Barton's - Mock Draft Vol1

Barton

Dont worry. I wont do these often. Maybe 1 more before the draft.

I know it pisses some people off, and I understand that.

Here's my mock draft, including my "mock free agency"

Free Agency

Must Fill hole at Nose Tackle. Grady Jackson would be nice. Jets Sign NT.

(I would go hard after LeCharles Bentley but I am not gonna include him in my plan because I think it is probably unrealistic and not going to happen.)

Trade - John Abraham for a 1st rd pick to a team in need of a primetime pass rusher (Chiefs, Falcons, Browns etc etc etc)

Here I trade Abraham to the Chiefs for their 1st rd pick (#20 overall)

The Draft

Jets have holes at OT, RDE, OLB, G/C.

Upgrades and depth at WR, CB, QB, RB, TE.

Jets have the #4 pick in the draft. And While I really like D'brick, I think its smart to not be married to just 1 option/player. To have an open mind is key, imo. So this pick my be a surprise to some, but I think in the end we will have a stronger team.

#4 - Mario Williams DE - Mangini lands cornerstone 3-4 defensive end to pair with Shaun Ellis and the newly acquired NT.

#20 - Thomas Howard OLB - Some might call this a reach right now, but watch this guy run a sub 4.5 and you'll be hoping he is still there at #20. I was extremely impressed with him from what I saw at the senior bowl. Most electric linebacker in the draft. Can cover, hit and showed off in pass rush drills from what I saw. Gives Mangini alot of flexibility for his blitz packages. Seems like a Mangini character guy. It will be a sight to see Mario Williams and Thomas Howard rushing after the QB.

#35 - Daryn Colledge RT - Again, some might call this a reach. I think he would be great value here with our 2nd rd pick. He might not be the biggest tackle in this draft, but he'll be at worst a solid tackle in the NFL. Is another guy I was very impressed with while watching the senior bowl coverage. Is very athletic. Colledge, imo, is a safe pick. A tuff Olineman that Mangini will like.

#71 - All about the options - We could go with many different players at this spot.

In order, should these players be available:

1. Charles Spencer if he was still on the board. Jump all over him.

Not likely he is still at #71, but you never know. Maybe alittle raw being a former Dlineman himself, but he's got all the physical talents you can ask for. Another player I was very impressed with while watching senior bowl practices and the game on ESPN.

2. Maurice Stovall, from the games I saw at Notre Dame, would be a steal here in the 3rd rd.

Not the fastest receiver, but neither was Keyshawn.

---Other options I like would be Greg Eslinger, Davin Joseph, Devin Hester. ---

Eslinger isnt very big, but he is the best pulling center in this draft.

He'd be a good understudy to Mawae for 1 season until he is ready in 2007.

Davin Joseph - not very high on him. Not that great, but he would be a decent option worth considering.

Devin Hester - All on potential for this pick. Here's a guy with great skills as a return man. Lets Justin Miller focus solely on cornerback. Who knows, maybe Mangini could really mold Hester into a good nickelback, the skillset is there.......

Thats all I got. I wont be doing the 2nd day of the draft until my next mock draft, which will be my last before the draft.

Our major issues are on OFFENSE. If we get a first round pick for Abe and then use both of our 1sts on defenders, I will completely lose confidence in the new regime. Mark Brown/Victor Hobson are not elite, but both are adequate starters. Outside linebacker is not a "huge hole". Quarterback damn sure is. Not saying I want a QB in the first round (I want Brick), but how can you possibly list OLB as a hole, but list quarterback as a position in which we just need depth? Hello? We have three outside linebackers that can start in this league, but we have ZERO quarterbacks that can.

We would be much better off taking Brick at 4, then using the extra first rounder on Kiwi or Hali to replace Abraham. We could then use pick 35 on Brodie Croyle.

Our major issues are on OFFENSE. If we get a first round pick for Abe and then use both of our 1sts on defenders, I will completely lose confidence in the new regime. Mark Brown/Victor Hobson are not elite, but both are adequate starters. Outside linebacker is not a "huge hole". Quarterback damn sure is. Not saying I want a QB in the first round (I want Brick), but how can you possibly list OLB as a hole, but list quarterback as a position in which we just need depth? Hello? We have three outside linebackers that can start in this league, but we have ZERO quarterbacks that can.

We would be much better off taking Brick at 4, then using the extra first rounder on Kiwi or Hali to replace Abraham. We could then use pick 35 on Brodie Croyle.

Honestly, I thought about this.

Adrian Jones is a solid LT - should only get better. While I thought he could be a decent RT, he recentley did a radio interview and said he is far more comfortable at LT. So if we draft Dbrick, it would just be opening up a new hole - at RT. Going with Daryn Colledge, he can play right tackle, and lets Jones stay at LT and grow into the position.

OLB - I have Hobson playing in the 3-4, as an ILB next to Vilma. Mark Brown sucks. Barton starts at OLB on the left side. In the 3-4, a playmaking passrushing OLB on the weakside is a must. Thomas Howard fits that bill.

QB - Depth, somebody to compete with Pennington. Best QB available with our 4th or 5th rd picks. Somebody like Drew Olsen is somebody I would consider. Go with Pennington (again I know) for the 2006 season. Why? Because the season is already a done over season. Let Pennington have 1 more final chance to have some success (with that large pay cutted salary). If he again gets hurt, or has an average season and proves to show he will never be back to his 2002 form, then we cut him after the 2006 season in which we will likely again have a top 10 pick, and we go hard after Brady Quinn/Drew Stanton in the 2007 NFL draft to be our future franchise QB.

Brodie Croyle is a complete waste of the 35th overall pick, jmo.

Complete waste. When I take a QB with such a high pick I would like to think

"Can this guy be a franchise type QB?"

"Can he, if necessary lead my team to the playoffs and beyond?"

I dont see that with Brodie Croyle. JMHO.

Hold off on the new QB until 2007, jmo.

Adrian Jones is a solid LT - should only get better. While I thought he could be a decent RT, he recentley did a radio interview and said he is far more comfortable at LT. So if we draft Dbrick, it would just be opening up a new hole - at RT. Going with Daryn Colledge, he can play right tackle, and lets Jones stay at LT and grow into the position.

OLB - I have Hobson playing in the 3-4, as an ILB next to Vilma. Mark Brown sucks. Barton starts at OLB on the left side. In the 3-4, a playmaking passrushing OLB on the weakside is a must. Thomas Howard fits that bill.

QB - Depth, somebody to compete with Pennington. Best QB available with our 4th or 5th rd picks. Somebody like Drew Olsen is somebody I would consider. Go with Pennington (again I know) for the 2006 season. Why? Because the season is already a done over season. Let Pennington have 1 more final chance to have some success (with that large pay cutted salary). If he again gets hurt, or has an average season and proves to show he will never be back to his 2002 form, then we cut him after the 2006 season in which we will likely again have a top 10 pick, and we go hard after Brady Quinn/Drew Stanton in the 2007 NFL draft to be our future franchise QB.

That was a good analytical post.

Look's like I have to change my signature.;)

i think croyle has the potential to be a pretty good player but if we are going to use #35 on a QB let's get schaub. otherwise whitehurst or jacobs in rd 3 or 4.

Good job EB, surprised you didn't go 7 rounds ~wink~

Personally, I know people at the Combine where wondering if the UTEP linebacker is nothing more than a super workout warrior....

He dropped 3 easy int's in the Senior Bowl alone and every time I watched him this seaon (3 times) his name was barely mentioned...

That said, great workout numbers always grab attention.

Overall, super effort.....

Sorry but I think it's flawed right from the onset. I don't see ANYONE giving up a 1st for Abe, and think that we'll be lucky if we get a 2nd. Teams know that our sack is being twisted in a bad way, as we can't afford to sign Abe long term since his # will be pretty much impossible to fit under the cap.

Teams will be cautious about ponying up a first round pick on a "me first" player who has had only one complete season without injuries, a player who has his best "big" games, against opposing teams with inferior lines and crappy records.

As much as I'd like to land a mid round first for Abe, I don't see it within the realm of possibility.

Sure, Adrian Jones can be a solid left tackle. Daryl Colledge can be a solid right tackle. But D'Brickashaw Ferguson can be a GREAT left tackle.I am pretty sure Adrian Jones just began playing offensive tackle during his senior year in college. It's not as if he's been playing left tackle his entire life. He's been playing it three years and he can learn to play on the right side. Having Adrian Jones on the team already is no excuse for passing up a possible franchise tackle. That would be like passing on Reggie Bush because you already have Mewelde Moore.

Honestly, I would rather have Brady Quinn than any quarterback in this year's class. You got me there, I agree with that point of view. I do think Croyle will be better in the pros than he was in college, though. He will be the best out of the non-first round quarterbacks this year. I would use the second rounder on whoever the highest rated player at guard, wide reciever, or running back is. You never know who is going to slip out of the first round.

I gotta say I liked your draft scenario because:

1. Very well thought out

2. I thought you drafted with the mentality of best player available along with considering the needs.

I do think that if we are going to take a QB in this draft then I think it needs to be someone a little later in day 1 or early day 2 rather than go hih with it. Too much risk at this point and combine that with all the other needs (mainly oline) using a best player available approach but also considering overall needs is the way to go and the way I think (hope) Mangini wants to coach.

Sorry but I think it's flawed right from the onset. I don't see ANYONE giving up a 1st for Abe, and think that we'll be lucky if we get a 2nd. Teams know that our sack is being twisted in a bad way, as we can't afford to sign Abe long term since his # will be pretty much impossible to fit under the cap.

Teams will be cautious about ponying up a first round pick on a "me first" player who has had only one complete season without injuries, a player who has his best "big" games, against opposing teams with inferior lines and crappy records.

As much as I'd like to land a mid round first for Abe, I don't see it within the realm of possibility.

One question:

You don't think Jabe is better than the college kid that comes out at #20???:confused:

#1. Look who the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs is.

#2. See #1

Seriously though, I see your point. But if the chiefs or another team with a middle rd/20-25 pick desperately craves a pass rushing defensive end, they could get a proven commodity with John Abraham. Chances are Kiwi and Mario Williams arent their at 20, maybe not Tamba Hali either. There arent many other options, especially considering none of them are sure things to be great pass rusher like John Abraham.

What happens to Robertson in that scenario?

Round peg - Square hole

I dont see how Robertson could possibly be a 3-4 defensive end. He's short, and while he did run a 4.8, he sure as hell doesnt play that fast.

BUT, when we did play a 3-4 alittle in 2004, Drob was lined up as the RDE.

Maybe he could play NT - I know bit thinks he can. But if that knee injury is severe there will be big time problems for him, whether its in the 3-4 or 4-3.

3-4 doesnt maximizes Drobs skillset. But honestly, I dont really give a sh#t. :Nuts:

Maybe he could play NT - I know bit thinks he can. But if that knee injury is severe there will be big time problems for him, whether its in the 3-4 or 4-3.

And bit still thinks it was a great move by the Jets giving up two 1st's and a 4th for DFat.:eek:

There is no way DFat could play the nose full-time in a 3-4 defense. His strength's (agility and quickness) would be completely neutralized and no way would he be able to absorb double-teams in order to free up the LB's.

Yo Riggs, how can you be such a smart guy about the draft but can't figure out how to turn on your smileys on a message board?:eek:

Maxman needs to hold my hand to find the smileys, but he's too busy dealing with soap operas? ~LOL~

I'll give it another look in my CP panel

this thread scares me.....barton and tx are agreeing and getting along...

THE END IS NEAR!!!

Nah, the problem with Barton is he has 9 solid posts that I can agree with, and then he comes out with a completely dumbass statement like he'd rather take a kicker then Vince Young.:eek:

Nah, the problem with Barton is he has 9 solid posts that I can agree with, and then he comes out with a completely dumbass statement like he'd rather take a kicker then Vince Young.:eek:

lol barton im sorry...but that made me laugh hahaha

Round peg - Square hole

I dont see how Robertson could possibly be a 3-4 defensive end. He's short, and while he did run a 4.8, he sure as hell doesnt play that fast.

BUT, when we did play a 3-4 alittle in 2004, Drob was lined up as the RDE.

3-4 doesnt maximizes Drobs skillset. But honestly, I dont really give a sh#t. :Nuts:

okay,so what do you do with him then? Just tell him to take your $6+ million and get fatter on the bench? Cut him and take that cap hit? Try to trade him?

okay,so what do you do with him then? Just tell him to take your $6+ million and get fatter on the bench? Cut him and take that cap hit? Try to trade him?

Who knows. Obviously give him a chance to earn a spot on the 3-4, wherever it may be.

Relegate him to the 4-3 packages, effectively making him a role player. Patriots Dlineman do this, I think tx would agree.

Not sure what the cap effects would be in trading Drob........?

Teams know that our sack is being twisted in a bad way, as we can't afford to sign Abe long term since his # will be pretty much impossible to fit under the cap.
It will be much easier to fit a long term deal under the cap than it will the franchise tag number.

I've said it before and I'll say it again now, people here really need to start considering the possibility that Abe will not be tagged and traded, but instead will be released. In order to be traded, he first has to be given the franchise tag which requires the Jets to have at least $8.3m of cap room available. As we know the cap situation isn't exactly healthy so the Jets may struggle just to get under the cap, let alone get more than $8.3m under so thay can use the tag.

It will be much easier to fit a long term deal under the cap than it will the franchise tag number.

I've said it before and I'll say it again now, people here really need to start considering the possibility that Abe will not be tagged and traded, but instead will be released. In order to be traded, he first has to be given the franchise tag which requires the Jets to have at least $8.3m of cap room available. As we know the cap situation isn't exactly healthy so the Jets may struggle just to get under the cap, let alone get more than $8.3m under so thay can use the tag.

Check the wire today, somehow they are going to find the room to franchise our disgruntled DE. Let's see how this one pans out. I am all for a first rounder, just don't think its very likely, but stranger things have happened right?

Check the wire today, somehow they are going to find the room to franchise our disgruntled DE. Let's see how this one pans out. I am all for a first rounder, just don't think its very likely, but stranger things have happened right?
I commented on today's news in another thread. It would seem the cap situation is nowhere near as bad as it has been previously reported.

Then again, I thought the news leaks had stopped since Mangini was hired. How do we know that this news isn't just some reporter stating his opinion and claiming it is from an 'inside source'.

I think if Cutler or Leinart are available at 4 we are taking a QB. Not sure we'd draft Young at 4. Unless both Leinart and Cutler are gone at 4, I think we are going Qb first round. And we should, being that we don't have a QB for next year let alone the future..

Archived