Where are they now , Scott Mersereau ?

Scott Mersereau was a more than able pass rusher for the New York Jets in the late 80’s and early 90’s.

This morning, we are going to take another look back with our “Where are they now?” series. We look back at a memorable player from the past, relive a bit of their accomplishments with the team, and then go and see what they are doing these days.

In case you missed it, we took a look at running back Johnny Hector.  This morning, we are taking a look at a guy on the defensive side of the football, who was a talented football player.  Unfortunately, he became memorable for an unfortunate incident that took place late in his career, but he was a good player in his time in New York.

The spotlight is on DT Scott Mersereau.

THEN: How much do you guys remember about Scott Mersereau? He was drafted in the 5th round of the 1987 draft, by the Los Angeles Rams. He landed with the Jets in 1987 and ending up playing with the team through 1993. Here are his career stats:

SEASON TEAM GP COMB TOTAL AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYDS KB
1987 13 0 0 0 1.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1988 16 0 0 0 4.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1989 16 0 0 0 0.5 0 0 0 1 4 4 4 0 0 0 0 0
1990 16 0 0 0 4.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1991 13 0 0 0 2.0 0 1 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1992 15 0 0 0 5.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1993 13 33 28 5 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Career 102 33 28 5 19.0 0 1 0 3 4 1 4 0 0 0 0 0

Scott had quite the influence on the interior of the Jets’ defensive line for some very bad teams over the years. Unfortunately, he became well-known in 1992 for an accident. In a game against the Kansas City Chiefs, he and Dennis Byrd were rushing Chiefs’ QB Dave Krieg. Krieg stepped up in the pocket, causing Mersereau and Byrd to collide, and we all know what happened to Dennis Byrd.

What happened to Scott in the collision? Well, he thought that he had a sprained ankle, so he played the rest of the 1992 season and all of the 1993 season. He required significant amounts of painkiller injections in 1993 due to back pain, and was released after the ’93 season. He tried to catch on with the Packers in 1994, but failed the team physical and that was it for Scott Mersereau’s NFL career.

NOW: After retirement, the back pain continued for Scott Mersereau. So much so, that he had 2 unsuccessful attempts at back surgery before a 1996 spinal fusion was a success. However, that recovery left him bed-ridden for 6 months.

He is married with 4 children, living in Florida as a financial advisor. In his spare time, he coaches football at Boca Raton Community High School.

#94, Scott Mersereau.

• Upvote 1

Product of Mercy High School, Riverhead Long Island. I had friends who said when he would visit from college in CT he kept getting bigger & bigger and his forehead started looking a bit cro magnon, a symptom of steroid use back then. 

2 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

He landed with the Jets in 1987

Well, yeah, he was a scab during the strike.  Oh, I'm sorry, "replacement player".

For what it's worth, he played quite well during those games where the management was trying to break the union, so he stuck.  I really disliked this guy at the start for that reason.  However, as the years went by and he turned in good plays and helped the Jets a lot, I decided that he had more than proven he really belonged in the NFL despite the way he got to the Jets, and grew to appreciate him.

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Product of Mercy High School, Riverhead Long Island. I had friends who said when he would visit from college in CT he kept getting bigger & bigger and his forehead started looking a bit cro magnon, a symptom of steroid use back then. 

I got recruited by Southern Connecticut back in 90 and Merserau was one of their alums a few years earlier. I remember when I visited that he held every weight lifting record for the University when I had the chance too tour the weight room.

• Upvote 2