Jump to content
Maxman

### Jets \ Giants -- The Official Game Thread ###

Recommended Posts

Tankathon Update

 

PICK TEAM RECORD WIN% GB SOS
 
STREAK
 
1 0-9 .000 -- .557 Lost 9
 
2 1-8 .111 1.0 .532 Lost 3
 
3 2-8 .200 1.5 .469 Lost 6
 
4
 
 
2-7 .222 2.0 .472 Won 2
 
5
 
 
2-7 .222 2.0 .476 Won 1
 
6
 
 
2-7 .222 2.0 .595 Won 1
 
7 3-6 .333 3.0 .504 Won 1
 
8
 
 
3-6 .333 3.0 .534 Won 1
 
9 3-6 .333 3.0 .538 Won 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

On this board? No chance. 
 

Darnold haters will treat this as a loss 

Pretty much

 

No wonder these pussies like OBJ and Porzinigis are scared of NY

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

matt damon GIF

Oe of the most  disturbing movies ever, the kind of train wreck you cannot stop watching. Matt Damon didn't appear to be acting. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Does this mean we won't be having meaningful conversations anymore? That would break my phuckin' heart.

Does this mean Ann Margaret's not coming? 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Oe of the most  disturbing movies ever, the kind of train wreck you cannot stop watching. Matt Damon didn't appear to be acting. 

LOL.  You're right, the most disturbing part of this film is that Matt Damon did not seem like he was acting!!   Too funny!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
JJNTLNKBT5D5BO3744ZLLII7WM.JPG

I don't think you could find a more triggering picture for JetNation right now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't think you could find a more triggering picture for JetNation right now.

 

Belichick Jets.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

 

Belichick Jets.jpg

I'd imagine most people are already numb to that, by this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 11:40 PM, Maxman said:

Editors Note: Years ago someone made up a rule saying the game thread had to be started on midnight Sunday. You know what that has gotten us? A bunch of losses. This is the official game thread. Let's go Jets.

winter olympics applause GIF by SB Nation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JTJet said:

Yes RBs are not highly valued but as of right now (big emphasis on right now) you will never win that argument. 

Regardless of year, which team got a better player, 

Giants selecting an above average RB at 2

Or 

Jets selecting a below average DT at 3

Hands down the Giants, and so far it isnt even close. 

No, the argument is not RB vs DT, either one is stupid with the #2 overall. Gettleman's choice was to take Sam, a FQB, at #2 but he chose to take a RB.

RB's have a short shelf life while FQB's can last at least 10 years.

Gettleman thought that Barkley would make the Giants with  Eli and OBJ a playoff team. We saw how that worked out and they ending up with the #6 overall - and reached for Jones who would have been available later in the 1st round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't think you could find a more triggering picture for JetNation right now.

 

F497DA5E-98FD-41D7-8493-AE9ECC648F74.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 11:40 PM, Maxman said:

Let's go Jets, beat the Giants. Get this done. We don't want to hear any Danny Dimes talk. We don't want to hear anything from Giants fans except, wow Darnold is legit.

Time to go out and score over 30 points. The team is hurt but no excuses. Let's get Le'Veon Bell 100 yards on the ground and CONTROL THIS GAME.

This fan base needs a win. This team needs a win. We want to see the team that came out hungry against the Cowboys.

Welcome back Chris Herndon!

 

Editors Note: Years ago someone made up a rule saying the game thread had to be started on midnight Sunday. You know what that has gotten us? A bunch of losses. This is the official game thread. Let's go Jets.

 

SO much criticism and some butt fumbles when I did this.

Please form a line to the left to thank me for the win. I will get to you when I get to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maxman said:

SO much criticism and some butt fumbles when I did this.

Please form a line to the left to thank me for the win. I will get to you when I get to you.

My bad, it was only @T0mShane that butt fumbled me. We can ignore it, I originally thought it was an important poster or something like that.  :)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

No, the argument is not RB vs DT, either one is stupid with the #2 overall. Gettleman's choice was to take Sam, a FQB, at #2 but he chose to take a RB.

RB's have a short shelf life while FQB's can last at least 10 years.

Gettleman thought that Barkley would make the Giants with  Eli and OBJ a playoff team. We saw how that worked out and they ending up with the #6 overall - and reached for Jones who would have been available later in the 1st round.

You're the one that made the argument of which was a dumber move, RB at 2 or DT at 3. I just provided you the correct answer.

They clearly didnt reach for Jones though in retrospect. 

If Gettleman saw what he could do, a few others more than likely did too, as there was no guarantee he would be there when they picked again at 17 (this is what happens with qbs in the draft) Redskins, Dolphins, Bengals could have snatched him easily, and the Titans and Broncos may have traded up to get him. So that makes him smart that he took him when he did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, because "building around Jamal" has worked great the last 2.5 seasons. 
He's a nice piece but not a CENTERPIECE.  When you need 5 new OL, 2 new CB's, 1-2 EDGE guys and another WR, you can't afford to pay Jamal AND sacrifice the picks you could get for him in a trade.  We need help on both sides of the ball at multiple premium positions.  

You need leaders on a football team, he is a great one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Rexorcism said:


You need leaders on a football team, he is a great one.

Jamal Adams is the cherry on the cake.

Trouble is, we don't have a cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rexorcism said:

You need leaders on a football team, he is a great one.

You mean the same leadery leader that threw a fit when he wasn't traded and doesn't want to be here?  OK.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JTJet said:

You're the one that made the argument of which was a dumber move, RB at 2 or DT at 3. I just provided you the correct answer.

They clearly didnt reach for Jones though in retrospect. 

If Gettleman saw what he could do, a few others more than likely did too, as there was no guarantee he would be there when they picked again at 17 (this is what happens with qbs in the draft) Redskins, Dolphins, Bengals could have snatched him easily, and the Titans and Broncos may have traded up to get him. So that makes him smart that he took him when he did.

The Giants had the #2 overall pick at a time when Eli was way past his prime and absolutely needed to be replaced. After the Browns took Faker Mayfield they were sitting there with their choice of three potential FQB's and Gettleman chose a RB. The Jets had their FQB when they picked at #3 the next year.

 

In today's NFL the RB position is not worth even a low first round pick, especially to a team that needs a complete rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

The Giants had the #2 overall pick at a time when Eli was way past his prime and absolutely needed to be replaced. After the Browns took Faker Mayfield they were sitting there with their choice of three potential FQB's and Gettleman chose a RB. The Jets had their FQB when they picked at #3 the next year.

 

In today's NFL the RB position is not worth even a low first round pick, especially to a team that needs a complete rebuild.

Again, I'm not arguing that part of your statement. Only that hindsight is 20/20 and Gettlemen ended up getting a franchise QB and a franchise RB, just not in the order other people wanted him to. 

My only argument is that when compared to us picking an overrated and very low performing DT at 3 in 2019, Gettleman made a better draft pick at 2 in 2018 with Barkley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Again, I'm not arguing that part of your statement. Only that hindsight is 20/20 and Gettlemen ended up getting a franchise QB and a franchise RB, just not in the order other people wanted him to. 

There's no such thing as a "franchise RB".  The shelf-life of most RB's is too short and the payoff of a having an elite RB is too limited to call them that.  

If Gettleman really didn't like the 2018 QB class, the proper move was to trade down rather than take Barkley there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Maxman said:

SO much criticism and some butt fumbles when I did this.

Please form a line to the left to thank me for the win. I will get to you when I get to you.

I remember that game so well. My family had season tickets but instead I went with a group of friends that was a mix of Giants and Jets fans. Tailgating before the game, all the Giants fans in our group were saying how the Jets were just going to let the Giants have it for the division because it didn't mean anything to the Jets, and if we didnt let the Giants win they would raise our rent. I was about 10 rows back in the corner of the end zone where Toon caught that TD. One of the more fun Jets games Ive been to. The fact that game is 31 years ago makes me feel so old..... Thanks for posting, great memories. I also completely forgot that Kotite was on that staff back then!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's no such thing as a "franchise RB".  The shelf-life of most RB's is too short and the payoff of a having an elite RB is too limited to call them that.  

If Gettleman really didn't like the 2018 QB class, the proper move was to trade down rather than take Barkley there.

Yup, no matter how good Barkley may be, the only way you take him is in that spot is if you are in a 3 year run to win SB's. The fact that they didnt have a QB and were at least 3 years from competing if everything goes well and they still took him there is absolutely insane. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's no such thing as a "franchise RB".  The shelf-life of most RB's is too short and the payoff of a having an elite RB is too limited to call them that.  

If Gettleman really didn't like the 2018 QB class, the proper move was to trade down rather than take Barkley there.

Saying there is no such thing as a franchise RB is just silly. There are plenty of RBs determined to be the faces of their respective franchises regardless of it turning in to a passing league. 

Again, proper move or not is subjective, and maybe the deal he wanted wasnt there, so he took his BPA. The decisions he made in 2018 led him to land his franchise QB in 2019. Now he has two great players. 

More talent on their O Line and some Defensive improvements (much like us) and they will be competitive again, and none of these arguments will matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Saying there is no such thing as a franchise RB is just silly. There are plenty of RBs determined to be the faces of their respective franchises regardless of it turning in to a passing league. 

 

Until their rookie contract comes to an end, and they either let them go (Le'Veon) or give the RB a monster 2nd contract and end up with buyer's remorse (Gurley).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Until their rookie contract comes to an end, and they either let them go (Le'Veon) or give the RB a monster 2nd contract and end up with buyer's remorse (Gurley).  

Doesnt change the fact there are players at the position viewed as the faces of the franchise... thus a "franchise" player.

Elliot, Gordon, Kamara, Barkley, Cook, McCaffery. Go further back, E Smith, Peterson, Ricky Williams, C Mart, Beast Mode, Fred Taylor, freaking Bo Jackson, etc etc. The list goes on for awhile. 

A franchise player isnt exclusive to the QB position, it just is to us Jets fans because we have never had one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Doesnt change the fact there are players at the position viewed as the faces of the franchise... thus a "franchise" player.

Elliot, Gordon, Kamara, Barkley, Cook, McCaffery. Go further back, E Smith, Peterson, Ricky Williams, C Mart, Beast Mode, Fred Taylor, freaking Bo Jackson, etc etc. The list goes on for awhile. 

A franchise player isnt exclusive to the QB position, it just is to us Jets fans because we have never had one...

 

Problem is the list of players you provided have 4 Super Bowl rings between them, with 3 of them belonging to Emmitt Smith and the other belonging to Marshawn Lynch.  And while both RB's were heavy contributors on those teams, I think we can all agree that Dallas's dominant O-Line and Seattle's "Legion of Boom" defense played bigger roles in the success of those 2 teams.  

Meanwhile, none of what you're saying negates the point I'm making:  That the Giants should have traded down from 2 rather than take Barkley.  It's nice that they have a stud RB.  But their record since drafting this generational, "franchise" RB is 7-19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Problem is the list of players you provided have 4 Super Bowl rings between them, with 3 of them belonging to Emmitt Smith and the other belonging to Marshawn Lynch.  And while both RB's were heavy contributors on those teams, I think we can all agree that Dallas's dominant O-Line and Seattle's "Legion of Boom" defense played bigger roles in the success of those 2 teams.  

Meanwhile, none of what you're saying negates the point I'm making:  That the Giants should have traded down from 2 rather than take Barkley.  It's nice that they have a stud RB.  But their record since drafting this generational, "franchise" RB is 7-19.

Legion of Boom so much more important than Beast Mode?...insert massive eye roll.. The year they won the SB, he led the league in rushing TDs and had 400 yards rushing and 4 TDs in 3 playoff games lol and also rushed for over 1k and double digit TDs every season but his last with them. 

Emmitt had 11 straight 1k+ seasons with an O Line that was a rotating cast after the first few years. Were they good? Sure. But he was 100% the driving force of that team. I assure you, you're in the minority when it comes to that opinion on Emmitt. 

So your opinion is they should have traded down, even if they did, maybe they end up with Josh Allen as their QB who isnt nearly as good as Daniel Jones, and then who knows who they would have taken this year, they could have an even worse record. I have a set of eyes, I can clearly see what Barkley can do, I can clearly see that Daniel Jones was a better pick than people thought, and we all saw first hand what Tate looks like in their offense. One more offseason and Gettlemen will probably have them in a good position and nobody will even care that he passed on anyone in 2018. 

It comes down to this, he found his franchise QB in 2019, so who gives a fk that he passed on one the year prior? Mayfield is a nutcase and would get chewed up in NY, Allen is subpar, Rosen will be out of the league, Jackson nobody saw coming, and Darnold the jury is still out. So even with hindsight, he may not have gotten the selection right anyways, but he DID get his selection right in 2019, so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bugg said:

Does this mean Ann Margaret's not coming? 

I wanna slip my tube snake into your sister, whataya take in trade? ....whataya got?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JTJet said:

Again, I'm not arguing that part of your statement. Only that hindsight is 20/20 and Gettlemen ended up getting a franchise QB and a franchise RB, just not in the order other people wanted him to. 

My only argument is that when compared to us picking an overrated and very low performing DT at 3 in 2019, Gettleman made a better draft pick at 2 in 2018 with Barkley. 

OK. We'll just have to wait and evaluate that in three years. Either way I think taking a RB or DT that high is a mistake.

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...