What is the 2005 Off-Season Game plan??

Warfish

Can anyone figure it out so far? I have to assume Bradway, herm and Co. have a specific plan in mind (even if it's a bad plan, no pro-GM/Coach goes inot the offseason plan-less.)

So what is the plan? :shock:

Here's what we've done to-date (the major stuff):

--Allowed Lamont Jordan (RB) to leave (to Oakland)

--Allowed Kareem McKenzie (OT) to leave (to NY Giants)

--Unable to Convince Jason Furgeson (DT) to stay, he leaves (to Dallas)

--allowed Backup/Special teamer Jason Glenn (LB) to leave (to Houston?)

--allowed Anthony Becht (TE) to leave (to Tampa Bay)

--Traded Sam Cowart to Vikings for a 7th Rounder (w/ associated Cap Hit)

--Traded Santana Moss (WR) for Laverneus Coles (WR).

--Fired paul Hackett. Hired the Dinger as O-Co.

--Signed Derrick Blaylock (RB) to replace Jordan.

--Signed Barry Gardner (LB) to replace Glenn.

--Signed Jay Fiedler (QB) as backup QB (to replace FA QB Quincy Carter, who is not invited back).

I think that covers pretty much all the real relevant player personell moves so far.

So, where are we? We started the 2005 off-season with signifigant needs at CB, Safety and TE.

We now stand with signifigant needs at CB, Safety, TE, OT, DT. We also have a disgruntled injury-prone star DE who is demanding out or a big contract.

So where does that put us? Can we really think we'll fill 5 pretty big holes via the 2005 draft? Will some older draft picks (like Washington at safety, Jones at OT, Strait at CB, etc.) be given starting jobs, for better or worse.

What is the plan?

Right now, today, with granted a LARGE aount of offseason left to go, I am not happy with the offseason so far. IMO the Jets have become a worse team than 2004 with the moves (an non-moves) so far.

Now....don;t get me wrong, I DO believe that the offseason can be salvaged, and even still be a GREAT offseason (like I feel the 2004 offseason was). But to have that happen, alot of things need to come together.

As I see it.....to recover the offseason, the Jets F.O. must:

--Find a quality replacemnt Tackle, either via FA or a high round draft choice. From what I've seen, Adrian Jones is not yet the answer.

--Find a quality run-killing DT, again via FA or a high round pick.

--I can live with it if the Jets go into 2005 with Starit as a signifigant spot at CB (perhaps even #2) and with either Washington, McGraw or Tongue (or a combo) at Safety. I'm not happy with it, but I think we could deal with it, certainly more than the losses at DT and OT.

--Find a TE. I like Baker, and wish he had shown more in his playing time, but I cannot in good faith think he's the answer at TE....yet. Perhaps he'll break out in 2005, but can we really hope for that? Perhaps a 3rd or 4th round pick for a TE?

--WR? Coles I like, and I think his foot is fine. McCareains I like, and I think he'll develop more this year. And Cotchery I like too, although I'd like to see more. But #4 on? We got nothing....Chrebet is too old (sad, but true)....Carter is too injury ridden for his talent-level and is a one-trick pony anyway.......Perhaps a mid-to late round pick for WR, preferably a tall and strong one, even if a bit slower.

What else? What else do we need to have a better team in 2005? Anything?

Please, discuss.

Well as of right now the Jets are not a better team than last years group. I agree with some of the players the Jets let go but I can't understand not replacing them with anyone. Hopefully there is a plan.........but there probably isn't.

Right now, today, with granted a LARGE aount of offseason left to go, I am not happy with the offseason so far. IMO the Jets have become a worse team than 2004 with the moves (an non-moves) so far.

Fish, I think you might be over reacting just a bit at this time.

Your comment above (alot of off-season to go) is so true.

To me, it looks like the FO has made a concious effort not to overspend in the FA market. That includes not giving current players ridiculous long-term contracts.

Although the draft is not especially strong in the top-end this year, it is deep with players that could make immediate contributions on an NFL team.

What happens if the Jets find players in the first four rounds who either start or see significant playing time? Alot of you needs would be quickly filled.

Bottom line I guess, it's way too early to evaluate (or get excited or disappointed) by what has gone on so far during this off-season.

Relax, chill out and evaluate the off-season when the regular season starts. :wink:

if this thread was posted on say another jet site :roll: it would be met with..."it's still early," "the sky's not falling," "pat williams is old," "fred smoot is'nt worth the money," "nobody even knew who jeb putzier was until the offer sheet." of course, any responses like the one i've listed are shortly met with..."finally, a voice of reason!!" :shock:](*,)

IMO, two out of the three players mentioned above would have made us an effin bear going into the draft. i wish i knew what to do know. must of my guys are already of the board. oh yeah, yeah. how did i forget..."we picked up pete kendell after the june 1st cuts." nobody mentions kendell only got cut because he & dennis green hate each other. but i guess that would be splitin' hairs.

Drafting a franchise LT is the # 1 priority, since all decent OT's are off the market at the moment. Barron, Brown, or Barnes in round 1 solves that crises.

At CB, we do need an upgrade. But do we need to make that happen now? I don't think we can afford to. I feel that we can go into 2005 with who we have plus a middle-round draft choice. I wouldn't mind seeing Barrett and Strait as the starters.

SS is another issue, however. I would fill this gap in the draft as well, preferably with Ernest Shazor in round 2 or 3. However, if Thomas Davis falls to us at 26, it would be very tempting to grab him and look to get Adam Terry in round 2 if possible.

at TE I would continue to pursue Jeb Putzier. If not, Chris Baker or a draft choice may just be who we pin our hopes to.

As for John Abraham, if he can be moved, we should make it happen. I'm praying every day that Dallas is stupid enough to sign him to an offer sheet, but otherwise, I wouldn't mind a trade.

In the end, other than the draft, we may have to wait for June 1 for anything major to happen. I'm not optimistic about that.

Can anyone figure it out so far? I have to assume Bradway, herm and Co. have a specific plan in mind (even if it's a bad plan, no pro-GM/Coach goes inot the offseason plan-less.)

So what is the plan? :shock:

What else? What else do we need to have a better team in 2005? Anything?

Please, discuss.

I think the plan is to tread water...

What do they have to do? Well, install the new offense, first and foremost. And there's the draft. And signing other free agents. Finding a big hole plugging DT (Marcus Bell is still out there!), adding CB depth, adding SS depth, getting a new RT, and a fast receiver, to compliment the rest of the core... can he fire himself?

The 2005 Offseason plan actually started in 2004 with the resigning of Chad and Ellis.

Abraham will be traded I bet so that changes the draft big time.

In short, there is still time, the sky is not falling!

The 2005 Offseason plan actually started in 2004 with the resigning of Chad and Ellis.

Abraham will be traded I bet so that changes the draft big time.

In short, there is still time, the sky is not falling!

Like I said earlier, way too early to evaluate the off-season.

But giving a QB a long-term $64 million contract who has yet to play 16 regular season gams? :shock::shock:

How friggn' stupid is that?

Like I said earlier, way too early to evaluate the off-season.

But giving a QB a long-term $64 million contract who has yet to play 16 regular season gams? :shock::shock:

How friggn' stupid is that?

What choice did they have? Let him become a free agent? After the Redskins fiasco the year before Bradway had one choice. Sign this kid and hope he is good.

Time will tell how good he is. But getting the deal done was a necessity.

What choice did they have? Let him become a free agent? After the Redskins fiasco the year before Bradway had one choice. Sign this kid and hope he is good.

Time will tell how good he is. But getting the deal done was a necessity.

What are you talking about?

The Jets elected to extend PennyBoy's contract.

Nice move for someone who has never played 16 games in his entire NFL career. :shock::shock:

Can someone please explain to me what this significant CB need is? For god's sakes, Barrett played pretty darn well in the 2nd half of last season, and Abe at least held his own. We have Mickens coming back, and we have Strait who we all screamed and cheered about when he was drafted last year. Alot of the times our secondary was burned last year, it was E Coleman getting burned, not the CB's. This was to be expected from a rookie S and he certainly will improve. Furthermore, there isn't any pressing dire need for a S either. We have Coleman and McGraw. The pressing need at S is to have a decent bakup since McGraw is so damn fragile. While I don't love Tongue very much, he is a capable backup. We also have Washington who some of you claimed was the 2nd coming of R Lott and the steal of the century.

We have needs at OT, and for a decent DT. Not a stud DT, just a decent guy who can stop the run. Legree isn't that guy IMO, but if he, Reed, and Harper battle it out during camp I think one of them will emerge. But like I said, OT is the absolute most glaring and pressing need we have. We will need a miracle come June 1st, or will have to consider Terry from SEA who was recently cut.

Baker seems to be the choice at TE, so we need a backup or at least a guy who can ompete with him. Having Dearth at TE is a scary proposition if Baker goes down given our urrent TE situation.

WR is set. We have no need at WR, nor did we ever this offseason. The Coles for Moss deal was fine in my book, but that is all we need.

D Brien needs to go. Being content with him is a problem in my book. Even though he is still a decent kicker, you can't put him in the situation he will be in next year playing in NY. One missed kick and the fans will put him in a fetal position.

Nice move for someone who has never played 16 games in his entire NFL career. :shock::shock:

He had no choice but to extend his contract Tx, you know that. They didn't have a back up capable of playing full time (or at all). And, look at the grand pickings at QB this offseason! I mean, they would have had to pay more for Chad, potentially... especially when you see the contracts handed out to crap.

If Bradway didn't resign him and Chad walked Bradway would have been FIRED. The Jets had no choice to resign him.

That being said the contract looks high right now. After the Super Bowl victory next season it will look like a bargain.

The truth lies somewhere in between! :P

Im happy with our CB's. i think Strait will step up and into a bigger role next season and Barrett is better than anybody thought. Im more worried about the holes not being filled.

It's nice to say " we will fill it thru the draft" but if you think A) we can fill every hole thru the draft or B)all our draft picks can come in and Play on the NFL level day 1, when needed... then id say you need to rethink your plan. Who knows what the draft will bring us. Do we move up ? Does our guy fall? Do we reach for a pick?

ME? Id rather have our holes filled and our needs minimized before the draft. id be a lot more comfortable with that.

The Jets have lost two starters. One they tried to keep(Ferguson) and one they let go(McKenzie).

The Jets tried to resign Jordan. Lamont took the starter job in Oakland. Nothing The Jets could have done about that. Jets offered a backup 5 years 20 million. Jordan took the starters job.

Part of this offseason was keeping the 3 best players on the team, Pennington, Ellis and Abraham. Mission accomplished.

The Jets have only two starting positions open on their entire team. This is a good young team with very few holes.

OT and DT. That's it.

The Jets did their big changes last year with the signings of Kendall, McCareins, Barrett and Barton.

The Jets drafted really well last year and they upgraded at WR with Coles this offseason.

They replaced Jordan and got insurance at QB.

Jets didn't have to throw money around this offseason. Their holes were already filled last year.

The Jets have lost two starters. One they tried to keep(Ferguson) and one they let go(McKenzie).

The Jets tried to resign Jordan. Lamont took the starter job in Oakland. Nothing The Jets could have done about that. Jets offered a backup 5 years 20 million. Jordan took the starters job.

Part of this offseason was keeping the 3 best players on the team, Pennington, Ellis and Abraham. Mission accomplished.

I thought Ellis & Penny getting signed early would leave us ready to make moves when free agency hit & all we did was slap a tag on Abe,no work required there.

So basically we got our stuff done early and are waiting for the free agent market to shake out...once again.

I think bradway is gonna fill his needs in the draft and hope for a good DT getting cut june 1st, which is likely

imagine pairing WARREN SAPP with mini sapp???

warren always said he like drob, and I am sure that the fat*** would love to play in NY for hermy. :lol::lol:

La'Roi Glover might get cut as well.

But we REALLY need a stud tackle. Fabini is a decent left tackle, BUT I AM NOT satisfied with starting some 295lb 2nd year TE/LT.......AT RIGHT TACKLE.

2nd on the most needed list is a DEFENSIVE TACKLE. Legree is JAG, Harper gets pushed around like a rag doll, and even if tank reed resigns he is nothing more than a situation pass rusher due to his asthma. NOW if josh evans returns, and he probably will, it will give a huge boost to the Dline. He guaranteed pro bowl last season before he was put on IR, so if he can come out, play well in preaseason we might not need another DT, but I am not counting on Josh Evans to come through for us.

SS, CB, TE........those are just positions that could use UPGRADES, not holes, but big upgrades nonetheless. we have 2nd year thorpe award winner Derrick Strait to be our #2 next year. Chris Baker is already an improvement over Becht, and if McGraw could stay healthy for a 16 game season he could become one of the leagues top safeties. I really believe that. He hits hard, he covers well, he is VERY smart and has great instincts to jump routes (just drops too many ints because he gets to happy)

If I had it my way. We would draft Jamaal Brown in the 1st, Ernest Shazor in the 2nd, a DT in the 3rd, and a RB in the 4th (HOUSTON).

Start Derrick Strait if not for his bad combine when he was hurt, he would have been a 1st rd pick, he can really play.

Archived