Johnson and Macc Prefer Different HC (Misleading

Grandy

1 hour ago, slats said:

Was gonna say the same thing. I don't buy Incarcerated Bob having any sources, but this is a safe educated guess. Another first-time head coach makes Maccagnan the senior guy in the organization. Mike McCarthy would come in with a Super Bowl pedigree, and the cache to overrule Mac on a variety of personnel decisions. Mac being out the door a year from now would probably be the likely outcome. 

While I'm not in love with McCarthy, this is one of the reasons I want the Jets to hire him. Much like @T0mShane's Idzik love, except, at least, McCarthy is competent. 

We should just agree in the future to hire actual assassins instead.

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

I think you’re giving Macc too much credit.  He’s not that smart nor devious.  He’s been in over his head since day 1 and if looking for anyone to make him look credible. Macc has shown a total aversion to risk since day 1.  If anything, I could see Macc pulling for the ‘safe’ pick in McCarthy.  

Hackenberg.  Aversion to risk?  Hackenberg

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I think you’re giving Macc too much credit.  He’s not that smart nor devious.  He’s been in over his head since day 1 and if looking for anyone to make him look credible. Macc has shown a total aversion to risk since day 1.  If anything, I could see Macc pulling for the ‘safe’ pick in McCarthy.  

Hiring a weak HC is being risk averse. They can’t fire another HC so quickly - let alone while keeping the same GM - so the fastest way for him to lose his job is if a HC with some clout marches into Chris Johnson’s office and says, “I’ve got someone better lined up.”

McCarthy is more likely to stick and be an attraction for a GM candidate than a college HC. That makes the college HC better for his job security.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i would certainly hope mac is working to build a winning team but that also means putting away any petty power struggle bs and getting a coach who can win.  no doubt mccarthy would want more say or influence over the players than a newbie.  if mac was stellar in getting his drafts right he might have a point but it's pretty clear he needs all the help he can get in choosing players.

It’s not about being petty. It’s about protecting his own ass.

Right now he has 2 years left on his contract. The best way to stay alive is with a HC who doesn’t have the clout/cachet to attract a new GM himself.

If the team isn’t doing well with a rookie HC then Johnson is still kind of boxed into keeping the GM. The only alternative is firing them both in 2020. This was the reason to fire Maccagnan with Bowles; he’s guaranteed 3 more years at least, no matter what. 

As @slats alluded to above, someone like McCarthy is the fastest way of getting rid of this pox on the Jets.

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hiring a weak HC is being risk averse. They can’t fire another HC so quickly - let alone while keeping the same GM - so the fastest way for him to lose his job is if a HC with some clout marches into Chris Johnson’s office and says, “I’ve got someone better lined up.”

McCarthy is more likely to stick and be an attraction for a GM candidate than a college HC. That makes the college HC better for his job security.

I see Macc as a 9-7/10-6 goal guy.   Building a dynasty is not even on his radar, he's just  praying for wc birth to hang on for a few more years and keep his job.   McCarthy was the answer to 9-7, I guess Gase is too - we'll see what he brings to the NYJ.   Not sure what to expect at all.   

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’s not about being petty. It’s about protecting his own ass.

Right now he has 2 years left on his contract. The best way to stay alive is with a HC who doesn’t have the clout/cachet to attract a new GM himself.

If the team isn’t doing well with a rookie HC then Johnson is still kind of boxed into keeping the GM. The only alternative is firing them both in 2020. This was the reason to fire Maccagnan with Bowles; he’s guaranteed 3 more years at least, no matter what. 

As @slats alluded to above, someone like McCarthy is the fastest way of getting rid of this pox on the Jets.

well, i guess gase is now the guy.  from many accounts he's pretty headstrong and not above telling people exactly what he thinks.  so maybe mac will get some heat for the bad players he's been drafting.

8 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I see Macc as a 9-7/10-6 goal guy.   Building a dynasty is not even on his radar, he's just  praying for wc birth to hang on for a few more years and keep his job.   McCarthy was the answer to 9-7, I guess Gase is too - we'll see what he brings to the NYJ.   Not sure what to expect at all.   

I see him as an “It doesn’t matter what the team’s record is I’ll survive like a cockroach after a nuclear holocaust” guy.

Archived