2018 MLB Playoffs Thread

CrazyCarl40

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

awfully confident...  am not sayn nuthn, cos this season has been a mysetry to me...

a course, am a sox fan so i root for them, but predict? wouldnt dare.

Believe it or not, I'm rooting for your team. Despise the Dodgers. Was just trying to be objective in answer to a poster asking for predictions. Am a Mets fan, and usually root for the National League. Draw the line at the Dodgers. Go SOX.?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, section314 said:

Believe it or not, I'm rooting for your team. Despise the Dodgers. Was just trying to be objective in answer to a poster asking for predictions. Am a Mets fan, and usually root for the National League. Draw the line at the Dodgers. Go SOX.?

confident in your belief that the Dodgers 1-8 is flat out superior...   more than anything...

all good, here

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The top 3 starters blow away the Sox top 3. The Dodgers bullpen is superior. They have a better bench. They have more team speed. They have a better lineup 1-8. The Sox will lose JD Martinez for 3 games. They play in a better league. Is that enough?

The Red Sox and Dodgers bullpens had the same ERA in the regular season. The Red Sox aren’t losing JD for three games. They’ll lose Kinsler. The Red Sox had the best offense in all of baseball and have a deep bench. The AL was far superior to the NL this year in inter league play. I may give you the starters, but the Sox just dispatched the Astros starters who are as good as the Dodgers starters. So I’m not worried. But the majority of your points don’t hold statistical water. We’ll see how it plays out. 

13 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Red Sox and Dodgers bullpens had the same ERA in the regular season. The Red Sox aren’t losing JD for three games. They’ll lose Kinsler. The Red Sox had the best offense in all of baseball and have a deep bench. The AL was far superior to the NL this year in inter league play. I may give you the starters, but the Sox just dispatched the Astros starters who are as good as the Dodgers starters. So I’m not worried. But the majority of your points don’t hold statistical water. We’ll see how it plays out. 

Carl...NL won inter league play. Three teams in MLB lost 100+ games this year, all in AL. 8 AL teams were under .500 this year, more than half the league. NL had 6.

29 minutes ago, section314 said:

Carl...NL won inter league play. Three teams in MLB lost 100+ games this year, all in AL. 8 AL teams were under .500 this year, more than half the league. NL had 6.

First time side 2003! Watch the game last night? How was that deep bench, better lineup 1-8, and better bullpen? 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

First time side 2003! Watch the game last night? How was that deep bench, better lineup 1-8, and better bullpen? 

It's a long series and the better team usually wins. I think it will be the Dodgers for the reasons I've stated. We will see. Enjoy the games.

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

It's a long series and the better team usually wins. I think it will be the Dodgers for the reasons I've stated. We will see. Enjoy the games.

The reasons you stated were factually and statistically incorrect. If you watched the game last night you’d know which team is the better team. 

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You thought the Astros were the better team in the ALCS, yet the Sox won. hmmmm.

I thought on paper the Astros were the better team. October is typically when really good pitching teams flourish. I thought their rotation would pitch better. Apparently the Red Sox lineup has different ideas. Which I’m completely fine with. That’s not the case with the Dodgers. The Sox are a better team than them. 

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I thought on paper the Astros were the better team. October is typically when really good pitching teams flourish. I thought their rotation would pitch better. Apparently the Red Sox lineup has different ideas. Which I’m completely fine with. That’s not the case with the Dodgers. The Sox are a better team than them. 

Not sure of this "paper" thing of which you speak is. But I am satisfied (or relished) in further knowing that your predictions of "better teams" don't always work out that way. We will see.

Up 2-0 and heading to a warmer climate. Have to feel good about their chances. They’re undefeated in 5 road games this postseason. Going up against a rookie who hasn’t really pitched all that well this postseason? Porcello has been a mixed bag and hasn’t been a great postseason pitcher but the Sox have all the momentum. 

6 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Up 2-0 and heading to a warmer climate. Have to feel good about their chances. They’re undefeated in 5 road games this postseason. Going up against a rookie who hasn’t really pitched all that well this postseason? Porcello has been a mixed bag and hasn’t been a great postseason pitcher but the Sox have all the momentum. 

this is all true...   I look at it like this...  Sox need 1 game there...

I think Xander and JD shots are HRs in LA as well...

On 10/23/2018 at 4:11 PM, section314 said:

The top 3 starters blow away the Sox top 3. The Dodgers bullpen is superior. They have a better bench. They have more team speed. They have a better lineup 1-8. The Sox will lose JD Martinez for 3 games. They play in a better league. Is that enough?

So far you're 2/3 wrong with this. ;-)   Sox bench and bullpen getting the job done so far.

8 hours ago, Losmeister said:

price with a gritty performance...   wasnt getting some calls he wanted...   turnaround from teh former o-fer in the playoffs...

2 out production off the charts...

3 hitter? 

wow.

Price was incredible last night. Just what the Sawx needed. Love taking the 1st 2 at home.

6 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It all depends on which Porcello shows up tomorrow nite.

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

So far you're 2/3 wrong with this. ;-)   Sox bench and bullpen getting the job done so far.

Agreed. I thought they were gonna tatoo Evoldi last night. Dodgers have a lot of good fastball hitters. The Red Sox with two strikes are unbelievable. As a Mets fan, it brings back nightmares of the Royals a few years back. You can't put them away.The kid needs to pitch like he did in game 7 vs the Brewers tomorrow for the Dodgers.

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Agreed. I thought they were gonna tatoo Evoldi last night. Dodgers have a lot of good fastball hitters. The Red Sox with two strikes are unbelievable. As a Mets fan, it brings back nightmares of the Royals a few years back. You can't put them away.The kid needs to pitch like he did in game 7 vs the Brewers tomorrow for the Dodgers.

I like the Mets too in the NL. Don't follow them like i did during the Koosman/ Seaver era. They turned so cheap after the Bernie Madolf thing it really turned me off.  Killed me when they played the Sox in the WS back in 86.

9 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I like the Mets too in the NL. Don't follow them like i did during the Koosman/ Seaver era. They turned so cheap after the Bernie Madolf thing it really turned me off.  Killed me when they played the Sox in the WS back in 86.

Interesting tidbit about the Mets. They are supposedly down to 3 people in the GM search. One is Cespedes' agent, one is a Tampa personnel guy, and the third is Doug Melvin, former Brewer GM. Minnesota and Toronto just hired managers, both from the Tampa organization. Will see if the Mets make it three. Ownership has mandated that whomever is the choice, that they have to keep the current manager, pitching coach and Omar Minaya, who will have a say in all personnel decisions. Does this remind you of any other team that we root for??

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Interesting tidbit about the Mets. They are supposedly down to 3 people in the GM search. One is Cespedes' agent, one is a Tampa personnel guy, and the third is Doug Melvin, former Brewer GM. Minnesota and Toronto just hired managers, both from the Tampa organization. Will see if the Mets make it three. Ownership has mandated that whomever is the choice, that they have to keep the current manager, pitching coach and Omar Minaya, who will have a say in all personnel decisions. Does this remind you of any other team that we root for??

Mets told Melvin he's out of the running. Can't see why he was even in the final 3. Old school. That's why he stepped down from Brewers. Really can't see them going with an agent for GM. That leaves the Tampa guy in my mind.

Hmmm still trying to think of this other org. that we root for that would remind me of the Mets . lol

4 hours ago, section314 said:

I actually agree with keeping Minaya. He scours Latin America very well and seems to have a good eye. I am hoping that Ricco stays on in some capacity as well.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I actually agree with keeping Minaya. He scours Latin America very well and seems to have a good eye. I am hoping that Ricco stays on in some capacity as well.

Omar is a very good talent evaluator. But when not only keeping him, but telling any candidate that he will have a say in player moves, it's basically turning your GM into Brett Boone, a puppet. Why not just name Omar the GM?

36 minutes ago, section314 said:

Omar is a very good talent evaluator. But when not only keeping him, but telling any candidate that he will have a say in player moves, it's basically turning your GM into Brett Boone, a puppet. Why not just name Omar the GM?

Minaya is not great at the day to day nuances of what the GM job details, in my opinion.

If I were an incoming GM, I would be ecstatic to have  someone that will beat the bushes in the Latin American countries, and is proven at it. 

It is always the GM's prerogative whether he wants to pull the trigger on any suggestion.

17 hours ago, section314 said:

Looks like the agent Van Wagenen will be getting the Mets GM job. That opens a whole box of conflict of interest questions.

25 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Looks like the agent Van Wagenen will be getting the Mets GM job. That opens a whole box of conflict of interest questions.

Yeah.......maybe this guy has a good relationship with the agents for Machado and Conforto. Other than that, don't get it.

35 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yeah.......maybe this guy has a good relationship with the agents for Machado and Conforto. Other than that, don't get it.

After watching Machado in the WS I would want no part of him. Turned a double into a long single last nite with his lack of hustle. To quote Manny "hustling isn't my cup of tea". Indeed !

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

After watching Machado in the WS I would want no part of him. Turned a double into a long single last nite with his lack of hustle. To quote Manny "hustling isn't my cup of tea". Indeed !

I know....wonder where he will end up? Dodgers will have a healthy Corey Seager back next year. This Bellinger kid has a chance to be pretty special. Him and Benedetti are wonderful to watch.

Archived