interviewing assistant coaches: rule change

I like it. I'm sure it's a part of their bigger effort to give minority candidates more opportunities, too. 

Doesn't feel like, "the first time," though. I'm pretty sure it used to be that coaches could interview for any job that represented a promotion (which led to a lot of "assistant head coach" titles out there, lol). 

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Folks tend to like stuff like this, till it happens to them.

Can you imagine a Jets run where we are sitting before the Super Bowl......and half the staff is interviewing instead of preparing for the big game?

A better rule, IMO, would be to ban/bar ALL post-season Coaching hires until after the Super Bowl is completed.

That way every coach gets an even playing field starting the new league year, and every team gets equal and fair access to the same field of potential coaches. 

Works for players and Free Agency, why wouldn't a similar system work for Coaches?

They'll never ban all head coaching hires until after the Super Bowl, and they shouldn't. Most of those hires are made in early January. Putting it off until after the Super Bowl means that these bad teams (presumably, if they have a head coach opening) are now at an additional disadvantage of having one less month to prepare for the off-season. 

With two weeks between the Championship Games and the Super Bowl, they can limit interviews to a couple days in that first week. That's not going to be too much of a drag on preparation. 

22 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's not clear to me exactly what this means. When it refers to "assistant" coaches is that specifically referring to coaches with "assistant" in the title? So people still can't interview your offensive coordinator for their offensive coordinator position, right?

That's how I interpret it. 

I always thought that teams can block lateral coaching moves. But they can't block an interview that would be a promotion? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just to give an example if your a tight ends coach you can't just leave your contract with the team and go become another team's tight end Coach. But if they offer you an offensive coordinator position that can't be blocked.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

They'll never ban all head coaching hires until after the Super Bowl, and they shouldn't.

Agree to disagree.

Most of those hires are made in early January. Putting it off until after the Super Bowl means that these bad teams (presumably, if they have a head coach opening) are now at an additional disadvantage of having one less month to prepare for the off-season. 

An even playing field for all teams isn't a disadvantage.

With two weeks between the Championship Games and the Super Bowl, they can limit interviews to a couple days in that first week. That's not going to be too much of a drag on preparation. 

I wouldn't want any Jets Coach at any level worried more about his next job than he is about the coming playoff game of Super Bowl.  

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Folks tend to like stuff like this, till it happens to them.

Can you imagine a Jets run where we are sitting before the Super Bowl......and half the staff is interviewing instead of preparing for the big game?

A better rule, IMO, would be to ban/bar ALL post-season Coaching hires until after the Super Bowl is completed.

That way every coach gets an even playing field starting the new league year, and every team gets equal and fair access to the same field of potential coaches. 

Works for players and Free Agency, why wouldn't a similar system work for Coaches?

Agreed and I have also been saying this about college coaching as well for years.  Half the bowl games re getting coached by some assistant these days.  No  hires till the season is done.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I always thought that teams can block lateral coaching moves. But they can't block an interview that would be a promotion? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just to give an example if your a tight ends coach you can't just leave your contract with the team and go become another team's tight end Coach. But if they offer you an offensive coordinator position that can't be blocked.

that was just for the HC position, not coordinators. Now it includes coords.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agree to disagree.

An even playing field for all teams isn't a disadvantage.

I wouldn't want any Jets Coach at any level worried more about his next job than he is about the coming playoff game of Super Bowl.  

Easy solution.... tell them they are free to interview while we are preparing for the SuperBowl, but if they do, they’re fired. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Easy solution.... tell them they are free to interview while we are preparing for the SuperBowl, but if they do, they’re fired. 

How does that help matters?  It's too late to hire any replacement coaches at that point.  So you're still shorthanded.