Robby to command $13-$15m APY

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Whoa there, if they somehow sign Cooper then there is no Anderson. In that case it's then just a rookie starter with them, or at most try for Perriman or even less. I'm not good with boxing a rookie out completely; I'm just not in favor of relying on a rookie to be the #1 or #2 WR a month before the draft, before we even know whInch guy we'll take when, and don't want to lock us into any position in any round.

It really is going to take a few years for Douglas to totally right this ship. Not a few years to be seriously competitive, but it’ll take a few years before he can better start his highest picks as a better combination of BAP and need; right now he’s forced into way too heavy on need only at one of 2 position groups on offense only. There’s just no pipeline - at WR in particular - because of the lack of higher investment (and the bust mid-level investments that were made). OL is even worse because you-know-who never filled holes in advance. His only semi-serious attempt at this was Edoga, and this is what happens when you leave no margin for error: if that guy isn’t really good right away like a top pick, your next offseason is a mess. As it turns out he wasn’t good, Winters got even worse, and his one big offseason OL splash in Osemele was totally useless and he got suckered. Combine that with extending neither of his incumbent tackles and you have a clusterf**k that doesn’t allow the team to put blinders on just draft the best WR no matter who’s on the board. 

I see what you're saying but you are speculating a lot as to what I'm thinking here. If the Jets Sign Cooper and Anderson for what he should really be worth (a 700 yard on average WR) We can still grab a rookie and give him plenty of opportunities to compete. We can always use Robbie as the Burner and if the Rookie is good enough then we have Robbie as the number 3 and that would work great since Robbie is not the guy to be running over the middle or taking WR Screens. Like you said "over Supply" ain't killing no one :) . Plus Gase likes to use a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets. Sets I think a guy like Herndon can excel in as well BTW with Griffin on the line in the empty backfield sets 

Now in your last post you talked about Robbie making a few nice contested catches this year, and he did, the problem is he has dropped a ton of contested balls throughout his career and he's not the guy you want to rely on to throw up a ball and go muscle up and make the grab to get that first down, that's what extends drives and wins games. So as we have all said over and over Robbie is a one trick pony that can be reliable to do one thing good, that's take the top off the defense when needed. Robbie, for all intents and purposes, was our Number one guy this year and he didn't even approach number one WR numbers but yet is looking for 13 to 15 mil per ? That's just nuts . Also for such a burner his average is 14 per catch and that's not impressing anyone .... Funny thing some compared him to Wesley Walker and that's crazy since wesley (a real burner type) averaged 25 yards per catch and was always in the 20 range throughout his career. So Robbies not even great at what he's supposed to be great at . Watching him on hot reads is also hilarious since he's terrible at it. I'm just going off now on how bad an all around WR Robbie actually is so when it comes down to it I would much rather just see him gone grab Cooper and a rookie and be happy with that

If the Jets spend all their resources (Picks and FA) I would be happy with a couple of real WR's and the rest on the OL

People are getting wayyy too caught up in his upper-700s receiving yards stemming from a combination of situations that he doesn’t control (on top of his neither being elite nor a “true #1 go-to WR,” which no one claims he is despite the constant straw-man argument). This was a bad place to be for a deep threat.

Among these situations just from the last year-ish alone:

• Darnold being and playing like a rookie as a rookie, then as a 2nd-year QB who wasn’t exactly providing a hundred catchable downfield throws in year 2 either; 
  • Darnold missing a few games this year outright and being replaced with Gase’s choice who couldn’t throw >5 yards;
  • a makeshift OL that was bad from the start, had regular changes, and didn’t regularly give enough protection to let deeper plays develop; 
  • Gase compounding the OL problem by not even letting Darnold roll out to buy more time on his own for the first half of his games, and then like Pee Wee Herman saying he meant to fall off his bike, laughably attempting to pass that off as an actual plan of his to get Darnold to speak up;
  • handicapping series after series by slavishly running Bell up the gut for minimal gain on 1st down and making it then easier to defend a pass everyone then knows is upcoming; 
  • a few wins where going deep was simply unnecessary as they scored 30+ while playing it safer, and credit Gase for not snatching defeat from the arms of victory by doing so;
  • and frankly other than the few obvious games, honestly Darnold was nothing special himself.

The truth is the only guys on the team with a really good catch rate were running short, underneath patterns: Bell and Griffin. Meanwhile far more fan priase goes to Crowder for a lower-60s % catch rate (and dropping twice as many passes as Anderson) while running his quick 7-9 yard routes. 

I’m in no way saying bring him back no matter the cost, let alone that he’s so great or crucial that the team can’t field a good offense without him; there will be other options. If Douglas has a better veteran WR option up his sleeve, I’m all for it. But I’m not behind only one starting, veteran WR to enter y3 of Darnold just to avoid 1 season of overpaying a familiar deep threat veteran starting WR by backup LB or dimeback money nor to upgrade the QB2 dollars from Siemian/Moore to Keenum/Daniel/Taylor. 

There’s also an almost snobbish, binary look at outside WRs as either elite WR1s or garbage; and Anderson in particular as merely some deep decoy WR3/4 who was propped up to look semi-competent only by the smoke & mirrors of good deep-throwing QB play of a year 1-2 Darnold; a weak-armed Josh McCown in 2017; a melting down Fitz in 2016; mixed in with some 14 combined starts from Bryce Petty + Luke Falk + a useless 2018 McCown after Darnold’s benching-not-benching; mostly behind a shaky OL; annually-changing playbooks/terminology/OCs/WRCs with less than perfectly-timed playcalling throughout; and mostly below-average ground attacks to keep an extra defender or two up at/by the line (or constantly keep an extra DB off the field outright).

These are the 2016-2019 Jets offenses of his career. It’d take an elite/WR1 to really thrive as a deep route WR in that scenario, if even that would happen. Well Anderson is not elite, I wouldn’t pay him like an elite WR, and barring some team’s improbable stupidity he won’t command an elite WR’s contract anyway. Under a $200MM cap, as a UFA some $11-13MM (the less the better) might have to do for one year - even if I’d rather have a better WR for less myself - to give Douglas more options earlier in the draft and give rookies a little more time than a rookie summer to develop, rather than risk hanging Darnold out to dry in September.

We waited for the team to draft a Darnold for over a decade; I don’t get the fervor to save a one-time supposed overpayment of $3MM over what some perceive to be his actual value, itself mostly based on others’ older, soon-expiring (if not rookie) contracts mostly signed as extensions not as UFAs.

That’s the Jets Tax for betting and losing on 2017-2019 WR investment plans of Enunwa, Stewart, and Hansen instead of extending Anderson over a year ago, followed by Macdufus drafting zero WRs in the 10 picks since Darnold unexpectedly fell to him, so he could accumulate more alleged-BAP DTs and his bust edge rusher with his day 1-2 picks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

There’s also an almost snobbish, binary look at outside WRs as either elite WR1s or garbage; and Anderson in particular as merely some deep decoy WR3/4 who was propped up to look semi-competent only by the smoke & mirrors good deep-throwing QB play of a year 1-2 Darnold; a weak-armed Josh McCown in 2017; a melting down Fitz in 2016; mixed in with some 14 combined starts from Bryce Petty + Luke Falk + a useless 2018 McCown after Darnold’s benching-not-benching; mostly behind a shaky OL; annually-changing playbooks/terminology/OCs/WRCs with less than perfectly-timed playcalling throughout; and mostly below-average ground attacks to keep an extra defender or two up at/by the line (or constantly keep an extra DB off the field outright).

These are the 2016-2019 Jets offenses of his career. It’d take an elite/WR1 to really thrive as a deep route WR in that scenario, if even that would happen. Well Anderson is not elite, I wouldn’t pay him like an elite WR, and barring some team’s improbable stupidity he won’t command an elite WR’s contract anyway. Under a $200MM cap, as a UFA some $11-13MM (the less the better) might have to do for one year - even if I’d rather have a better WR for less myself - to give Douglas more options earlier in the draft and give rookies a little more time than a rookie summer to develop, rather than risk hanging Darnold out to dry in September.

We waited for the team to draft a Darnold for over a decade; I don’t get the fervor to save a one-time supposed overpayment of $3MM over what some perceive to be his actual value, itself mostly based on others’ older, soon-expiring (if not rookie) contracts mostly signed as extensions not as UFAs.

That’s the Jets Tax for betting and losing on 2017-2019 WR investment plans of Enunwa, Stewart, and Hansen instead of extending Anderson over a year ago, followed by Macdufus drafting zero WRs in the 10 picks since Darnold unexpectedly fell to him, so he could accumulate more alleged-BAP DTs and his bust edge rusher with his day 1-2 picks.

anderson is valuable, he scores touchdowns and (insert cris carter joke here) the jets need touchdowns.  he would have had more if darnold hit him in stride on a few more throws.  fix the OL and there's more touchdowns still.  i fully expect douglas to keep him, since he already knows he's got to devote 2 high picks to the OL and that's before you consider rb/cb needs.  robbie stays.  not so sure about adams, since douglas did not come out and say that adams will remain a jet.