2018 MLB Playoffs Thread

CrazyCarl40

Sox had looked off color for a while and I ws predicting Chanx to take it...

Last night was ...  I dunno... so unusual... Eovaldi had his stuff going...

1st base ump was a nightmare and now he's supposed to call ball and strikes? mamma mia. how they can trot that guy out AT ALL , i dont agree with, for either side.

Sox fan here since 75.

Still..  I dont feel terribl;y confident.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

He's great in the regular season. He's not a big-game pitcher, but we've known that for awhile. There's a reason he didn't get the WC game.

He's the opposite of el duque.

He pitched the wild card game

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Sox had looked off color for a while and I ws predicting Chanx to take it...

Last night was ...  I dunno... so unusual... Eovaldi had his stuff going...

1st base ump was a nightmare and now he's supposed to call ball and strikes? mamma mia. how they can trot that guy out AT ALL , i dont agree with, for either side.

Sox fan here since 75.

Still..  I dont feel terribl;y confident.

I think the Yanks win tonight and lose in 5.  My family, who all live in Houston, love this.  

"Just keep beating each other up!!".   Some version of that text message is on my phone every freaking day.

24 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He pitched the wild card game

Yep, he did. My bad. I confused myself because I remember thinking that starting him in the WC game this year would be a mistake given how he performed in the WC last year.

He did however have a great game 4 in last year's alds. Probably the most fun I've ever had a baseball game. Hopefully tonight matches last year's game 4.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I think the Yanks win tonight and lose in 5.  My family, who all live in Houston, love this.  

"Just keep beating each other up!!".   Some version of that text message is on my phone every freaking day.

Houston's starting pitching is going to be a problem for whoever faces them next.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Boone had a terrible night. Not sure if it was the warm up issue (what the hell happened there) or not. But bringing Sev back out for the 4th made no sense. He wasn't finishing people, he had no command and they put that bat on the ball a lot up until that point. Down 3 they would have lost anyway but bringing in another starter with the bases loaded wasn't a good look by Boone.

Losing is tough but what makes it worse it they didn't get to the Sox pen at all. If they kept it close and lost it could have helped for tonight.

The Yankees should be able to score off of Porcello so if CC can give them 5 good innings tonight they will be in great shape. CC throws a lot of pitches at this point so I am not sure he will be able to go more than 4.

Porcello pitched pretty well against the Yankees in the regular season. CC was up and down against the Red Sox. I’m curious to see if they stick with the lineup last night or if you see Nunez and Kinsler back in there tonight as lefties struggle against the big man. I’d keep Holt in there personally. He was on fire down the stretch. 

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Porcello pitched pretty well against the Yankees in the regular season. CC was up and down against the Red Sox. I’m curious to see if they stick with the lineup last night or if you see Nunez and Kinsler back in there tonight as lefties struggle against the big man. I’d keep Holt in there personally. He was on fire down the stretch. 

I am pretty sure hitting for the cycle means you have to be in the lineup the next day lol. The league might get involved if he isn't.

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

He pitched like crap.

Either he's hurt, or he massively lost command of his pitches.   He does need a 3rd pitch, either a real change or something else, because if one of his 2 aren't working, he gets hit.

I think he is what he is.  He’s a good to very good 2 or 3 he’s not an ace

Tanaka is the new Andy Pettite.  A good second or third starter who is excellent in the playoffs but again not an ace 

We need to spend big bucks on starting pitching this offseason.  Enough of this garbage oh Kershaw is gonna want too much money no that’s nonsense.  We are not beating Houston or Boston with CC, JA Happ and Luis Cessa

And if you need to use Didi and Dellin as trade bait to get an ace from somewhere then do it

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think he is what he is.  He’s a good to very good 2 or 3 he’s not an ace

Tanaka is the new Andy Pettite.  A good second or third starter who is excellent in the playoffs but again not an ace 

We need to spend big bucks on starting pitching this offseason.  Enough of this garbage oh Kershaw is gonna want too much money no that’s nonsense.  We are not beating Houston or Boston with CC, JA Happ and Luis Cessa

And if you need to use Didi and Dellin as trade bait to get an ace from somewhere then do it

He needs a 3rd pitch.   If his slider or fastball is a little off, hitters have learned to lay off one and just feast on the other. 

I believe Patrick Corbin on the Diamondbacks is a FA.   29, he may be someone to look at.   Kershaw is older, and not the same guy, he has a lot of miles and you are hoping for 150-160 innings at most.   I don't really know who else is out there, but yes, they have to sign/ trade for someone.  

The problem with moving Didi is he is their only left handed bat.   (well, Hicks is a switch).

On 10/4/2018 at 2:21 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

I can’t believe it’s the first time the Sox and Yanks are meeting in the playoffs since the worst playoff collapse in major sports history. 

Anyway, predictions anyone?

I’ve got Sox over Yanks, Astros over Indians, Dodgers over Braves and Rockies over Brewers. That last one I’m not 100% on. All of them will be close series though. 

I was 3 of 4 and I was wrong on the one I thought I’d be wrong on. Didn’t envision so many sweeps though!

For the Championship series I’m thinking it’ll be the Dodgers and Astros. I definitely want to be wrong about the Astros. And the Brewers are still surprising me, but Kershaw looked amazing the other night. Will be a fun series to watch, both of them actually. 

On 10/9/2018 at 9:04 AM, Losmeister said:

He is out there because he sued MLB, stating he never got post season jobs because Joe Torre had a vendetta against him.

I think the ump has proved that while Torre may have disliked him, he wasn't out there because he stinks.

59 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He is out there because he sued MLB, stating he never got post season jobs because Joe Torre had a vendetta against him.

I think the ump has proved that while Torre may have disliked him, he wasn't out there because he stinks.

in spades

Great game last night -- incredible drama in the last 2 innings.  But does this "opener" nonsense drive anyone else crazy.  Game 1 of a 7 game series and you pull your starter after two innings.  Then, Counsell brings in his best reliever, Hader, with a 5-1 lead in the 5th inning.  Burns him for 3 innings and 46 pitches in a non-stress situation with a comfortable lead.  Made no sense to me.  I am rooting for the Brewers, but I am just not sure you can lean on a bullpen this much and expect to win 2 more long series.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Great game last night -- incredible drama in the last 2 innings.  But does this "opener" nonsense drive anyone else crazy.  Game 1 of a 7 game series and you pull your starter after two innings.  Then, Counsell brings in his best reliever, Hader, with a 5-1 lead in the 5th inning.  Burns him for 3 innings and 46 pitches in a non-stress situation with a comfortable lead.  Made no sense to me.  I am rooting for the Brewers, but I am just not sure you can lean on a bullpen this much and expect to win 2 more long series.

The Royals set a similar tone in 2015 World Series. Teams are figuring it is not as much who starts games, but who finishes. Also, seeing the same pitcher more than 1 time increases the probability of seeing him well.

Not saying I am in agreement to this strategy, but it is one that more teams are adopting.

20 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Royals set a similar tone in 2015 World Series. Teams are figuring it is not as much who starts games, but who finishes. Also, seeing the same pitcher more than 1 time increases the probability of seeing him well.

Not saying I am in agreement to this strategy, but it is one that more teams are adopting.

I know that this is the direction the game is going.  The Royals in 2015 still got 30 innings out of their starters in a 5 game series.  The only starter that got pulled early did so because he pitched badly.  I think this Brewers team is very good, but I am not sure this strategy of leaning so heavily on your bullpen is sustainable over a long series or two series back-to-back.  I hope it works our because I really like this Brewer team and would like to see them in the Series.  

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I know that this is the direction the game is going.  The Royals in 2015 still got 30 innings out of their starters in a 5 game series.  The only starter that got pulled early did so because he pitched badly.  I think this Brewers team is very good, but I am not sure this strategy of leaning so heavily on your bullpen is sustainable over a long series or two series back-to-back.  I hope it works our because I really like this Brewer team and would like to see them in the Series.  

I think it is sustainable over a series (if you have a very good relief corps). It is a season that it is not sustainable.

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Dude - in my eyes that won game 1 for them. Bringing Hader in for the 9 outs kept the Dodgers from scoring in those innings and ultimately let the 6 runs stand. You saw what happened when he came out. 

I think Counsell wanted to keep the Dodgers shut down and in a chasing mode while they tried to add to their lead.

Since the Cheezers have decided to make themselves true wise guy rivals (something they should stay away from given their yah-hey-der mentality) by asking when the Cubs play next on the scoreboard during the game, I hope LA beats them to their reality - senseless.

4 hours ago, NJ said:

Dude - in my eyes that won game 1 for them. Bringing Hader in for the 9 outs kept the Dodgers from scoring in those innings and ultimately let the 6 runs stand. You saw what happened when he came out. 

I think Counsell wanted to keep the Dodgers shut down and in a chasing mode while they tried to add to their lead.

They sure could have used Hader for an inning today.  Not having him available at all might have cost that game tonight.

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Or they lost to the defending champions who are a really good team. You know who went 0-2 at home these playoffs? Never mind. 

108 wins....they are choking to a lesser team.  chris sale himself said this Sox team is the best team ever.  no excuses.

19 minutes ago, Blackout said:

108 wins....they are choking to a lesser team.  chris sale himself said this Sox team is the best team ever.  no excuses.

A lesser team? Get a grip. The Astros were the favorite to win this series. This could be the best Sox team ever and they won a lot of games, but they have flaws and the Astros are a better team. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

A lesser team? Get a grip. The9 Astros were the favorite to win this series. This could be the best Sox team ever and they won a lot of games, but they have flaws and the Astros are a better team. 

so are you calling Chris Sale a liar?

edit. sale said best TEAM ever, not best sox team. 

On 10/14/2018 at 10:44 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

A lesser team? Get a grip. The Astros were the favorite to win this series. This could be the best Sox team ever and they won a lot of games, but they have flaws and the Astros are a better team. 

This was a pick 'em series at best.   Losing a best of 7 series to a defending champion who won over 100 games is not a choke.  Like wise, losing a 7 game series to a team that won 108 games is also not a choke.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

This was a pick 'em series at best.   Losing a best of 7 series to a defending champion who won over 100 games is not a choke.  Like wise, losing a 7 game series to a team that won 108 games is also not a choke.

Not at all a choke. Blackout is a known troll around these parts. I was hoping for actual baseball conversation in this thread. We had it for a while. 

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not at all a choke. Blackout is a known troll around these parts. I was hoping for actual baseball conversation in this thread. We had it for a while. 

Houston winning game 1, and you going with Price game 2 I thought was going to put you in a huge hole.

I can't stand that guy, I don't know what it is.   Even last night, I know his team won a playoff game he started, 4 runs in 4 and 2/3 isn't a great stat line, but the whole "Price turns around postseason narrative" headline on espn is poop.   He is a playoff career choke artist.   Now, you have plenty of very clutch players, and a healthy Sale is a flat out stud starter. 

29 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Houston winning game 1, and you going with Price game 2 I thought was going to put you in a huge hole.

I can't stand that guy, I don't know what it is.   Even last night, I know his team won a playoff game he started, 4 runs in 4 and 2/3 isn't a great stat line, but the whole "Price turns around postseason narrative" headline on espn is poop.   He is a playoff career choke artist.   Now, you have plenty of very clutch players, and a healthy Sale is a flat out stud starter. 

Yeah. The offense bailed him out big time. And the bullpen was good. I’m hopeful he opts out. Would be nice to free up that money.

Bregman put on his Instagram story today the Astros hitting back to back to back homeruns against Eovaldi when he was a Ray this season and just coming back. I wonder if that’s Judge like bad juju haha. 

Archived