get really lucky and win $10? Even if you don't outright notice it you're scratching that lottery ticket with a baseline expectation. If you don't win 5 million, are you on the phone with the lottery the next day screaming? If you don't win $10? Are you posting in gambling forums how unfair and terrible it is? No, because you had the right expectations. Last nights game, based on everything we know, was a 50/50 toss up. But some are acting like this was the biggest loss of the century. Some expected way too much...

There's a bad hangover today from lasts night game, and I get that. I was upset too. They played terribly and the lack of an offensive line was so obvious it hurt.

But, it feels like a lot of people came in with way too high of expectations for the Jets this season... It's okay to be excited and hopeful! It's okay to be passionate and want the best! It's okay to get bummed and frustrated with the team... But do that with an idea of what the team actually is. Do so with a realistic idea of what the talent on the team (and coaching, and front office) can do. Please trust me, this makes the fall backwards must less hard. You need to have a realistic floor and ceiling for this team; both in terms of wins and loses but also in terms of what you're looking for from the players based on their talent, experience, and competition. 

It doesn't take away the sting of losing. I'm not suggesting you whistle a happy tune after each loss. We're all going to be upset... But it's a lot less far to fall after each game if you're not setting very high expectations on this team... They were picked to lose last night; and they did. 

Just try and get an idea of what to realistically expect, and these bad losses won't feel quite as bad, because you didn't expect the world to start with.

Cliff Notes version: Apathy, embrace it.

7 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Bullsheet. I Want a guy like this to coach our team.

My expectations start with a coach knowing what the hell he is doing and a GM having a foggy clue about how to build a team.  People are not going off the rails over one game.
We are going off the rails because this one game looks like a host of other games under todd bowles the last few years and we are going off the rails because parts of this team that joe dumbass fan knew were weak are indeed showing up as weak, seemingly surprising our gm brainiac.
Who would you have filled the offensive line holes with? Would you have drafted one in the first round over darnold? Rounds 3-7 and thrown developmental offensive linemen in and hoped for the best? I don't think there were any stars in free agency. It is frustrating for sure but it is much easier to whine and complain then it is to actually build a team I would think.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

At a minimum i expect the gm to have a plan to add young talent around the qb.  Besides enunwa who is the young guy on offense the jets are building around?  The entire unit is guys randomly thrown together while the 2 best players are Powell and enunwa, 2 jet picks from prior regimes.

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Sorry, but we were up 14, the roof caved in, it was a bad loss. The second in a row. Preaching patience is a tough sell to Jet fans. I, for one, have been watching them for over 50 years. I don't even remember the last time I had "expectations". I've been shocked, and surprised a few times. Both good and bad. But never have I been over confident.

Again, it was indeed a bad loss. But how high were your expectations for winning in the first place? That sets the bar for how far you fall, even in a bad loss. 

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That's exactly my point, though... Knowing that there have been a "host of other games" like this one, it shouldn't absolutely shock you and send you off the rails when this happens. Your baseline expectation (even though it blows) should be something like "bowles has a history of bad coaching jobs and this game could come down to that". Then, when it starts happening you're not ready to fly off the rails as much because you already used history and logic to set that as the bar.

My expectations at this point are basically "The Jets will have some good games, morebad games, make bad mistakes, blow leads, and maybe finish 5-11 again.". That's based on the roster, the coaches, history the last few years, a rookie QB, no OL, no pass rush, the lack of overall talent..

And that's pretty much it. Am I happy about that? No of course not! Not at all. I'll clamor for change as much as anyone on here. I'll follow every play and hope for a huge breakout from Sam or for some rookie or 2nd year player to turn into a pro-bowler... I'll hope that they play so well that my expectations can be changed!... But what I won't do is lose my mind, even in a bad loss, because the goals I've set for this team aren't sky high.

I'm not saying don't be a fan. I'm not saying laugh and be all carefree when they lose. It sucks and everyone gets frustrated. But it's a lot less frustrating if you have realistic expectations.

Archived