OT: NFL Drafts Producing 0 HOFers

This isn't really important but the football geek in me thought it was interesting:

I was watching a video about the 1984 NFL draft and how it was affected by the USFL poaching players.  They made the point that 0 players from the regular NFL draft that year made the hall of fame (note that this excludes the "supplemental draft" where 3 players - Steve Young, Gary Zimmerman and Reggie White - were HOFers).  I then did some research thinking that would be the only draft that had 0 HOFers.  However, the 1992 draft also had 0 HOFers.  Very surprising to me that hundreds of players could be taken in a draft and none would turn out to be a HOFer. 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This isn't really important but the football geek in me thought it was interesting:

I was watching a video about the 1984 NFL draft and how it was affected by the USFL poaching players.  They made the point that 0 players from the regular NFL draft that year made the hall of fame (note that this excludes the "supplemental draft" where 3 players - Steve Young, Gary Zimmerman and Reggie White - were HOFers).  I then did some research thinking that would be the only draft that had 0 HOFers.  However, the 1992 draft also had 0 HOFers.  Very surprising to me that hundreds of players could be taken in a draft and none would turn out to be a HOFer. 

Just shows you how rare that type of player is. Not like the Baseball HOF has become. They let anyone in there.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes and no. I agree, you would think it would be different. But when you think how many guys are in the HOF, compared to how many have been drafted over the years, it's not that crazy. The HOF is for guys that are considered to be dominant at their positions, for years. Players can make 1 or 2 Pro Bowls, be considered great draft picks, but not be HOF material. It is interesting, though.

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

it seems to have ebbs and flows. look at the nba.  the 1986 draft was a complete sh*tshow.  and then there are drafts where it's like 5 or 6 players will make it.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

it seems to have ebbs and flows. look at the nba.  the 1986 draft was a complete sh*tshow.  and then there are drafts where it's like 5 or 6 players will make it.

There were actually some decent players but a few of the big name guys had drug problems (Bias, Tarpley and Washburn).  Cavs fans probably think back fondly of that draft though (Brad Daugherty and Mark Price).