Notre Dame is ablaze

31 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

They can't get ahead of it, most of the roof is down, just protecting the exposures now. ******* horrible. 1000 year old Cathedral. Wow. 

I pray this was an accident, but if not..... the DGSE does NOT **** around. 

Cannot f-ing believe this. What a gorgeous cathedral.  

Haven't been since 1999 and I don’t think I was going back to Paris anytime soon but goddam this sucks. 

Glad I took the kids to see it at least that one time. 

So the architect in charge of the fire plan thought the timbers wouldn’t burn quickly so there was no auto fire alarm 

the fire department wasn’t called for 31 minutes 

someone had to make a 6 minute walk up steep steps to confirm the fire before any action was taken 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

So the architect in charge of the fire plan thought the timbers wouldn’t burn quickly so there was no auto fire alarm 

someone had to make a 6 minute walk up steep steps to confirm the fire before any action was taken 

Then that lays at the feet of the Fire Marshal in charge of plan review and implementation of Fire Code (whatever standard they use in France).

Per NFPA 1 and 101, an assembly that size would be mandated to have at the very least a fire alarm and notification system. And even a historic structure can and obviously should be retrofitted with a Fire Sprinkler system in some capacity for fire protection. Also, FD access issues should have been addressed years ago, and updated to accommodate new apparatus.

But I'm not the Paris Fire Marshal.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

So 800 year old dried out timbers wouldn't burn quickly.  Brilliant !

3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

So 800 year old dried out timbers wouldn't burn quickly.  Brilliant !

Somethings about the type of wood but yeah real bright 

they actually factored that into the fire safety plan 

they thought they had 20 minutes