Sperm's 2006 Plan

Sperm Edwards

Sperm's 2006 plan:

(I got the cap #'s mostly from aec4's page, just to give credit where it's due.)

Cut Chad. Just do it. $12M to keep, $12M to cut. Off quick like a band-aid. Alternative is $12 million & then if he can't play or "miraculously" gets injured again, another $9M to cut him next year. $12 million is less than $21 million. Before the March 1 roster bonus. Off the books forever. Est cap savings = $0 in ';06; $7-9M in '07.

Cut Curtis. Ideally before June 1 if feasible. If cut after June 1, there's >$4M in dead cap space for '07. I don’t want a restructure (which of course requires giving him even MORE up-front money that will still have to come off the cap later). He is our past, not our present & certainly not our future. Let Houston & Blaylock split carries & maybe draft someone in the later rounds. Est cap savings $2M-$6M. If $2M he's off the books forever; if $6M, still take a $4M hit in '07.

Cut Law. Obviously we're not going to pay his $11M roster bonus in March. Est cap savings $11-$12M by not paying the outrageous roster bonus + salary. Off the books forever.

Cut Fabini. He's done anyway. Cut before June 1. Est cap savings $3M. Off the books forever. He can re-sign at/near the vet min as a backup LT/RT if no one else wants him.

Cut Kendall. No more restructuring of old players. He'll be 33 next season. Maybe cut him after June 1st to save $4M in '06 & leave only $1M in dead space for '07.

Cut Gardner if his salary is in fact $750K & there was no SB. Saves $750K for '06

Sowell: Cut(?) Everyone seems to think he's definitely getting cut for cap reasons. Our cap page says he counts $750 with a savings of only ~$700K to cut him after June 1. Maybe $750K is too much for a good veteran FB but it doesn't seem that high to me. Leaves $300K dead space on '07 cap. Doesn't seem to pay to cut him before that for only $400K savings now.

Cut Fiedler. Something's off here. Our cap page says he only counts $1.1M to keep. If that's true definitely keep him assuming he's healed. But I remember reading he'll count $4M on next year's cap, leading me to believe his roster bonus is more like $3M not $250K. If that's the case it knocks that bonus & his $770K salary (tot ~$3.8M) off the '06 cap & off the books forever.

Keep Mawae if possible without restructuring. His contract is up through '07. He's got a pretty hefty cap #. But we'll need a new OG & RT, both potentially rookies. While I'm all for drafting a C, you can't have a first-time HC with 3 rookies on the OL.

Abraham: franchise him again. If someone offers a 2nd rounder, trade his 1-dimensional ass. His trade value will not increase as he approaches his 30s & particularly if (when) he gets injured for 6 games again.

Keep Bollywood as at least a #3. Not too many #3 QB's in the league with a salary under $500K that have half a season of NFL starting experience.

Draft Day:

I'm not a guru by any means, but here's the plan, & I don't know if it';s possible. Trading down is the idea & build up the lines is the top overall priority. Cutting a lot of old weight on the cap & I don't want another player with contract terms somewhere between DRob & Chad & they've never played a snap in the NFL. But trade down enough. Can't trade down all at once to #15 or lower b/c the compensation would be too high (the #15 team would have to surrender all their first 6 draft picks to move up to #4 & make it mathematically even). So do it a little at a time so no one team has to surrender their entire draft, which only Ditka would do anyway. (I'm making up teams here for the sake of math, but it can be give-or-take to these positions):

Trade from 1.4 (1800 pts) down to 1.10 (1300 pts) for 2.10 (480pts) and 7.10 (11pts).

If Cutler is gone,

Trade down from 1.10 (1300pts, with 4.20, 62pts) to 1.17 (950pts) for 2.17 (410pts)

Net trade away = 1.4 and 4.20. (also not losing the $15M difference in cap/bonus money for that #4)

Net acquire = 1.17, 2.10, 2.17, 7.10

1.10 QB Jay Cutler

If Cutler is already gone,

Trade down from 1.10 (with 4.20) to 1.17 for 2.17

1.17: OG Max Jean-Giles (plow the road, baby. Plowwwww itttttt)

2.04: Best RT prospect still available (it'd be nice to be able to run the ball again)

2.10: NT Babatunde Oshinowo (need a run stuffer whether it's 3-4 or 4-3)

2.17: C Greg Eslinger (groom behind Mawae, possible start at G)

(2nd-rounder for Abe = take BPA from DE/LB/DB or OL if we didn't trade down from 1.10)

next pick/beyond: I'm not a draft guru, so someone else can take it from there but I do like that 260-lb FB Bernstein in the 5th if he's still there. We still have 3.04, 4.04, 5.04, 6.04, 7.04, 7.17, plus compensatory picks (Jordan/KMac). I just want our lines to be shored up for the next 5 years.

RB: I know everyone's gaga about the top 3 guys (and they're all impressive), but each would probably cost a top-10 pick. Thing is, if you have a dominant OL and lose one guy to injury, you can still perform. Have a dominant RB behind a mediocre line & he gets hurt then the season could be lost down the drain. Don't expect every RB we have to start like 50 straight games or whatever it was. They get hurt. A lot. For 2006 I'd stay with Houston/Blaylock and draft a high upside guy since we already have hold-the-fort guys.

So to sum up, we'd end up with:

-A good, young OL with some depth.

-A good, young DL that’s truly able to switch from 3-4 to 4-3; can stop the run either way.

-Maybe a franchise QB.

-A HB tandem of Houston/Blaylock for 1 year.

-Cut all the big dead weight off the '07 salary cap except for a possible Mawae cut at $1.7M,

Seen many posts here and elsewhere refer to a draft trade value chart. Is it on line? Can you post it?

Martin getting cut is inevitable. He's a class guy, but 33/34 year old RBs are done. He's not outperforming history. As pointed out in another thread, the tandem backfield is the wave of the day.

They have little choice but to franchise Abraham and hope somebody comes a'calling.

Pennington is the tough one, because no matter how you do it it's a mess.

Sperm's 2006 plan:

(I got the cap #'s mostly from aec4's page, just to give credit where it's due.)

Cut Chad. Just do it. $12M to keep, $12M to cut. Off quick like a band-aid. Alternative is $12 million & then if he can't play or "miraculously" gets injured again, another $9M to cut him next year. $12 million is less than $21 million. Before the March 1 roster bonus. Off the books forever. Est cap savings = $0 in ';06; $7-9M in '07.

Cut Curtis. Ideally before June 1 if feasible. If cut after June 1, there's >$4M in dead cap space for '07. I don

Curtis - UNLESS THERE IS A COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT BEFORE 3/1, THERE IS NO CUTTING OF PEOPLE AFTER 6/1 TO GET EXTRA SAVINGS

Aec4, that is a real good point. They asked Bradway about that on the Fan tonight. They said won't you guys have cap problems if there is no CBA?

He basically said that the Jets would have problems as would everyone else.

Aec4, that is a real good point. They asked Bradway about that on the Fan tonight. They said won't you guys have cap problems if there is no CBA?

He basically said that the Jets would have problems as would everyone else.

Exactly.. I've been talking about no new CBA for a while. I left the post 6/1 column up on the site because I assumed there would be a CBA by 3/1. I figure it's suicide for too many teams for them not to agree, and the player's union would be silly to not agree, because as soon as they agree, the cap probably shoots up 15%-20% with a new formula to calculate the revenues/etc.

that's cool. I didn't really spread too much out anyway, as I'm not a fan of it unless:

1) it's absolutely the only way to get under the cap

2) it frees up immed cap room on a win-now team

I didn't mean to come down so hard on you. Most of the times when people do the type of thing you did, they do not think it through. You did. You tried to be realistic. I have to give you credit for that.

who do you have playing QB next year?

Pretty slim pickings in FA this year. Also hard to say before knowing who our OC is going to be.

I like Simms but surrendering a 1st & a 3rd is too pricey (particularly when we have the #4 pick). RT becomes the blindside protector.

Jeff Garcia didn't look all that great, but Detroit had "slight" protection issues & for all the top-10 picks they spent Roy Williams was the only WR worth a damn so far.

Kitna will probably get locked up by Cincy with Palmer's knee injury.

Josh McCown can throw, but he's dumber than toenail clippings.

Warner is an option if he's not re-signed by Ari.

Jeff Garcia didn't look all that great, but Detroit had "slight" protection issues & for all the top-10 picks they spent Roy Williams was the only WR worth a damn so far.

Garcia is not an option. He's complete garbage. While the problems in Detroit weren't all the QB, he has a track record of poor play over the past couple seasons.

Sperm's 2006 plan:

Cut Curtis. Ideally before June 1 if feasible. If cut after June 1, there's >$4M in dead cap space for '07. I don

SpermEdwards.

Well done. Very logical. I can see this actually playing out. I think Fabini will re-sign a more cap friendly contract, as I do not believe there is much of a market for him out there. However, he will get near 1 million, not just the vets minimum. Still, not bad for a vet backup at R/T and L/T.

Quarterback is a tough one. I doubt the Jets will go with Brooks, even if Chad restructures and gets hurt in TC. Maybe Fiedler can work something out. Kitna is not available. And I don't want any Gus Ferrotte types. I'd rather Bollinger instead.

I believe Martin and Kendell are gone. Chad probably is , unless he agres to a massive restructuring, where he actually loses guaranteed money in the deal. I would cut Sowell, and let Askew show something, or he's gone. Too bad we didn't keep Derrick Ward from 2 years ago. But that's water over the bridge.I'm not convinced Mawae is a sure thing to stay. I see your point, regarding a young O.Line, but maybe it's best to start all new there.

One more thing. Anything that the Jets can do regarding D. Robs contract? How would it work cap-wise, if they let him loose?

These players will be back next season (some with new contracts):

Mawae, Curtis, Chad, Kendall

Fiedler should be brought back. It was a freak injury and I am not sure they will find a better player to start next season.

I didn't look up the cap impact but off the top of my head I would be really scared if my name was Legree, Barton or Fabini.

Fiedler should be brought back. It was a freak injury and I am not sure they will find a better player to start next season.

I like Fiedler as a backup or short term starter, however do you really want to go into camp with two QB's rehabbing a shoulder? That's a big gamble.

I like Fiedler as a backup or short term starter, however do you really want to go into camp with two QB's rehabbing a shoulder? That's a big gamble.

The ideal situation IMO would be:

1. Short term veteran starter

2. Fiedler

3. Chad

Brooks did great this year. We lost almost every game he played. I have seen enough. But I know they will keep him as the 3rd. Which screws us up BIG TIME.

Maybe Kordell Stewart will come here and be the 5th WR \ 1st QB.

2. Fiedler

3. Chad

Brooks did great this year. We lost almost every game he played. I have seen enough. But I know they will keep him as the 3rd. Which screws us up BIG TIME.

if the jets can't trade down in the draft then i would look at leinert or cutler @ 4, solidify the oline and give him the keys to the castle.

Fiedler is GONE..

They will force Chad to restructure or cut him..

Bradway LOVES Cutler..dont be surprised if they land him in the first round..(hopefully after trading down a few spots)...They can then sign Kitna in free agency..

If Chad is here he'll be a #2 or #3..if we cut him, bolly is #3

2. Fiedler

3. Chad

I think Fiedler will have a tougher comeback by training camp than Chad will.

Archived