Who should be the new General Manager?

sec101row23

I believe that they are going to keep MacCagnan because the Johnson boys aren’t going to eat 2 extensions.  We can only hope that they are willing to eat the Bowles contract.  If in fact they were going to replace Mac I wou want it to be with an experienced GM.  As with any position coach, GM etc there is a growth period while they feel their way through the new job.  I personally believe that Mac has improved year over year from when he first took over.  He has certainly had his share of misses but he is actually starting to hit on some.  

We can argue whether Adams was a good pick at 6 but we cert can’t argue that he is a quality player.  Williams at 6 looks like a poor pick in hindsight but at the time was considered a no brained by most.  Peake has helped with special teams as a 7th rounder, Anderson is solid as an undrafted free agent.  Picking up Anderson from the Colts for a 7th was a great move.  We are starting to get some production from Laggett and Herndon looks like the real deal as a 4th rounder.  Shell  has been solid as a 5th/4th, and the 2 running backs have shown some bright spots even though the jury is still out on them.  

As you can see most of the positives have been in the last two years.  He has still overpaid for “ name” free agents but other than Johnson those were pretty much in years 1 and 2.

1 hour ago, genot said:

Mac isn't going to be fired Shouldn't be fired. We're one good offseason away from being a playoff caliber team. If Sam played the entire year the way he played the last two games, we would be a 8-8, 9-7 team. Im not blaming Darnold. He's a 21 year old rookie learning how to play in the NFL.

You trust him to DRAFT the right players?  His drafts are well below average for current players on the team. 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Just curious name me one GM that consistently puts out a winning team year after year ? or even has a great draft year after year.... I can think of maybe 2 teams in the NFL that pull that off and that's the Pats and the Steelers and the Pats don't even draft particularly well. Most of what the Pats do is based on a fantastic system and a fantastic QB but sometimes I wonder who was more Important Bill or Tom. It's not easy to field a team of talented players year after year and to really hit that big year or a few years in a row of outstanding drafting is a very rare thing, always has been.

I feel Todd Bowles has had way too much input in who we draft and that seems to be confirmed since we draft so many players on defense in the early rounds we seem to reach in the later rounds to draft offense. You can always see Bowels extremely happy on draft day especially when we drafted 2 safeties he was high fiving everyone in the room. 

Macc came to this team when we still had some pieces from our two AFFCG teams and I'm sure he was told to win now and he added some nice players and came close but it was obvious the players Woody thought could push this team forward basically sh*t the bed in a big way. Revis Mangold Cromartie Brick Harris were all pretty much toast and then it was decided to blow it all up. Since the blow up Macc has not drafted particularly well but he has added some good young players from other teams which tells me he can spot talent at the pro level but his scouts have let him down on the college level. I think he deserves one chance..... a year or two to pick a HC and bring in a new philosophy. I think this team has some talent since we have played with most of the teams then just got out schemed in the second half of games. I have a hard time blaming that on the GM  

tl;dr

First sentence indicates Macc has a mixed record.  Macc has a losing record and the least amount of active NFL players drafted and his FA have been equally dreadful.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Actually you’re right about that 8-8 thing. We blew a 16 point lead a few weeks ago, then lost leads late in the 4th in at least two games I can remember, Cleveland and yesterday. I really don’t think we’re that far away. Most importantly, Darnold looks like a completely different QB since coming back from the injury. Don’t know what the heck they did with him, but it’s night and day.

Long. That’s the big difference. If I recall correctly, Long wasn’t snapping the ball bad the first few games. Darnold slumped as Long’s curveball improved. We still don’t have a good center, but at least this one can snap. 

Mac has been pretty bad in drafting. His first year, his worst. But he last draft is looking pretty good. Pre-draft trade to guarantee himself a franchise type QB and lucking into Darnold. Herndon looks promising. Shepard seems okay so far, and we have some backup/contribution potential out of 2 6th round picks. Anderson in a trade for a 7th is turning out to be a steal (hope we resign him).

Whether you like him or not, I think he gets another year or two unless their preferred HC won't come here because of him.

Archived