Senior Bowl - Tuesday North Practice

Smizzy

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/...s/north124.html

January 24, 2006

Senior Bowl - Tuesday North Practice

Scott Wright

President, NFL Draft Countdown

After a relatively small crowd yesterday the stands were noticeably more full today with a lot of scouts and pro personnel in attendance. One guy who I have not been as impressed with as I thought I would be is Vandy's Jay Cutler. Don't get me wrong because he hasn't been bad, but I am not sure I see a Top 10 overall pick there. He has a cannon for an arm but he might have been trying to show that off too much today and he was off on some of his passes. Also, his backdrop looks kind of choppy and he carries the ball a little low. The guy who I did like is Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst, who looked sharp, throws a good deep ball and has enough arm to hit the deep out. He will be a great value for someone if he is still around in the 3rd to 4th round area. Penn State's Michael Robinson was a little better today but is still clearly out of his league as a quarterback with this group. At running back Jerome Harrison of Washington St. was the most impressive and looked good while Terrence Whitehead of Oregon broke some tackles and had a nice run. It was a terrible day for the wideouts as nobody could catch a cold, with Jason Avant of Michigan looking particularly bad as he wasn't able to separate and dropped a bunch of passes. Demetrius Williams of Oregon had some drops as well. Notre Dame's Maurice Stovall probably looked the best of the bunch but that isn't saying much and even he bobbled and dropped a ball. After showing off his blocking skills yesterday Dominique Byrd of USC had a couple of catches and displayed good hands while Colorado's Joe Klopfenstein had another catch about 20 yards down the field. Along the offensive line D'Brickashaw Ferguson continues to impress while Ryan O'Callaghan of Cal and Daryn Colledge of Boise St. were both excellent again as well. Southern Cal's Deuce Lutui struggled mightily while Mark Setterstrom of Minnesota bounced back with a good day.

On defense Gabe Watson of Michigan is still a stud and although he isn't much of a pass rusher he gets great push and penetration versus the run. If I am a 3-4 team in need of a nose tackle he is at or near the top of my list because he could be outstanding in that role. Boston College's Mathias Kiwanuka battled Ferguson and Colledge a lot but I have noticed he really lacks a variety of pass rush moves and is basically an outside speed rusher. He needs to diversify if he wants to be a star at the pro level because what he does now just will not get the job done on a consistent basis. On the injury front, Jonathan Lewis of Virginia Tech sat out practice and was in shorts after getting nicked up yesterday. At linebacker Chad Greenway of Iowa continued to be a leader and coach on the field while looking natural in coverage and Brian Iwuh of Colorado impressed and displayed great range.

I spent a lot of time watching the defensive backs today and came away impressed as this is a solid group from top to bottom. Will Blackmon of B.C. looked natural, quick and smooth in drills and hasn't missed a beat while Tye Hill of Clemson showed of his speed and athleticism to go along with a physical and aggressive approach. Darrell Hunter of Miami (OH) had a great day as well, showing the quick feet and good ball skills that is drawing him a lot of interest from scouts. A guy who surprised me with how well he played is David Pittman of Northwestern St. (LA) and he could be one of the top sleepers in this draft when all is said and done. At safety Anthony Smith of Syracuse finished well and flashed top intangibles while Jahmile Addae picked off a Charlie Whitehurst pass near the end of practice.

As I said there were a lot of big names around the field today, including Charley Casserly, Nick Saban, Romeo Crennel, Jon Gruden (who took a special interest in the defensive backs) and Andy Reid just to name a few. Once again scouts scampered onto the field following practice to talk with prospects and here is a rundown of who I saw each team with: San Diego had a major presence and they were seen talking to Joe Klopfenstein, Martin Nance, Davin Joseph, and Charles Spencer. The Dallas Cowboys gave a lot of attention to Gabe Watson while Miami chatted up Charlie Whitehurst. Cleveland spoke with Maurice Stovall, Abdul Hodge, Dominique Byrd, Babatunde Oshinowo, Davin Joseph, Victor Adeyanju, and Demetrius Williams. The Jets were seen with Mathias Kiwanuka and Michael Robinson, the Giants with Chad Greenway, the Redskins with Dominique Byrd and the Eagles with Tye Hill, David Pittman, Mike Bell, and Michael Robinson. Meanwhile Kansas City showed interest in Gabe Watson, Davin Joseph, Mark Setterstrom, Anwar Phillips, Michael Robinson, and Deuce Lutui. Cincinnati was also making the rounds and was seen with Brian Iwuh, Jon Alston, Davin Joseph, Darryl Tapp and Nick Mangold. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was chatted up by scouts from Carolina and Cleveland while Denver and the Panthers talked with Cedric Humes. Carolina was also extremely active and others they were seen with include Maurice Stovall, Jason Avant, Derek Hagan, and Terrence Whitehead. Finally, Jacksonville had two scouts with Anthony Smith, Baltimore was with D'Qwell Jackson and Lawrence Vickers, and both Tennessee and Oakland spoke with Darrell Hunter. As you can see it was real active! Overall it was a good day and this squad got a lot more exposure and attention than they did on Monday.

On defense Gabe Watson of Michigan is still a stud and although he isn't much of a pass rusher he gets great push and penetration versus the run. If I am a 3-4 team in need of a nose tackle he is at or near the top of my list because he could be outstanding in that role.

Watson is a beast who has the size and tools to dominate at NG in the NFL. he already has a reputation for being lazy - i wonder what is going to happen when a team puts a couple million dollars in his pocket?

Watson is a beast who has the size and tools to dominate at NG in the NFL. he already has a reputation for being lazy - i wonder what is going to happen when a team puts a couple million dollars in his pocket?

I agree.

Grabing Watson at 36 would be a great deal for us.

D'Brick at 4

Watson at 36

3rd round pick can be used on either DE or RB...possibly WR / QB / OT again

the way he is playing this week he will go 20 slots higher than the Jets second round pick.

hey by the way not to dis the job Wright does but there's a boatload of new info on DD.com, including South practice notes and pics from both sessions. Check the blog! Do it! dO IT now!

Well... considering that ass kicker they have at Michigan *snicker*... Gabe'll be fine, as long as he's kept in check.

Whoever drafts Will Blackmon of Boston College will get a real good player- the BC staff made him shift from defensive back to receiver this year so he will be under the radar for alot of people

Isn't Blackmon also a damn good return-man? I was watching him on the NFL Network yesterday and he impressed the hell out of me. Anyone know his projected round?

Isn't Blackmon also a damn good return-man? I was watching him on the NFL Network yesterday and he impressed the hell out of me. Anyone know his projected round?

I can not give the projected round but you are right Troll he also is a good returner. He will be a multi-dimensional player for the team that drafts him

Robinson is making a huge mistake not practicing some at WR.

Most of these QB's are so moronic, it unbelievable.....Watch Brad Smith and Barrick Nealy humilate themselves in the Hula Bowl?

They were like 5 of 20 combined....I felt bad for the receivers, who didn't have chance to show their skills....While the QB's in East-West game were bombing away, these clowns were picking up 5 yard runs and thinking they were Vince Young #-o

It seems these "Eric Crouch type" running QB's get their tail kissed 24/7 in college and think they are "it"

"it" being the player that will change the NFL as a running QB.....If Mike Vick hasn't done, off the chart physical skills, why do they think they can?

If they had any brains, they'd look at the wallets of Matt Jones, Hines Ward, Drew Bennett, Randel El and others and see being a NFL receiver isn't a bad thing!

Seneca Wallace of the Seahawks bucked convential wisdom and has made it as a QB (not a WR).....But with Hassleback being fairly young, what will Wallace remember about his career?

Playing in exhibition games and holding a clipboard, instead of possibly being an impact receiver? :oops:

Most of these QB's are so moronic, it unbelievable.....Watch Brad Smith and Barrick Nealy humilate themselves in the Hula Bowl?

They were like 5 of 20 combined....I felt bad for the receivers, who didn't have chance to show their skills....While the QB's in East-West game were bombing away, these clowns were picking up 5 yard runs and thinking they were Vince Young #-o

It seems these "Eric Crouch type" running QB's get their tail kissed 24/7 in college and think they are "it"

"it" being the player that will change the NFL as a running QB.....If Mike Vick hasn't done, off the chart physical skills, why do they think they can?

If they had any brains, they'd look at the wallets of Matt Jones, Hines Ward, Drew Bennett, Randel El and others and see being a NFL receiver isn't a bad thing!

Seneca Wallace of the Seahawks bucked convential wisdom and has made it as a QB (not a WR).....But with Hassleback being fairly young, what will Wallace remember about his career?

Playing in exhibition games and holding a clipboard, instead of possibly being an impact receiver? :oops:

lol, probably that one catch he had last weekend, ironically. Seneca Wallace could probably still make it as a wideout, hes still pretty young(i think), and the right coaching could turn him into a #3 reciever...which, while that might not be the greatest thing in the world, atleast he'd see some reg. season action once and a while.

lol, probably that one catch he had last weekend, ironically. Seneca Wallace could probably still make it as a wideout, hes still pretty young(i think), and the right coaching could turn him into a #3 reciever...which, while that might not be the greatest thing in the world, atleast he'd see some reg. season action once and a while.

I agree 100%....Wallace would be a nice inside, slot receiver...

But there is something about that QB spot which makes these cats crazy....Best Brad Smith could do was the Hula Bowl, because he badly wanted to be a QB -- Despite a million NFL teams telling him no way at QB....

Robinson is barely 6' 1" (maybe less) and has zero accuracy...At least try WR in Mobile?

Any of these players learn a lesson from Matt Jones?

If Matt Jones forced the QB issue, he'd be out looking for a CFL backup job :oops:

Teams that put more stock in Senior Bowl practices, or Combines, rather than on the field performance over the last 4 years are IDIOTS...

This guy doesn't know what a top 10 QB should look like...so Cutler missed a few passes!

big deal...Workout warriors dont win games!

the wide reciever and tight end positions have been very different the past couple of years. A lot of speedy, athletic quarterbacks HAVE done what matt jones did...while you see big athletic basketball types as the best tight ends. I think it just goes to show how the recieving aspect of the game is changing, and that a lot of guys who get overlooked in the draft(aka gates)are coming in as top notch outlets for the quarterback. Im not saying that it discredits those positions, but it does enable a team to be more flexable, b/c of how the past few years have shown success from types of players once never looked at before.

Archived