Chad to Agent: Keep me in NY

PhinHater

Chad: Keep me in green

Pennington believed to have told agent to resolve situation with team

BY KEN BERGER

STAFF WRITER

February 24, 2006

Chad Pennington is rehabbing his right shoulder in Florida, but his arm apparently is in good enough shape to point his agent in the right direction before a crucial meeting with Jets management at the scouting combine.

Jets officials arrived in Indianapolis yesterday, as did Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, who is believed to have gotten very specific marching offers from the injured quarterback.

Pennington very much wants to stay in his green and white No. 10 jersey.

Although Pennington already has rejected the Jets' offer to take a steep pay cut to return next season, he is believed to have instructed Condon to do everything in his power to keep him with the Jets.

Whether the feeling is mutual will become apparent by the time Condon and Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum meet face-to-face this weekend in an attempt to resolve the quarterback's contract.

During a lengthy interview session upon arriving in Indianapolis, Tannenbaum said the two sides have had "many conversations" and are "in the middle of active negotiations."

The talks are aimed at finding a way to lower Pennington's $12 million salary cap figure for 2006. The Jets already have the ability to lower that number to $7.5 million by guaranteeing Pennington's base salary of $6 million next season, but the cash-strapped team wants to go even farther.

The deadline is March 3, when Pennington is due a $3 million roster bonus that the Jets don't want to pay because he is coming off his second right shoulder operation in as many seasons.

Running back Curtis Martin, who has restructured his contract to give the Jets more cap room, endorsed bringing Pennington back yesterday on ESPN Radio.

"I will play with Chad any day, I don't care what anybody says," said Martin, who nonetheless couched his support based on Pennington's health.

"If his shoulder comes back healthy," Martin added. "I would like to see if it does."

Tannenbaum said resolving Pennington's situation "can happen today" or "can happen three meals from now. It's hard to say."

It all depends on how often you eat - and on whether the Jets have decided that Pennington is too damaged to rely on anymore.

Coach Eric Mangini said in Indianapolis yesterday that he is "very comfortable" with the Jets' cap situation after millions were shaved off this week with a flurry of roster moves.

But the situation could become complicated if defensive end John Abraham decides to sign his $8.3 million tender as the team's franchise player. If Abraham signs the offer, which his representatives received yesterday, the Jets would be required to clear the cap space by next Friday.

Dude, open your eyes.

Exactly what other options did PennyBoy have?:eek:

His only other option would be to hook onto some other team as a back-up QB for the NFL minimum salary.

He could easily go to K.C. and challenge Trent Green. Herm wants to retire in 2 years. So he is going to have to ruin that franchise quicker than it was originally believed.

Give me a break Pats...I was never one of the people saying Chad will hold out for the money or get cut. This kid is not like that regardless of what people think of his agent. He is smart enough to know what is going on, too many people just feed into the media nonsense

Look for them to meet at some middle ground dollar filgure wise.

A healthy Pennington can then grab some of the incentives.

From the Jets perspective, PennyBoy's new contract should be very simple:

$1 Million salary

$8 Million in playing-time incentives (50% of offensive snaps in ALL 16 games)

This should be a non-negotiable, take-it-or-leave-it offer from the Jets.

If PennyBoy can get his fragile a** on the playing field, he would not lose a dime of money.

Give me a break Pats...I was never one of the people saying Chad will hold out for the money or get cut. This kid is not like that regardless of what people think of his agent. He is smart enough to know what is going on, too many people just feed into the media nonsense

4H, I agree with you.

My point to you in my earlier post should have been worded different.

CuMar's decision to do what he did had absolutely no bearing on PennyBoy's decision because PennyBoy has ZERO options.

Chad doesn't have ZERO options. But in February it's VERY risky for him to turn down what the Jets are offering:

1) doesn't know if his shoulder will ever heal - positive thoughts notwithstanding - and could end up like Tim Couch. Even if it does heal, the days of NFL teams coming to Condon with monster contract offers for Chad are over.

2) even if he gets an incentive-laden contract, the incentives won't be as good elsewhere (no one's going to give him a contract where he can make $6M or more in incentives in 2006)

3) if he doesn't get an incentive-laden deal, but is able to play & would've reached said incentives, he'll still be SOL without a new CBA since next year he could only make 30% more than he did in 2006. If he even gets $2M elsewhere for 2006, then the most he could get in 2007 is $2.6M.

Dude, open your eyes.

Exactly what other options did PennyBoy have?:eek:

His only other option would be to hook onto some other team as a back-up QB for the NFL minimum salary.

you know Tx I don't always dis-agree with what you say, but dam boy, why do you always have to say it in such a negative fashion?? :box:

Look for them to meet at some middle ground dollar filgure wise.

A healthy Pennington can then grab some of the incentives.

Not going to happen. I expect him to probably get at most $3 million w/incentives this year. You have to remember that if John Abraham signs the Tender - WE GET A $8.5 MIL hit that has to be lowered by Next Friday or we pay a LUXURY TAX for every day that we're over...

Not going to happen. I expect him to probably get at most $3 million w/incentives this year. You have to remember that if John Abraham signs the Tender - WE GET A $8.5 MIL hit that has to be lowered by Next Friday or we pay a LUXURY TAX for every day that we're over...

They gotta get this CBA done, they just got to.

Too much at stake

I agree with TX here, to an extent.

If Pennington gets cut, he will land somewhere else. But there will be no team other than the Jets that offers him up to $8 million. The Jets deal is the best one Pennington is going to get and don't think he doesn't know it. He does have other options, though, just not better ones.

I think the Jets hold the line at 2 million and 6 mil in incentives...anything more than that and they are wasting money. As it is, CP should be cut...two bad injuries to the THROWING SHOULDER....that is essential to a QB...

Come On now...if they go above two million, they are suckers.

LL

Let's see:

a) Take a reduced salary which is still quite a bit of money to stay on the Jets and probably be the opening day starter next year.

or

B) Get cut. Maybe get signed to a one year contract paying the league minimum to be another team's back-up. Spend the rest of career holding a clipboard.

I wonder what Mr. Rhodes Scholar finalist would choose?

I think the Jets hold the line at 2 million and 6 mil in incentives...anything more than that and they are wasting money. As it is, CP should be cut...two bad injuries to the THROWING SHOULDER....that is essential to a QB...

Come On now...if they go above two million, they are suckers.

LL

I think that may be the deal. With Upshaw screaming a "NO CAP YEAR" for '07 due to the collective barganing agreement going out the window until '08 - That's right kids, I do not see the NFLPA signing off on anything until '08 - Tannenbaum will more than likely to put any contract for Chad, or even Abe pay off all incentives/bonuses in '07!

Archived